Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

No they wanted to trade Contreras pretty badly, but the consensus is that the asking price was way too high and when it came down to the final hour the only team that was seriously still interested was the Mets, who after getting absolutely fleeced by the Cubs for Javy last year were not willing to trade any of their actually good prospects so the Cubs walked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My hopes for next season are in the basement, digging out a second basement.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bees x1000 posted:

My hopes for next season are in the basement, digging out a second basement.

Hey at least Moreno is selling the team! It can't get worse right??

*cue elon musk*

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He’s gonna look awesome in a Cardinals jersey :)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Slimy Hog posted:

Isn't it amazing?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

He’s gonna look awesome in a Cardinals jersey :)

mods??????????????????????

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sydin posted:

No they wanted to trade Contreras pretty badly, but the consensus is that the asking price was way too high and when it came down to the final hour the only team that was seriously still interested was the Mets, who after getting absolutely fleeced by the Cubs for Javy last year were not willing to trade any of their actually good prospects so the Cubs walked.

They came to an agreement to trade him to Houston for Urquiddy. Dusty nixed the trade.

I would have liked to see it from a purely salt mining perspective from this thread.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sab0921 posted:

They came to an agreement to trade him to Houston for Urquiddy. Dusty nixed the trade.

I would have liked to see it from a purely salt mining perspective from this thread.

Seems like a massive overpay given Urquiddy is MLB-established as a #4ish starter with multiple years of control remaining. Granted idk anything about the guy beyond what I just pulled up on bref, maybe he's got some warts or something?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Urquidy is likely to be an odd man out long relief guy in the future. Especially if Whitely ever figures it out

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am pretty sure that willson on the astros would have led to the most insane posting humanly possible in SAS and 80% of it would be my fault.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs would have traded for Urquidy and then non-tendered him because the arbitration number was too high.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yeah, that's right. You can only get a QO once and you have to be on the team roster for the entire season to be eligible. Rizzo couldn't receive a QO last year because he went to New York via trade, for example.

the QO is also going to be around until the end of the current CBA at least because of MLB and the players association missing the deadline on their international draft deal a few months ago

Thanks. The QO is really dumb and even dumber that a 33 year old with almost 10 years of service time has to deal with it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Urquidy is likely to be an odd man out long relief guy in the future. Especially if Whitely ever figures it out

No sense counting on Whitley anymore and it wouldn't shock me if we let someone else pay for Verlander's 40s so he could definitely have a spot

Ideally we'd just pay Contreras and get him anyway, frankly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

No sense counting on Whitley anymore and it wouldn't shock me if we let someone else pay for Verlander's 40s so he could definitely have a spot

Ideally we'd just pay Contreras and get him anyway, frankly

That still leaves us with Framber/Lance/Javier/Garcia/Brown even without JV

But if there's something this season taught me it's that you can't have too much pitching depth. Just saying that Urquidy isn't exactly untouchable though you could probably get more for him than two months of Contreras

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well there's that too

If we had traded Urduidy for Contreras and immediately signed him to a deal I wouldn't have any complaints about it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
e: wow wrong thread.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

There’s basically zero chance of Whitley ever figuring things out in a meaningful way. He’ll be another long relief guy at best.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah at this point getting a single meaningful major league inning out of him and not just one last "gently caress it throw him out there and see" try would be a miracle

TINSTAAPP but also their REALLY isn't any such thing as one when they've been through as much as Whitley

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'd say if the Astros are really serious about going back to back, they need to get JV back at least for one more year. He just came off his best season, and puts the rotation over the top. Framber/LMJ/Javier/Urquidy/Garcia/Brown sounds good, but would require some luck to replicate the success of the pitching this year. Something like Lance staying healthy all year, Javier being the guy he was in the playoffs all year, Brown stepping right in as a ROTY level guy, etc. Don't know if you gamble on any of that vs. JV being CY-level again. I could also see the pitch clock hurting Garcia a lot

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'd say if the Astros are really serious about going back to back, they need to get JV back at least for one more year. He just came off his best season, and puts the rotation over the top.

