Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
all pokemon are good pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nanigans posted:

All Pokémon so far are Cool and Good, imo

except Quaxly’s evolutions

Why have we seen pictures of weed cat and fire croc but not Josuke duck yet? lovely quality icons isn't cutting it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

IMO Sword and Shield had the all-timer line-up for Starter Pokemon. Not a loser in the bunch. Genuinely all fantastic, hard to pick between three cool little winners.

Their final stage evolutions, however, I think were by-and-large pretty lovely. Awkward human animal people stiffly animated. Rillaboom was the least crappy but even he had the ugly, smooth, textureless thing going on. Looked like a dude in a costume more than a grassy gorilla.

These lot so far are fairly good. A bit concerned about Duck-Man but am keeping my hopes up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Eimi posted:

Why have we seen pictures of weed cat and fire croc but not Josuke duck yet? lovely quality icons isn't cutting it.
Short answer is regular leakers didn't pick Quaxly and datamine leakers wanted to start with later stuff that the normal players wouldn't be able to reach so quickly for more clout.
The former don't want to start a new game and the latter delight in dancing around requests.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Eimi posted:

Centro Leaks posted this recreation of the sprites so we can look at something bigger than 2 pixels.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

All pokemon should be in the same game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Centro Leaks posted this recreation of the sprites so we can look at something bigger than 2 pixels.

Duck evolution kicks rear end if this is accurate

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
All Pokemon should have some custom animations like in Pokemon Stadium.

They are a indie billion dollar company, they can toss a few extra dollars at their animators/artist to make their moves look better.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Duck evolution kicks rear end if this is accurate

That's still just water blaziken, but I dig it. :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Falco is a major step down in cool from starting as Josuke. Doesn't even work in any elements from Crazy Diamond. I do like his turban.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

All except one of them. They know what they did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hrist posted:

All except one of them. They know what they did.

All the Pokemon fans got together and agreed it's Simisear.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
that stupid fake-foreign writing over the top of all the pokedex entries is really annoying

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

that stupid fake-foreign writing over the top of all the pokedex entries is really annoying

Cry more.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nodosaur posted:

Call me crazy but maybe they shouldn't name stupid controversies about cartoon animals after a right wing thing that's led to hurt for large numbers of people

it's only led to hurt for the British so it's good

Mesadoram posted:

They are a indie billion dollar company, they can toss a few extra dollars at their animators/artist to make their moves look better.

oh so you want them to do 24/7 crunch with no overtime pay???? you lunatic rear end in a top hat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

water starter has been upgraded from "trash" to "deece." I like it

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

indigi posted:

oh so you want them to do 24/7 crunch with no overtime pay???? you lunatic rear end in a top hat

Work for the Work God.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Still would like to see the actual model for the Quaxly final, but if those are accurate, then this gen goes against my general Fire-starter preference for once. Mainly because the Skeledirge design looks a little too busy/complex for my tastes. Would love to see any of these in motion before committing to a final decision.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I like the fire guy but I think they should have gone all-in on the mosaic tile motif. seems like almost an afterthought. I love them though they're perfect

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Electric Phantasm posted:

All the Pokemon fans got together and agreed it's Simisear.

Doesn't count, that was a Japan-only poll and the winner was to be given away as a special event 'mon so it's biased and not truly indicative of the fanbase's opinions. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

indigi posted:

tbf game freak is not a gigantic company. I think to actually get to that point they would need to outsource a ton of art. I think there's also some pipeline problems that would make it hard.

I think it's less "we can't afford it" but more "we don't want to kill the golden goose by restructuring the company and scaling up rapidly"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dr. Stab posted:

tbf game freak is not a gigantic company. I think to actually get to that point they would need to outsource a ton of art. I think there's also some pipeline problems that would make it hard.

I think it's less "we can't afford it" but more "we don't want to kill the golden goose by restructuring the company and scaling up rapidly"

Just out of curiosity I checked out the number of employees they have. According to Google: 169. I checked out a different studio for shits and giggles and according to Google, Eidos Montreal has 481.

