Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the guns were deliberately not supposed to be used as any sort of main weapon or something and the main usage of it was doing the cool matrix-rear end move where you kick a gun out of someone's hand, catch it mid air and shoot them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, multiple developers have talked about it. A big example is Mirror's Edge where people absolutely refused to use a gun because there was an achievement for not doing it.

It is basically the same principle as how people refused to use lethal powers in Dishonored because you could get a 'bad' ending. It comes up a lot in games with nonlethal options.

You can solve it by not doing that kind of cheevo but that just contributes to achievements being boring

Huh. I'd be surprised if the achievements themselves were the factor behind players not engaging with those things but I could be wrong.

Dishonored in particular, to its detriment, very much pushes the player in the direction that non-lethal is the "good" option. I know it's high chaos vs low chaos but come on, "darker and bleaker to the point where your daughter hates you and even the weather is more ominous" is a bad ending or at the very least an "evil" ending. 2 is better about the endings genuinely reflecting "chaos" as opposed to morality but Death of the Outsider does it best by just completely removing lethality from morality/karma/whatever.

One good example that just occurred to me though is that achievements are solid proof that only about 1/3 of players actually finish most games and I would not be at all surprised if that contributed to developers putting all their good content up front and ending games with a wet fart, so maybe you have a point!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Achievements are cool. Love to do things in video games.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Two things the Switch doesn't have, The Bible and Achievements.

This has me wondering if I can find a Bible game on one of the ebay ds flash carts I have kicking around.
Found a couple hidden gems in those, like korg ds-10

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

B33rChiller posted:

This has me wondering if I can find a Bible game on one of the ebay ds flash carts I have kicking around.
Found a couple hidden gems in those, like korg ds-10

Noah's Arc remaster when

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Indie directs are usually kind of poorly received because big-name indies get in the "real" directs but i hope there's cool poo poo

I’m just hoping they release Inscryption today, I’ve been wanting to try it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, multiple developers have talked about it. A big example is Mirror's Edge where people absolutely refused to use a gun because there was an achievement for not doing it.

It is basically the same principle as how people refused to use lethal powers in Dishonored because you could get a 'bad' ending. It comes up a lot in games with nonlethal options.

You can solve it by not doing that kind of cheevo but that just contributes to achievements being boring

That's sounds more like a problem for the devs - don't make achievements that make the game unfun to play. See also Sundered, a game about getting powers and corrupting or releasing them to make them cool and new, having a trophy where you don't do that at all.

I love trophies/achievements (mostly trophies) but a legitimate problem with them is that there are a rash of games that are released constantly that are garbage and only exist to get people who buy them achievements and nothing more. They clog up the store with poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

I love trophies/achievements (mostly trophies)
Uhhh what? Lmfao

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

there are a rash of games that are released constantly that are garbage and only exist to get people who buy them achievements and nothing more. They clog up the store with poo poo.

i don't think this is a real problem

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

That's sounds more like a problem for the devs - don't make achievements that make the game unfun to play. See also Sundered, a game about getting powers and corrupting or releasing them to make them cool and new, having a trophy where you don't do that at all.

I love trophies/achievements (mostly trophies) but a legitimate problem with them is that there are a rash of games that are released constantly that are garbage and only exist to get people who buy them achievements and nothing more. They clog up the store with poo poo.

The problem there is that nobody agrees what achievements should be and their original intended purpose was showing you completed hard or unusual challenges and with the intent of adding reasobe to replay a game rather than one and done

But since people only play games once they try to get cheevos in a single playthrough which encourages specific stuff. But if you don't do that then you end up with boring 'beat the game/beat the game harder' stuff

And that doesn't even get into multiplayer stuff

An Actual Princess posted:

That one actually is. There were a lot of lovely asset flips with names like 'easy achievements' or 'fast gamerscore' they got cracked down on but are not 100% gone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

It actually is, enough that Sony has had to figure out ways to address it. You look at PSN, for example, and sorting by new would just give you dozens of variations of 'The Jumping <thing>' or some game that was thrown together in five minutes and references the bible. There are so many of them that legitimate titles tend to get buried and suffer as a result.

ImpAtom posted:

The problem there is that nobody agrees what achievements should be and their original intended purpose was showing you completed hard or unusual challenges and with the intent of adding reasobe to replay a game rather than one and done

I agree, but by now devs need to know that if they put an achievement in a game that hobbles the player, some of the dialogue about the game is going to be about how unfun it is to be hobbled (and not about, you know, "why the heck am I doing this unfun thing for a little number to go up")

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 9, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yay nintendo direct

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sounds like non-nintendo consoles are trash then. Nintendo stays winning.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
God drat do i love the Wintendo Swintch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

"upcomilng indie games"

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Silksong will not have an announcement at an indie direct. It will be a main direct headline.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wholesome Narrative Cooking Game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

Wholesome Narrative Cooking Game

That would be epic

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That would be epic
Well you're in luck friend...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Drill Dozer 2 looks fun

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't serve cats coffee

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

hatty posted:

Drill Dozer 2 looks fun

played Drill Dozer on a DSiXL for the first time this year and it owns

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tactical metaphorical dodgeball, interesting

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the guns were deliberately not supposed to be used as any sort of main weapon or something and the main usage of it was doing the cool matrix-rear end move where you kick a gun out of someone's hand, catch it mid air and shoot them

honestly it's been so long since i played it so maybe it was cool, i just remember thinking the running and jumping stuff was cool and the combat sucked except when you were running away from enemies. and the guns were like half deflated whoopee cushions sat on by a mouse.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God this is so depressing lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah most of the hyped/big indies get actual direct slots now so the indie directs are sort of leftovers unfortunately

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rogue Legacy 2 is pretty good

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey finally something I'll actually buy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

hatty posted:

Rogue Legacy 2 is pretty good

Aw hell yeah

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Don't serve cats coffee
Weird little dudes won't touch it, even if you try. Oh, act all interested while I'm brewing a cup, get skittish at the sound of a grinder, but come purring back, rubbing up on my shins. Then act like I just hissed at you when I offer a sip.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh boy, planning a game for a Feb release is a dicey prospect

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Aw drat World of Horror

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mons Hubris posted: