Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Propaganda works. Give it a few months of Tucker Carlson vomiting out hatred-based talking points with AM radio spreading the gospel and half the country will be smugly talking about tax dollars and crime here meaning we have to help ourselves first and besides I heard it's all Nazis in Ukraine anyway do you support Nazis now stupid cuck lib?

Tucker has been running this messaging for the whole duration of the war already and it hasn’t shifted the views of the GOP who weren’t already hopeless Putin stans already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The MIC will always have a very vested interest in keeping aid going to Ukraine for obvious reasons. Both because eventually you'll get your money back, the sending of stockpiled supplies means more will have to be manufacture AND blowing up Russian military hardware is great advertising for US military hardware.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I couldn’t be happier about this — no one will confusingly call the western side of the Dnipro “the right bank” anymore!

(Presumably it flows north to south?)

It does flow North to South like everybody else is saying. The reasoning for referring to areas as left or right bank is really a matter of convention. For any population living near a major river, it is common to use the river as a general reference for location, especially in a rural setting where there's few landmarks. I have referenced places as left or right bank myself when I lived near a major river for a number of years. I'm not 100% sure why, but the left and right bank are always based on when you are looking downstream. This is true in Europe and North America.

I'd like to guess it's because people historically travelled downstream more before rivers were commonly dammed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RockWhisperer posted:

It does flow North to South like everybody else is saying. The reasoning for referring to areas as left or right bank is really a matter of convention. For any population living near a major river, it is common to use the river as a general reference for location, especially in a rural setting where there's few landmarks. I have referenced places as left or right bank myself when I lived near a major river for a number of years. I'm not 100% sure why, but the left and right bank are always based on when you are looking downstream. This is true in Europe and North America.

I'd like to guess it's because people historically travelled downstream more before rivers were commonly dammed.

Rivers also meander around and saying N/E/S/W bank changes which side you're referring to depending on where you are. L/R bank is invariant over the entire length of the river.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

RockWhisperer posted:

A fair number of people still say things like "Upper Nile" and "Lower Nile" which actually means "Southern" and "Northern" respectively. It's far more common in places that were mapped/settled prior to the advent of railroads.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Pook Good Mook posted:

A fair number of people still say things like "Upper Nile" and "Lower Nile" which actually means "Southern" and "Northern" respectively. It's far more common in places that were mapped/settled prior to the advent of railroads.

Have "upper" and "lower" been used otherwise after the advent of railroads?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/09/russians-destroy-dnieper-bridges-to-slow-ukraine-advance-on-kherson

I hadn't been paying close attention to the Inhulets area thinking activities had largely been shut down but the Guardian says bridges across the Russian held portions of the river were dropped on Wednesday.

quote:

The destruction of the bridges, however, suggested that Russian forces were preparing to abandon the positions that they occupied on western side of the Dnipro River.

Ukrainian officials and local residents said that at least four bridges had been blown up on Wednesday to slow the Ukrainian advance. Among these was the Dariivka Bridge, the only crossing across the Inhulets river in the Russian-occupied western-bank part of Kherson oblast.

The Inhulets divides the occupied area into two, with the city of Kherson in the western part and Beryslav in the east.

Images posted on social media also showed two bridges over the canal in Snihurivka had collapsed. Snihurivika has been a key Russian position, anchoring its defences outside Kherson.

More signs that the Russians don't intend to stay as those bridges serve Russian units still defending parts of Kherson on the far side of the Inhulets.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Groda posted:

Have "upper" and "lower" been used otherwise after the advent of railroads?

Just upper and downer.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

redbrouw posted:

Just upper and downer.

Hence the "Upper Pennisula."

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ditto in Canada. As a kid I was always confused why the southern-most part of the country used to be called "Upper Canada". It's up the Saint-Lawrence river, so what is now Quebec was downstream and thus "Lower Canada" once the Brit's took it

The left-bank/right-bank did take a moment to get used to but it makes a lot of sense once you think about it. Thanks to Tim Snyder for explaining this like a month ago.