Hot take

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am pretty sure that willson on the astros would have led to the most insane posting humanly possible in SAS and 80% of it would be my fault.

This is what I needed.

Though Rizzo on the Yankees did not result in anything, very disappointing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JV is 39, you have to move on eventually. I'd like to have him back but not at the 4/120 or whatever he's going to get. If he doesn't opt out I'll be thrilled. He's going to opt out

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had no idea Gurriel was 39. I guess that'll happen when the majority of your career is in Cuba.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/ThelmaD852/status/1590297343358021633

2nd lowest TV ratings for a World Series ever, behind only the pandemic season in 2020.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Doesn't include streaming (I think?) which is pretty much taking over how folks watch.

Besides, Astros beat the Dodgers again.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2nd lowest TV ratings for a World Series ever, behind only the pandemic season in 2020.

Interesting, since apparently the combined no-hitter in game 4 did very well. I guess the other games not so much.

Anyway, I finally shelled out for some Astros gear from mlbshop.

Ended up getting a couple t-shirts (a blue one and a black one) and a couple hats (a solid back black one for myself and a nice blue one with a hole for my mom's ponytail for her. The only thing she wanted back in 2017 was a similar hat, so hopefully she likes one of her presents this time around ;D).

Around $140... hoooo... I'm hoping maybe I can snag a few more things closer to Black Friday in person at an Academy or something? hell, I dunno if Academy does black friday sales or not. If they do, probably not on recent championship merch. Meh.

Oh, also... it said free 3-7 biz days shipping, but my ETA is December 5th, so... ooof. No rush, though. I've still got my 2017 hat and 4 2017 shirts (I went a bit crazier that time...).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't care if the WS sets new levels of unpopularity every single year as long as the team I like wins it :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
See, the Astros are bad for baseball

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Nodoze posted:

See, the Astros are bad for baseball

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the astros are great for baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1590353412247678976

Huh. Thought he'd be the one to decline it (mutual), not the team

e:

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1590352986580344832

Enjoy your new WS ring for doing nothing Will

e2: I'm really not liking how Crane is handling the Dusty/Click situation. He's looking like a real shitbag tbh

vvv Will Smith did fine as an Astro I guess? He didn't pitch much but he was effective. Yes I get the frustration at him blowing the no hitter but oh well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 9, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

the astros are great for baseball

Thank you Trey for that play at 1st in game 5. Will Smith, not going to miss you. You're one lucky SOB.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 9, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I remain baffled why the Cubs' FO never considered extending Willie and seemed to want him gone for years. It's incredibly hard to find a catcher that can hit even a little!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

wtf is this twitter account?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
The Athletic has a piece up about how the rule changes might affect valuations of certain types of players this offseason. A bunch of execs were quoted in it.

quote:

One executive The Athletic approached on Tuesday, Chris Antonetti of the Guardians, didn’t want to discuss the impact on his evaluations at all. Likely, Antonetti declined for the reason GMs and presidents often don’t like to discuss interesting things: because they think it’s a competitive advantage to stay quiet.
I love Cleveland’s FO, even if they are Management.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A guy like Rizzo who is heavily shifted hitting FA could be a big pick up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

They still might keep him if the QO scares other teams away. Then we get to do the whole trade deadline drama all over again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Max Muncy redemption tour

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I remain baffled why the Cubs' FO never considered extending Willie and seemed to want him gone for years. It's incredibly hard to find a catcher that can hit even a little!
Look, they had to save their owners’ money for the midterms

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sharma put out an article on The Athletic that implies that Cubs have gradually shifted their philosophy to preferring defensive-oriented catchers who can game call and work well with pitchers, none of which Contreras is highly regarded for. It was the reason they got Gomes last year and it sounds like they plan this year to get another catcher in a similar mold. Honestly it kinda sounds like the Cubs have wanted to move on from Contreras for a while. :shrug:

https://theathletic.com/3774283/2022/11/08/willson-contreras-free-agency-return-cubs/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&redirected=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I love Cleveland’s FO, even if they are Management.

Did you forget about the Mickey Callaway stuff or???