Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Scoss posted:

I don't know when exactly I'm going to pull the trigger on this build, but I have had some parts selected for a while and I figure I could use some checking.

Purpose: Gaming, Photoshop (I figure anything good for gaming is also going to cover photoshop's demands)
Budget: ~$1200. In the past it's been more like $1000, but GPUs are still a bit messed up and I have begrudgingly acknowledged the reality of inflation.
Target Resolution: (Intended monitor purchase included in part list) 1440p. I would be happy if this machine could output 1440p @ 100+ FPS /w medium-high settings for competitive games, and 60 FPS for more cinematic/heavy games. I tend to ride computers into the dirt and upgrade every 5 years (it's been 7 for this one...) so if I can still manage 1440p 60fps at medium-low settings by the end of this console cycle then I will be pleased.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H610M-E D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($400.00) (Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ EVGA)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor
Total: $1094.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-08 12:03 EST-0500

Notes:

-CPU cooling: I have zero intentions of overclocking this machine, and the stock intel cooler I'm sitting next to has never been an issue. I'm open to advice here, but I will need to be convinced that it's a good idea to spend $40 on an aftermarket HSF.

-Motherboard: I don't know poo poo about what's good with motherboards. This one seems to have the socket I need, 2 NVME slots for storage, and not inexplicably cost $300. I have owned Asus mobos in the past without issue.

-Memory: My current machine has 16 GB RAM (it must have been very cheap in late 2015), and it is morally offensive to me to build a new machine with the same amount of memory, so it's gonna be 32. My general impression is that unless you have some very specific producitivity-oriented performance needs, fast memory is largely a waste of money. That said, I don't know poo poo about what's good with memory or where the sweet spot is. I've bought this brand before and the price is right.

-Storage: This will be my first M2 build and first time with no platter drive. SSD prices seem to still be steadily plunging, so I don't know if it makes sense to stretch for a 2TB boot drive here, especially when I will have a spare NVME socket to expand later when prices are lower. I am still using a HDD for a lot of things and my boot drive is a (old, tiny) SATA SSD, so practically any modern configuration will feel great for me here I'm sure. Maybe it makes more sense to have a 1TB NVME boot drive, plus a number of slightly slower, cheaper SATA SSDs?

-Case: I don't know poo poo about cases, just need something decent and functional at a fair price. I won't be posting pictures of my "battlestation".

-PSU: EVGA is a decent brand and this seemed like enough juice at a reasonable price? I don't know about PSUs.
i'd recommend the ryzen 5600 over the 12400f, it's basically equivalent in performance for both gaming and photoshop and is a bit cheaper these days overall. it's also not really true that a gpu good for gaming is good for productivity workloads like photoshop - typically productivity workloads are actually more demanding and make it more worthwhile to get a higher tier of performance, so it could be worth considering an upgrade depending on how intensive your photoshop usage is. it's not like the 5600 is a bad option though.

h610 motherboards are limiting and should be avoided - for a 12400 you'd want to get a b660 motherboard - the msi pro b660m-a is a very reasonable starting point and great value. for the 5600 you'd want to get a b550 board - the msi b550m pro-vdh wifi or msi b550-a pro are solid choices for it. they're a little more expensive than the b660 board but the 5600 being cheaper makes up for that. the asrock b550m pro4 is cheaper and acceptable for the 5600, but you could run into bios issues if you get one that's older stock and hasn't been updated so idk that you want to take that risk (it can't update the bios without having a compatible cpu) but i also don't have a clear idea of how likely that is right now.

3200mhz cl16 ram is a fine baseline (& the 12400 doesn't really support any better) but it looks like there are slightly cheaper equivalent sticks available? with the 5600 it's worth considering if you want to upgrade to 3600mhz cl16.

samsung ssds are generally overpriced compared to the competition these days. the wd blue sn570 is significantly cheaper and fairly similar in performance.

the 3060 ti will do what you want at 1440p for sure and that's a very solid monitor.

the case is old and very cheap, it's pretty poor in general. it'd really consider paying ~$25-35 more - reasonable options in that range right now include the phanteks g360a, fractal meshify 2 compact lite, fractal pop air, corsair 400d airflow and the lian li lancool 215. if you really really don't want to spend more, the montech x3 mesh has much better airflow at that price but the build quality still isn't great. even the fractal focus 2 would be a better option.

you can probably get a better psu for around that price but idk exactly which i'd recommend. i think the thermaltake tough power gf1 is supposed to be solid though? it's cheaper: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zD...pd-0650fnfagu-1

stock coolers are pretty poor these days, running loud & hot and when you can get the deepcool ak400 for $30 or one of the cheap thermalright coolers like the assassin x refined 120 se for only $20 it's absolutely worth it for the reduced noise & preventing any risk of throttling.

lih fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think I've said it before in this thread, but I've become a fan of be quiet!'s coolers, at least for AM4. I hate having to deal with removing and reseating coolers, and the be quiet! AM4 cooler (at least on the Dark Rock Slim and Pure Rock 2 that I have) only requires 2 screws to be removed and replaced if you're just popping the cooler off. I recently did a CPU upgrade and it felt luxurious just having to deal with 2 screws while the mounting bracket remained in place versus 4 and probably having to deal with reattaching the backplate. These coolers use the standard AM4 backplate, and if you attach them before putting the motherboard in a case they are super simple and straightforward. Once in place, the cooler attaches to the bracket via a crossbar that has a screw on either end, notched so you can't really put it in wrong. The only thing slightly hassly is having to remove the cooler fan(s), but even that is not too bad on these coolers.

Edit: This came in super handy on my newest build using the Pure Rock 2 - I managed to accidentally mount the cooler facing the wrong direction, and fixing that was much simpler given the above than it could have been with a different brand.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Is this deal any good? https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4524449

Pairing with a 13600k

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I see a Ryzen 5600 is about $40 cheaper than a 12400f, which could be compelling if they're truly similar performance. It seems like the 12400f and 5600 X are both available currently for about $160, is the X not worth the price bump?

I don't know much about the BIOS issue but every single b550 mobo I plugged into PCPP warned me about compatibility with those Ryzens.

And for my own curiosity, what is it specifically that makes H610 boards undesirable?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 9, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 5600 and 5600X perform within error of each other, if the difference is $40 then the non-X is the easy choice

Most B550 boards should have compatible BIOSes at this point, so long as you're buying them new and manufactured within the past couple years - there's also the newer B650 boards which should be priced pretty comparably to B550s at this point, I'd think

And the H610 boards are just very poor for performance all around - they've got anemic power delivery, only two memoy DIMMs, PCIe generational limitations, no XMP profiles for memory - they're really targeted more at office computers and other low-end applications like that

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 9, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scoss posted:

It seems like the 12400f and 5600 X are both available currently for about $160, is the X not worth the price bump?

No

quote:

I don't know much about the BIOS issue but every single b550 mobo I plugged into PCPP warned me about compatibility with those Ryzens.

That's the standard warning that's been there ever since b550 boards came out before Zen 3 CPUs, meaning they'd need a BIOS update to work with the new processors. That was 2 years ago now so it's almost certain that any b550 board you'd buy would have a more recent BIOS update to make it compatible out of the box, however, in the tiny chance that it isn't, having a board with BIOS flashback would enable you to update it yourself with just a USB stick rather than needing an older Zen 2 CPU.

quote:

And for my own curiosity, what is it specifically that makes H610 boards undesirable?

Because that's the bargain tier, most limited feature sets, poorest connectivity/VRM cooling motherboard chipset.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

H610 boards do not allow memory overclocking, which means you're stuck with slow JEDEC configurations. All of the memory speeds you see on kits of gamer-oriented memory are actually overclocked speeds, and you need overclocking support in order to get those speeds.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Scruff McGruff posted:

The FD Torrent is already on your list and is a fan favorite right now, but the new FD Pop Air might also be a good option and looks like it would fit with some space around it for air.

GN just did a "Best cases of 2022" roundup so that might help you narrow your list down. They liked both the Pop and Torrent.

Yeah, looking at my own post I've realised that the height it 45cm, not 55cm. Sorry! I could get another 10cm by hacking out the desk base and sitting the case on the floor but I'm disinclined to do so unless I have no other option. I'd looked at the GN video but they are really looking at larger cases than suit my space for the most part (they did not test the FD Torrent Nano for instance).

I love the look of the FD Torrent but the compact is too large for the space (I'd need to take the desktop off every time I needed to clean the filters) and the Nano would require me to find an mini-ITX mobo with 10gbe built in. If you know of such a mobo then this is very much back on the table. The full-size ATX PSU and 335mm GPU support are a great help. The solid/glass sides make me worried about the thermals in my desk, otherwise this would be the front-runner

The FD Pop Air is 473 tall so falls into the same category as the compact plus I prefer the look of the Torrent so I've not looked at the smaller versions.

ughhhh posted:

replace the fans in the desk with 120mm pmw fans both in a pull config and use cable extenders into your pc case so it can be controlled by your PC fan headers and chose any of the FD cases you like. Now you can technically say your desk is your PC since its all connected :buddy:

Also you dont have the FD Define 7 on the list. those are good cases and cheaper than most of your list. oops didnt notice the depth requirement.
I thought about that when I installed the AC Infinity but I like the current system, which ensures that the fans don't come on when the case volume is able to absorb the heat (i.e. when not taxing the GPU/CPU). Relocating or adding a case thermometer is beyond me.

The FD Define 7 looks great but as you say, the depth doesn't work for me. The Nano version is 361x205x399 so would work and takes a 331mm GPU but I would worry about the thermals and it's mITX only. The mini is 406x205x399 with a 331mm GPU and takes a mATX or below so is about as large as I could go in the space but I'd still worry about the thermals with those glass sides in this desk. It's not like I will be looking at the sides...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Something like the xtia xproto or xproto L could work well in there. Just have to rig up some supplemental airflow in to the cabinet. I like mine a lot although it lives outside.
That's an interesting take on the 'just build it into the desk' approach.

