Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tigey posted:

Its not a "fear" it will be a way to disenfranchise the poor, it is literally the sole aim.

They can't say that bit out loud (yet - give it a few years at this rate though), but there is no other valid reason for doing this. There are effectively zero problems with voting fraud in the UK - the numbers of cases are basically utterly insignificant. The only reason to do it is to make it harder for the young, poor and browns to vote. All of who are less likely to vote Tory.

Yes, this, there is literally no reason we need voter ID, I don't honestly believe there is a reason anywhere needs it if you set up the electoral system properly, the sole reason that the state has ever introduced more and more "official" processes for doing things is to reduce people's ability to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It would be nice if we could fully transfer the vote from propertyhood to personhood (and in the same way the political actor from the politician to the person), but every one of the ideas they keep doing is very much not it. Like if someone subcontracted Votes for Women to Graham Linehan in 1912.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

So is some of this opposition to voter ID down to Privacy Concerns, some of it out of a fear it will be a way to disenfranchise the poor, and some of it down to this weird English "hatred of having written laws/Constitution because it always worked before and why change things now?"
The privacy concerns are that the personal data and health records of the entire country will be held by an absolutely incompetent 3rd party who will immediately sell it to every insurer who asks nicely.

I think that's the UKMT position generally along with a general 'feels a bit fash mate' vibe, because passports and driving licenses as a requirement are already used as 'official' proof of ID to disenfranchise the poor (a national ID would in theory be cheaper).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mine is genuinely just that I really do think that putting everything through official IDs is already conceding too much ground. I don't think people should need IDs to see a doctor, get a job, get a roof over their heads. And I don't think saying "well what if we made the ID centralized" is a good counter to that, because every single loving time you give the government the power to say who is allowed to have stuff and who isn't, they use it to take stuff away from people.

And that's ignoring that half the things they want ID to "authorize" your access to shouldn't even be loving scarce to begin with, the only reason they are to create a market to sell them to people.

If you want food you should have it, you want shelter you should have it, you want a doctor you should have them, the government doesn't need to know exactly what loving vegetables you spent your food benefits on to decide whether or not you are sufficiently proactive about your health to deserve a doctor. The only thing the government should be spending their time on is hunting down rich people to tax them into the dirt to fund the stuff that's free for the asking.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 9, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They should just go full tattooed barcode on your forehead as per Sprouts of Wrath.
Or I suppose we could get microchipped instead and go on the pet register.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tigey posted:

Its not a "fear" it will be a way to disenfranchise the poor, it is literally the sole aim.

They can't say that bit out loud (yet - give it a few years at this rate though), but there is no other valid reason for doing this. There are effectively zero problems with voting fraud in the UK - the numbers of cases are basically utterly insignificant. The only reason to do it is to make it harder for the young, poor and browns to vote. All of who are less likely to vote Tory.

To put this in perspective: in 2019 there were 595 cases of electoral fraud, and only 164 of those in the General Election. That's less than one case per constituency. And the great majority of them were campaigning offences - candidates giving the wrong address, forging signatures for their nominations and so on. Only 142 of the 595 were actual voting offences, and of those only two led to a conviction or police caution - neither of them in the GE.

In summary: 32 million votes were cast in the 2019 General Election. There were zero provable cases of voting fraud.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
We've managed a couple of thousand years without "~*~*~*~ ID Cards ~*~*~*~*". We can manage a few thousand more.

It's up to you (them) to make the case, it's not up to me (us) to defend the lack of them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of ID cards, I used to carry my carte de sejour with me when I lived in France (99-03). I think it was free to get, or certainly wasn't cost prohibitive as I was skint at the time. It was also very easy for a non French speaking person to get, and at no point did I feel as though any of my rights were being breached by having or carrying one. Quite the opposite in fact, it helped me to feel included. You were legally obliged to register and apply for one if you were living there for more than 3 months. I didn't apply until month 5, and nobody cared.

I think ID cards are a good thing if they are done right and accessible to all. We're already proving our ID multiple times every day, from unlocking phones, swiping travel passes to using chip and pins.

But alas the Tories are in charge, so of course it won't be done right

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of ID cards, I used to carry my carte de sejour with me when I lived in France (99-03). I think it was free to get, or certainly wasn't cost prohibitive as I was skint at the time. It was also very easy for a non French speaking person to get, and at no point did I feel as though any of my rights were being breached by having or carrying one. Quite the opposite in fact, it helped me to feel included. You were legally obliged to register and apply for one if you were living there for more than 3 months. I didn't apply until month 5, and nobody cared.

I think ID cards are a good thing if they are done right and accessible to all. We're already proving our ID multiple times every day, from unlocking phones, swiping travel passes to using chip and pins.

