Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The weird devices you find are the best thing about Numenera and most are system-neutral or easily adapted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

kuf posted:

Thinking about getting the Numenera Cypher core books, but I'm wondering if I should just get the 5e conversions.

I like the idea of a different system, but I play with a 5e group that already has some amount of trouble reading the rules/their character sheets; some in the group say they want a new system for something different, but I know I'll have to do some handholding, too much of which would be exasperating. I'll also be running semi-public games in the near future and saying "we're playing D&D" will certainly draw more people.

Wondering if anybody has any opinions here that they could share. I know Cypher has varied reviews as a system, but so do the Numenera 5e conversions.

Numenera's system was very cool in that it lets everyone do "wizard" poo poo with a good enough roll at table spending their appropriate attribute currency. The horribleness of the design comes to the forefront when all of the currencies are spent and then you can't do anything but D&D at its absolute most boringly worst. They tell you to focus on more exploration and not all combat has to be turn by turn slug fest, but sometimes your group just likes beating the crap out of stuff with their super cool unique characters the settings allows, and if they can't defeat it in the first turn, then it's back to slugging it out.

I wonder how well a 5e conversion would work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It would be cool if I had more money and more time to play more games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
nm

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It would be cool if my group didn’t flake on me after i confirmed if they were coming. I’d get a new group, but that’s who these guts are replacing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There's gonna be another itch.io charity bundle. This one for trans rights in Florida. I found out about it by clicking a link on the Solovember twitter thread, so like most of these things I suspect there will be a decent number of solo rpgs in there.

https://itch.io/jam/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-in-florida

I'm crossposting this person's post for visibility

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My wife got me the coolest and most ridiculous of all anniversary presents.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is it a dice tower? It rules, whatever it is

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

Is it a dice tower? It rules, whatever it is
It is!

And the bowl lights up!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gently caress yeah, happy anniversary

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It even looks like you can take one of the gems out of the eye socket, just like on the cover of the 1E PHB

Bird_App_Refugee
Nov 4, 2022

Formerly: Thunderfist and/or
Have it your Weigh
Did anyone else back Mothership RPG? I can’t wait for 1e to be out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
I didn't, but that sounds like something to look forward to. I never playtested it so I never encountered some of the mechanical jank I've heard about, but they sound like easy fixes and the writing and art are consistently good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I originally backed it, but backed out before the campaign closed once the 1e previews started showing up. For once I'm the "edition changes bad" grog.

And it's been long enough since the Kickstarter without even looking at the system that I don't remember what my complaints even were now, besides the sanity system not going in a direction I hoped for.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mothership isn't out? I've had 4 sessions of it thus far, didn't realize it was still in testing.

Seems like a complete game, though I'd like some errata or clarification on weapon damage/handling.

Laser cutter, SMGs and Smart Rifles seem oddly balanced

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bird_App_Refugee posted:

Did anyone else back Mothership RPG? I can’t wait for 1e to be out.

I backed it at the $99 tier, and updates on that KS have been really few and far between. I think the last one was in September, and it was only the fourth one overall or something like that?

It's my only RPG kickstarter (for now) that isn't currently in the process of being shipped. Ironsworn: Starforged is gonna be here on Monday, and Old School Essentials should be within the next couple weeks. :toot:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There have been a ton of cool adventures for Mothership that have funded, been produced, and delivered while we're waiting for the 1e boxed set. It's kind of funny, but there's a great little content creator community around it already.

Bird_App_Refugee
Nov 4, 2022

Formerly: Thunderfist and/or
Have it your Weigh

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't, but that sounds like something to look forward to. I never playtested it so I never encountered some of the mechanical jank I've heard about, but they sound like easy fixes and the writing and art are consistently good.

The art and design alone were enough for me to pick it up. I liked the playtest version but I can see a few things that could be streamlined. I love the influences it draws from and it’s simple to learn.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I wanted to like the base game but after running a couple sessions I lost interest in trying to work around the parts of it that sucked.

The Kickstarter looked encouraging at first, but from the preview materials it looked like they didn't fix my two big problems with the base game (slow and dull combat, clunky sanity system) and I stopped following it.

There are a lot of cool modules for Mothership and if I had to run them I'd probably use Alien. A lot of the rules concepts like the escalating stress system are straightforward improvements on things Mothership tried to do.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mellonbread posted:

There are a lot of cool modules for Mothership and if I had to run them I'd probably use Alien. A lot of the rules concepts like the escalating stress system are straightforward improvements on things Mothership tried to do.