Current thoughts:

The Lian Li Air Mini was a front runner as it takes an ATX mobo and PSU and fits the space (384x280x400) and it will take a 362mm GPU but this Gamers Nexus review suggests that the GPU thermals are a real issue and quality control wasn't great. If anyone has any direct experience please say so.

The Cooler Master NR200 is a perfect size even if it is now an old design, has mesh sides, a 3-slot 330mm GPU clearance and very good thermals. Assuming air cooling for noise purposes on low demand use, a 158mm CPU cooler height means that Noctal NHD15, BeQuiet DarkRock4 aren't going to work but the Noctua NHu12a and Noctua NH-D12L will work. Part of me says that a mesh front would be of use (I often leave the desk door open). I am again stuck with mITX mobos. This is my current choice.

The FD Torrent Nano is a great size and looks great but I'm concerned about the lack of side mesh/airflow in my case and it's mITX only. It looks great but I won't see it in my desk anyway.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bouchehog posted:

Stupid question but I have a nighthawk R9000 which has a 10gb LAN SFP+ port. I'm looking to do a new build and I can see that a number of Z690 and Z790 boards come with on board RJ45 10gb ports (e.g.Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER). Is there any reason why I shouldn't just grab one of those boards and use a SFP+ to RJ45 converter to get my 10GB speeds? I've got two Cat 6e cables in place. (In practice I'd be limited anyway as nothing else on my network can talk that fast at present but I will be sorting that out soon as well.)

That should work, but make sure to choose a module that is compatible with your NETGEAR. Problem is the spec sheet for R9000 doesn't specify which SFP+ modules it supports. NETGEAR sells the AXM765v2 transceiver, also sold by the fs.com website, but they say it's compatible with "M4250, M4300, and M4500 Managed Switches", no mention of the R9000.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What exactly is the point of the SFP+ module? I’m not super familiar but unsure.

SFP+ is the preferred connector technology for 10gb over straight RJ45. My understanding is the significantly lower latency is the biggest reason.

SFP also provides flexibility with the cabling. Get NICs and switches with SFP+ ports and then choose the cabling that suits your situation. Copper Direct Attach Cables for few meter long runs or within a rack. For longer runs you may choose SR-mode fiber optic modules, for even longer you use LR-mode modules.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's the standard warning that's been there ever since b550 boards came out before Zen 3 CPUs, meaning they'd need a BIOS update to work with the new processors. That was 2 years ago now so it's almost certain that any b550 board you'd buy would have a more recent BIOS update to make it compatible out of the box, however, in the tiny chance that it isn't, having a board with BIOS flashback would enable you to update it yourself with just a USB stick rather than needing an older Zen 2 CPU.
the 5600 is newer than the 5600X, having only released earlier this year and it requires a more recent bios, which is why my thought is there might still be some risk, unlike with the older cpus. no idea exactly how much of a risk it is in practice though.

DoombatINC posted:

Most B550 boards should have compatible BIOSes at this point, so long as you're buying them new and manufactured within the past couple years - there's also the newer B650 boards which should be priced pretty comparably to B550s at this point, I'd think

B650 boards are for zen 4, not compatible with previous generation cpus like the 5600, and the pricing is way up from B550 boards, which is why zen 4 is pretty poor value right now.

lih fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 9, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

lih posted:

B650 boards are for zen 4, not compatible with previous generation cpus like the 5600, and the pricing is way up from B550 boards, which is why zen 4 is pretty poor value right now.

Ooohhh sorry I forgot that B650 was the first generation of AM5 and not the last generation of AM4, my brain made up something called B750 for AM5 because the new Intel chipsets are 700-range and I'm very easily mixed up :v:

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? It's a drive, but I'm considering making the trip if it's worth it.
What are you using the system for? Gaming - MSFS 2020 is probably the most demanding game I play.
What's your budget? $1500-2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p/165hz ultra, might go up to 4k in the future.

I'm looking at building a new computer because my razer laptop battery started to swell and it's getting a bit long in the tooth (it's a 2070MQ model). I'm moving around a lot in the next year, so it'll be SFF-ish. Would the 13700K be worth it over the 13600k? I would consider AMD, but it seems like their ITX boards are super expensive and end up blowing the budget.

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Inland QN322 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Nano Mini ITX Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $990.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-08 21:08 EST-0500

For the GPU, I'm looking at buying a used 3080, or maybe a 6900xt or 6950xt. I found a 3080ti FE locally listed at $600, so I might snatch that up. I would like to build this before Thanksgiving, so waiting for a 7950xtx probably isn't in the cards and that would stretch the budget.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheCobraEffect posted:

Gaming - MSFS 2020 is probably the most demanding game I play.

