Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr Phillby posted:

Unfortunately the game doesn't have multiple saves, the deck doesn't seperate game files by profile and even deleting your current save file requires deleting multiple specific flies and folders and disabling cloud saves.

I think this might be a steam game developer issue, and not a deck one (though I could be wrong about this); my wife and I were sharing one gaming laptop before I got my deck, and while No Man's Sky would keep our saves separate, Subnautica wouldn't. It was very weird. I once popped into her save after having never played Subnautica on Steam, and ended up immediately getting 5-6 achievements.

No Man's Sky DID make different steam users on the same machine share audio options. She'd turn down the in-game music to listen to something else, I'd have to turn it back up if she had played since I had last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some dude posted a thing on reddit about going into the BIOS and changing the VRAM UMA from 1GB to 4GB and enabling TRIM (which is off by default apparently?) which gives roughly a 10% boost to most games and I'm wondering if that's a good idea. Traditionally I try to avoid doing things that aren't easily accessible for devices that I'm extremely likely to reset fairly frequently, but...

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The UMA increase feels like it helps with emulation in particular for me, but it also causes a weird error in Red Dead Redemption 2 when there is water or rain/snow on screen and the FPS tanks and locks at 28fps. Ultimately, I set it back to 1gb. It doesn't increase the amount of video RAM that Steam can use, I believe it just increases the minimum RAM that is ever held by the video part.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good thing I don't play that game then.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Based on the reddit thread that ultimately led me to the fix it's not the only game it can happen to. It certainly helped Cyberpunk 2077 though, and it's easy enough to turn off and on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In watching a few videos setting it to 4gb is an overall net win for me and the games I play.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think this might be a steam game developer issue, and not a deck one (though I could be wrong about this); my wife and I were sharing one gaming laptop before I got my deck, and while No Man's Sky would keep our saves separate, Subnautica wouldn't. It was very weird.
Yeah, this is a thing.

There's two ways for games to cloud save data: Steam Cloud API and Steam Auto-Cloud. The Cloud API is a functional interface that games can use to write save data "directly" to Steam, while Auto-Cloud is a method for games to specify what files stored on local disk should be cloud synced. The Cloud API is "better" in that it's an abstracted interface and so automatically keeps separate saves for each Steam profile, but games have to integrate it directly into their save/load routines and since it's Steam-specific most games don't bother with it. Games can still store separate saves for each Steam profile using Auto-Cloud, but they have to go out of their way to do it, and so again most won't do it.

Part of the problem here is that most Windows games will store their save data in a (Windows) user profile directory (think "My Documents" although usually not that directory). On the Deck though there's only one user profile ("deck") for each Proton game, even when there's multiple Steam profiles setup. To be honest I'm not really sure how this works for games in Windows--in the old days you'd install games as Administrator and then you could run them as separate "regular" users, but I assume most people just install Steam as a regular user so there'd only be one profile to save in anyways--unless you just install Steam (and Steam games) multiple times for each Windows user. Either way, you could argue that the games themselves are doing the correct thing if you forget for a moment that Steam profiles are totally orthogonal to Windows user profiles. Windows is older than Steam though so I'll blame Steam for this.

Separate saves per profile, enforced at the OS level, is something that Nintendo does much better on the Switch--at least until they went screwed it all up by only allowing one AC island per Switch (and requiring a separate app to transfer island data, etc, etc.).

No Man's Sky DID make different steam users on the same machine share audio options. She'd turn down the in-game music to listen to something else, I'd have to turn it back up if she had played since I had last.
Yeah, I can see this too. Graphic preferences are supposed to be stored per machine and not cloud saved, and arguably they're machine-specific, not user-specific. Volume levels is pushing the boundaries on that since it's very much a user preference thing.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 8, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Part of the problem here is that most Windows games will store their save data in a (Windows) user profile directory (think "My Documents" although usually not that directory). On the Deck though there's only one user profile ("deck") for each Proton game, even when there's multiple Steam profiles setup. To be honest I'm not really sure how this works for games in Windows--in the old days you'd install games as Administrator and then you could run them as separate "regular" users, but I assume most people just install Steam as a regular user so there'd only be one profile to save in anyways--unless you just install Steam (and Steam games) multiple times for each Windows user. Either way, you could argue that the games themselves are doing the correct thing if you forget for a moment that Steam profiles are totally orthogonal to Windows user profiles. Windows is older than Steam though so I'll blame Steam for this.

