Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Voted in [swing state] today, turnout was as busy as I've ever seen it. I live in a fairly Dem part of [swing state] so hopefully that's good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bellmaker posted:

Voted in [swing state] today, turnout was as busy as I've ever seen it. I live in a fairly Dem part of [swing state] so hopefully that's good?

yeah, like i have said earlier. most of the dems/indies i know are voting in person today.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Voted in NJ, only took a few minutes. I didn't get a sticker :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No sticker, what is that bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gonna vote after work, live suburban rural and doing voting with family since we all get off around then voting all blue apperently. i keep seeing lots of good turnout news for eday, so thats a thing.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 8, 2022

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The problem with Charlie Crist is that its not like he had a change of heart and is less ghoulish than when he was a republican. He still pretty much believes all the same moderate republican stuff. Unfortunately, in comparison to Ron Desantis he looks like Mao so you pretty much have to vote for him. This state is problematic.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm in Florida. Voted no on Amendments 2 and 3. Voted yes for some progressive local candidates. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

The problem with Charlie Crist is that its not like he had a change of heart and is less ghoulish than when he was a republican. He still pretty much believes all the same moderate republican stuff. Unfortunately, in comparison to Ron Desantis he looks like Mao so you pretty much have to vote for him. This state is problematic.

i mean its the case of a boring old school moderate former republican type vs a well liked uber chud in a red state. the chud will win. i will say i am happy that desantis looked like poo poo in the debate to crist though because he will get torn apart by trump or biden or whoever he faces. i still dont think desantis has the charisma needed to pull off a national win.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

Doing my part with useless anecdotes

Suburban Pittsburgh and there was no line whatsoever compared to a 30+ minute wait in 2020(think I voted in the evening in 2018)

I know it's a midterm and people voted by mail etc but did not make me feel great

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Basic question from a non-American - why are the Democrats considered to be the majority party in the Senate when they only have 48 out of a 100 seats? Do the two Independents always vote in lockstep with them, giving them a majority coalition when the Vice President's deciding vote is taken into account?

e: this does appear to be the case. That's a really tight margin, though

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 8, 2022

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Turnout was about twice the average (for a midterm) in WI-02, saw like 30 people in line just to register. Grab your popcorn and your books on Theory, it's a coin flip.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

I’m prepping for the worst. The GOP base seem psyched about Zeldin and I think Dems have gotten complacent about New York.

This is tinfoil hat territory but I wonder if the NY GOP has been paying people to fill up NextDoor with crime complaints. I don’t recognize the city these people are describing.

These are the people who drive their car two blocks from their house to the bakery and never take the train or go downtown or to Manhattan. Crime is nonexistent here, never seen anything in 15 years of living in this neighborhood except loud arguments between people and family members. Covid by far killed more of them here than any crime. I want to ask them "had enough of *what* yet?"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://truthout.org/articles/georgias-governor-deputized-gop-vigilantes-to-challenge-149000-voters/

quote:

Maj. Gamaliel Turner was more than upset. Assigned by the Pentagon to the Naval base at Port Hueneme, California, Turner had called his hometown registrar in Columbus, Georgia, to find out about his missing absentee ballot.

The soldier’s ballot wasn’t missing. They hadn’t sent the ballot because, he was told, “Mr. Turner, you have been challenged.”

Challenged? Under a new law — SB 202 — signed by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp last year, self-appointed vigilante vote fraud hunters have, for the first time, the right to challenge an unlimited number of other voters: “There shall not be a limit on the number of persons whose qualifications such elector [voter] may challenge.”

Unlimited means unlimited. The man who challenged Turner successfully blocked 4,000 other voters in Columbus. So far, the 159 counties in Georgia have sent the Palast Investigative Fund a breathtaking 149,168 challenges filed against voters.

Our investigators contacted several hundred of these accused voters and they are, overwhelmingly, like Major Turner, Black or young.
So nearly 150,000 voters have been blocked by the GOP in Georgia already. How are they doing this so quickly? They’re using a list provided by the “Trust the Vote”, the organization that made that Russia map using “2000 Mules” documentary.