Seconding this, the Alien RPG is super fun especially for single scenarios. Converting a Mothership module wouldn't be much work for someone familiar with the existing Alien modules and how enemies work. The stress system is so good, especially the way it works for mixed groups of marines and civilians

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any, like, LCG/Deckbuilder hybrids out there where you build a deck and then add to it over the game? Or alternate question: Is there an Arkham Horror the card game but not Lovecraft?

Failing that, any good straight LCGs out there worth recommending that I can get into cheap? Bonus if they offer both competitive and co-op play.

e: I should add a huge turn off will be if you e.g. can have X copies of a card in your deck but the game only comes with X-n copies of the card.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 5, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

Failing that, any good straight LCGs out there worth recommending that I can get into cheap? Bonus if they offer both competitive and co-op play.

e: I should add a huge turn off will be if you e.g. can have X copies of a card in your deck but the game only comes with X-n copies of the card.

It only offers competitive play but the continuation of Netrunner by nonprofit player collective Null Signal Games is available to print and play for free. The print-on-demand options cost more but are reasonable, about the same as a Arkham Revised Core costs on Amazon.

I was curious, and it's not even that many fewer cards (216 for NSG, ~229 for FFG). I guess that it helps it's not coming with a box and all that other stuff like a box, tokens, etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magnetic North posted:

It only offers competitive play but the continuation of Netrunner by nonprofit player collective Null Signal Games is available to print and play for free. The print-on-demand options cost more but are reasonable, about the same as a Arkham Revised Core costs on Amazon.

I was curious, and it's not even that many fewer cards (216 for NSG, ~229 for FFG). I guess that it helps it's not coming with a box and all that other stuff like a box, tokens, etc.
Hmm, there's an authorised UK reseller for even less. We may have a winner.

It would be neat if there were a co-op vs an AI corp option.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I went to a small "fan expo" nerd convention with my family today and saw someone selling SolForge Fusion, which I forgot was coming out after so many delays, so I grabbed it. Got home and opened it up, though I won't get to play it for possibly a few days.

First impressions:

• Card quality is crap. Keyforge cards are more durable than even Magic cards. These need sleeves, especially considering you're supposed to shuffle them together with other decks. Family board game at Target quality cardboard.
  • The font sucks. Who decided to put a generic sans-serif font onto these frames, and not even make the whitespace consistent?
  • There's no included rulebook. You get a QR code for the rules website and a card that explains keywords. Magic's basic starter set comes with a rulebook; their intro decks don't, but chances are you have someone wanting to teach you Magic, whereas SolForge is a new game.
  • Playmats are probably necessary to indicate which row and column a card is in. Not a big deal since that's the core of the game.
  • The little square cards for +/- damage/health are a neat idea.

People seem to enjoy the gameplay, so I hope that makes up for all the complaints above.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LifeLynx posted:

[*] The font sucks. Who decided to put a generic sans-serif font onto these frames, and not even make the whitespace consistent?

Huh, is this what the final cards look like?

Because, yeah, that feels like it should be a placeholder font while you work out something that looks a bit old-timey while still being easy to read.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Because, yeah, that feels like it should be a placeholder font while you work out something that looks a bit old-timey while still being easy to read.

O my god it makes a ligature out of f and i into some unholy hell character.

What the gently caress is that font, it's almost fractally bad.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

It really looks like when people make their own game cards using sharp vectorized text over a JPG template they made or saved off the web.

All cards have no cost, but you have to take a certain amount of actions each turn. Some cards are free, so you can play them as bonus actions. They don't have a symbol for this, they just say "This is Free" in the text.

Your little token for keeping track of your leader's level is a tiny little cardboard circle, like someone sat there with a hole puncher and gave you garbage.

The flavor text is so bad in this game it has to have been written by an AI they fed some fantasy words into. Here's real flavor text. There's no context, they're all on plain zombies or robots.

"The desireless dead could work farms and mine ore — they could rebuild the whole world."

"Now, attach the same crystal."

"Each to impress the others."

"Just because they could, they did."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LifeLynx posted:

It really looks like when people make their own game cards using sharp vectorized text over a JPG template they made or saved off the web.

All cards have no cost, but you have to take a certain amount of actions each turn. Some cards are free, so you can play them as bonus actions. They don't have a symbol for this, they just say "This is Free" in the text.

Your little token for keeping track of your leader's level is a tiny little cardboard circle, like someone sat there with a hole puncher and gave you garbage.

The flavor text is so bad in this game it has to have been written by an AI they fed some fantasy words into. Here's real flavor text. There's no context, they're all on plain zombies or robots.

