Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been told that engineers have been instructed to put the Official Checkmark on specific person's pages by Elon, by way of, and I quote, "editing the html or some poo poo. It's not hard to put an image on a website, I did it on geocities all the time you idiots."

Fascinating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Doesn't this just undercut any demand from those organizations most willing and able to pay $8/month for verification?

Not really. The new checkmark thingamabob has nothing to do with verification anymore.

The new checkmark is effectively the official tag. The blue check mark only serves to identify people dumb enough to burn 8 bucks monthly in the hope daddy Musk notices them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unperson_47 posted:

If what someone said about mastodon owning copyright to everything posted there is true, that's kinda hosed and should change.

That's not mastodon, that's a different alt-social network called cohost.

(Which is run by a bunch of people who seem like they're not assholes and write manifestos that cite Maciej Ceglowski and other good thinkers. So it kinda sounds like they had their ToS drafted by a lawyer and they didn't pay enough attention to it, which isn't great but may bot have been intentionally malicious.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Happy Landfill posted:

You know what? I take it back. Elon is funny. 44 billion dollarydoos for a second verification check mark that's separate from the one you pay money for and to have the gall to announce this like it's any different from the thing he was previously railing against is really loving funny.

I like how this "solution" is legitimately just a worse thing for everyone involved. Now the only reason I can think of anyone would get the $8 tick mark is if you are purposefully trying to pretend to be a legit verified account and just hope people want notice the account doesn't have the second tick. Other than that utterly useless.

It's so of impressive with how bad a comprise he ended up with.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gros Tarla posted:

Not really. The new checkmark thingamabob has nothing to do with verification anymore.

The new checkmark is effectively the official tag. The blue check mark only serves to identify people dumb enough to burn 8 bucks monthly in the hope daddy Musk notices them.

Yeah, but the $8/month was originally sold as verification, and there was at least some hope that CNN or Procter & Gamble would cough up to have a blue check (until everyone pointed out how stupid it was, and a bunch of comedians got kicked off Twitter).

If CNN can just get marked as "official," then yeah--your entire market is Elon fanboys. That can't be much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

afkmacro posted:

This is probably because it was easier for the remaining devs to implement a new “blue check” than to go back fix the clusterfuck caused by letting anyone buy it in the first place, I’d bet money that they didn’t have time or the expertise to undo the fuckery.

Will be interesting to see how it works for the API that third party clients use.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

If CNN can just get marked as "official," then yeah--your entire market is Elon fanboys. That can't be much.
How do you get more money from people who already spent all their money propping your stock up?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah part of the appeal of the pay is you would be just as important as any celebrities or politicians. This kind of crashes that so even fanboys can’t really have much a reason to pay

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol Elon will call it plat

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The best part of the new secret check mark is that Elon is absolutely going to weaponize it against celebrities he doesn't like

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LMAO, she pulled an 80-hour week and slept in a loving conference room for this

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

The best part of the new secret check mark is that Elon is absolutely going to weaponize it against celebrities he doesn't like

for sure. he might even come up with a special mark for his enemies. possibly Star of David?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elon: I invented the Official checkmark, also the term "prime the pump"

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, but the $8/month was originally sold as verification, and there was at least some hope that CNN or Procter & Gamble would cough up to have a blue check (until everyone pointed out how stupid it was, and a bunch of comedians got kicked off Twitter).

Was it? My understanding was that the 8$ was just for the checkmark, with no verification. The questions about the dilution of its meaning is what prompted the new tag.

I may be wrong, this poo poo show moves at an astonishing pace. But my interpretation is what sounds like the dumbest possible thing you could do so I’m pretty confident this is where Musk landed.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

That's not mastodon, that's a different alt-social network called cohost.

(Which is run by a bunch of people who seem like they're not assholes and write manifestos that cite Maciej Ceglowski and other good thinkers. So it kinda sounds like they had their ToS drafted by a lawyer and they didn't pay enough attention to it, which isn't great but may bot have been intentionally malicious.)

Dunno anything about co-host but that guy's a massive prick

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Some public figures

So DT, TC, RP, and JR.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gros Tarla posted:

Was it? My understanding was that the 8$ was just for the checkmark, with no verification. The questions about the dilution of its meaning is what prompted the new tag.

I may be wrong, this poo poo show moves at an astonishing pace. But my interpretation is what sounds like the dumbest possible thing you could do so I’m pretty confident this is where Musk landed.

The checkmark was kind of nebulous in what it was but Elon absolutely sold it as just like the old system but anyone could buy in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CharlestheHammer posted:

The checkmark was kind of nebulous in what it was but Elon absolutely sold it as just like the old system but anyone could buy in

Because he didn't understand that it was for verification until all the advertisers pulled out over the weekend and a series of people patiently explained it to him.

He probably still doesn't get it and this is just his sop to get people to stop pestering him

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah, well I totally lost the plot then.

Thanks for clarifying!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

woke kaczynski posted:

Dunno anything about co-host but that guy's a massive prick

Long time no see and also I would like to know more about this

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

double blue checkmark exists because elon didn't want to admit he had a bad idea.

but also what if say, the whitehouse just refuses to pay $10. do they get that 2nd checkmark or what?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Strong Sauce posted:

double blue checkmark exists because elon didn't want to admit he had a bad idea.

but also what if say, the whitehouse just refuses to pay $10. do they get that 2nd checkmark or what?

Like he'd give the official mark to the white house occupant that stole the election

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
gently caress I was gonna buy some Tesla puts today, forgot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

madmatt112 posted:

gently caress I was gonna buy some Tesla puts today, forgot.
I don't think you're supposed to talk about buying Africans anymore. You should probably apologize to the Tesla putz.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

zedprime posted:

I don't think you're supposed to talk about buying Africans anymore. You should probably apologize to the Tesla putz.

yikes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I was thinking of this exact page today while reading about this

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lmaoooo

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1590153201093087233?t=pfbm29ioHQX_KVlMmd1EcA&s=19

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Esther is the worst type of engineer quisling - old enough she should loving know better than to run interference for a lovely boss, possibly THE shittiest boss.

Just keep smiling and nodding and saying “on it boss” while you reach out to your industry contacts to gtfo asap

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Holy :lol:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Told y’all dude was hurting for cash

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Isn't BNO just something that makes up unsourced headlines

I mean I wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true but

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hmm, they do only have one check mark

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Justin Credible posted:

Isn't BNO just something that makes up unsourced headlines

I mean I wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true but

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/08/elon-musk-sells-at-least-3point95-billion-worth-of-tesla-shares.html

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

lol, lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol wonder if my Tesla savings account colleague will show up

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

wooo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Always remember that Ford brought in Toyota engineers to redo their production lines in the 70s for the exact reason that they realized it was the only way they could advance

That sounds interesting, you got any articles on it?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lmao

He's selling on election night hoping fewer people notice. He's hosed up and now he's scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wait, he apparently had 25% of Tesla before the Twitter deal. How much has this guy sold off? Tesla isn't even his company any more lol

Dude is 100% gonna own Twitter and nothing else and it will rule.