It works fine if you use your computer "correctly" i.e. you don't share your Windows account or your Steam account with another person -- every user has their own unique directories that correctly get synced by Steam. If you're using Windows "wrong", then Steam Auto-Cloud used to get weird and you'd often times end up with save files from multiple (Steam) users getting intermixed and synced across Steam Cloud.

I think Steam may have fixed this nowadays -- it drops a steam_autocloud.vdf file into every configured autocloud directory which contains the current Steam user ID (this caused a bunch of poorly coded games to poo poo themselves because they'd open and attempt to parse every single file in their directories and choke on the VDF file) and I think the Steam client may actually delete existing files before switching to a different Steam account, but I don't care enough to test the behavior.

Valve's position with the Steam Deck seems to be that every game should be using Steam Cloud (so it gets synced to your desktop PC) and just quietly hoping that pressure from Steam users motivates game devs to fix their crap.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 8, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 8, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

It works fine if you use your computer "correctly" i.e. you don't share your Windows account or your Steam account with another person -- every user has their own unique directories that correctly get synced by Steam.
So does each user install the Steam client separately (or installed once as Administrator?) but install games to a common directory, and so when you install a game as a different user the client sees a bunch of the game data is already there? I haven't used Steam on a desktop before.

Valve's position with the Steam Deck seems to be that every game should be using Steam Cloud (so it gets synced to your desktop PC) and just quietly hoping that pressure from Steam users motivates game devs to fix their crap.
Yeah I have exactly one game installed (Control) that uses the Cloud API and store saves in Steam userdata.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So does each user install the Steam client separately (or installed once as Administrator?) but install games to a common directory, and so when you install a game as a different user the client sees a bunch of the game data is already there? I haven't used Steam on a desktop before.

You can just log out of Steam and then log in as a different Steam user without logging out of Windows, the same way you can log out of a web site and then log in as a different user without logging out of Windows.

Windows games (that don't use Steam Cloud) put their save files somewhere in your Windows account's profile directory, that location won't change unless you log out of Windows and log in as somebody else.

Steam Auto-Cloud is basically a configuration file that tells the Steam client "this game stores its save files in these locations", and the Steam client will sync those named files before and after you run the game. It's an easy way for inept game developers to add Steam Cloud support to their games without modifying the game at all. If you log out of Steam, those save files don't (didn't used to?) get deleted, so if you logged in as a different Steam user and played that game, it'd see some or all of the save files from the previous Steam user (since the game is storing its save files per-Windows account, not per-Steam account).

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 8, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah I get that, what am I asking is what's the "correct" way for multiple Windows users to both use Steam (separate profiles)?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You want separate user profiles on both the Windows and Steam ends, and nobody ever uses their Steam account when they're not logged into their own Windows account.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

haldolium posted:

just buy them the game it costs nothing.

I had that situation previously with my girlfriend who I bought it for and she only ever played 70% unlocked ea before on my deck. didn't take 5 minutes before she was hooked despite everything beeing very slow.
I would if they had anything to play it on. Already gifted the game to a different friend lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trying out Xenoblade 3 in Switch emulation and it's running but my deck is chugging and fanning and giving off heat like I haven't seen before. I'll try that RAM trick I guess. I thought this game also had a PC release but I guess not. Anyone have any other tips for this particular use case?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also it's not recognizing my BT controller which is weird since it's the only emulated title I've seen which doesn't

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah I get that, what am I asking is what's the "correct" way for multiple Windows users to both use Steam (separate profiles)?

Oh, sorry. You shouldn't be sharing your Windows account with anybody else, every single Windows program is designed under the assumption that only one person is using it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Got my Deck today. I installed a few games, set up the dock which works pretty well, played the Aperture interactive story.

This is a cool device.