"The desireless dead could work farms and mine ore — they could rebuild the whole world."

Reminded of how terrible the flavor text was for the Kaijudo version of Duel Masters

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, the cards are readable, the abilities are templated, and keywords are bolded, with proper line breaks. This is already better than 90% of what I see come out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That said, original Solforge was a scam that never delivered and the big name attached bailed early leaving the dev begging for people to spend money on their garbage monetization. I'd never touch another thing with the name or devs attached.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s a pretty common ligature form among even slightly-ornate fonts, I think.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

Hmm, there's an authorised UK reseller for even less. We may have a winner.

It would be neat if there were a co-op vs an AI corp option.

Well, if the issue is you don't have anyone else to play with, the game is playable online for free on https://www.jinteki.net/ but I don't know if it's the best way to learn. You can use the Green Level Clearance discord to find games, though you'll want to probably stick with Mentors and new players to try and ease yourself into the competitive aspects. As far as products go, you can start with the "System Gateway" set which is mean to be a very simple on-ramp to the game.

There is also a thread.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

That’s a pretty common ligature form among even slightly-ornate fonts, I think.

It is, indeed, and ligatures are nice: https://creativepro.com/typetalk-the-ins-and-outs-of-f-ligatures/

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, the main vibe I'm getting from this layout is all the mediocre Flash-based card games I used to play on Kongregate.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, the main vibe I'm getting from this layout is all the mediocre Flash-based card games I used to play on Kongregate.

SolForge basically was one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hello! I am a trained graphic designer from an actual accredited university, with columns and journals and all those nice things, and spent years as a freelancer. The ligature "fi" is not only real, but it is so commonplace that Wikipedia uses it as its example for ligatures in handwriting and typefaces. The typeface you can't identify is Arial, which is basically everywhere because Microsoft didn't want to pay for the licenses to use Helvetica. It's certainly not the most attractive typeface out there, but this is about like complaining the pimply teen at McDonalds offered to serve you Diet Coke when you clearly ordered champagne. Moreover, while the term "font" is colloquially understood to mean "the shapes letters have when they're rendered in a particular style," it is technically incorrect - a font is a computer file containing bitmaps or, thankfully more commonly these days, vectorized instructions on how to render letter forms in the style of a given typeface. Any human on the street would know entirely what you meant if you used the word "font" as you did, but I can assure you anyone with any knowledge about typography would very strongly fight the urge to correct you for your unknowing gaffe.

Frankly I deserve a probe of my own for this awful loving post, but I hope you'll keep its tenor in mind next time you decide to be aggressively pedantic at someone.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
^^^ Makes my weary GD insides happy.

I need some help from the TG hivemind.
A friend of a friend would like to play RPGs with their boardgame group, but apparently DnD 5E was too much for them.
Can anyone suggest a good Rules Light Fantasy RPG that does a good job of introducing new players AND new GMs to playing and running the game?

My initial thought was OSE, but I don't have a copy myself and am not sure if it does a good hand-holding job for new GMs.

Alternatively, a good rules lite game AND another book that helps new GMs, I was thinking Sly Flourish book but not sure if that's really aimed at a brand new GM.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LifeLynx posted:

I assume flavor text is actually really hard to write, but yeah that is not inspiring. Poor guys.

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, the cards are readable, the abilities are templated, and keywords are bolded, with proper line breaks. This is already better than 90% of what I see come out.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's readable and that's a good thing. It's just very... standard and I guess "modern-looking." grassy gnoll pointing out it's Arial makes a lot of sense. Magic being the baseline for card games, setting the standard, and having a budget and years to refine its style definitely does spoil me on card aesthetics.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

hyphz posted:

SolForge basically was one.

Huh, so it's based on a F2P Steam game? That puts a lot of the creative decisions in a better context then.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If nerds didn't have some leeway to passive aggressively post some pedantry, we wouldn't have forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Bucnasti posted:

^^^ Makes my weary GD insides happy.

I need some help from the TG hivemind.
A friend of a friend would like to play RPGs with their boardgame group, but apparently DnD 5E was too much for them.
Can anyone suggest a good Rules Light Fantasy RPG that does a good job of introducing new players AND new GMs to playing and running the game?

My initial thought was OSE, but I don't have a copy myself and am not sure if it does a good hand-holding job for new GMs.

Alternatively, a good rules lite game AND another book that helps new GMs, I was thinking Sly Flourish book but not sure if that's really aimed at a brand new GM.

fellowship, quest, wanderhome, ryuutama

e: wanderhome will teach you to run wanderhome; it may not teach you to run other games