I kinda leaning toward the 13700k being better for your use.

Micro center had the 13700k for $355 as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Yeah, looking at my own post I've realised that the height it 45cm, not 55cm. Sorry! I could get another 10cm by hacking out the desk base and sitting the case on the floor but I'm disinclined to do so unless I have no other option. I'd looked at the GN video but they are really looking at larger cases than suit my space for the most part (they did not test the FD Torrent Nano for instance).

I love the look of the FD Torrent but the compact is too large for the space (I'd need to take the desktop off every time I needed to clean the filters) and the Nano would require me to find an mini-ITX mobo with 10gbe built in. If you know of such a mobo then this is very much back on the table. The full-size ATX PSU and 335mm GPU support are a great help. The solid/glass sides make me worried about the thermals in my desk, otherwise this would be the front-runner

The FD Pop Air is 473 tall so falls into the same category as the compact plus I prefer the look of the Torrent so I've not looked at the smaller versions.

I thought about that when I installed the AC Infinity but I like the current system, which ensures that the fans don't come on when the case volume is able to absorb the heat (i.e. when not taxing the GPU/CPU). Relocating or adding a case thermometer is beyond me.

The FD Define 7 looks great but as you say, the depth doesn't work for me. The Nano version is 361x205x399 so would work and takes a 331mm GPU but I would worry about the thermals and it's mITX only. The mini is 406x205x399 with a 331mm GPU and takes a mATX or below so is about as large as I could go in the space but I'd still worry about the thermals with those glass sides in this desk. It's not like I will be looking at the sides...

That's an interesting take on the 'just build it into the desk' approach.

Current thoughts:

The Lian Li Air Mini was a front runner as it takes an ATX mobo and PSU and fits the space (384x280x400) and it will take a 362mm GPU but this Gamers Nexus review suggests that the GPU thermals are a real issue and quality control wasn't great. If anyone has any direct experience please say so.

The Cooler Master NR200 is a perfect size even if it is now an old design, has mesh sides, a 3-slot 330mm GPU clearance and very good thermals. Assuming air cooling for noise purposes on low demand use, a 158mm CPU cooler height means that Noctal NHD15, BeQuiet DarkRock4 aren't going to work but the Noctua NHu12a and Noctua NH-D12L will work. Part of me says that a mesh front would be of use (I often leave the desk door open). I am again stuck with mITX mobos. This is my current choice.

The FD Torrent Nano is a great size and looks great but I'm concerned about the lack of side mesh/airflow in my case and it's mITX only. It looks great but I won't see it in my desk anyway.

Why so set on mesh side panels?

99% of cases don’t have mesh side panels because they provide minimal benefit. In fact, in a lot of ways they can be detrimental because they’ll leak cool air pulled in from the front that could get all the way to the back of the case otherwise.

For you, mesh panels are especially useless as they’ll be pressed against the sides of the desk cabinet, so there will be no room for them to pull in or exhaust out enough air to make them work it.

The torrent is an absolutely excellent case. The Xproto recommended to you is exactly what I’d do though with your situation, but if that’s a little wacky for you the torrent would be my next bet.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I have a question which I know will be dumb, but here goes. Bear with me.

A family member is giving me back an FX-6300 box I loaned them so long ago I’d forgotten about it. It’s not horrid - EVGA 450W power supply I installed myself, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and an Asus M5A97 motherboard with UEFI - aside from some old Terascale Radeon I threw in there for office work. Upgrading that would probably be insane, but if I were to explore new vistas in CPU-hobbled gaming, how dreadful a bottleneck would that be for an RX 6600 or RTX 3050?

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Does anyone know of a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX boards which does 10gb ethernet without needing to rely upon usb-C or PCI-e? I know that some of the ATX boards do this but I can't find a case which would support an ATX mobo in a small form factor which can cope with poorish airflow from the space it's in.

I have found a bunch of m-ATX and ITX mobos filtering for LG1700, m-ATX, m-ITX but I only get 2.5gbe models

The one saving grace might be the ASRock Z790 M Wifi which has both a 2.5gbe and a 1gbe port which I hope and assume I could use in aggregate with my router's aggregate port (i.e. I would have 2gbe speeds, my router not currently supporting 2.5gbe; if I can find a router which supports 2.5gbe then I could presumably get this up to 3.5gbe). The manual is no use in telling me how this would work in practice so I am assuming that it works this way and isn't limited to access to a LAN so that the computer acts a firewall for the network? The mobo only has one PCIe slot (5.0 x16 which can be split into two x8 lanes but that would be madness with a GPU!) so I will never get 10gbe this way.

The other option would be to go for a mobo with more than one PCIe slot. The difficulty here as I understand it is that the PCIe x16 gen 5 slots into which you fit the GPU are usually at the top and so a three-slot GPU would prevent access to the lower PCIe slots unless I could use a riser and have a 10bge PCI card floating somewhere else in the case.....

