Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
According to the charts CEOs just do meetings. But if that's all they do then that must mean they have meetings about other meetings. Just constantly comparing every meeting like a lovely new partner who can't stop talking about how their ex sooo wouldn't have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

nexous posted:

Here is the helpful chart

You've found it. THe most infuriating graph

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Anora posted:

So when Elon defaults on his $44 billion loan what happens?

Like who starts repossessing what?

The government comes and bails him out

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Thanks for attending this 9:45pm standup. We’ve got a lot to get through but I just want to say I’m super thankful to be your new manager. Now first of all I know what Elon wants, I’ve spoken with him directly. We’re best buds. He wants results. End of day, let’s do it. Get that site back up. Rewrite it if you have to. But I want to see those commits, on the hour. Also, management says everyone’s back in the office, mandatory, 9 to 9, until we are done. But we are going to be making the best products. The absolute best.

Now before you get back to work, let’s go through this new style guide I’ve made—

*servers in the next room set on fire*

See that’s the kind of initiative I like to see. Pushing everything we’ve got as hard as it can go. Good work team. Back to the style guide—you have a question? A linter? What’s that? That’s not a thing. Anyway let’s save those questions for later, I’ve got a lot of slides to get through here…

*building collapses*

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

So… laid off employees got promised 3 months of severance. What happens if the company doesn’t last 3 months?

When you’re laid off and paid severance, you usually get paid in a lump sum so hopefully the checks will be cashed before Twitter goes tits up

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I get that billionaires didn't simply bootstrap themselves into that position but he must have been good at something at some point right?

I feel like he must have been able to manage his impulsive tendencies better before he found an audience of people willing to applaud everything he did.

He's got a knack for spending money on technology companies that are on their way up. Specifically his daddy's blood emerald money.

Kibayasu posted:

He was good at spending his money on buying companies doing things so it looked like he was doing things.

Except it's never "his" money. It's someone else's, or another company's.

priznat posted:

Elon being CEO of 3 companies plus whatever he is at Twitter leads one to wonder - how much work do CEOs actually do

Well, you've seen how much he's been shitposting. Draw your own conclusion.

Bluemillion posted:

You know it's kinda weird how he owns both Tesla and SpaceX, yet Twitter is what caused him to crash and burn.

I want you to know I noticed this, and applaud it.
:golfclap:

Free speech at least requires recognizing a joke.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Just thinking about this scene from Star Trek Disco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

realtime internal twitter video leak just dropped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Thanks for attending this 9:45pm standup. We’ve got a lot to get through but I just want to say I’m super thankful to be your new manager. Now first of all I know what Elon wants, I’ve spoken with him directly. We’re best buds. He wants results. End of day, let’s do it. Get that site back up. Rewrite it if you have to. But I want to see those commits, on the hour. Also, management says everyone’s back in the office, mandatory, 9 to 9, until we are done. But we are going to be making the best products. The absolute best.

Now before you get back to work, let’s go through this new style guide I’ve made—

See that’s the kind of initiative I like to see. Pushing everything we’ve got as hard as it can go. Good work team. Back to the style guide—you have a question? A linter? What’s that? That’s not a thing. Anyway let’s save those questions for later, I’ve got a lot of slides to get through here…

*building collapses*

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

fondly remembering the time laura loomer attempted to chain herself to the twitter building to protest being banned and literally nobody cared

...I wonder if she'll start a gofundme for the $8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

redgubbinz posted:

fondly remembering the time laura loomer attempted to chain herself to the twitter building to protest being banned and literally nobody cared

She chained herself to a door that wasn't essential or blocking anything.
People just walked past her to get in/out of the building.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

duct taping myself to the backup utility closet to own the libs

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

redgubbinz posted:

:lol: I had completely forgotten this

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

it's probably this tweet but twitter is loading real slow for me today

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

I had a gym teacher in high school who said almost exactly this. He also added, "if you print that I'll kick your rear end." And they printed it and the threat. :lol:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Who's ready for tomorrow's fresh hell and chaos

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Anora posted:

So when Elon defaults on his $44 billion loan what happens?

Like who starts repossessing what?

We don't know, but it is safe to assume that the terms of his loans are extremely unfavorable to him in that instance. The banks he borrowed from are not completely stupid.

Realistically, he'll be forced to liquidate whatever he has to (mostly more Tesla stock) to pay it off, which will tank the price, which will make any future shareholder lawsuit against him that much stronger.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

VikingofRock posted:

Wishing I’d have heeded the warning sign and stopped watching at that point rather than slogging through 3 seasons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

You've found it. THe most infuriating graph

Pair this with the “living paycheck-to-paycheck on a $500k salary” chart and you’ve got a 1-2 combo that no one could survive

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wishing I’d have heeded the warning sign and stopped watching at that point rather than slogging through 3 seasons.

A lot of people are just treating it as a timeline error, and that the second Musk mention didn't happen or was about a different person with the last name "Musk."

