Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

What legal consequences does he need a break from that hundreds of millions of dollars don't solve

the upcoming criminal charges over his theft of classified documents and repeated lies under oath about them, his long history of financial fraud that NY is charging him over, to name two things that are severely threatening to him he cannot buy his way out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure he gets back into the race. It's a gently caress ton of work to run for president and he's been back to his life of wealth and leisure for years now. It's going to take a whole lot to really get off the couch, so to speak. Maybe it happens, I think there's a significant chance that he just endlessly teases and decides instead to play kingmaker.

See, this is exactly what someone strategic and rational would do, but Trump is very rarely either of these things. He has a sizeable base of devoted followers who are begging him to run again; hell, I know more than a few people who have "TRUMP 2024" paraphernalia proudly displayed, and this is despite living in a pretty blue-friendly part of MN. I would imagine that even if he doesn't actually want to run, his narcissism and cultish following (and potential legal issues) would force him to.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

the upcoming criminal charges over his theft of classified documents and repeated lies under oath about them, his long history of financial fraud that NY is charging him over, to name two things that are severely threatening to him he cannot buy his way out of

Part of the reason his criminal charges are eternally "upcoming" is his wealth.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

at the end of the day money doesn't buy your way out of legal problems nearly as effectively as having a stranglehold on one of the two political parties in the united states

trump must run again to maintain that stranglehold. trump knows that many of the people who exercise real power would prefer he fall off a cliff. they want to get rid of him, badly, but cannot. he will run again because that way, nobody else can - and he can threaten if someone dares, he will split the party and run independent.

you cannot buy that level of political leverage against the DOJ for any amount of money. it is also worth noting that running allows him to use those hundreds of millions of dollars of other people's money he has banked for his legal problems, instead of his own.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Also, let's not forget that he is already taking pot-shots at DeSantis and even notable right-wing lapdogs like Matt Walsh are like, "Hey, this isn't helpful, maybe shut up for a sec." I can't fathom any reason why he would already be laying groundwork against DeSantis unless he was banking on facing off against him in a primary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I can't fathom any reason why he would already be laying groundwork against DeSantis unless he was banking on facing off against him in a primary.

I would actually believe he's playing dog in the manger out of ego and doesn't want DeSantis to even appear to be theoretically threatening his power

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Also, let's not forget that he is already taking pot-shots at DeSantis and even notable right-wing lapdogs like Matt Walsh are like, "Hey, this isn't helpful, maybe shut up for a sec." I can't fathom any reason why he would already be laying groundwork against DeSantis unless he was banking on facing off against him in a primary.

Yeah, I'm really wondering where that breaking news story of him being a teacher at Darlington for a year, where he had inappropriate behaviors with students and attended parties with minors came from? Seems like that would have killed any career as an elected official if it came out earlier but we get it while he's been a governor of a state and is the front runner of the GOP. I know the FL Dems are in disarray but come on, it's a two decade old story.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Amidst the booing someone hucked a beer at Ted Cruz.

https://twitter.com/wcgroovy/status/1589708360076922880?s=20&t=rGaJs71qqGlDZl80Jkwkzw

EDIT:

He might not be self-aware enough to be dying on the inside, but he ought to be!

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1589713078589198336?s=20&t=rGaJs71qqGlDZl80Jkwkzw

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 7, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'm really wondering where that breaking news story of him being a teacher at Darlington for a year, where he had inappropriate behaviors with students and attended parties with minors came from? Seems like that would have killed any career as an elected official if it came out earlier but we get it while he's been a governor of a state and is the front runner of the GOP. I know the FL Dems are in disarray but come on, it's a two decade old story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/05/us/desantis-high-school-teacher-georgia.html

I'm sure some people have already dug around for that year in Darlington. As weird as all that stuff was, there is no smoking gun there. He was only there to buy time until he could put his law school applications through and he probably wasn't there long enough to be able to get himself in trouble.

Maybe someone tried to juice it up in the press again to see if anyone would come out, but no matter what time this story came out, it'd be a big nothingburger.

Plus, I think a lot of GOP voters probably like the idea of the young jock teacher not being hung up on lib ideas like "propriety."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm sad someone from the other side of the road didn't chuck one at him when all of security was looking to the right.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/wcgroovy/status/1589708360076922880?s=20&t=rGaJs71qqGlDZl80Jkwkzw

EDIT:

He might not be self-aware enough to be dying on the inside, but he ought to be!

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1589713078589198336?s=20&t=rGaJs71qqGlDZl80Jkwkzw

In the 2016 primary Trump said Ted Cruz's wife is ugly and that his dad helped kill JFK *to Ted's face*, and at the end of the day Cruz still phone banked for Trump before the end. There is no debasement you can do to him that he won't ultimately smile and eat poo poo through.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

Trump has to run. He's facing potential legal and financial consequences and he probably also has a much better idea of how he can enrich himself in the office and delegate substantive work out now.

The only thing that keeps him from running is dying and the guy seems as healthy as any old and stocky rich man can be.

haveblue posted:

If he (correctly) sees becoming president as another 4-year break from legal consequences, he'll do it

Yeah, this is why I'm hedging, but he's not doing anything towards that end. He's not raising money, he has no infrastructure and so on. He's in clear legal trouble, but he's also a massively lazy gently caress. I can't say which side will win, but I think we should consider that there are multiple possibilities here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day money doesn't buy your way out of legal problems nearly as effectively as having a stranglehold on one of the two political parties in the united states

trump must run again to maintain that stranglehold. trump knows that many of the people who exercise real power would prefer he fall off a cliff. they want to get rid of him, badly, but cannot. he will run again because that way, nobody else can - and he can threaten if someone dares, he will split the party and run independent.

you cannot buy that level of political leverage against the DOJ for any amount of money. it is also worth noting that running allows him to use those hundreds of millions of dollars of other people's money he has banked for his legal problems, instead of his own.
I think it's also kind of been forgotten that the RNC has been paying a lot of Trump's legal bills, and if he's the nominee again they will probably continue to pay them

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, this is why I'm hedging, but he's not doing anything towards that end. He's not raising money, he has no infrastructure and so on. He's in clear legal trouble, but he's also a massively lazy gently caress. I can't say which side will win, but I think we should consider that there are multiple possibilities here.

Trump has been raising money since Election Day 2020. It's been infuriating republicans that he was siphoning money they thought should go to this election.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT:

Those are not "boos" they're saying "cruuuuuuuz" :colbert:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

evilweasel posted:

Trump has been raising money since Election Day 2020. It's been infuriating republicans that he was siphoning money they thought should go to this election.

My mistake.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT:

More like "Sen. Ted Cruz Showered with Booze"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^lol^^^

Epic High Five posted:

After 4 years of the opposition saying they can't do this or that to him because he's POTUS, it's hard to blame him for thinking that simply being a declared candidate will result in them all backing off out of terror of looking like they're being political. He's right to think that, imho. I think he's mostly just doing it because he misses the attention though.

Definitely this. If he were to announce, it'd be his way of making what's pretty certain to be a Republican wave tomorrow all about him and he'll likely even take credit for it. "None of this beautiful yuge red wave - biggest wave in all of history, the likes of which no one's ever seen - would have been possible without me. You're favorite president"

About this, one talk radio moron today and his guest were trying to say that "sanctimonious" is reallly a compliment, you see, because it means "having and holding a high moral character". Which, or course, is incorrect.

Definition of sanctimonious
1: hypocritically pious or devout

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

More like "Sen. Ted Cruz Showered with Booze"

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

DeathSandwich posted:

In the 2016 primary Trump said Ted Cruz's wife is ugly and that his dad helped kill JFK *to Ted's face*, and at the end of the day Cruz still phone banked for Trump before the end. There is no debasement you can do to him that he won't ultimately smile and eat poo poo through.
It did result in one of the most hilariously pathetic photos of a politician I've ever seen though, so there's that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's a lot to be said about how much hard work there is running a campaign and you'd be right, but Trump's not gonna do any of that stuff. Last time around the Republican party itself had to pretty much do everything for him that wasn't rallies and I can't imagine he's going to be any more hands on in a triumphant return. He knows they'll do it and even foot the bill because they wanna win.

I do agree that tonight or tomorrow is when he'll announce if he does but who the gently caress even knows with him, he may be waiting for someone else to announce first so he can steal their thunder by doing it 10 minutes later. Put a webcam on The Escalator and start watching for when staffers start hanging up tacky gold decorations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zero_Grade posted:

It did result in one of the most hilariously pathetic photos of a politician I've ever seen though, so there's that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The announcement tonight was for the announcement Nov 15th at Mar-a-lago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump gives the date he will (most likely) make it official:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1589817215418859521

Edit: Slightly beaten!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump gives the date he will (most likely) make it official:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1589817215418859521

Edit: Slightly beaten!

He's gonna string everyone along again and just announce his own new book.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Wanna just remind everyone how much of a psycho religious nut this guy was by saying that the picture only hints at it

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

He's gonna string everyone along again and just announce his own new book.
Trump will announce his own country

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Staluigi posted:

Wanna just remind everyone how much of a psycho religious nut this guy was by saying that the picture only hints at it

so glad CNN platformed him after he lost his Senate seat.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Pretty wild to think our democracy probably only has about 24 hours left before it's dead because gas is $4 a gallon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:rip: to all the D&D posters who craved up that picture and made avatars out of it and then got banned for being shitheads. Lookin' at you, peenworm

E: wait, did peenworm get banned? Was he a shithead? The late 00s on SA are a blur to me.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 8, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Timeless Appeal posted:

Trump will announce his own country

Why not? Dude has already announced his own reality.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Pretty wild to think our democracy probably only has about 24 hours left before it's dead because gas is $4 a gallon.

This is very unsettling. Do our elected officials know about this? I hope they're acting accordingly :ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Fear not, friend, it's been dead for longer than most of us have been alive.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Staluigi posted:

Ain't that the friggin' truth. There's a reason the dude's name is used to refer to the frothy mess you clean up after anal sex.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

woooo my high schools most famous alum

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This is very unsettling. Do our elected officials know about this? I hope they're acting accordingly :ohdear:

According to my inbox they are very aware of this yes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Did Joe Biden try the gas price low button? Maybe he should try that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mooseontheloose posted:

He keeps tweeting that it's low, but it's been creeping up in my area the past few weeks, so it's a bit of a "don't trust your lying eyes" situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mooseontheloose posted:

JazzFlight posted:

He keeps tweeting that it's low, but it's been creeping up in my area the past few weeks, so it's a bit of a "don't trust your lying eyes" situation?

He has released oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve over the past several months to help keep gas and oil prices down and lots of people have been criticizing him for that.

It has trended lower for a bit and now it's creeping up as people anticipate lower supply due to OPEC cutbacks and increasing pressure to squeeze Russia's oil money lifeline. OPEC has been trying to cut back due to recession risks likely putting a damper on oil demand. It's a screwed-up mess.