Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: a somewhat joke tweet stating that the Cherry Orchard should be 'deck verified' even though I'm probably the only one at that time who had attempted to play it on there. One thing to note is that this scene, specifically, uses a Kevin Mcleod track.

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1577046796454723586?t=kqCRneBG3pObHnlIjZgMIw&s=19

Nice! Did you have to resubmit for verification? When the deck was first coming out my game (shower with your dad sim) was listed as "unsupported" even though protondb said it worked fine. I got a mate with a steamdeck dev kit to try it out recently without issue, and had to resubmit for verification (with no changes other than a note saying "my friend got it to work") to get it listed as playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jsauxofficial/status/1589981075148677121?s=20&t=UcIU2Ott-it95pTgKPe4_w

This would be great for USB sticks. I wonder if we'll see one with USB C power passthrough?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t understand what I’m looking at. Are you supposed to use it for USB flash drives? how’s that convenient?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

https://twitter.com/jsauxofficial/status/1589981075148677121?s=20&t=UcIU2Ott-it95pTgKPe4_w

This would be great for USB sticks. I wonder if we'll see one with USB C power passthrough?

It’s not a bad idea but I ordered a bunch of the magnetic usb c chargers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegetable posted:

I don’t understand what I’m looking at. Are you supposed to use it for USB flash drives? how’s that convenient?

It'll keep anything you have plugged into the Deck behind it rather that sticking right out so I think it's just a tidiness thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Angryhead posted:

Thanks for this recommendation (and the Proton tip!), grabbed it a couple of nights ago and enjoying it quite a lot.
Like many goons I've played thousands of hours of a combination of the Diablos and Path of Exile in my life and Chronicon (Steam link) helps fill those same cravings.
What I really like is the tempo and how relatively passively it can be played (hello Vampire Survivors fans!)
I'm playing a Berserker and after about 3 hours on Normal I'm in the middle of act 2, running around fast while using multiple movement skills that also deal AoE damage and also got multiple orbs spiraling around me shooting enemies.
Only stopping to kill the bigger baddies or to open chests or whatever.
I've used 0 potions and died exactly once (to the end-of-act boss doing a very telegraphed attack)

There's also a load of loot of course - I turned off the first few rarity levels in the loot filter after an hour. Crafting system and gems and whatever too, haven't really engaged with those yet.

I imagine you can turn up the difficulty and get a slower, more tactical pace, but I'm enjoying the mindlessness of it and the contrast to how slow you are in PoE or Diablo after a few hours - hell, my ~3-hours build isn't far off from a Path of Exile end-game mapping build.

Awesome, glad you're digging it too. It's consuming all my game time right now and I'm fine with that. I just beat the campaign and the endgame stuff looks fun. The crafting and enchanting seems pretty awesome and I've only scratched the surface so far. I'm doing a Warden build with a wolf bro by my side and digging it. The free respecs are great to play around or change up builds if you get something special. 5/5, would definitely recommend if you like loot treadmills.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's also good practice not to let a USB C cable put any stress on the Deck's USB C port, so you should be using a 90 degree cable.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing Ghost Song on the OLED switch has really made me question whether I value beautiful color palettes or consistent performance more. At the moment I'm still leaning towards the colors but drat even the pretty simple looking Ghost Song struggles on the freakin' Switch.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I use 2 90° USB C adapters together to get the same thing. It makes the cable go down without bending it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seriously though these are pretty great

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Switch emulation may be a little rough, but Wii U emulation seems great and Breath of the Wild (and NES Remix and Bayonetta 2 and Super Mario 3D World) are perfect for the Deck! In my experience Wii U emulation using CEMU is smoother than Gamecube/Wii emulation using Dolphin, which seems surprising.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Nice! Did you have to resubmit for verification? When the deck was first coming out my game (shower with your dad sim) was listed as "unsupported" even though protondb said it worked fine. I got a mate with a steamdeck dev kit to try it out recently without issue, and had to resubmit for verification (with no changes other than a note saying "my friend got it to work") to get it listed as playable

I just wrote the music, so I have no idea. Manuela (the person who has the first tweet there) is the sole dev for The Cherry Orchard.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just bought a USB-C flash drive.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Seriously though these are pretty great

I see a lot of warnings about this style on r/steamdeck - shorting out/damaging charging ports. Don't ask me the specifics but the scuttlebutt is "buyer beware".