Closer to the topic, Ukraine has all the reason to be extremely cautious, but I'd say the retreat is real and the Russian's hiding around the city are just there to cover the retreat in the safest way possible. It would really suck if it's a false retreat and they want to force Ukraine into crawling urban warfare, I certainly wouldn't put it past them. But announcing a retreat publicly seems more dangerous to Putin's regime than fighting in Kherson to the last man, so I'm guessing it's real because it seems dumb to lie here.

Also even if the order was to stay and make the city a giant Trojan horse, I wouldn't trust the troops to actually know that. If the troops see a bunch of their guys dropping uniforms and disappearing into the woodwork I imagine a bunch of them will take the chance to go AWOL or surrender.

EDIT: trenching in Crimea:
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1590405121808400384?s=20&t=Mx_lIQ4BmLIRaCrQNZLqeA

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 9, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1590438685748514816

Russian source have for their part uploaded footage of the evacuations

https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1590416693779922944

https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1590441610671972352

It seems believable that they are in fact withdrawing, and Ukraine is being understandably hesitant to avoid a trap especially with how much the withdrawal has been announced compared to Kharkiv. That said, they are losing their chance to decisively defeat Russian forces by allowing them across the river. It's also possible that Ukraine is absolutely currently pushing but just not announcing it.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What if Russians really withdraw but Ukraine never captures Kherson, thinking it's a trap? Would Kherson become a libertarian paradise? :thunk:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OddObserver posted:

... did they decide to do it when everyone is paying attention to US elections? Hmm, probably not since it will take a number of days to play out.

They've already been withdrawing some of their better units for as much as a month now and rotating in mobiks to hold the line along with a couple of remaining good units. Basically partial withdrawal has been underway for a while, but now we appear to be seeing full withdrawal now that political considerations are not arbitrarily superseding military considerations.

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1590438685748514816

Russian source have for their part uploaded footage of the evacuations

https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1590416693779922944

https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1590441610671972352

It seems believable that they are in fact withdrawing, and Ukraine is being understandably hesitant to avoid a trap especially with how much the withdrawal has been announced compared to Kharkiv. That said, they are losing their chance to decisively defeat Russian forces by allowing them across the river. It's also possible that Ukraine is absolutely currently pushing but just not announcing it.

Ukraine does not, pretty much as a categorical thing, talk about anything that they're currently doing. embargo on such info tends to be as much as two weeks for obvious reasons. We'll hear what is happening the same way that info normally filters out.

With that said, Ukraine has basically been heavily shelling the crossings for weeks now and nothing about the current situation seems likely to have changed that reality.

Also the entire right bank is likely one of the most densely mined areas in the world, which is not going to speed anything up. Conversely, the ability to get materiel across the river is mostly limited to a handful of barges mostly making a couple of crossings and hour. Time is everything, but this is probably going to be somewhat in slow motion compared to when Russian forces could just drive all the way out in the middle of the night

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 10, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukraine does not, pretty much as a categorical thing, talk about anything that they're currently doing. embargo on such info tends to be as much as two weeks for obvious reasons. We'll hear what is happening the same way that info normally filters out.

remember when UA soldiers were posting photos by every city sign as soon as they arrived, during the kharkiv offensive? You're right about the Official accounts, but I think we'll know pretty immediately if AFU is moving in Kherson.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

remember when UA soldiers were posting photos by every city sign as soon as they arrived, during the kharkiv offensive? You're right about the Official accounts, but I think we'll know pretty immediately if AFU is moving in Kherson.

fyi those were mostly coming out a full day or two after the fact

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I will say, it's pretty funny that trust in Russia has gotten to the point where when they openly say they're eating poo poo and intend to retreat, people don't believe them despite "eating poo poo and retreating" having been a thing they've been doing for a while now, and in fact a specific thing they were accused of doing earlier when they were claiming that they were holding firm and there were no problems, and despite the specific circumstances in which they're retreating having been predicted repeatedly earlier.

I mean, yeah, some caution is warranted all things considered but we seem to have gotten to the point where if Putin says the sun rises in the east, everyone peers suspiciously to the west come daybreak.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

There is little lost by being cautious if you've already given up on attempting to trap the enemy

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

What if Russians really withdraw but Ukraine never captures Kherson, thinking it's a trap? Would Kherson become a libertarian paradise? :thunk:

A free territory in southern Ukraine you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_T7bD4pAlE

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I suspect when the front on the right bank of Dnipro closes, we’ll see casualties go up on both sides, as there’s going to be just a steppe left to fight, between Donetsk and Enerhodar.

