Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

At least with mandatory ID cards people without passports or driving licenses will be allowed to vote.

You know there's going to be a line on the card going

"No recourse to democracy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

roomtone posted:

for gently caress sake. i hadn't heard about this voting ID thing.

so basically voting now costs money unless you're old.

If you are Scottish and under 22 you also are eligible to the same travel entitlements as an over 60, so that card can be used. Same if you have a disabled person's bus pass.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they should have made the only valid voting ID a pensioner bus pass the cowards

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If you don't have sufficient ID to vote in person, you can apply to have a postal vote. That's what I was planning to do if I was going to vote, but I've just seen that the disabled person's bus pass is going to be accepted, so that's kicked me up the arse to apply for one of those and escape my town for the first time in 6 years.

This whole vote ID stuff is a solution to a voter fraud problem that doesn't exist. It means that millions of people will not be able to afford to vote :(

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1589948648787693569

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I just don't find it believable that they are going for anything other than the maximum securitized state possible.
The state itself turned into a tradable financial asset to raise cash?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have a disabled person's bus pass but if I didn't I would now have to be spending out for a passport just to be able to vote. If you're going to require ID for things like voting then you have to make getting that ID free. Unless of course your goal is suppression of specific voter groups! Then you should make it expensive and difficult! Hmmmmm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

they should have made the only valid voting ID a pensioner bus pass the cowards
Yes, only the silent generation and disabled people get to vote. 400 seat majority for the Hang PIP Assessors party.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

roomtone posted:

I've never had to give ID to vote. You're just on the register and they cross you off when you come in.

This is because the current UK voting system is organised around property, not people
If the government knows your house exists, they send you a form to your address. Fill it in, and you are on the register, and so get to vote.

If you are renting something other than a property with its own address, sometimes your landlord fills it in for you you, and sometimes they throw the letter away.

Not that there is absolutely no checking that if you have two houses in different parts of the country, you don’t vote twice. Probably not _that_ many people do that, but the real effect is to hide the number of people who aren’t eligible to vote.

I personally suspect this could be up as high as 20%, which would move.the UK thoroughly into the ranks of near-democracies.

In theory. a proper id system could improve this. Of course, that would require having the goal of doing so.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 8, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

This whole vote ID stuff is a solution to a voter fraud problem that doesn't exist. It means that millions of people will not be able to afford to vote :(
No, it's a solution to a Conservative–voting demographic problem that does exist. It means that millions of people will not be able to afford to vote against the Tories :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

Plus the only valid ID is; a full drivers license, a valid passport, or a pensioners bus pass.

Extremely cool, will not have any effect on skewing the vote towards insane boomers.

In my block of flats, half the 80+ year olds do not have driving license, passport or bus pass either (because we don't live in London ergo public transport is so rare that their kids drive them everywhere).

I posted a couple of weeks back that I had contacted our county council electoral officer and he said to get the Voter ID card you'll need Photo ID!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The state itself turned into a tradable financial asset to raise cash?

Start selling off state assets on the open market.

1 NHS, pro managed, like new A+++ health service

Starting bid - £0.99

Collection only from Great Britain

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Welcome to the forum Mrs Thatcher!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK ballot is not secret, if there is a suspicion of fraud they can literally check each ballot against the voter, we already have security against fraud.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, only the silent generation and disabled people get to vote. 400 seat majority for the Hang PIP Assessors party.

Silents would vote against that, but I suppose they are mostly dead now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In my block of flats, half the 80+ year olds do not have driving license, passport or bus pass either (because we don't live in London ergo public transport is so rare that their kids drive them everywhere).

I posted a couple of weeks back that I had contacted our county council electoral officer and he said to get the Voter ID card you'll need Photo ID!
This is because half of our government culture war is copy-pasted from insane Margarine Tangerine Greene poo poo without even thinking how the UK is not the USA, so they'll disenfranchised a ton of older rural people to stick it to the imaginary Black person in their heads.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

This is because half of our government culture war is copy-pasted from insane Margarine Tangerine Greene poo poo without even thinking how the UK is not the USA, so they'll disenfranchised a ton of older rural people to stick it to the imaginary Black person in their heads.

And at the same time they allow Commonwealth citizens to vote.

Bob from Singapore is more enfranchised that some poppy wearint pensioner in the sticks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blocking the fire exit is a nice touch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So hang on - if you do a postal vote you don't need to prove your ID then?
I guess you would have to be on the electoral list which (a) a lot of people don't want to do and (b) others move around a lot.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So hang on - if you do a postal vote you don't need to prove your ID then?

That was my understanding of the new rules. I didn't bother pursuing it, as I don't have any viable candidate to vote for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Z the IVth posted:

1 NHS, pro managed, like new A+++ health service

Starting bid - £0.99

Collection only from Great Britain
Buying the NHS for £100 million, then suing for £200 million and winning because it was B+ at best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Jacob's Ladder remake looking good.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Buying the NHS for £100 million, then suing for £200 million and winning because it was B+ at best.

Open a Item Not As Described case for a refund.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Now make some homless ptsd squddies out of poppys to place in shop doorways.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder how many people that want to vote this actually prevents then. It almost seems more likely to be older people who have always done things a certain way and don't pay attention and end up screwed on the day. And they don't seem to be the sort of people the Tories should be preventing from voting.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder how many people that want to vote this actually prevents then. It almost seems more likely to be older people who have always done things a certain way and don't pay attention and end up screwed on the day. And they don't seem to be the sort of people the Tories should be preventing from voting.

It handily dampens down any grassroots movement where new or previously disenfranchised voters could be encouraged to vote for party that isn't the Tories, given it means in order to vote you need to be prepared and have the appropriate ID - some of which could take quite a while to get.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's going to stop me, I don't have £75 for a passport. Nor I would imagine will a lot of people who are having to make the choice between heating or food this winter. Nor will people disenfranchised enough that they can't get a plod or whoever to sign their passport, or who like me can't drive so can't get a 'full' driving license.

Framing it as people who "don't pay attention" is a pretty dangerous way of wording it and is playing right into the intent of the act, which is 'unpersons don't get to vote.'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/BCommScot/status/1589880782121996289?s=20&t=S9QVa9O_DLnIkvUuEcV56w

In things that probably only interest me, this got posted. It's a revision upon previous proposals & is mildly better (previous proposal cut my council constituency in half & removed my home village from the place it's in the school catchment area for, now they've just decided to remove that whole area from the same constituency as Inverness, which means they've still cut up the school catchment area, just in a different way) but still really loving stupid.

I'm looking at the current constituencies and the north of Scotland is made up of Orkney & Shetlend, Na h-Eileanan An Iar, Caithness Sutherland & Easter Ross, Ross Skye & Lochaber, Inverness Nairn Badenoch & Strathspey, Moray, Banff & Buchan, Gordon, Aberdeen North, Aberdeen South and West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine, 11 constituencies covering 7 council areas that total 39,908km˛, or more than half the land mass of Scotland & 892,000 people.

The new boundaries? Orkney & Shetland & Na h-Eileanan An Iar are protected constituencies so remain unchanged. There's also Caithness Sutherland & Easter Ross, Inverness-shire & Wester Ross, Nairn Strathspey & Moray West, Aberdeenshire North & Moray East, Aberdeenshire Central, West Aberdeenshire & Kincadine, Aberdeen North & Aberdeen South. So we're down one constituency despite already having some of the largest constituencies in the entire UK. 7 of the largest 20 constituencies in the UK by area under the current boundaries, 4 of the 10 largest (9 of the top 10 are Scottish, Penrith & The Border is 10th, largest constituency in Wales is smaller than Na h-Eileanan an Iar). Under the new proposal an MP would have from Durness in the north west to Kiltarlity in the south east to cover. Going direct that's over 2 & a half hours drive on some poo poo rural roads, or as the crow flies it's 85 miles, further apart than Newcastle & Leeds. Or for the next door example, Inverness-shire & Wester Ross, it covers from Achiltibuie in the north to Corrour in the south (that's 150+ miles drive) & Dunvegan in the west to Tomatin in the east (140+ miles drive). I believe this would be the largest constituency in the UK. And there in one corner, Inverness, a city of about 55,000, in a constituency which the Boundary Commission says will be 73,791 people. This is loving daft. People are already hosed off at Highland Council not being fit to cover an area the size of Belgium when so much focus is on the only city & the rest of it is mostly rural with a smattering of towns in the 5-10,000 people range. How does Inverness & Fort William & everything in between having one MP possibly represent the diverse interests between urban & rural? It can't, it's stupid.