So yeah, their team is shockingly small for a AAA studio.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eimi posted:

Probably just that Fuecoco and Sprigatito were the leaker's starter and rival starter and we just got the sprite from a datamine without the full model yet, because datamine went straight to the paradox mons.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

doing it rapidly is a good way to gently caress everything up, I agree, but they've been making 3D games for well over a decade now. even if they'd started scaling up in 2015 once they knew the jump to Switch was coming they'd be in a much better position to actually do custom animations. everyone's still using the same poo poo from XY and, for example, with a lot of moves the beam effects still don't line up with the pokemon's gun/mouth/hands. cmon that poo poo is inexcusable. it's pure stubbornness at this point

e: the fact that they farmed out BDSP to a different studio hopefully illustrates a willingness to bring other folks on board to get poo poo done, but that still hasn't helped make the primary games animations better from the looks of things

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 9, 2022

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Class3KillStorm posted:

Mainly because the Skeledirge design looks a little too busy/complex for my tastes. Would love to see any of these in motion before committing to a final decision.

I heard something that said the colors were keyboard keys the fire bird plays. If that's true than it's the best and doots as it pleases.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Wile E. Toyota posted:

If accurate I'll be going for Quaxly. Honestly I don't have a problem with Fuecoco's final either he looks like a nice festive design. Not sure how I'm feeling about Sprigatito's final though...hm. I love the concept but the execution is slightly meh. I think I'll have to see what the shiny is like and how the sprite moves when animated to give a complete answer on that one. On that note they all outshine the previous gen of starters so I can't complain too much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should make a starter that starts out fierce and/or mean looking then gets progressively cuter from evolution

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah based on the final forms here this is the first gen that doesn't have any Starter designs I outright dislike since uh Gen IV?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mesadoram posted:

Just out of curiosity I checked out the number of employees they have. According to Google: 169. I checked out a different studio for shits and giggles and according to Google, Eidos Montreal has 481.

Eidos montreal is considered small in the AAA space. Ubisoft montreal has 4000 employees and also collaborated with 15 different development companies to make the latest assassin's creed. And they still don't put out games near as often as gamefreak does.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 9, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My opinions on Fuecoco's final evo depend entirely on whether its little buddy is just an accessory or if it moves about during battle animations or when eating a sandwich or whatever. If it doesn't then its a solid but slightly disappointing mon, and if it does then it is very cool and hype.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My opinions on Fuecoco's final evo depend entirely on whether its little buddy is just an accessory or if it moves about during battle animations or when eating a sandwich or whatever. If it doesn't then its a solid but slightly disappointing mon, and if it does then it is very cool and hype.

Even more so if it plays the keys on it's snout.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looks like we have a name for the pre-evo for Armarouge/Ceruledge.

Dex entry for Sprigatito 2

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Even more so if it plays the keys on it's snout.

This would be hype as well.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

indigi posted:

e: the fact that they farmed out BDSP to a different studio hopefully illustrates a willingness to bring other folks on board to get poo poo done, but that still hasn't helped make the primary games animations better from the looks of things

Counterpoint: The fact that you can't transfer spindas from BDSP to other games because they somehow got the coordinates for the spot randomization backwards and then it took ridiculously long to get it to be compatible with home does not speak amazingly well for the results of getting a different studio to do part of the work, unfortunately.

(To be clear: Farming more stuff out/bringing stuff aboard to work on things would be good, I'm just saying the glitches from the first major attempt on a mainline game might not encourage them to pursue it)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:ironicat:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Had anybody managed to leak the thrid evolution for smoliv? I'm curious how that one is going to shake out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

they are simply not a aaa studio lol. they are an indie dev who makes billions of dollars

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Yeah they entered a partnership with Nintendo and Creatures Inc to form TPCi specifically to manage all the parts of Pokemon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, "AAA" describes games, not sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is part of the reason why GF’s output is Pokémon and the one non-Pokémon tiny game they release every five years or so while everyone complains that the existence of said tiny game is the reason Pokémon sucks now.

In an ideal world they would be able to stop churning out yearly games and hire about a hundred more people. That said, they probably have some sort of mandate either from Nintendo or TPCI itself to keep up with the yearly games.

But also GF has a really bad habit ever since gen 4 of the first generation on new hardware sucking hard and then the second generation on that hardware being somewhere in the span of good to one of the best generations. Something about that transition just gets them every time. Probably the short dev time because I think they reuse engines.