Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Highly recommend King Leopold's Ghost if you wanna ruin your week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Not a perfect comparison but Revachol's more fantasy New York, being a colonial city that surpassed the metropole in splendour and influence.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sierra Madre posted:

Not a perfect comparison but Revachol's more fantasy New York, being a colonial city that surpassed the metropole in splendour and influence.

Really thought it was supposed to be alternate reality Paris and the commune phase. Short lived and all the pain and sorrow of the Revachol shenanigans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its more than one thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

Its more than one thing.

Isn't it always.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Maybe the new worlds discovered in/created by the pale male are more of metaphorical worlds anyways. A historical journey from the old monarchy to the moral intern and finally at the union syndicate, each its own body.

I dunno if I'm using "syndicate" properly but w/e

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Revachol is part France, part British Empire, part post-communism Warsaw Pact state, and part New York (if New York was cut in half by a river with an ultrarich international zone in the east and the subjugated dirt poor locals in the west.)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sierra Madre posted:

Hey, I'm hangin' here!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I thought British Empire is Sur-la-Clef. Also I wanted to post this amazing AMV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qMM5XkMQw

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pedro0930 posted:

I thought British Empire is Sur-la-Clef.

not everything is a direct 1:1

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

wiegieman posted:

Revachol is part France, part British Empire, part post-communism Warsaw Pact state, and part New York (if New York was cut in half by a river with an ultrarich international zone in the east and the subjugated dirt poor locals in the west.)

Yeah our ultrarich international zone is to the west. And if you keep going you hit joysey

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
New conceptualization dropped https://twitter.com/artofrostov/status/1590353068729995264

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hoping for double sixes through this entire ordeal for our troubled creatives

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

My Harry has set up a meth lab multiple times and defrauded bending light guy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope they stuff the mega rich light bending guys into a cargo container and ship them to Baltimore irl

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

General Battuta posted:

I hope they stuff the mega rich light bending guys into a cargo container and ship them to Baltimore irl

Season 2 of The Wire is so underrated

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

People couldn't handle poor white criminals, it broke their brains.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
This is it guys. Major pog moment. Our Guys have publicly alleged fraud on ZA/UM Corporate's behalf. This may be the path to the restoration of ZA/UM.

Rostov and Kurvitz posted:

Both civil claims and criminal charges are on the table — in Estonia and the United Kingdom.

They're downplaying their own ability to challenge ZA/UM but I really think they could do it. Let us hope they succeed.

Edit: the infringement in question:

Rostov and Kurvitz posted:

We have now learned that Tütreke OÜ must have obtained control over Zaum Studio OÜ by fraud. We believe the money used by Tütreke OÜ to buy the majority stake was taken illegally from Zaum Studio OÜ itself, money that belonged to the studio and all shareholders but was used for the benefit of one. Money that should have gone towards making the sequel.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 9, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Interesting day for creatives vs mega rich light bending guys. Mick Gordon also just released a full-sized novel of a statement about how he got shafted on Doom Eternal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/yqk10g/mick_gordon_my_full_statement_regarding_doom/

(Posting link to Reddit discussion for the tl;drs.)

EDIT: Also, gigachad Harry just for the gently caress of it:

gently caress 'em up, Robert and Mick.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 9, 2022

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
shits gonna get messy

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/disco-elysium-studio-zaum-confirms-former-employees-were-fired-for-misconduct

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That must have been Harry when he was a Gym teacher

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Whoa I can’t believe the people that created this game might have some demons. Truly baffling

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Kompus also claimed that Kurvitz and Taal had discussed wanting to take control of the company's intellectual property – including Disco Elysium – which he described as "delusions of grandeur."

"They went to sell themselves secretly and in violation of existing contracts to other well-known large game industry companies, but no one was interested," Kompus said. "That might have made them angry."

I fully believe these dudes were assholes and hard to work with but calling the idea of owning the IP you built from nothing "delusional" is rich in every sense of the word

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

General Battuta posted:

I fully believe these dudes were assholes and hard to work with but calling the idea of owning the IP you built from nothing "delusional" is rich in every sense of the word

Tbh I would probably believe claims of harassment on their own, but when it all comes mixed with information like this we already know to be bullshit I’m skeptical

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its pretty telling to me that they only really point to Kurvitz being an rear end in a top hat and "trying to steal the ip". They don't seem to even bother mentioning a reason why Hindpere and Rostov were let go

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They're going to smear kurvitz and co as much as possible and they have oodles of cash with which to do it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's a classic Joyce vs evrarte fight but irl between the wealthy financiers and the workers.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If games industry dot biz sources aren’t the people in a fight to with Kurvitz then it’s really probably not that cut and dried

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I cannot accept, given the scale of the game, this claim:

ZA/UM posted:

● Limited to no engagement in their responsibilities and work – including not working at all for almost two years while still being paid by the studio – and forcing colleagues to compensate for their lack of effort.

Lack of effort? :dafuq:

Do they seriously expect anyone to believe the leads on this game, of all games, were too lazy to keep on the payroll????

It's loving massive!!! It's huge!!! It's like a billion words fully voiced plus a billion art assets plus a hundred billion man-hours of lore and backstory!!! gently caress off ZA/UM!! gently caress OFF!!! gently caress off with that BULLSHIT!!!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

i am a moron posted:

If games industry dot biz sources aren’t the people in a fight to with Kurvitz then it’s really probably not that cut and dried

Excellent post/username combo. Top tier gimmick imo :cheers:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Excellent post/username combo. Top tier gimmick imo :cheers:

Settle down Beavis

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s completely possible that Kurvitz et al were toxic disengaged assholes because they made a successful game and a beautiful world and it was all being stolen from them. Material conditions change how people behave.