One game I tried seemed to not work at all, The Cherry Orchard. It's a visual novel based on the Checkhov play. When I installed it downloaded 0 bytes and said it was installed. I expected some games not to work at all, but just not downloading anything at all and saying it downloaded and installed was a strange glitch.

Final Fantasy 6 I feel like I'm definitely seeing some shimmering and pixel warping on my TV. Maybe I haven't put it in the right mode?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Got my Deck today. I installed a few games, set up the dock which works pretty well, played the Aperture interactive story.

This is a cool device.

One game I tried seemed to not work at all, The Cherry Orchard. It's a visual novel based on the Checkhov play. When I installed it downloaded 0 bytes and said it was installed. I expected some games not to work at all, but just not downloading anything at all and saying it downloaded and installed was a strange glitch.

Final Fantasy 6 I feel like I'm definitely seeing some shimmering and pixel warping on my TV. Maybe I haven't put it in the right mode?
Maybe try reinstalling or verifying, that just sounds like Steam loving up the way Steam tends to gently caress up sometimes. Looking at it on SteamDB though that's a game with a native Linux version so it shouldn't even be using any of the weird compatibility stuff.

For FF6 what version are you playing, the pixel remaster? You probably want to go into the properties and set the container resolution for it to the resolution of your TV. Or if its a 4K TV you can probably get away with integer scaling, probably also the way to go if you're using an emulator. For a pixel game like that linear scaling is going to look smeary and nearest will make the pixels swimmy if the output resolution isn't a multiple of what the game is running at.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah pixel remaster.

I'm using a 4k tv but I honestly just grabbed an HDMI cable out of a drawer, it may only support 1080p on the cable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Be sure to fix the awful font.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I honestly don't see the problem with it.

But how do you do that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah pixel remaster.

I'm using a 4k tv but I honestly just grabbed an HDMI cable out of a drawer, it may only support 1080p on the cable.
That could do it if you're scaling from 720p to 1080p and the TV is going from 1080p to 4k. 4k is evenly divisible by 1080p and 720p so nearest should look fine, normally.

So if your cable sucks the solution might just be, set your game resolution to 1080p and let the TV upscale it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Trying out Xenoblade 3 in Switch emulation and it's running but my deck is chugging and fanning and giving off heat like I haven't seen before. I'll try that RAM trick I guess. I thought this game also had a PC release but I guess not. Anyone have any other tips for this particular use case?

I’d give some of these tweaks a try.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=od9_a1QQQns&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

You might need to wait for the emulator to bake a bit more though.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

The "RAM trick" is just to get around games refusing to launch because they don't think there's enough VRAM, which is kind of but not really the case in an iGPU scenario, where there is no dedicated VRAM but instead system RAM is dynamically allocated to the GPU. It's not going to fix the kind of performance issue you're describing.

Oh, sorry. You shouldn't be sharing your Windows account with anybody else, every single Windows program is designed under the assumption that only one person is using it.

This is absolutely the proper practice, especially now that you're almost forced to sign in with an MS account (instead of just a local one) that has access to other stuff as long as you're logged into it. Press Win+L and let someone else sign into their own account if they want to use your hardware.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I honestly don't see the problem with it.

But how do you do that
Assuming you installed on internal storage like I did, in /home/deck/.steam/Steam/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI_DATA/StreamingAssets you'll find a bunch of .bundle and .manifest files, you just replace the font_en.bundle and font_jp.bundle with your font mod of choice, there's fonts on both the Nexus and there's a whole modding discord with tons of em.

E: I recommend backing up the original font files just in case, just stick em in a zip file in the game directory. Maybe your font mod of choice as well, game updates tend to undo the font mods.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 8, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Suburban Dad posted:

Been playing Chronicon on the deck. Battery lasts forever and it's a great 2d Diablo 3 like game. Had to run under proton experimental because otherwise one of the very few buttons (select) doesn't map on the deck. Just happens to be the inventory button which is really inconvenient in this type of game, lol. Feels better doing this than trying to emulate a mouse and having more commands available to me at least because the controller support seems decent otherwise.

