Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I need some help from the TG hivemind.
A friend of a friend would like to play RPGs with their boardgame group, but apparently DnD 5E was too much for them.
Did they get the three big rulebooks and bounce right off? 5e's first Starter Set (the one with The Lost Mine of Phandelver) is honestly okay and I found the adventure does a fine job of holding the DM's hand.

It's not half the game Fellowship, Quest, Wanderhome or Ryuutama are, but it's $20 for a box set (and $0 for the online Basic Rules) you can play for a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leraika posted:

fellowship, quest, wanderhome, ryuutama

e: wanderhome will teach you to run wanderhome; it may not teach you to run other games

The good news is that Wanderhome is extremely good anyway and TBH I find that my other GMing improved massively from having GM'd Wanderhome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bucnasti posted:

Alternatively, a good rules lite game AND another book that helps new GMs, I was thinking Sly Flourish book but not sure if that's really aimed at a brand new GM.

People recommending PbtA is passe, but PbtA games are rules light and tend to have some of the best GM advice around. For fantasy RPGs, Dungeon World will do the job and goons will hook you up with playbooks. Fellowship is objectively better at it and is built to tell stories like the Fellowship of the Ring or the Gaang from Last Airbender; a party with an objective.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Leraika posted:

fellowship, quest, wanderhome, ryuutama

e: wanderhome will teach you to run wanderhome; it may not teach you to run other games

I'll second Ryuutama, with the caveat it might also get players into some weird system-specific habits. I like the game quite a bit, and it's a genuine work of art to have on your bookshelf, but I've never been able to fully fit my brain around the GMPC-and-story-mode conceit.

Depending on how the players are at navigating documents, Mouse Guard will teach you exactly how you should be playing it, with very good in-play examples, but unfortunately it's an awful reference manual and it is highly Luke Craneish. All that said, the systems are real easy to pick up, and the lifepath system is a huge help onboarding players.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, Mouse Guard is probably an easier game to get into for people with trad RPG experience, and is a great game.

Fellowship is even better though, and is my top recommendation here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bucnasti posted:

^^^ Makes my weary GD insides happy.

I need some help from the TG hivemind.
A friend of a friend would like to play RPGs with their boardgame group, but apparently DnD 5E was too much for them.
Can anyone suggest a good Rules Light Fantasy RPG that does a good job of introducing new players AND new GMs to playing and running the game?

My initial thought was OSE, but I don't have a copy myself and am not sure if it does a good hand-holding job for new GMs.

Alternatively, a good rules lite game AND another book that helps new GMs, I was thinking Sly Flourish book but not sure if that's really aimed at a brand new GM.

Aside from what's already been suggested, if you want something OSR-y maybe Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures would be a good starting point? It lifts a lot from PbtA stuff, too. If they want to warm up to roleplaying and GMing and try out some light non-fantasy games as one shots, Dread or Fiasco might be fun bridges from board gaming?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Aside from what's already been suggested, if you want something OSR-y maybe Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures would be a good starting point? It lifts a lot from PbtA stuff, too. If they want to warm up to roleplaying and GMing and try out some light non-fantasy games as one shots, Dread or Fiasco might be fun bridges from board gaming?

Yeah. If you want to go simpler than D&D while staying in the same genre, I have to recommend either going PBTA or OSR with it. Those are just the two RPG frameworks that are easiest to get into and play the way people think D&D plays. All of my PBTA suggestions have already been recommended and I don't know OSR well enough to recommend anything specifically, but those are the obvious directions to go.

(Fellowship is a really good game, by the way. Just to drive that point home while I'm here.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I always like to recommend Quest as a good intro to TTRPGs with decent advice for new players and new GMs and an easy to use system: https://www.adventure.game/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you really want an OSR game, I'd probably go with Basic Fantasy RPG. OSE is a good presentation of a system but it's actually missing a fair amount of advice about how to play the game for people totally new to D&D.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PeterWeller posted:

I always like to recommend Quest as a good intro to TTRPGs with decent advice for new players and new GMs and an easy to use system: https://www.adventure.game/

I generally advise against Quest because I think it's actually a pretty terrible game. Unless you're launching an Actual Play, then it's probably brilliant.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Arivia posted:

If you really want an OSR game, I'd probably go with Basic Fantasy RPG. OSE is a good presentation of a system but it's actually missing a fair amount of advice about how to play the game for people totally new to D&D.

