Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

AnotherGamer posted:

I can't really say I liked any part of HK in retrospect: the healing builds being a dead end like Fuzz mentioned is annoying BS, but along with the rest of DS-inspired mechanics, I really loving hated the nonsense with the maps requiring you to buy one to even be able to see it and not having them update until you use a bench as well as the fact that there's no boss lifebars of any kind.

Few things destroy my tolerance towards an NPC as quickly as serving as a source of timewasting cutscenes in an rear end in a top hat bossfight you need to retry tons of times and that can't end until they steal the kill.

Also, if I wanted to play Super Meat Boy, I'd play SMB.

think u just suck rear end at the game and are mad and crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"heal builds" absolutely work in HK it's just frequently not obvious what the safe times to heal during boss fights are

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Your majesty, where the hell is Hollow Knight: Silksong

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A weird thing about Dark Souls is that a lot of the unique aspects that people focus on when they get frustrated are in plenty of other games as well, just Dark Souls developed unique mechanics about it to more directly integrate into the gameplay process. Like there's a whole system with healing being an active process that takes time, but the alternative system that other games use is pausing and going into a menu to heal, which is less integrated into the process. Making healing an active mechanic, especially one that you can recharge, makes it a much more active decision. Of course, I much prefer the part of gameplay where you're exploring an area and managing your own health against attrition rather than the boss fights.

The approach to death they have is also unique because the alternative that most games use is just restarting you at the previous checkpoint with all your progress erased as if it never happened, maybe decreasing some life counter. Dark Souls tries to turn death into something else to think about more actively. How well they manage to change the way people's look on death can be hit or miss though. You get to keep the items that you picked up after death, but that means much less in a game that relies less on inventory like Hollow Knight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

On PS5, I haven't seen any crashes or bugs either. Instant loading between rooms, too.
Yeah on a modern SSD it's fine, but on PS4/XBO (including the X) it's a 3-5 second load for each room depending on the size.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Stux posted:

think u just suck rear end at the game and are mad and crying

Guilty as charged, knew ahead of time that I would probably hate it but tried it anyway since people were hyping it so much everywhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ultimately uninstalled Ghost Song. Got I think over halfway in? The last crash cost me too much effort to replay

If you try to power through it the bug launcher is real good and you can just focus on kiting instead of actually dodging attacks

I looked up the rest of the plot I missed and lol there's a W'rkncacnter eating ghosts I guess

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 8, 2022

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I enjoyed Ghost Song well enough, but there was actually another metroidvania released just the day before and that game is Depths of Sanity:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/848080/Depths_of_Sanity/

quote:

When The Baroness submarine goes dark while investigating a massive vibration deep in the ocean, Abe Douglas, the commander who assembled its crew, makes it his responsibility to find out what happened.
As he plunges into the ocean, he has no idea that what he’ll uncover will not only threaten the lives of his crew, but his own sanity.

Deep, Involving Storyline:
Discover the fate of each crew member of The Baroness and uncover the mystery of the signal coming from the ocean floor.

Massive Interconnected World:
Explore beautiful coral reefs, sunken wrecks, underground magma lairs and much more in your journey to the darkest depths of the ocean.

Search, Scavenge, Stay Alive:
Danger comes from every angle. Unlock a wide variety of weapons to help you battle monstrous bosses, survive tense set-pieces, and uncover secrets that expand the story and your chances of survival.

Danger from Every Angle:
With full 360 degree movement, there are no double jumps or wall runs to help you under the ocean. Use a wide range of unique tools to uncover your environment, including tow lines that help you pull through heavy currents, and a sonar system that helps you navigate through pitch black darkness.

I have been playing it for last couple of days and it has been a pretty wild ride. Took a little bit of time to get used to the submarine controls but otherwise it has been a pretty smooth experience. Given the name most people can probably take a pretty good guess at which direction it goes in,
but I would probably stay clear of most of the trailers and pictures since it is pretty fun to discover that stuff naturally.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Stolen from the Steam thread, but this seems pretty drat relevant to what we've been talking about :stare:

https://twitter.com/cyangmou/status/1590011566757670912

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We were robbed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hollow Knight chat: Holy poo poo, I just found Nosk. What a creepy buildup that was.

What sucks is that I went into his area while I had over 1000 geo elsewhere from when I died that I should have collected beforehand. At this point in my game, 1000 is still a lot for me. Goddammit. I saw a video on how to sort of cheese him but I don't have a double jump yet, so I think this is going to be painful.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hollow Knight chat: Holy poo poo, I just found Nosk. What a creepy buildup that was.

What sucks is that I went into his area while I had over 1000 geo elsewhere from when I died that I should have collected beforehand. At this point in my game, 1000 is still a lot for me. Goddammit. I saw a video on how to sort of cheese him but I don't have a double jump yet, so I think this is going to be painful.

You can hide at the sides of the platform and he'll walk over you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since this is a relatively new thread (okay maybe not but I only just noticed it this week!) here's all the metroidvanias I've played:

S-Tier: Metroid franchise, Hero Core, Knytt Stories

A-Tier: IGAvanias including Bloodstained (visual cohesion aside), Alwa's Legacy, Environmental Station Alpha, Monster Boy & the Cursed Kingdom, Ori & the Blind Forest, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Unsighted (i think the time limit adds to the tension imo)

B-Tier: Alwa's Awakening, After Death, Arkham Asylum, Castle in the Darkness, Cathedral, Sydney Hunter (sorta), Dandara, Guacamelee 1 & 2, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, MindSeize, Momodora Reverie, Dragon's Trap remake, The Mummy Demastered, Odallus the Dark Call (sorta), Rabi-Ribi, Touhou Luna Nights, Rex Rocket, Rocketron, Strider 2014 (sorta), Super Panda Adventures, Supraland, Yoku's Island Express, Axiom Verge 2, Dust: An Elysian Tail (despite the bad map), Gato Roboto, Timespinner, Blaster Master Zero series, Kunai, Infernax

C-Tier: Catmaze, Chasm, Chronicles of/Finding Teddy, Elliot Quest, Ghost 1.0 & Mini-Ghost, Headlander, Indivisible, Magicians & Looters, Mystik Belle, Omega Strike, Pharaoh Rebirth+, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Robot Exploration Squad, A Robot Named Fight, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Shantae 5, Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, SuperEpic (a strong C+, I will say), Supraland: Six Inches Under, Treasure Adventure World, Anopek, Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human, Axiom Verge, Bunny Must Die, Escape From Tethys, Aztaka, Xeodrifter

D-Tier: Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Arkham Blackgate HD, Super/Win the Game, Ghostly Matter, Lootbox Lyfe, Memento Temporis (abandoned), Dark Matter (abandoned), Outbuddies DX, UnEpic, Vomitoreum, Inexistence

Not For Me Personally So I Won't Grade It Negatively To Aggravate Everyone: Valdis Story (really did not like damage cancelling your air movement)

Haven't Played Enough Of Yet: Hollow Knight (yes I know), Itorah, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Aquaria, Monster Sanctuary (though I'm not thrilled at the length of battles already), Shadow Complex

Haven't Bought Yet But Will Eventually: Ender Lilies, Astalon, Lone Fungus (when it's finished), Transiruby, FIST, Powerslave Exhumed, Souldiers

Metroidvania-Adjacent Games That I Enjoyed (ie games that get tagged by Steam users but aren't actually MVs): Cave Story, Binky's Trash Service, Creepy Castle (amazing game), Full Bore, Steamworld Dig 1 & 2, Hell Yeah, Knytt Underground, Saira, Owlboy (it gets a bad rap imo), Wuppo, any mazey Doom-like that has keycard doors (ie, uhh Doom), Tomba

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 9, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please don't remind me about Unepic

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have a soft spot for Unepic, but I have no illusions about why people hate it. I also never finished the dang thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What sucks is that I went into his area while I had over 1000 geo elsewhere from when I died that I should have collected beforehand. At this point in my game, 1000 is still a lot for me.
You should be putting that much geo in the bank.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steamworld Dig 2 is a Metroidvania specifically because the gimmick of the Steamworld series is to make every game fit into a different genre. I think Wuppo also counts, although it can be exceptionally shallow for what people want from a Metroidvania. It's very little.

Yoku's Island was annoying at times, and probably I don't generally enjoy pinball much, but the sheer novelty and zaniness of the premise and setting make up for it. It only really gets frustrating when trying to get all the collectables, which I feel weirdly more compelled to try 100%ing medtroidvanias than other games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

John Murdoch posted:

I have a soft spot for Unepic, but I have no illusions about why people hate it. I also never finished the dang thing.

Oh, I did. Shortround and all.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Plebian Parasite posted:

What's the best upgrade in a Metroidvania?

One of my favorites was the Soul of Wolf from SotN. It is absolutely never needed to beat the game, but it was a lot of fun dashing around, barking at enemies, and leaping off of slopes at high speeds. And figuring out places in bosses where being a wolf actually ends up being helpful.