All guidance appreciated!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Does anyone know of a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX boards which does 10gb ethernet without needing to rely upon usb-C or PCI-e? I know that some of the ATX boards do this but I can't find a case which would support an ATX mobo in a small form factor which can cope with poorish airflow from the space it's in.

I have found a bunch of m-ATX and ITX mobos filtering for LG1700, m-ATX, m-ITX but I only get 2.5gbe models

The one saving grace might be the ASRock Z790 M Wifi which has both a 2.5gbe and a 1gbe port which I hope and assume I could use in aggregate with my router's aggregate port (i.e. I would have 2gbe speeds, my router not currently supporting 2.5gbe; if I can find a router which supports 2.5gbe then I could presumably get this up to 3.5gbe). The manual is no use in telling me how this would work in practice so I am assuming that it works this way and isn't limited to access to a LAN so that the computer acts a firewall for the network? The mobo only has one PCIe slot (5.0 x16 which can be split into two x8 lanes but that would be madness with a GPU!) so I will never get 10gbe this way.

The other option would be to go for a mobo with more than one PCIe slot. The difficulty here as I understand it is that the PCIe x16 gen 5 slots into which you fit the GPU are usually at the top and so a three-slot GPU would prevent access to the lower PCIe slots unless I could use a riser and have a 10bge PCI card floating somewhere else in the case.....

All guidance appreciated!

riser cable.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

My understanding is that 10gbe cards run on PCIe x8. I am not aware of any ITX mobos with a PCIe 5.0 x16 and another PCIe slot of at least x8.

Some of the mATX boards would work as they have two PCIe x16 slots (one being 5.0, the other not but that shouldn't matter as I understand it). That would mean finding a case which would fit in the space and support mATX. At present the only case I have found which fits the bill is the Lian Li O11 Air Mini.

[Edit] Although looking at the 011 Air Mini, it has 7 case slots for cards so the 10gbe card could float over to one of those slots.

The manual also suggests that I can cram an ATX board in there, which does open up the prospect of getting an ATX board with 10gbe. The ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI and the Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULAdoes just that, although it's expensive and I don't know how well the mobo would pair with an effectively gaming build.

Bouchehog fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 9, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think you could squeeze a three-slot card into mATX and leave the bottom PCIe slot open?

It would need to be a board where the GPU slot is in the highest position like this though

and not like this

and the bottom slot would need to be wired for PCIe x4 to get full bandwidth out of a 10gbit card

edit: but yeah if the O11 Air Mini fits the bill it would be simpler to just go full ATX with onboard 10gig or plenty of clearance for a 10gig card

Bouchehog posted:

My understanding is that 10gbe cards run on PCIe x8.

Single 10gbit cards can run on x4

e.g. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/tx401/

There's double ones that need x8 though

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 9, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hasturtium posted:

A family member is giving me back an FX-6300 box I loaned them so long ago I’d forgotten about it. It’s not horrid - EVGA 450W power supply I installed myself, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and an Asus M5A97 motherboard with UEFI - aside from some old Terascale Radeon I threw in there for office work. Upgrading that would probably be insane, but if I were to explore new vistas in CPU-hobbled gaming, how dreadful a bottleneck would that be for an RX 6600 or RTX 3050?

I was running a 1060 on a FX-6300 for a while and when I eventually upgraded to a 3600 it was like a whole new computer. I wouldn’t want to throw a current GPU into a box with one of those.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why so set on mesh side panels?

99% of cases don’t have mesh side panels because they provide minimal benefit. In fact, in a lot of ways they can be detrimental because they’ll leak cool air pulled in from the front that could get all the way to the back of the case otherwise.

For you, mesh panels are especially useless as they’ll be pressed against the sides of the desk cabinet, so there will be no room for them to pull in or exhaust out enough air to make them work it.

The torrent is an absolutely excellent case. The Xproto recommended to you is exactly what I’d do though with your situation, but if that’s a little wacky for you the torrent would be my next bet.

Because of the space it's going into:

The airflow at present is limited to the two 120mm fans you can see in the picture, controlled by an AC Infinity unit. I may well add some additional fans to draw air in from the back of the volume. My gut (and it is only that so feel free to disabuse me!) is that I am better off with as much mesh as I can get, particularly on the two sides.

The Xproto is now on my shortlist but:
  • it's very tall, leaving just 7.5cm to the top of the door-space and 12.5cm above it to the drawer above. That feels fiddly when the controls and case IO are on the top.
  • it's an open build and I have on more than one occasion dropped water on my desk, which dripped down to the cupboard below. Having everything exposed gives me much less wriggle room if I do something stupid like that again.
  • I have two children under 5 who, whilst they should not be in my study, do have a habit of opening cupboards and will poke at it if they can. That seems like a bad idea.
  • This Optimum Tech review rates it but points out that it will get very dusty over time.
  • The version which takes a 3-slot GPU isn't available until 28th November.
None of these are deal breakers per se and it's a great solution if I can get my head around an open case.