It's also released completely at cost, which means you can get the core book and a campaign like Morgansfort or Blackapple Brugh for $10 total.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nuns with Guns posted:

Beyond the Wall is exceptional

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CitizenKeen posted:

I generally advise against Quest because I think it's actually a pretty terrible game. Unless you're launching an Actual Play, then it's probably brilliant.

Why do you think it's terrible?

I've used it for a bunch of one-shots with students, and it's been great for getting right into playing without a lot of preamble, but I haven't used it for anything more in-depth or longer than that.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I’ll second Beyond the Wall. It does this cool thing with playbooks as adventures which makes life really easy on GMs. The system is a bit clunky; it’s more traditional OSR than a lot of the more recent OSR systems. For example, you’re still trying to roll high or low on a d20, depending. But it’s still a good choice for this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://arbysshop.com/collections/arbys-dice/products/d-d-dice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Out of stock :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
By popular demand?

e: I guess they sold out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
They did that dumb promotion over a year ago:

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/1430545502978797577?lang=en

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Arivia posted:

I think this is what they're looking for. I've never read basic fantasy, but I'll have them check it out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They're sold out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wow those look like poo poo

They could have done way better than that. That just looks like someone spilled a glob of ink into the mold.

I like dumb gimmicky dice but these just don't look good

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Do they at least smell like roast beef?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
wake me when these are back in stock

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Worst person you know etc

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Does anyone know if the Tradgames Secret Santa is going to run again this year?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kru posted:

all these board games names sound made up just fyi

kru posted:

just playing a casual round of 'Carrot Time 2050' with my chums, and then maybe some 'Dragon Cube: DELIVERANCE'

Tenebrais posted:

Deliverance was a weak expansion and you're better off just playing base Dragon Cube, honestly

Cool Dad posted:

I'd play so loving much dragon cube
PYF dragon cubes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LaSquida posted:

Does anyone know if the Tradgames Secret Santa is going to run again this year?

It is! In fact I have fired it off, now!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017532

I am a week or two late so I've pushed out the assignments date by a week, which compresses everything a bit but I wanted to give a reasonable amount of time for people to sign up.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What's the current state of the art for games with a strong base building component? I remember having a good time with the Adventurer Conquerer King System but that was like 10 years ago. Anything more advanced that's come out since then?

Ideally the base building is just a component alongside other RPG and adventuring stuff. I know Apocalypse World has the Hardholder and its associated mechanics, so I'm betting there's at least a PbtA take.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

What's the current state of the art for games with a strong base building component? I remember having a good time with the Adventurer Conquerer King System but that was like 10 years ago. Anything more advanced that's come out since then?

Ideally the base building is just a component alongside other RPG and adventuring stuff. I know Apocalypse World has the Hardholder and its associated mechanics, so I'm betting there's at least a PbtA take.

About a year ago I asked the tg chat thread for their recommendations for base building, domain management or organization building rpgs or supplements. I've posted the compiled suggestions on my blog here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

Recently there was a reddit thread on this topic about thirteen days ago so I've updated and expanded the list.

For PbtA games there are Apocalypse World (as you mentioned), Stonetop and No Country for Old Kobolds.

I would also recommend looking into the rules for Mutant: Year Zero, Wicked Ones (Forged in the Dark), and Mountain Home (Forged in the Dark) depending on what type of base building game you are looking for.

Edit: If you want a free copy of the lion's share of Wicked Ones' rules here is a link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354307/Wicked-Ones-Free-Edition

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 15, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
A lot depends on how much detail you want in how the base is built. Legacy is a PbtA that's about rebuilding civilisation, but favors politics and exploration over actual building.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Evidently Kevin Crawford is working on a cyberpunk game possibly called Cities Without Number, maybe Nets Without Number.