It was a really unique sort of movement, and at the time I really wanted a whole game based on how that felt.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I really love Ecclesia's Magnes, what a fun traversal ability

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Getting the Fully Powered Suit* in Zero Mission owns. The theme kicks up and you just punch through everything in one shot, it's great

* it counts lol

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finished Ghost Song, looked up the other ending on Youtube since I must have missed a trigger or two for it, confirmed what made sense to me on an intuitive level about one of the big mysteries of the game.

I think I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Competently made, good aesthetics/sound design, plot is explained well enough if you do some exploration and sidequesting, it just never quite comes together all that cohesively. Certainly not the worst game the genre's ever seen, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to play it compared to other games in the space.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Finished Ghost Song, looked up the other ending on Youtube since I must have missed a trigger or two for it, confirmed what made sense to me on an intuitive level about one of the big mysteries of the game.

I think I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Competently made, good aesthetics/sound design, plot is explained well enough if you do some exploration and sidequesting, it just never quite comes together all that cohesively. Certainly not the worst game the genre's ever seen, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to play it compared to other games in the space.

I've been having trouble getting myself to play it, it just didn't feel good imo and I guess to me that's the most important part since you spend so long exploring and traversing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

9 Years of Shadows got delayed again to 2023 to fix a lot of the issues people had with the Next Fest build.

That means 2022 kinda came and went without a super amazing Metroidvania release, which is a shame. I still need to play Islets and Haiku, but otherwise it's like.. a battle between Infernax, Ghost Song, and what else? Supraland Six Inches Under? I almost typed Aeterna Noctus but that was actually December 2021. I guess there was Souldiers??

2023 though is going to be crazy for Metroidvanias:
Animal Well
The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Rune Fencer Illyia
Minishoot Adventures
Mira & the Legend of the Djinns
Dewdrop Dynasty
9 Years of Shadows
The Last Faith
Rebel Transmute
Exophobia
Rubi: The Wayward Mira
Kingdom Shell
Lone Fungus 1.0
Nine Sols
Curse of the Sea Rats
Rusted Moss
Vernal Edge
BioGun
Biomorph
Last Vanguard

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 11, 2022

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Astlibra Revision came out a month ago. It's not really a metroidvania, each chapter basically locks you into a location for its duration, but it has a lot of later Castlevania in its design and some "find item to open path" happens here and there. It's a blast to play, feels kind of like a side-scrolling Ys: Oath in Felghana, with constant satisfying progression and your character quickly evolving into a blender on legs. Crazy passion project made by one guy in his spare time over a decade plus, way bigger and better than it should be. It's got like a thousand positive reviews, and a demo!

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I definitely wanna try Astlibra, but I feel like it'll be on Game Pass before long.

Also your Ys comparison is funny, since Oath in Felgana is a remake of Ys III, which was actually a sidescroller

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Astlibra absolutely feels like if the Ys franchise continued iterating on side scrolling combat instead of going isometric and then 3D.

It's also fantastic and you should play it and give the guy money for it because he worked on it basically alone for fourteen god damned years and it's like his life's work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think one of the biggest advantages Metroidvanias have (or maybe even another defining feature) is that the way they work where you're supposed to just organically feel your way around the area to figure out where you can go and where you can't mean that they need much less artifice like cutscenes and dialogue to guide you. Maybe metroidvanias can't work if they put in too much artifice to distract the player even. It seems very important to how they work for the player to have a lot of control and not be overruled .

Which may also be why it took a while for the genre to really coalesce into something and take off. Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night were masterpieces of their days, but what made them work were things that videogames were moving away from with the development of other genres to fit the new developing technology. More games wanted to play around in the new possibilities of 3D rather than be limited to 2D. It took a long time to really be able to handle big fully integrated worlds in 3D, so there had to be separate worlds and levels and a lot of excuses for low draw distance. And if you really want to show off the new tech, it's easier to do with finely sculpted cutscenes and setpieces rather than risk the player wandering around and breaking something. It took the lower specs and functionality of the GameBoy Advance and later the less resources of the budding indie scene for the genre to really get established as a thing that was here for good, and then eventually inspire the AAA developers to try returning to their roots for their major titles with more player freedom and less artifice.

Either way, it's a real nice feeling with these games to be able to pick up and play without much getting in the way of actually getting to the gameplay and have the freedom to poke around on my own.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
What is the consensus on the Castlevania collections on steam?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I finally got around to playing Ghost Song! Unfortunately, it turns out I’m not a fan of Ghost Song!