I don't think any colour of British govt would do it right. They'd insist on inserting a microchip with your entire financial, medical, employment, social media records on it as well as name, address, county and maybe NI number.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently this is the uptodate 'acceptable ID' list:

https://twitter.com/akersley/status/1589942252012699648

It includes the PASS card. Don't know what the original source of this list is.

People who can verify you

https://postoffice.citizencard.com/requirements-for-a-post-office-pass-card
https://postoffice.citizencard.com/list-of-referees-validating-original-documents

Permitted list of referees validating original document(s):
Accountant
Airline Pilot
Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
Assurance agent (of recognised Company)
Bank / Building Society Official
Barrister
British Computer Society (BCS) - Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
Chairman / Director of a Limited Company
Chemist
Chief Petty Officer
Chiropodist
Commissioner of Oaths / Notary
Councilor (County / Local)
Civil Servant (permanent)
Dentist
Designated Premises Supervisor
Director / Manager of a VAT registered Charity
Director / Manager / Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
Doctor
Engineer (qualified to a Degree in Engineering)
Estate Agent
Financial Services Intermediary (e.g. stockbroker or insurance broker)
Fire Service Official
Funeral Director
Immigration Adviser (regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner)
Insurance Agent of a recognised Company (permanent)
Journalist
Justice of the Peace
Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
Local Government Officer
Manager / Personnel Officer (of a Limited Company)
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy Officer
Minister of a recognised religion
Nurse / Midwife (RGN and RMN)
Officer of the armed services
Optician
Paralegal - Certified Paralegal, Qualified Paralegal or Associate Member of the Institute of Paralegals
Person with honours (e.g. OBE, MBE etc.)
Personal Licence Holder (of recognised Company; e.g. Licensee of Public House)
Pharmacist
Police Officer
Post Office Official
President / Secretary of a recognised Company
Prison / Probation Officer
Salvation Army Officer
Social Worker
Solicitor
Surveyor
Teacher / Lecturer (must be contactable at their place of work during academic holidays)
Trade Union Senior Official
Travel Agent (qualified)
Valuer / Auctioneer
Vet
Warrant Officer

https://twitter.com/c_mackain/status/1590041656534831105

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 9, 2022

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

fuctifino posted:

I lived in France around the same time, also had a Carte de Sejour which I could (and did) use in lieu of a Passport, but my memory is when I needed to prove who I was an EDF or GDF bill was always sufficient. The joys of nationalized utility providers I guess.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

biglads posted:

I lived in France around the same time, also had a Carte de Sejour which I could (and did) use in lieu of a Passport, but my memory is when I needed to prove who I was an EDF or GDF bill was always sufficient. The joys of nationalized utility providers I guess.

In Egypt, other than the ID card, the one thing that truly proved your ID & address was an electricity bill in your own name. I cherished mine as a Joanna Forriner without an ID card.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Teacher / Lecturer (must be contactable at their place of work during academic holidays)

That's a really bloody stupid thing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Engineer with only a degree requirement is very LMBO.

It's just a degree, I have one. There is chartered engineer which is a whole other kettle of fish but that isn't what is specified.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 9, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Yeah that new list is definitely a bit woolly. I don't know where that tweeter got it from.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Estate agent? Sure, why don't I get this pimply school-leaver to validate this MoD Form 90, makes perfect sense!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PASS card is interesting, they're £15 every 3 years.

https://support.citizencard.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/how-much-does-a-citizencard-cost

Apparently they also do a weird digital version that costs as little as 3 quid, but it has to be issued by an employer or college.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The citizencards we were issued at 16 during year 11 were hilariously easy to carefully scratch off the last digit of the year of birth and draw a new number back in with a fine permanent marker. So we could buy alcohol of course

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Salisbury Snape posted:

The citizencards we were issued at 16 during year 11 were hilariously easy to carefully scratch off the last digit of the year of birth and draw a new number back in with a fine permanent marker. So we could buy alcohol of course

Didn't they just ask when your birthday was, not asking for any sort of proof? Pretty sure the cool kids in my year just lied and got an "official" fake ID that way. But then of course nowhere gave a gently caress about the card.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Only Kindness posted:

We've managed a couple of thousand years without "~*~*~*~ ID Cards ~*~*~*~*". We can manage a few thousand more.

It's up to you (them) to make the case, it's not up to me (us) to defend the lack of them.

Quite a few British colonies use them as part of their legacy. Turnabout is fair play.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's been so long since I got one but I didn't realise provisional driving licences cost £34.

I use my driving licence all the time to prove who I am for who needs me to and I think it lasts 10 years.

I couldn't spot driving licences or passports in that list though. Are they not valid anymore or just classed as a different kind of document?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Estate Agent

Used Car Salesperson
PPI Callcentre Operator
Person Who Tries To Sell You Sky TV In the Trafford Centre

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Glinner has been brought up a fair bit ITT recently. I knew the gist of his arseholery but hadn't gone fully down the rabbit hole. So I looked up a few interview videos where he whines about being "cancelled" and doubles down on his hateful opinions. I wouldn't recommend it as it made me loving FURIOUS.

