Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I was inspired by brush talk a few pages back to order some nice ones. I got the rebranded Rosemary Series 33s from Michigan Toy Soldier (I think Jackson was out of stock and the Rosemary site said they wouldn’t ship the good sable to the US for some reason), and I am blown away at how much better they are to paint with than random brushes from Amazon. No big surprise, I guess, but if you’re on the fence, it’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Rosemary and Co are nice, but don't buy from Michigan Toy Soldier. The owner's a creep and an abusive dick to his employees. R&C has two distributors in the US now, Wind River and Studio Pintura. I haven't used Studio Pintura, but Wind River was perfectly fine and they were cheaper than MTC anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Rosemary and Co are nice, but don't buy from Michigan Toy Soldier. The owner's a creep and an abusive dick to his employees. R&C has two distributors in the US now, Wind River and Studio Pintura. I haven't used Studio Pintura, but Wind River was perfectly fine and they were cheaper than MTC anyway.

I wish I knew this instead of ordering it from the wrong continent

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dang, I was thinking of getting into historical minis, and Michigan Toy Solider is one of the biggest suppliers of those in North America. Guess I'll go with Historex Agents from the UK.

Edit: Oh man, reading up on the owner. He got a hold of Peter Jacksons (yes, that Peter Jackson) credit card info when Jackson made a purchase from the store, and then proceeded to buy stuff for himself on Jacksons card. How monumentally stupid do you have to be to think you would get away with something like that.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 9, 2022

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang, I was thinking of getting into historical minis, and Michigan Toy Solider is one of the biggest suppliers of those in North America. Guess I'll go with Historex Agents from the UK.

Edit: Oh man, reading up on the owner. He got a hold of Peter Jacksons (yes, that Peter Jackson) credit card info when Jackson made a purchase from the store, and then proceeded to buy stuff for himself on Jacksons card. How monumentally stupid do you have to be to think you would get away with something like that.

Badger Games covers some good historics, and the folks I know that work there are pretty chill if you’re looking for historicals. They’re a distributor/sell a bunch from Bad Squiddo and are generally actually nice people. No word on brushes, though.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Painted my first mini EVER.

I learned a ton, used a few different techniques, and really want to just call out of work for the rest of the week and blow through a bunch more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks good buddy

paint more!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Captain Ironblood posted:

I learned a ton, used a few different techniques, and really want to just call out of work for the rest of the week and blow through a bunch more.

That looks freakishly good! The eyes especially are genuinely creepy!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

faster and faster getting caught up with the Imperium Magazine

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I knew this instead of ordering it from the wrong continent

I did the exact same thing, which is how I found out, for what little comfort that may be.

Hedningen posted:

Badger Games covers some good historics, and the folks I know that work there are pretty chill if you’re looking for historicals. They’re a distributor/sell a bunch from Bad Squiddo and are generally actually nice people. No word on brushes, though.

Are these folks related to the airbrush company, or just a coincidence of naming?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

grassy gnoll posted:

I did the exact same thing, which is how I found out, for what little comfort that may be.

Are these folks related to the airbrush company, or just a coincidence of naming?

Complete coincidence.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Beffer posted:

Pics please!

Next to a mostly complete version - the skeleton horde contrast just kind of washed over the model, but I think a light off-white dry brush should get it back in the neighborhood.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If my airbrush is only spraying the bottom section like this instead of the full cone what sort of issue am I looking at here? Bent needle?

I've been over it repeatedly and it's pretty clean internally with nothing blocking the paint or air flow.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Which airbrush do you have?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Badger Patriot 105

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've had similar issues with my 105, and cleaning the tip thoroughly usually fixed it. I mean that little cap at the end that unscrews. It gets clogged up and restricts flow even if it looks fine.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

First guess would be part 41003 is partially filled with material so it's blocking stuff. Also oil your needle.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

grassy gnoll posted:

Michigan Toy Soldier. The owner's a creep and an abusive dick to his employees.
Been ordering from them for years and had never heard of the Peter Jackson thing until minutes ago. Holy crap. I can't find anything on employee abuse or other creepiness, links please?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

The Demilich posted:

First guess would be part 41003 is partially filled with material so it's blocking stuff. Also oil your needle.

I went at that specifically, soaking overnight then cleaning with an interdental brush but I'll look again. Guess I'll have to cave and get some oil as well, maybe that'll help with tip drying issues I've had when priming.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This looks messed up, drat. Love how the jorts look, how did you do that?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

I went at that specifically, soaking overnight then cleaning with an interdental brush but I'll look again. Guess I'll have to cave and get some oil as well, maybe that'll help with tip drying issues I've had when priming.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-126704-Professional-Slow-Dri-Retarder/dp/B004M559I2

this helped me last time I used my airbrush

I mixed it into my airbrush solution a goon suggested with water and flow improver

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Serperoth posted:

This looks messed up, drat. Love how the jorts look, how did you do that?

Thank you! The jorts was an accident really. Just a very thin coat of mixed crystal blue + matt black thinned out, and then I just never put a second coat on when I realized that I had thinned it out so much that it looked like it had a contrast paint effect. All the highlights baked in!

I'll add more coats to my next models to practice getting a more consistent and smooth paint job, but I'm glad I experimented a bit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Thank you! The jorts was an accident really. Just a very thin coat of mixed crystal blue + matt black thinned out, and then I just never put a second coat on when I realized that I had thinned it out so much that it looked like it had a contrast paint effect. All the highlights baked in!

I'll add more coats to my next models to practice getting a more consistent and smooth paint job, but I'm glad I experimented a bit.

drat, every time I've thinned out my paint too much, it came out like a smear, not cool at all, I'm jealous.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Springfield Fatts posted:

It absolutely will in my experience

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

grassy gnoll posted:

ah, bummer. Thanks for the heads up

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Needle oil eh. Where does that go? The length of the needle? I have some but I've never used it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a single instant ink, Phoenix Egg.

it is not remotely contrast. it is 100% a glaze. Good thing I only bought the one, it's not worth it very much to me.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Needle oil eh. Where does that go? The length of the needle? I have some but I've never used it.

Miniature Painting: You've got to rub the oil all along your needle shaft

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I too would like to know about needle oil. I have a badger 105 as well that seems to catch dry tip every time I use it despite the obsessive cleaning I do.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I basically only use mine for priming and vallejo white is crusty within minutes of me starting to spray. It's a real loving annoyance that has put me off trying to do anything more complex with an airbrush. I have a .02 nozzle collecting dust because it sucks constantly wiping and backflushing.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I use Badger needle juice. It's inexpensive and works.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
How do you use it though? Pull the needle all the way out, drip a little on, smear it around, put needle back in?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I did a bomb squig and hoo boy the lips dont look as bad irl.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Aranan posted:

How do you use it though? Pull the needle all the way out, drip a little on, smear it around, put needle back in?

That's exactly what I do, just apply to the half of the needle that will be touching paint

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Working on a Deathwatch Hvy Int from the Fire Lords Chapter so I took a crack at painting tiny tattooed flames on a tiny angry head today:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

Working on a Deathwatch Hvy Int from the Fire Lords Chapter so I took a crack at painting tiny tattooed flames on a tiny angry head today:

Battle-brother Bam Bam Bigalow

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

it's like if the kenny from next level painting did a fusion dance with guy fieri

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
With so many dogshit companies in this hobby, this was nice to read :)

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I promise I won't post every single one of my poxwalkers I make as I start my mini painting journey, but here's my second one and I've definitely already improved.

At some point I should start practicing edge highlighting, wet blending, sketching etc, but I'm having a good time so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Whoops here's the front of the model.

Sorry for the double post, just very excited.