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Also if you're just looking for a 90 degree cable, this is the one I use and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Specially-Designed-Compatible-More-Grey/dp/B09XBDS6G9?th=1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

theBeaz posted:

I see a lot of warnings about this style on r/steamdeck - shorting out/damaging charging ports. Don't ask me the specifics but the scuttlebutt is "buyer beware".

Good to know! I’ll keep an eye on it.

theBeaz posted:

Also if you're just looking for a 90 degree cable, this is the one I use and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Specially-Designed-Compatible-More-Grey/dp/B09XBDS6G9?th=1

Thanks! I just picked one up. It’s a decent price too

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the difference between Fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen on the Deck?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

One is just about having fun, but the other is ready for a committed relationship.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PageMaster posted:

Functionally nothing, even windowed looks full screen on the Deck in some games.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Linux doesn't have the distinction between fullscreen/borderless windowed and exclusive fullscreen like Windows does.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PageMaster posted:

I wrote a bunch about fullscreen vs. windowed a while ago. The main difference is that when a game requests to run as (exclusive) fullscreen, gamescope resizes the game window to gamescope's nominal resolution (1280x800 handheld or 1280x720 docked). When a game runs as windowed, then the game window is just whatever size the game decides it wants, and gamescope will scale the result based on the applied Scaling Filter. Borderless is a weird situation where the game tries to figure out what the display resolution is (either 1280x800 or 1280x720) and then create a window of that size to take up the whole screen, but without actually going into fullscreen.

For most games, functionally these should all be the same as each other, but some games will behave oddly, particularly if you switch between docked and handheld. Like if you use borderless (sometimes just called "fullscreen" as opposed to "exclusive fullscreen") when docked, sometimes the game will "remember" it's running at 1280x720 and continue to use that in handheld, but if you change it to (exclusive) fullscreen then the game will correctly switch between the two resolutions when docked or handheld. Other games have the exact same problem when running "windowed". So, to be totally honest, it's a crapshoot. These days my recommendation would be to stick with the game's default behavior (say, "fullscreen") and if it screws up, then switch to the other ones (say, "windowed"). Again it's all supposed to be the same, but some games are just screwy about things.

The most recent time I had to change the default was Ghost Song. The game internally renders at 720x400 by default (why?), but when it goes into fullscreen it letterboxes it with weird border colors. So I had to change the internal resolution to 1280x720 to match the Deck's screen and run it windowed so that gamescope would handle the letterboxing and do it correctly.

pseudorandom name posted:

Linux doesn't have the distinction between fullscreen/borderless windowed and exclusive fullscreen like Windows does.
It sort of does. If you're running Xorg without a compositor enabled and a game goes fullscreen, it's more or less equivalent, particularly if the game is xrandr aware and changes resolution or refresh rate. Running with a compositor enabled is like borderless windowed. On a Deck in game mode though gamescope is always used as a compositor.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 8, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fate Extella does not work on Yuzu, but Fate Extella Link does. Weird!

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

loquacius posted:

Trying out Xenoblade 3 in Switch emulation and it's running but my deck is chugging and fanning and giving off heat like I haven't seen before. I'll try that RAM trick I guess. I thought this game also had a PC release but I guess not. Anyone have any other tips for this particular use case?