I'm currently struggling to decide between the Lian Li O11 Air Mini, which would open up mATX and ATX mobos or the NR200 / Torrent Nano / Xproto for ITX builds. It saddens me greatly that the Torrent compact won't work in my space. The lack of 10gbe on ITX and the lack of any ITX boards which allow me to float a 10gbe card via a riser are all strongly pointing to something that supports mATX (for a spare PCIe x8 with a riser) or ATX (for native support or just a PCI card).

Saukkis posted:

That should work, but make sure to choose a module that is compatible with your NETGEAR. Problem is the spec sheet for R9000 doesn't specify which SFP+ modules it supports. NETGEAR sells the AXM765v2 transceiver, also sold by the fs.com website, but they say it's compatible with "M4250, M4300, and M4500 Managed Switches", no mention of the R9000.

SFP+ is the preferred connector technology for 10gb over straight RJ45. My understanding is the significantly lower latency is the biggest reason.

SFP also provides flexibility with the cabling. Get NICs and switches with SFP+ ports and then choose the cabling that suits your situation. Copper Direct Attach Cables for few meter long runs or within a rack. For longer runs you may choose SR-mode fiber optic modules, for even longer you use LR-mode modules.
That's really helpful, thank you. It may be a forlorn hope but I will contact NETGEAR and see what the say.

repiv posted:

I think you could squeeze a three-slot card into mATX and leave the bottom PCIe slot open?

It would need to be a board where the GPU slot is in the highest position [...]

and the bottom slot would need to be wired for PCIe x4 to get full bandwidth out of a 10gbit card

edit: but yeah if the O11 Air Mini fits the bill it would be simpler to just go full ATX with onboard 10gig or plenty of clearance for a 10gig card

Single 10gbit cards can run on x4

e.g. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/tx401/

There's double ones that need x8 though
I think that you've just resolved the question for me. It will have to be the O11 Air Mini or something virtually identical that supports mATX or ATX and fits the space.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Hasturtium posted:

That motherboard only has PCIe 2.0 x16, limiting the GPU's bandwidth to 16 GBps. A RTX 3050 was intended to run on PCIe 3.0 x8 so it should be fine as I understand it. The CPU does seem very underpowered (to my inexpert eye) but whether it will noticeably hobble the game will depend on what you're playing. You could also look at upgrading the CPU to a second-hand AMD FX-8370 maybe? Someone more expert than me will no doubt chime in. Either way it would be a considerable upgrade.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bouchehog posted:

That motherboard only has PCIe 2.0 x16, limiting the GPU's bandwidth to 16 GBps. A RTX 3050 was intended to run on PCIe 3.0 x8 so it should be fine as I understand it. The CPU does seem very underpowered (to my inexpert eye) but whether it will noticeably hobble the game will depend on what you're playing. You could also look at upgrading the CPU to a second-hand AMD FX-8370 maybe? Someone more expert than me will no doubt chime in. Either way it would be a considerable upgrade.

With a little more digging it looks like the RTX 3050's a native PCIe 4.0 x8 card. Shunting it to 2.0 could knock 7-10% off of maximum numbers. However, with the CPU bottlenecking it, that might not matter materially. The per-thread wouldn't get a big jump moving to an 8000 series chip - Piledriver is what it is - but a linear multithreading speed bump of a third wouldn't be something to sneeze at, and an FX-8320e would probably set me back $30 on the secondhand market. I'd prefer not to jump to a beefy boy 125W part, and don't recall if the OEM variant of the Asus motherboard in the machine would let me get in and fiddle with undervolting to compensate for the default "slam it with voltage" AMD yield maximization philosophy of the time.

Thanks for the input. I'd be happy for more thoughts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The xprotos are perfectly happy on their side if it fits that way. You don’t have to have the long dimension be vertical. This could also position your ports more conveniently at the back of the box. You should buy custom PSU cables if you go with an xproto.

The only limitation to my knowledge is GPU length not width. You could put a ten slot wide GPU in there - it just would protrude beyond the boundaries of the frame.

If you’re worried about things spilling you could always put a little roof over it using plexiglass or something similar at the top of the space. It does get a little dusty, but I don’t think it’s much worse than a closed case in my environment. I use a little air blower on it maybe once every month or two. Takes 30 seconds. Might take you longer since it’s in a cave.