I wish there were a stronger word than "oval office", but it'll have to do: he is a total loving oval office. I really do try to see the best in people but there is nothing there to see. I'm glad he lost his livelihood and family and I genuinely hope he dies. Preferably very slowly and painfully.

What an awful, awful excuse for a human being.

I'm sorry if that sounded a bit strong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

franco posted:

Glinner has been brought up a fair bit ITT recently. I knew the gist of his arseholery but hadn't gone fully down the rabbit hole. So I looked up a few interview videos where he whines about being "cancelled" and doubles down on his hateful opinions. I wouldn't recommend it as it made me loving FURIOUS.

I wish there were a stronger word than "oval office", but it'll have to do: he is a total loving oval office. I really do try to see the best in people but there is nothing there to see. I'm glad he lost his livelihood and family and I genuinely hope he dies. Preferably very slowly and painfully.

I wouldn't say that "glad" sounded a bit strong at all. Most of us would probably go with "ecstatic". Although personally I want him to live forever.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Kin posted:

I couldn't spot driving licences or passports in that list though. Are they not valid anymore or just classed as a different kind of document?
It's "as well as" those two. Says it at the top.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kin posted:

It's been so long since I got one but I didn't realise provisional driving licences cost £34.

I use my driving licence all the time to prove who I am for who needs me to and I think it lasts 10 years.

I get one for free every three years due to having MS. :agesilaus:

i find the rigmarole to get it is bloody annoying though... i hate paperwork.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

franco posted:

Neil Hannon and Arthur Mathews both refused to continue with the Father Ted musical unless he was exluded from it. Lol

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I just find the focus on weaponising the wider gay community against trans people to be deeply worrying. Its such an obviously contrived divide and conquer strategy and guess who the right are coming for next. They are using trans people as a wedge to roll back decades of social liberalisation back to the days when gay people had to fear for their lives if they were found out.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I think Glinner's punishment is being Glinner

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Would the solidarity fund be able to provide funds for people to get voting ID?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Engineer with only a degree requirement is very LMBO.

It's just a degree, I have one. There is chartered engineer which is a whole other kettle of fish but that isn't what is specified.
They should restrict it to iron ring wearers only. :canada:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't say that "glad" sounded a bit strong at all. Most of us would probably go with "ecstatic". Although personally I want him to live forever.

Convex posted:

Neil Hannon and Arthur Mathews both refused to continue with the Father Ted musical unless he was exluded from it. Lol

Tomberforce posted:

I just find the focus on weaponising the wider gay community against trans people to be deeply worrying. Its such an obviously contrived divide and conquer strategy and guess who the right are coming for next. They are using trans people as a wedge to roll back decades of social liberalisation back to the days when gay people had to fear for their lives if they were found out.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I think Glinner's punishment is being Glinner

A-loving-men. And I'm glad I'm not alone.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

franco posted:

he now has doubts about global warming apparently lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

he now has doubts about global warming apparently lol

Inevitable. I miss the days when you could just have your own niche bespoke brainworms , before social media demanded that you must subscribe to the entire buffet of idiotic bigotry

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
At this point I don't even know why anyone pays attention too anything Glinner does. Hes managed to completely alienate even those on the mainstream right. He might as well just be standing in speakers corner, shouting at people walking by.

Angrymog posted:

Would the solidarity fund be able to provide funds for people to get voting ID?

I think that's a very good use for the fund.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
And, this seems a bit crass after wishing death on somebody, but I'm really sorry, Maugrim. I hope you're doing okay and take care of yourself, please :love:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

At this point I don't even know why anyone pays attention too anything Glinner does. Hes managed to completely alienate even those on the mainstream right. He might as well just be standing in speakers corner, shouting at people walking by.

I think that's a very good use for the fund.

:same: for both.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

At this point I don't even know why anyone pays attention too anything Glinner does.
It's worth it to make sure he keeps away from children.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Inevitable. I miss the days when you could just have your own niche bespoke brainworms , before social media demanded that you must subscribe to the entire buffet of idiotic bigotry
Crank magnetism has been a thing since at least the days of free energy enthusiasts in the 80s saying "also I heard they made AIDS from a sheep virus and a cow virus", probably going back to the John Birch society or the anti polio serum people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Crank magnetism has been a thing since at least the days of free energy enthusiasts in the 80s saying "also I heard they made AIDS from a sheep virus and a cow virus", probably going back to the John Birch society or the anti polio serum people.

Fair. Like everything else, the tendencies were there but social media provided an accelerant. Internet makes you stupid etc , but we were always stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/status/1590264372945092609
https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/status/1590265215794679809