I had awful performance with XB3 until I made the tweaks outlined here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewYuzuPiracy/comments/woitfi/are_we_at_the_point_where_xeno3_is_decent_on/ikd2ip2/

Strangely enough, the basic graphics tweaks (along with moving to an EA version) didn't really seem to improve much-- once I enabled the 3 mods listed there was a world of difference.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Huh. Didn't know you COULD install mods, even. Cool! I'll check those out.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Got my RMA deck today. Total turnaround from
Opening the ticket last Saturday was 10 days. They sent what appears to be a brand new unit with all the retail packaging, etc, no issues out of the box. drat fine support there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1590071388790214657

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My GPD win max 2 will be here on the 10th lol it’s gonna be my dedicated windows handheld at this point.

Windows works ok on the deck but it’s a pita to have to boot off the sd card

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeckVsSwitch/st...ingawful.com%2F

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WTF I'm religious now? THanks obama

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Seeing that reminded me that this game exists and apparently development is still well underway https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198970/I_Am_Jesus_Christ/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Was going through airport security the other day and the TSA dude saw my Deck in his monitor and proceeded to have a long rear end conversation with me about it.

Didn’t stop him from flagging the pudding I was bringing through though :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I started playing Quake 4 on Steam Deck using these settings https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tu5k4c/took_some_config_file_tinkering_to_get_it_perfect/i33pr6m/ and the way it controls feels incredible, like a bespoke handheld port almost. It's a shame it doesn't have rumble but other than that, it looks and feels great.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Awesome, glad you're digging it too. It's consuming all my game time right now and I'm fine with that. I just beat the campaign and the endgame stuff looks fun. The crafting and enchanting seems pretty awesome and I've only scratched the surface so far. I'm doing a Warden build with a wolf bro by my side and digging it. The free respecs are great to play around or change up builds if you get something special. 5/5, would definitely recommend if you like loot treadmills.

I had some issues with controls but once I got my head round it (it works best for me using the touchpad rather than a stick for aiming) and the shortcuts I got sucked into this game. Put three hours into it last night.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Playing Death Stranding (Director's Cut). Sometimes if you put the deck to sleep, the controls will be unresponsive in menus when you resume. Does anyone know of a solution to this? Or any guesses? It's taking me so long to get through the game because I keep forgetting to save before I sleep the system, and then have to relaunch when I get back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the best way to shop steam deals? I've heard how much everything is on sale, but actual steam prices look fairly normal retail, it looks like the sales are usually on other sites that give you the code like humble bundle, is there a good site for seeing what is on sale on steam and where?

Similar to dekudeals.com ? That one covers the consoles.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's the best way to shop steam deals? I've heard how much everything is on sale, but actual steam prices look fairly normal retail, it looks like the sales are usually on other sites that give you the code like humble bundle, is there a good site for seeing what is on sale on steam and where?

https://isthereanydeal.com/

https://augmentedsteam.com/ - if you're browsing on desktop, grab this browser extension.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Will that extension work in Firefox on steam deck desktop mode?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Will that extension work in Firefox on steam deck desktop mode?

No idea. I use it on ("regular", Windows-PC) desktop Chrome.
I mean the main thing it does for your use is add a quick preview for that IsThereAnyDeal site, so you can just use that directly instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Approximately 4 times a year, a large percentage of games on Steam go on deep discount. There's quite literally a big sale per season, with I think the summer and winter ones being the most extensive, with the largest discounts.

If there are games on your wishlist that you can wait on a bit, in about a month and a half, just in time for xmas, they'll likely be heavily discounted on the Steam store.

Aside from that, I'd say Humble Bundle and Green Man Gaming have good deals. My wife and I used to share a copy of No Man's Sky when we took turns using our one gaming laptop, but when I got a steam deck, someone tipped me off to the game being on sale at GMG, and I saved over 50%. I also remember buying Rocket League there for something like $12, back when it was only about 3-4 months old. It's a fine, reputable site to use. But to aggregate all of this, IsThereAnyDeal is essentially Deku Deals for Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

also just add poo poo to your wishlist and then wait for the e-mail that says it's on sale.
edit: or periodically check your wishlist.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 9, 2022