Don’t know what to do about kids. Latch the cupboard maybe? They can’t really do much to the components in an open case but it is certainly more enticing than a black cube.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Bouchehog posted:

So no go on the milk crate idea?

ughhhh posted:

Even better would be just a milk crate

total height with the mobo + Noctua D15 ontop of the milkcrate would be around 50cm. Even the a 4090 fe shorter once slotted into pcie slot compared to a D15. A standard milk crate is 13"W x 13"H x 11"L so you can place a full sized atx board on it. You can place the PSU and hdd inside the upside down milk crate and use zipties to hold everything in place and its got great ventilation and holes to route all your wires.

pros:
-cheap
-modular and compatible with everything
-great airflow
-the milk crate is non-conductive!
-easy to build on
-easy to connected the fans on the desk onto the mobo since there is no case!
-your desk becomes the PC case

cons:
-USE BY OTHER THAN REGISTERED OWNER PUNISHABLE BY LAW

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bouchehog posted:

all strongly pointing to something that supports mATX (for a spare PCIe x8 with a riser) or ATX (for native support or just a PCI card).

Anther thing to keep in mind is that using a PCI card gives you the option of using SFP+ on the PC side too, which is potentially cheaper than 10gig-over-RJ45

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? No :(
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting? General web and office use. The system will be used primarily for Plex, and I would like to be able to begin serving 2-3 remote users concurrently, comfortably. Storage is important, upwards of 10TB would be nice. Some light gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to stay around $1,200 with $1,500 at the very high range.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get. Some light gaming: Id like to be able to run current gen stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 but doesn't need to be anywhere near high spec. vid
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? No professional work. Very basic office suite work and some modelling software for the occasional 3d print hobby.

This is what I'm currently working with:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

I'd love to take advantage of any Black Friday sales, so maybe some builds or ideas to watch for.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

ughhhh posted:

So no go on the milk crate idea?
I couldn't possibly. My old man used to make plastic milk crates and he'd be enraged at the mere suggestion of defiling it with electronics. How very dare you.

repiv posted:

Anther thing to keep in mind is that using a PCI card gives you the option of using SFP+ on the PC side too, which is potentially cheaper than 10gig-over-RJ45
Good idea but routing the cables under the floor was a real pain and I already have two Cat 6e cables in place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The xprotos are perfectly happy on their side if it fits that way. You don’t have to have the long dimension be vertical. This could also position your ports more conveniently at the back of the box. You should buy custom PSU cables if you go with an xproto.
I hadn't actually considered that and will do so. Building a roof seems a touch OTT simply to use the case but it does look cool...

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Quick question: I've just upgraded to a 3090 Ti (ASUS ROG Strix LC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti OC Edition) and right after installing it, I noticed a very worrying buzzing, almost grinding sound coming from the card whenever I start a game.

Something that I find odd is that it doesn't happen when running stress tests (Aida64 with GPU or Furmark) but it happens in every game I've tried. I can 100% confirm that it's not anything stuck in a fan; it really sounds like it's coming from inside the card. Maybe the pump?

It's not super obvious but I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkr1xNrSBc0

I'm 99% sure I'll have to exchange it but if anyone has any idea I'm all ears!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CordlessPen posted:

Quick question: I've just upgraded to a 3090 Ti (ASUS ROG Strix LC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti OC Edition) and right after installing it, I noticed a very worrying buzzing, almost grinding sound coming from the card whenever I start a game.

Coil whine. Look it up for mitigating strategies. It isn't a defect.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Holy poo poo, really? I knew the term but I've never had it be such a problem before so I never really looked into it. Is it so much louder because of the power draw?

Googling a bit it seems that cards can be "broken in" after a while, I might try that because as it is it's annoyingly loud.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the 6800XT I got yesterday does the exact same thing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Because of the space it's going into:

The airflow at present is limited to the two 120mm fans you can see in the picture, controlled by an AC Infinity unit. I may well add some additional fans to draw air in from the back of the volume. My gut (and it is only that so feel free to disabuse me!) is that I am better off with as much mesh as I can get, particularly on the two sides.

The Xproto is now on my shortlist but:
  • it's very tall, leaving just 7.5cm to the top of the door-space and 12.5cm above it to the drawer above. That feels fiddly when the controls and case IO are on the top.
  • it's an open build and I have on more than one occasion dropped water on my desk, which dripped down to the cupboard below. Having everything exposed gives me much less wriggle room if I do something stupid like that again.
  • I have two children under 5 who, whilst they should not be in my study, do have a habit of opening cupboards and will poke at it if they can. That seems like a bad idea.
  • This Optimum Tech review rates it but points out that it will get very dusty over time.
  • The version which takes a 3-slot GPU isn't available until 28th November.
None of these are deal breakers per se and it's a great solution if I can get my head around an open case.

I'm currently struggling to decide between the Lian Li O11 Air Mini, which would open up mATX and ATX mobos or the NR200 / Torrent Nano / Xproto for ITX builds. It saddens me greatly that the Torrent compact won't work in my space. The lack of 10gbe on ITX and the lack of any ITX boards which allow me to float a 10gbe card via a riser are all strongly pointing to something that supports mATX (for a spare PCIe x8 with a riser) or ATX (for native support or just a PCI card).

That's really helpful, thank you. It may be a forlorn hope but I will contact NETGEAR and see what the say.

I think that you've just resolved the question for me. It will have to be the O11 Air Mini or something virtually identical that supports mATX or ATX and fits the space.