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

ouch, my heart

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

redgubbinz posted:

I remember the trump lol thread watching the live stream. was extra funny when she started complaining about it being cold

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

VikingofRock posted:

This show sucked so bad lol

*building collapses*

:emptyquote:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

VikingofRock posted:

Lol

They also mentioned an Elon Musk Junior High or something in a later one, which I now assume is where they ship all the dumb annoying kids off to

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/BigTechAlert/status/1589739248261169152

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol

They also mentioned an Elon Musk Junior High or something in a later one, which I now assume is where they ship all the dumb annoying kids off to

finally, an institution to rival the prestigious Donda Academy

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

If getting mad at the onion isn’t a reality check, I don’t know what is. He’s going to have a meltdown for the ages and it’s going to be wonderful.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol

All the scifi books that named the first colonies of Mars after Musk are going to look reaaallll embarrassing soon.

Still lolling at Notchcubes.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Rigel posted:

We don't know, but it is safe to assume that the terms of his loans are extremely unfavorable to him in that instance. The banks he borrowed from are not completely stupid.

Realistically, he'll be forced to liquidate whatever he has to (mostly more Tesla stock) to pay it off, which will tank the price, which will make any future shareholder lawsuit against him that much stronger.

Musk took out a margin loan to pay for Twitter. The loan is backed by his shares of tesla.

That’s probably just relevant to the bank finances portions of the deal. Who knows what the specific were for the wealthy “friends” of musk that invested in the deal.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

All the scifi books that named the first colonies of Mars after Musk are going to look reaaallll embarrassing soon.

You are loving kidding me.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Happy Landfill posted:

The government comes and bails him out

That's why he's hoping for a Republican congress. The next budget will have a 'free speech' package that is just 5 billion dollars for twitter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo new Star Trek is loving awful

Like really?! Elon Musk and the Wright Brothers?

It doesn't surprise me that talentless hack writer/ producer nepotism babies would worship the loving Emperor of talentless hack nepotism babies

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
MIT reports Twitter lost over 1 million users since Elon Musk’s takeover

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/11/mit-reports-twitter-lost-over-1-million-users-since-elon-musks-takeover.html?outputType=amp

One week into Elon Musk’s ownership of Twitter, the social media platform has reportedly lost over one million followers.

“We have observed an uptick in people deactivating their accounts and also Twitter suspending accounts,” said Christopher Bouzy, founder of the anti-disinformation and bot tracker platform Bot Sentinel.

MIT Technology Review reported that Bot Sentinel analyzed 3.1 million accounts on Twitter and “believes that around 877,000 accounts were deactivated and a further 497,000 were suspended between Oct. 27 and Nov. 1. That’s more than double the usual number.”

Bot Sentinel’s analysis watched a percentage of users with deactivated or suspended accounts before applying that percentage to the overall 237 million “monetizable daily active users” on Twitter. Based on the 5,958 accounts suspended or deleted the week before Musk’s takeover, it suggests a 208% increase in lost accounts

“We also believe the increase in suspensions is from Twitter taking action on accounts purposely violating Twitter’s rules to see if they can push the limits of ‘free speech,’” Bouzy told MIT Technology Review. He believes some users are testing what can and will not stay posted, such as posts using hate speech.

“I believe if users continue to deactivate their accounts en masse, it will become a significant problem for the platform,” Bouzy said. “If left-leaning and marginalized people leave the platform, Twitter will not differ from Parler or Truth Social.”

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

After he plays out whatever hand, I hope he has an actual moment of catharsis and goes, "Woops. Yeah that was a lot, sorry, sorry, I'm fixing it, sorry"

He is in a state of perma-dogpile lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Twincityhacker posted:

A lot of people are just treating it as a timeline error, and that the second Musk mention didn't happen or was about a different person with the last name "Musk."
I haven't watched the show but isn't the guy saying that actually from the evil mirror universe

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snuffman posted:

I still say my story that has a Martian "Musk memorial garbage tip" will stand the test of time. :colbert:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo new Star Trek is loving awful

Like really?! Elon Musk and the Wright Brothers?

It doesn't surprise me that talentless hack writer/ producer nepotism babies would worship the loving Emperor of talentless hack nepotism babies

On the plus side Strange New Worlds is a delight.

Splicer posted:

I haven't watched the show but isn't the guy saying that actually from the evil mirror universe

Yeah and is the only crew member with an interesting background so of course he’s killed off season one.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 8, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Snuffman posted:

Still lolling at Notchcubes.

Clearly I'm reading the right books as I have never come across this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I still cannot believe Twitter’s backend is all running pure metal.

The amount of weird sysadmin poo poo it probably takes to keep every service alive is probably enormous. And it’s not like you can just fire up a new instance or roll it back. Especially when it inevitably runs out of space or creds expire.

Lol. Lmao.

It's not, it's likely VMs and Kubernetes on their own metal

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

I think I read that Issacs ad-libbed that in hopes Musk would give him a Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One of the funniest parts of all of this is that a huge percentage of Twitter’s user base is left-leaning or at least put off by hardcore chuddery