Thanks for this recommendation (and the Proton tip!), grabbed it a couple of nights ago and enjoying it quite a lot.
Like many goons I've played thousands of hours of a combination of the Diablos and Path of Exile in my life and Chronicon (Steam link) helps fill those same cravings.
What I really like is the tempo and how relatively passively it can be played (hello Vampire Survivors fans!)
I'm playing a Berserker and after about 3 hours on Normal I'm in the middle of act 2, running around fast while using multiple movement skills that also deal AoE damage and also got multiple orbs spiraling around me shooting enemies.
Only stopping to kill the bigger baddies or to open chests or whatever.
I've used 0 potions and died exactly once (to the end-of-act boss doing a very telegraphed attack)

There's also a load of loot of course - I turned off the first few rarity levels in the loot filter after an hour. Crafting system and gems and whatever too, haven't really engaged with those yet.

I imagine you can turn up the difficulty and get a slower, more tactical pace, but I'm enjoying the mindlessness of it and the contrast to how slow you are in PoE or Diablo after a few hours - hell, my ~3-hours build isn't far off from a Path of Exile end-game mapping build.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This might be outside of the scope of this thread or anyone's knowledge but can anyone help me get this mod https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/126517-doom-64-absolution-tc-remastered-now-available-for-port-remastered/ working on my Steam Deck? I have Doom64 through Steam but I can't really figure out how to get this mod to launch. I've tried addign a launch option to Doom64 in Steam pointing to the WAD. I also tried using ZDL but to no avail. Thanks!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

I would if they had anything to play it on. Already gifted the game to a different friend lol

get them a deck too :D

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This thing doesn't have any kind of CEC settings does it? I noticed when I docked it and turned it on my TV didn't automatically switch to it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I spotted that someone's made a community control scheme for the 3DS emulator that helps make it work pretty well.

Is there something similar on a game by game basis? Ie a modern control config for N64 Goldeneye.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kin posted:

Is there something similar on a game by game basis? Ie a modern control config for N64 Goldeneye.

there's a good custom emulator for Goldeneye/PD called 1964 that has modern control schemes for Deck

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is a cool device.

Hey there! I did the music for The Cherry Orchard and it was one of the first games I tried on my deck. It worked perfectly for me, so that's weird to hear that it flat out didn't download anything for you.

The dev is here if you'd need to get in contact with her but maybe you already know that and are a part of the Dogpit.

Edit: a somewhat joke tweet stating that the Cherry Orchard should be 'deck verified' even though I'm probably the only one at that time who had attempted to play it on there. One thing to note is that this scene, specifically, uses a Kevin Mcleod track.

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1577046796454723586?t=kqCRneBG3pObHnlIjZgMIw&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 8, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hey there! I did the music for The Cherry Orchard and it was one of the first games I tried on my deck. It worked perfectly for me, so that's weird to hear that it flat out didn't download anything for you.

The dev is here if you'd need to get in contact with her but maybe you already know that and are a part of the Dogpit.

Edit: a somewhat joke tweet stating that the Cherry Orchard should be 'deck verified' even though I'm probably the only one at that time who had attempted to play it on there.

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1577046796454723586?t=kqCRneBG3pObHnlIjZgMIw&s=19

your music is extremely good, thanks for making it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

your music is extremely good, thanks for making it

You have literally made my day by saying so. Thank you so much. :unsmith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit: a somewhat joke tweet stating that the Cherry Orchard should be 'deck verified' even though I'm probably the only one at that time who had attempted to play it on there.

Yeah I've been mutuals with her for a long time, so I'm excited to finally play her game.

It's weird, I tried installing it from desktop mode too, no dice. I'll try it on my laptop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

very cool!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

latest Cyberpunk 2077 patch that just dropped today adds support for FSR 2.1

This really helps the game on the deck.

It’s a shame that RDR 2 probably won’t ever get a patch for it because 2.0 really is a decent improvement overall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Switch emulation is pretty hit or miss and needs some more time to get better/optimized. Diablo 3 (Switch), however, runs really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If you're like me and moved around way too many roms to/from your Steam Deck and the MicroSD card, you should consider running TRIM and setting it up on a schedule - My Deck feels brand new again. I'm pretty shocked Valve wouldn't enable TRIM out of the box.