It’s possible they were just assholes anyway but I doubt the material conditions helped. Great writers don’t always make great collaborators or great bosses or even great people. They still deserve to get paid and own their work.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sure, but keep in mind that wealth can shape perceptions. Financiers can afford to hire fancy pr firms and expensive lawyers to smear their opponents and white wash their own image. Kurvitz cannot. so everything you read should be taken with the context that thousands of dollars has already been spent to bias the story against kurvitz.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm a big fan of the argument that the fired staff members were frustrated and upset that no external orgs wanted to work on the Disco Elysium IP from the individuals who made a deal with Amazon for the Disco Elysium tv show adaptation. A very credible claim.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

quote:

TO FANS OF DISCO ELYSIUM, CONCERNING THE SITUATION AT ZA/UM

(FROM ROBERT KURVITZ AND ALEKSANDER ROSTOV)

We are Robert Kurvitz and Aleksander Rostov — the game director and art director of Disco Elysium. Our stake in the game exists in the form of minority shareholdings in an Estonian company called Zaum Studio OÜ, which owns everything related to the game. The majority of this company’s shares were initially held by Margus Linnamäe, an Estonian businessman and investor who provided the initial capital. In 2021, Linnamäe was bought out by another minority shareholder, an Estonian company Tütreke OÜ. Tütreke OÜ is a vehicle for two Estonian businessmen — Ilmar Kompus and Tõnis Haavel.

As minority shareholders our rights are limited. As long as Linnamäe remained the majority shareholder, we were confident that the company’s financials were in order and that all shareholders were being treated equally. The same can not be said for Kompus and Haavel. As soon as they became majority shareholders, we were quickly excluded from daily operations, our employment was terminated and our access to the company’s information was shut off. Our firing came weeks after we started asking for documents and financial data, which is still being kept from us.

We have now learned that Tütreke OÜ must have obtained control over Zaum Studio OÜ by fraud. We believe the money used by Tütreke OÜ to buy the majority stake was taken illegally from Zaum Studio OÜ itself, money that belonged to the studio and all shareholders but was used for the benefit of one. Money that should have gone towards making the sequel. We believe that these actions — which in our view, and the view of our lawyers, amount to criminal wrongdoing punishable by up to three years imprisonment — were perpetrated by Ilmar Kompus and Tõnis Haavel with support from Kaur Kender, another minority shareholder. This is hardly surprising given that Tõnis Haavel, who we believe to be the ringleader, has been convicted for defrauding investors on a different matter in 2007 [https://www.riigiteataja.ee/kohtulahendid/fail.html?fid=303963621].

We are now in the process of reviewing our legal options. Both civil claims and criminal charges are on the table — in Estonia and the United Kingdom.

Needless to say, it has been a very difficult time for us. After five years of gruelling work we released Disco Elysium, a game beloved by millions. As our reward, we were summarily fired and cut off from our life’s work — the world of Elysium. The company we built has been looted, while our own earnings are insufficient even to cover legal fees.

Until now, we’ve refrained from speaking out. This has been entirely voluntary, out of consideration for the people still working at ZA/UM — and for our own mental health. But given the severity of our suspicions — and the seriousness of the evidence we have — we think it’s time people knew what has transpired at the company.

We remain eternally thankful to all the fans of Disco Elysium, who have offered us invaluable moral support. We still believe in games, we still believe in ourselves — and we still believe in you. Millions of RPG fans have proven that games like Disco Elysium have a mass audience. This is a truly wonderous thing. No one can take that from us.

We also believe in what Harrier du Bois calls “the law”. It’s not perfect, but it’s there to protect those who create from those who take. And so it will.

Robert Kurvitz — game director
Aleksander Rostov — art director

https://medium.com/@artofrostov/to-fans-of-disco-elysium-concerning-the-situation-at-za-um-3e6bc46ea9c

So, they're accusing the studio owners of defrauding investors, which is basically the only crime that rich people ever pay the price for.

Sounds interesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't believe one mildly successful video game (Disco Elysium's peak players is 8k, https://steamcharts.com/app/632470#All, which is equivalent to Return to Monkey island, which gives a sense that it did well for genre) has remotely provided the riches it is claimed are being embezelled and fought over.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alchenar posted:

I don't believe one mildly successful video game (Disco Elysium's peak players is 8k, https://steamcharts.com/app/632470#All, which is equivalent to Return to Monkey island, which gives a sense that it did well for genre) has remotely provided the riches it is claimed are being embezelled and fought over.

Return to Monkey Island has 5k steam reviews, Disco Elysium has 60,000. I think that it's pretty fair to assume that maybe it's sold a few more copies.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Considering there has been no mention as to what amount of "riches" have been embezzelled I question how you reached this conclusion.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

To be more direct, you don't think the studio could have made enough money off of DE to partially fund a sequel?

Edit: Also, do you have any commentary on the fact that these men have been previously convicted of defrauding investors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The fact that the 24-hour peak is more than 40% of the all-time peak on a game that was released three years ago is pretty incredible. And looking at that graph over time, it never really dipped all that much. It has a higher average concurrent player count than Doom Eternal, a game which peaked at over 84,000 players and came out more recently.