He posted a draft of the character creation system here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SWN/comments/yvkafe/cities_without_number_draft_character_creation/

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

He's really riding that framework pretty hard. I wish we could see what he could really do if he wasn't shackled to the d20.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alleys without number :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Colonel Cool posted:

He's really riding that framework pretty hard. I wish we could see what he could really do if he wasn't shackled to the d20.

My gaming group loves his stuff partially because of the ruleset. d20 based rules are popular not just because of familiarity.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My gaming group loves his stuff partially because of the ruleset. d20 based rules are popular not just because of familiarity.

I think my biggest problem with the framework is that the extreme power scaling common to it only really fits niche fantasy stories and not really anything else. You just don't really see a lot of fictional works where you go from dying after getting shanked once in the kidneys to effortlessly obliterating squads of trained soldiers. The D&D power scaling really is its own genre, which kind of works for some of his games, and doesn't work very well at all for some of his others. In my opinion.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Colonel Cool posted:

I think my biggest problem with the framework is that the extreme power scaling common to it only really fits niche fantasy stories and not really anything else. You just don't really see a lot of fictional works where you go from dying after getting shanked once in the kidneys to effortlessly obliterating squads of trained soldiers. The D&D power scaling really is its own genre, which kind of works for some of his games, and doesn't work very well at all for some of his others. In my opinion.

It's likely subjective on my end, but the X Without Number games are pretty low-power in terms of scaling, particularly for non-warriors. You don't get all that many hit points and the action economy of a bunch of enemies still means a lot. Especially so if you're playing Stars Without Number and several are equipped with heavy weapons. In comparison to 5e or even Pathfinder high-level PCs can at least afford to go "okay I can take a few blows from those hill giants."

Don't get me wrong, Warriors with the right foci can still layeth the smackdown and even obliterate said squads of trained soldiers. But they're still glass cannons comparatively speaking to most other non-OSR D&D systems unless you specifically build your PC to absorb punishment and that's by the higher levels.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 15, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libertad! posted:

It's likely subjective on my end, but the X Without Number games are pretty low-power in terms of scaling, particularly for non-warriors. You don't get all that many hit points and the action economy of a bunch of enemies still means a lot. Especially so if you're playing Stars Without Number and several are equipped with heavy weapons. In comparison to 5e or even Pathfinder high-level PCs can at least afford to go "okay I can take a few blows from those hill giants."

Don't get me wrong, Warriors with the right foci can still layeth the smackdown and even obliterate said squads of trained soldiers. But they're still glass cannons comparatively speaking to most other non-OSR D&D systems unless you specifically build your PC to absorb punishment and that's by the higher levels.
d20 options always seem to be your start off shitfarmer and graduate to dirtfarmer or you start off shitfarmer and graduate to god being. I want a nice crunchy game where your start off competent professional and graduate to more competent professional with better guns and a few tricks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Colonel Cool posted:

It saves him money on playtesting and 'feels'-testing and means his work gets to be more or less interoperable with his other work. Calling it OSR (regardless of how close to other OSR stuff it is) means he gets an inbuilt sales-base too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Splicer posted:

d20 options always seem to be your start off shitfarmer and graduate to dirtfarmer or you start off shitfarmer and graduate to god being. I want a nice crunchy game where your start off competent professional and graduate to more competent professional with better guns and a few tricks.

Fragged isn't without its own flaws but it does this pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

bewilderment posted:

It saves him money on playtesting and 'feels'-testing and means his work gets to be more or less interoperable with his other work. Calling it OSR (regardless of how close to other OSR stuff it is) means he gets an inbuilt sales-base too.

Crawford's been pretty vocal about the business math of his trade, and how it informs what he does. Would "make new system" generate any new sales, and/or enough new sales to merit the work it would take to write and develop said system?

Almost certainly not.

Anecdata: I have zero interest in d20-based systems or in Crawford's systems, but I buy pretty much everything he puts out.