Are both of those fans intake? If you put the components in you plan to into a traditional case, they are going to absolutely cook with that air pattern. Cooling a PC is an exercise in moving heated air out of a space and replacing it with cooler air along a preset path.

You have plans for extremely spicy components. And in order to cool them, you need to very quickly replace the hot air they generate with fresh cool air.

What this will look like, assuming you when with the Lian Li is…

- CPU/GPU generate hot air, which is dumped into the enclosed cabinet via the case exhaust.

- ambient temp in cabinet will raise, as there is no path to remove the hot air. While the hot air will slowly leak out the gaping hole in the back, so will some of the cool air you’re taking in via the fans on the sides of the cabinet. Even with mesh side panels, you would need those mesh panels on both sides of the case to be physically touching the fans that are mounted onto the cabinet.

- because the ambient temp in the cabinet is rising, the air pulled into the case (and over the components) will be significantly warmer as the ambient of the cabinet is warmer. The case can only pull in warm cabinet air because the fans in the case can only pull the air directly in front of it. This is why case fans need to sit as close to the walls of the case as possible. The deeper in the case they sit, the less effective they are as they can’t access the cool air outside the case.

- This will compound until you hit a throttle point. This may not be a current issue with your current build, but your planned components have significantly more heat load.

Realistically, now that I’ve seen an image and have a better understanding, the only way you’re not gonna have a bad time here is if you use something like the xproto, seal off the back of the cabinet, add one new fan on each side of the cabinet, and run them intake on one side, exhaust on the other.

If you wanna be really crazy you could custom loop and run the radiators outside of the cabinet, but that’s way more complicated.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I bought a great 4K 120Hz monitor that has me chomping for an upgrade to a 4-series GPU from my current 3070. Trying to figure out if I want to also upgrade CPU.

I'm still on a 2018-era i5-9600K. How big of an upgrade would it be to go to something like a 13600K?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I thought about suggesting an xproto with custom loop out to some back side radiators but dismissed it as being a bit much. You could totally do it and I think you should. The 120s will be fine to cool the mobo and ancillaries, and you can dump a bunch of heat out the back on a big radiator or set of radiators. You might even be able to get away with two AIOs if you don't want to go full boat on custom loop.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

I finally decided it's time to move on from my trusty Kaby Lake/1070 combo that has served me well for years.

What country are you in?
USA
Do you live near Microcenter?
Yes
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Games - DCS/MSFS being the most demanding.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
~2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
Currently on 1440/60 but will be picking up a 4k/144 in the near future and would like to be pretty close to ultra even then.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
N/A

Notes:
- Going to wait till the new AMDs are out/reviewed/benchmarked to make a final call on the GPU, but will likely go with the 7900XTX.

- No intention of overclocking, is just looks that z790 option could be best value option?

- I know the Louqe has it's shortcomings, but I really liked its look and coming from a Node 202 I really wanted to keep the case small and vertical. From what I've read the thermal issues are managable and the price was right with the recent sale.

- I know the WD SN750 is well liked, but I'm seeing the Black and 980 going for the same price when it comes to PCIe 4?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.93 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790M-ITX WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - Download 64-bit (Purchased For $20.00)
Case Fan: Noctua Ax25 chromax 60.09 CFM 120 mm Fan ($32.90 @ Amazon)
Custom: LOUQE RAW S1 (Purchased For $159.00)
Total: $1328.80

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d spend the extra $55 on a 13700k personally.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I've been sitting on earlier recommendations, since I don't have a strict time frame to buy. Curious to see how the new AMD GPU's get reviewed before making any decisions. Also have been considering waiting until CES to see the new AMD 3D CPUs, since the main purpose of the machine would be gaming and light productivity. That said, I want to ask about AIOs vs air cooling. Earlier I was looking at builds that would use, say, a Liquid Freezer 420 in the top spot of a Meshify case. But would a Fractal Torrent case with a cooler like the Noctura DH-15 (I read they are supposed to be releasing a new version early next year?) or a be quiet Dark Pro 4 be able to keep up with a 13700k and a modern GPU? The price difference isn't that much, but air cooling seems to be a bit simpler (and no risk of leaks inside the case, maybe this is a misplaced concern?) and I sort of like the look of the Torrent case better (plus, it gets great reviews).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

Holy poo poo, really? I knew the term but I've never had it be such a problem before so I never really looked into it. Is it so much louder because of the power draw?

Googling a bit it seems that cards can be "broken in" after a while, I might try that because as it is it's annoyingly loud.

It happens most often under specific load patterns, like game menus and splash screens that display at hundreds of frames per second. My 4090 was doing it for a while but it's a lot less noticeable now.

Also, no offense, but I really hope you didn't pay the price you linked for that GPU, considering you can get a 4090 that's ~65% faster for the same price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’d spend the extra $55 on a 13700k personally.

Yeah especially for flight sims which require quite a bit of CPU power.