So uh, Georgia’s going red. Lol.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'm in Florida. Voted no on Amendments 2 and 3. Voted yes for some progressive local candidates. :)

Why no on 2?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I see no good reason to end the constitution revision commission. Also, this amendment was brought forth by the Republican controlled state legislature. gently caress em, they're up to something.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I live in a politically even, purple county and my precinct this morning was jam-packed. Usually no line but today I had to wait a few minutes in line then another few minutes for a spot on the table to fill out the ballot.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Typical Pubbie posted:

I see no good reason to end the constitution revision commission. Also, this amendment was brought forth by the Republican controlled state legislature. gently caress em, they're up to something.

They're pissed because the voters keep passing amendments that make them do things they don't want to do. Things like redistricting reform, medical marijuana, restoring felon voting, and increasing the minimum wage. The CRC is all but guaranteed to spit out at least one or two good amendments that they'll hate.

Also I'm for as many chances to add amendments as it takes for us to undo our undo of high speed rail.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Useless Anecdote from Midtown Manhattan: My polling location was busier than usual. May have been a sign of increased interest or it may have been because I was there after 8am and hit pre-workday traffic.

small butter posted:

These are the people who drive their car two blocks from their house to the bakery and never take the train or go downtown or to Manhattan. Crime is nonexistent here, never seen anything in 15 years of living in this neighborhood except loud arguments between people and family members. Covid by far killed more of them here than any crime. I want to ask them "had enough of *what* yet?"

You have hit on why Manchin and Sinema (and/or the rotating villain(s) of the year if you are of a certain posting school) are so frustrating to many posters here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I got to my precinct about 10 minutes before they were officially open and there was 5 or 6 people voting but no one was in line. In and out in 5 minutes. I live in Wichita, and I'm interested to see if the city will help push Kelly over the line.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Basic question from a non-American - why are the Democrats considered to be the majority party in the Senate when they only have 48 out of a 100 seats? Do the two Independents always vote in lockstep with them, giving them a majority coalition when the Vice President's deciding vote is taken into account?

e: this does appear to be the case. That's a really tight margin, though

Basically, yeah. The two independents both caucus with the Dems, meaning that they've joined the formal Dem party organization within the Senate, the Senate Democratic Caucus. This gives them all the same involvement in the party's day-to-day business as a Democrat would have, including supporting their candidate for Senate Majority Leader and being in their lineup for committee assignments.

On the ballot, they're independent and aren't officially affiliated with their state Democratic party, When in DC, they effectively act as part of the national Dem party organization, and are independent in name only.

The current "independent" candidates have good relationships with their state Dems as well; for example, although Bernie Sanders is officially an independent, he's never actually run against a Democrat for his Senate seat. The first time he ran for Senate, the state and national parties both endorsed him and refused to lend their aid or resources to any challenger. To ensure no Dem competitor, he has an arrangement with them in which he runs in the Dem primary with the full support of the party, wins it, and then declines the Dem nomination.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gently caress them kids
-Michael Jordan

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Voted for the first time as an American today. Pretty quick. Wrote in my wife's name for the option where only a Republican was available.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Is this about Epstein's island mansion?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Voted for the first time as an American today. Pretty quick. Wrote in my wife's name for the option where only a Republican was available.

Hell yeah let freedom ring :911:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5XNWFw5HVw

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao Kemp is so afraid of Abrams that he loving weaponized old chuds to deny votes to people.

loving fragile piece of poo poo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao Kemp is so afraid of Abrams that he loving weaponized old chuds to deny votes to people.

loving fragile piece of poo poo.