Foggy Albion? Someone’s on a real bender, sheesh. This is like 3rd echelon of unnecessarily witty phrases.

FishBulbia posted:

I think they already began leaving days if not weeks ago

Pure physics of how many non-students you can fit in a car would dictate that.

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there even a sense of how many Russian troops are still across the river? You would imagine this sort of announcement coming out if the troops are already gone but I thought Ukrainian forces were still facing resistance in that area and they were still in the outskirts and surrounding villages.

I had the sense that if Russians were still defending positions that complete evacuation would still take a few days?

I think “still” makes it impossible to answer the question, as there has been blackout for weeks. Your best bet would probably be to measure the active frontline on the map, and then figure out how many people would have to be there based on some doctrinal rifles per kilometre math.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Amazing to see the withdrawal from Kherson finally happening.

I couldn’t be happier about this — no one will confusingly call the western side of the Dnipro “the right bank” anymore!

(Presumably it flows north to south?)

To the earlier post about Ukrainians capturing 500 Russian tanks, here’s a video of one of the repair stations in action -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLzSU0Ayic

“Right bank” and “left bank” is relative to the direction of the flow of the river. While the nation did mobilise against the threat of the invasion, their rivers aren’t quite flooding Russian mountains yet, so the right bank of Dnipro refers to the shoreline the Kherson city stands on.

Nenonen posted:

Bitcoin is going take any chances it has this week.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aren't there a significant number of partisans in Kherson? They should be able to get the word to the Ukrainians if the Russians have actually left.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bitcoin is going take any chances it has this week.

I'll take a 6er for this if I have to, but sensible rear end chuckle.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'll take a 6er for this if I have to, but sensible rear end chuckle.

same, for av post combo

(this thread is my poo poo y'all keep it up with actual content I deserve the probe because I got nothing to add)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Foggy Albion? Someone’s on a real bender, sheesh. This is like 3rd echelon of unnecessarily witty phrases.

I think it's the best he could mobilise.

Rushing into a heavily mined urban area to pursue a retreating army is a great way to take lots and lots of casualties. I wouldn't expect much to happen in Kherson, urban terrain just isn't made for decisive pushes.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
While the 'voluntary' withdraw from Kherson will benefit Russian logistics and abilities to defend on their side of the Dnipro, here are a couple points on why it is major accomplishment for Ukraine going into the winter.

Moral for many Russian units will most likely not improve, and that will only be exacerbated by winter conditions.

This does give the Russians time and space to further fortify their positions, however the influx of precision weapons and drones from NATO will negate the usefullness of said defensive positions. Have we seen these smaller drones equiped thermal imaging? Because dropping a grenade down every hot stove pipe is going to make for a miserable time on the front.

We have seen the Ukrainians capable of maneuver warfare, winter conditions will hamper this, but it can be done if the winter is cold enough and minimal snow. I think if those good conditions do occur it is highly probable the Ukrainians perform major offensive operations in the winter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russian newspapers on the retreat:

https://twitter.com/bbcstever/status/1590600147808841731

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd assume morale would actually improve for most soldiers that end up defending a wide river with short logistical line to Crimea instead of having to defend the urban area full of hostile civillians and having that river on your back. Also for people that did man the defense line orderly retreat means they can loot whatever's left and is portable enough to move.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

alex314 posted:

I'd assume morale would actually improve for most soldiers that end up defending a wide river with short logistical line to Crimea instead of having to defend the urban area full of hostile civillians and having that river on your back. Also for people that did man the defense line orderly retreat means they can loot whatever's left and is portable enough to move.

Most of the Kherson defenders would presumably be sent to some hot front section and the defense of Dnipro estuary relegated to fresh mobniks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It does indeed seem like some sort of trap, on other hand I trust Zaluzhny, he outplayed russians on every turn so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Given Russias difficulties retreating from Kherson has been the smart play for months now.

Making it look like an ambush is also the smart play.