Initially I’d gotten spooked at the lasting damage mechanic till I found out it was basically a nothingburger. I was enjoying the game until after I’d found the ship. Went to head back to the other side of the map and see what all I can get from the beginning area and maybe try to fight the one suit to the left of the very beginning of the game. Ran into a guy suit, tried fighting it and got my rear end handed to me. Trekked back, grabbed my nanogel, decided to go down the long lighted shaft and loop back around to the first upgrade spot you find. Bad idea, another mini boss was there, a lady suit with a big disc. I tried fighting her, died. Went back to retrieve the gel, realized the area was walled in until I beat her. Got the gel, died. Repeat a couple more times. Then she appears on the route I was taking to that area. I die, losing my thousands of nanogel.

I realize my other solutions, like get good or backtrack to that upgrade bot before the ship and fast travel. But man I hate games where you can permanently lose currency. Bounced hard off of Shovel Knight for the exact same reason. If I suck just let me keep bashing my head against the wall, don’t take away what I’ve worked for in the process. I don’t care how easy it is to regain or whatever, it’s just such a mental deflation

I really wanted to like this too because the atmosphere is amazing but it’s just not for me

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Atmosphere is probably the biggest strength of Ghost Song.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Anyone play Dark Light? It came out in September (was in early access before?), somehow ended up on my wishlist, and is in the week long sale. I can't find any reviews on it and it seems like the usual suspects haven't played it either.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dark Light is fine. Not the best available, but it has an interesting world and an art style that makes everything look like practical special effects from 80s horror movies. The game play feels a little stiff and awkward, but it's not the worst in the genre.

It's not really a metroidvania, though. It has set levels and, while you can go back through then, I haven't come across anything that needed tools I'd get later to access.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Playing Ragnarok and yeah, it and the first one are two of the best Metroidvanias in 3D of the last decade. Basically since the first Arkham Asylum and the Prime games. His all the right notes, though Ragnarok has a lot more very long linear setpieces, but then you can always go back to explore them later and there's blatant "you don't have the ability to access this secret/area yet" cues.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm replaying the previous God of War game and I don't see how anyone could classify it as a Metroidvania. If we keep calling every game a Metroidvania then the term is going to lose all meaning, much like the term RPG.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've returned to Hollow Knight to try psyching myself up to finish it, and I forgot that on top of borrowing heavily thematically and mechanically from Dark Souls and Metroidvania (heavier on the Metroid than the Vania with the organic areas and a number of the enemies), there's also a lot of Miyazaki influence. Some of the designs, and obviously the quality animation probably has some thoughts of it, but much more in the music. It's an odd choice to have this ruined kingdom where a number of areas are still full of life, but it works. It's like how the story and setting may be so bleak, but the artstyle is so cute.

In some ways, the more upbeat parts of the game may be some of the most mature? Like some of the more serious or sad areas feel kinda like something people would be fascinated with in adolescence, but the people that can put on a smile in times of most duress seems like a thing adults would be more focused on. Most of the NPCs seem to have happy ends as well, and there's maybe three functional societies still hanging around Hollownest, mostly unconcerned with the downfall of the kingdom at large.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got Ghost Song and yeah, it has issues. Controls are pretty bad and straight up bugged for me on mouse and keyboard, the character just stops aiming if you let the mouse sit still for a few seconds. Selection controls on the map screen and shop menu don't work right and the lack of a minimap is pretty glaring. The issue with the dodge invincibility frames being seemingly random is likewise not good. Also there is no point to sprinting instead of just dashing repeatedly as far as I can tell, and I got dashing first? They had years to fix these things so it's just bizarre.

I just got to the section where you cannot fast travel when carrying a ship part and that was a mega eye-roll, and god those floating exploding skull things are annoying all around, especially their sound effect. The atmosphere is pretty good, but otherwise I'm about to uninstall.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Steam Autumn Sale is happening, so there's some MVs on sale, including:

Blootstained: Ritual Of The Night - $13.99
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - $3.74
Rogue Legacy - $2.99
Rogue Legacy 2 - $18.74

Those last two are probably considered a Roguelike more than a Metroidvania, but Steam classifies them as both.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Steam tacks are pretty bad a lotta the time.
Rogue legacy has metroidvania-inspired maps and movement and whatnot but just like dead cells it has absolutely none of the "search-action" / "backtrack-em-up" DNA which is the part that really separates the feel of playing a metroidvania from any other platformer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steam Tags will let you search for 'open world' 'rpg' 'anime' and bring back Dark Souls 3, it really needs much higher thresholds for relevance for to produce garbage results