Weird how the guy known for rigging elections is rigging an election again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

joe football posted:

Doing my part with useless anecdotes

Suburban Pittsburgh and there was no line whatsoever compared to a 30+ minute wait in 2020(think I voted in the evening in 2018)

I know it's a midterm and people voted by mail etc but did not make me feel great
One of my friends in Pittsburgh is working a poll and saw this happening

quote:

the other district that shares our polling place is stuck handing out provisional ballots cause someone signed up to serve as judge of election, picked up the poll book and other poo poo from the county, and then never showed today
several people tried to find her and it turned out the address was a vacant lot

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

https://truthout.org/articles/georgias-governor-deputized-gop-vigilantes-to-challenge-149000-voters/

So nearly 150,000 voters have been blocked by the GOP in Georgia already. How are they doing this so quickly? They’re using a list provided by the “Trust the Vote”, the organization that made that Russia map using “2000 Mules” documentary.

So uh, Georgia’s going red. Lol.

I can't tell from the article. Is this affecting ballots after they have been cast or is this a horrible variation of a voter registration purge?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Thom12255 posted:

How could you do such a thing to your wife

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I ignore anecdotes about lines. They really don't tell you anything. I had to wait 10 minutes to vote in the primary, but for the general I was in and out in less than two. ???

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically, yeah. The two independents both caucus with the Dems, meaning that they've joined the formal Dem party organization within the Senate, the Senate Democratic Caucus. This gives them all the same involvement in the party's day-to-day business as a Democrat would have, including supporting their candidate for Senate Majority Leader and being in their lineup for committee assignments.

On the ballot, they're independent and aren't officially affiliated with their state Democratic party, When in DC, they effectively act as part of the national Dem party organization, and are independent in name only.

The current "independent" candidates have good relationships with their state Dems as well; for example, although Bernie Sanders is officially an independent, he's never actually run against a Democrat for his Senate seat. The first time he ran for Senate, the state and national parties both endorsed him and refused to lend their aid or resources to any challenger. To ensure no Dem competitor, he has an arrangement with them in which he runs in the Dem primary with the full support of the party, wins it, and then declines the Dem nomination.

Thanks for the explanation.

I had a look at the composition of both House and Senate, and Dem margins really are razor-thin. I understand why people are worried.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 8, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I can't tell from the article. Is this affecting ballots after they have been cast or is this a horrible variation of a voter registration purge?

It’s usual Republican fuckery because they have no shame but it’s not really a thing that’s different

achillesforever6 posted:

One of my friends in Pittsburgh is working a poll and saw this happening

allegedly philly turnout is great today as is other PA places so gently caress if i know.

https://twitter.com/blockedfreq/status/1589992520150560769

i kinda trust this dude. he only focused on PA this year and his whole summery about fetterman was good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keep in mind iirc Sinema wasn't an 'independent' til she got elected and suddenly turned around and started being an obvious Manchin wannabe.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

allegedly philly turnout is great today as is other PA places so gently caress if i know.

I mean, someone stealing election material is a really bad sign regardless of the magnitude of damage. Especially since they were able to just vanish afterward

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Keep in mind iirc Sinema wasn't an 'independent' til she got elected and suddenly turned around and started being an obvious Manchin wannabe.

Sinema isn't the independent he's talking about.

He's talking about Angus King and Bernie Sanders.

Sinema became a blue dog when she was elected to the House, but didn't have any procedural ways to screw things up there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's a former Green party member who was supposed to be super uber progressive.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rigel posted:

I've done the ghoulish math on this. In the stupidest and chuddiest parts of the country (like Florida), it might make a difference of a full 0.1%. So, it might help the Dems win a race that would have otherwise been almost perfectly tied.

Just to get back to this for a sec - I agree that Covid deaths will not really affect any national or statewide race, but I recall there were a couple of House districts in 2020 that came down to just a few handfuls of votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hopefully the early vote modeling nerds end up being right. They are confidently insisting that the GOP is in a huge deep hole that they can't dig out of on just election day turnout. Estimating that the Dems are up 11% nationally on mail in and early votes with youth votes roughly doubled over 2018.

A lot of pundits in the media have already written, polished off, and published their "this is why the Dems have lost the election" stories, which will hopefully look completely ridiculous in 12 hours.