This would be two smart plays in a row from Russia so that might be the scariest aspect of this. It represents a major change in their strategy.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

US General Milley says war has killed or injured 200,000 military personnel total (on both sides), with an even split, and that around 40,000 civilians have died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63580372

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 10, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This would be two smart plays in a row from Russia so that might be the scariest aspect of this. It represents a major change in their strategy.

As broadly kleptocratic and incompetent as Putin's Russia is, there are still some quite competent people within the Russian military, and combat is a particularly good way of separating the wheat from the chaff. You'd expect their strategic and operational performance to get better over time. They started from such a low base that it would be very difficult for this to not be the case.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The old never as strong, never as weak holds true. Russia absolutely failed again and again militarily, yet Putin's regime showed remarkable resilience and the military is still somehow functioning.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

US General Milley says war has killed or injured 200,000 military personnel total (on both sides), with an even split, and that around 40,000 civilians have died.

Woah... That's by far the worst estimate I've seen for Ukraine’s military casualties.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

alex314 posted:

Those soldiers know that they're either coming home in a casket, as invalids, or when Russia has won. Moving back towards Russian borders means that the chances of the third outcome grows even smaller for them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Given Russias difficulties retreating from Kherson has been the smart play for months now.

Making it look like an ambush is also the smart play.

the smart play would have been withdrawing 2 months ago after it was clear that they couldn't adequately supply their forces in the region. instead they had their units and materiel spend that time getting shelled relentlessly as part of a harebrained idea that not surrendering Kherson would lead to a republican electoral wave that would lead to Ukraine losing all American support.

I wouldn't call any stage of that smart plays, it's all just desperation.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As broadly kleptocratic and incompetent as Putin's Russia is, there are still some quite competent people within the Russian military, and combat is a particularly good way of separating the wheat from the chaff. You'd expect their strategic and operational performance to get better over time. They started from such a low base that it would be very difficult for this to not be the case.

Putin has been firing generals who give him too much bad news, and Ukraine has been killing commanders who spend too much time near the front, so I'm not sure about selection working in the direction you're thinking. I also don't think they started with particularly poor generals, just a really poor plan forced on them by Putin with very little time to prepare. A lot of the cycling through of army leadership has been aimed at covering for the incompetence of the political leadership.

As for the withdrawal, given that it started when Surovikin was promoted, it was clearly something he insisted upon before taking the job. Given that Putin had been resisting the obviously necessary withdrawal for months, it looks more like he couldn't find a commander who wanted to defend the river for a couple months and then be purged for failing at the impossible.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Woah... That's by far the worst estimate I've seen for Ukraine’s military casualties.

For every video of a drone dropping a grenade on a Russian patrol, there's a video of a squad of Ukrainians in civilian vehicles getting ambushed

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A realistic understanding of what their own military can and can't achieve was always a necessary precondition to get Russia to negotiate in earnest. I find it somewhat interesting that the apparently most competent Russian military commander yet is also one with a history of participating in coups...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

saratoga posted:

Putin has been firing generals who give him too much bad news, and Ukraine has been killing commanders who spend too much time near the front, so I'm not sure about selection working in the direction you're thinking. I also don't think they started with particularly poor generals, just a really poor plan forced on them by Putin with very little time to prepare. A lot of the cycling through of army leadership has been aimed at covering for the incompetence of the political leadership.

You are being exposed to propaganda from Ukraine. I don't mean this in a negative way, you just have to recognize it as such. Ukraine has killed a fair number of BTG commanders, a few brigade commanders, and like one or two divisional guys. You also tend to kill the least competent of your opponents - the guys that sit still for days/weeks, that use the radio too much, that have predictable patterns, that don't disperse or effectively locate their CPs, etc. You're not hearing about all the CPs that aren't getting hit.

I don't think the operational leadership level of the army is quite so political. Sure, the guys at the top are being replaced for political reasons, but the dead BTG commander isn't being replaced by a political appointee, he's being replaced by one of the more competent company commanders or a good BTG staff officer. Don't assume the Russian army is completely incompetent and can't learn from its mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

FishBulbia posted:

Sure but is the 100k on each side evenly split between injuries and fatalities?

10k wounded, 90k dead is very different from the opposite