Meanwhile, the 3rd of 3 constituencies covering the Highland Council area, Nairn, Strathspey & Moray West is smaller but still stretches from Kinloch Laggan to Lossiemouth and Cabrach to Smithton, both about 80 miles apart. In the north west of the constituency you have Smithton, Culloden, Balloch, which were all villages at one point but urban sprawl has basically just made them part of Inverness at this point. Further east you've got Inverness Airport, the main airport of the Highlands which services Inverness, and you have villages which are all Inverness commuter villages, Croy, Ardersier, Cantray, & the new 1,000+ resident village at Tornagrain which has popped up over the past decade. These are all places where people work in Inverness, the local bus services are centred on taking you to Inverness, & are in the catchment area of Culloden Academy. People there shop in Inverness, what I'm saying is that separating them from Inverness is loving dumb. Historically, they are connected to Inverness. You can go back to loving 1918 & see that Ardersier, Croy, Culloden, Smithton, these were all in the same constituency as Inverness. Nairn has been apart of that too since 1983, though before that was attached to Moray. But historically, socially, politically, in any way shape or form there is absolutely nothing connecting the aforementioned villages to Elgin, Forres & the rest of Moray. It's so loving detached from anything. Never mind 1918, I'm looking at a map of the 1832 election, the first after the Scottish Reform Act 1832, which had extended the electorate from 0.2% of the population to 13% of adult males.

TL;DR I'm mad because for the first time in my life I'm going to be living in a constituency with a decent number of Tories, Moray cannot be trusted. And all because the Isle of Wight needs a 2nd MP, rather than being sunk into the sea

There is no reason you should care about this post, I'm just being mad & needed to get that off my chest

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 8, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's going to stop me, I don't have £75 for a passport. Nor I would imagine will a lot of people who are having to make the choice between heating or food this winter. Nor will people disenfranchised enough that they can't get a plod or whoever to sign their passport, or who like me can't drive so can't get a 'full' driving license.

Framing it as people who "don't pay attention" is a pretty dangerous way of wording it and is playing right into the intent of the act, which is 'unpersons don't get to vote.'.

You can get a postal vote if you pay attention.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

blocking the fire exit is a nice touch.

In the emergency the door is slammed open, exploding the wheelchairman into a shower of poppies lifted by the heat of the blaze and flying into the sky

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder how many people that want to vote this actually prevents then.

This move will disenfranchise more people in each constituency than there were cases of electoral fraud in the entire 2019 General Election. And the vast majority of them will be Labour voters.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/richfelgate/status/1589838852805783552

Police had no interest in seeing press ID and handcuffed us instantly on arrival. They said they needed to search me for items which could be used to commit criminal damage. Obviously, they found nothing, so an officer said “just arrest them for conspiracy instead then”.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

This move will disenfranchise more people in each constituency than there were cases of electoral fraud in the entire 2019 General Election. And the vast majority of them will be Labour voters.

Ok if you say so.

I think this thread reckons labours doing a pretty good job of disenfranchising it's voters without the assist anyway though.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The UK ballot is not secret, if there is a suspicion of fraud they can literally check each ballot against the voter, we already have security against fraud.

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Freudian posted:

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?

Each ballot is marked with a number, they note the number of the ballot you have been given when they give you it and tick you off the list of people registered to vote at that station, the ballots are kept sealed after the count along with the list, if there is a suspicion of irregularity they can be unsealed and hand matched to each voter, though the counters obviously won't know who voted on what ballot without the list to match it to, and the people making the list won't know how you voted because they just give you the numbered empty ballot.

Most of the time nobody will know how you voted, but the ballot is not mechanically secret and that is by design.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 8, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
God, it feels like every day for the last week the sudden rain storms here are becoming more and more intense. In fact, we've been without running water round here for the last two days because a water treatment centre got flooded (lol).

Global warming sucks, but at least it's dramatic I guess...

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
each ballot has a serial number which the teller writes next to your polling number when you go to vote - they are separated from issue to count but if they really wanted to they could go through and match the ballot serials against polling registration numbers. In the case of postal voters also going to vote in person they can tell that your returned postal ballot has the same voter registration number as your in person ballot with an issued serial number

e beaten by OF

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is considered an improvement over the previous system where you just told the guy in the polling station who you wanted to vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok if you say so.

I think this thread reckons labours doing a pretty good job of disenfranchising it's voters without the assist anyway though.

Labour aren't blocking anyone from voting. They're just giving many people no good option to vote for. Now kindly stop defending fascism.