Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volte posted:

The fact that the 24-hour peak is more than 40% of the all-time peak on a game that was released three years ago is pretty incredible. And looking at that graph over time, it never really dipped all that much. It has a higher average concurrent player count than Doom Eternal, a game which peaked at over 84,000 players and came out more recently.

The current spike in players is due to the Turkish translation coming out, you can see the daily players jump from ~1000 to ~5000 as soon as that dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

To be more direct, you don't think the studio could have made enough money off of DE to partially fund a sequel?

That's the thing, the game is funding a sequel because there's a game studio making it. So you add up 5 years of development on the game (assuming that includes pre-production and a small team), then the cost of the studio continuing for another 3 three years after release to work on a sequel and fund the Final Cut... those numbers don't say there's much money left.

e: you wouldn't expect the player count to hold up for a game like this anyway, I only raise it because it gives a sense of the order of magnitude of sales and its place in comparison to other games in the industry.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

I don't believe one mildly successful video game (Disco Elysium's peak players is 8k, https://steamcharts.com/app/632470#All, which is equivalent to Return to Monkey island, which gives a sense that it did well for genre) has remotely provided the riches it is claimed are being embezelled and fought over.

I don't think an amount of money needs to remotely reach "riches" to be embezzled and fought over, especially in a post-Soviet country.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

loving hell that Mick Gordon post

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh it turns out their annual reports are all public? https://ariregister.rik.ee/eng/company/12929505/Zaum-Studio-O%C3%9C?active_tab=fiscal_year_reports

Yeah it looks like they made about 15m EUR off the game, with annual operating costs of around 600k, so a decent chunk of change and enough to take profits and merrily fund a sequel.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I could totally believe investors would try and steal a company, no matter how small, as long as it wasn't actively losing money. It doesn't seem implausible at all.

I could also believe that the creators of this game were lazy assholes who had the spark of a good idea and coasted on the hard work others put in to actually produce it. I don't know what evidence there is to the contrary of that narrative either.

I'm not going to assume either thing to be true, though my gut says it's more likely that financial greed ruining things. Looks like we'll have to see how things go in court.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

But the thing is, if it was fraud then the main victim would have been the majority shareholder who was bought out with their own money... which you would assume they would have something to say about.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

But the thing is, if it was fraud then the main victim would have been the majority shareholder who was bought out with their own money... which you would assume they would have something to say about.

Maybe he's keeping his mouth shut cuz he got his money.

Meanwhile, minority shareholders like Kurvitz and pals might be quite upset that their money was spent in such a way.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It also wasn't "his own money", it belonged to the company which he no longer owned.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

loving hell that Mick Gordon post

For real, I'm having a Deja Vu here.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

quote:

We also believe in what Harrier du Bois calls “the law”. It’s not perfect, but it’s there to protect those who create from those who take. And so it will.

Huh.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
*drunkenly drives his car and breaks a water lock and puts a hole in a fence the Fracoginerian Calvary could fit through*

I AM THE LAW

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lots of workers from other intellectual sectors get their poo poo stolen from them by management/investors/board once there’s payday. Designers, programmers, scientists, musicians, artists in general and whatnot. Getting them to look bad to the public is elementary PR maneuvering in favor of those interests, come on

edit: especially if said people have openly declared politics in opposition of said interests

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 10, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Excuse me, this man who was convicted of fraud would never lie to me. He's very rich!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Excuse me, this man who was convicted of fraud would never lie to me. He's very rich!

The IP didn't make enough money to be worth stealing. This story doesn't add up, friends, countrymen!

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

The barrage of conflicting hearsay, obvious media manipulation, and bizarre public statements has left me with the following picture: Robert Kurvitz is probably a shithead, but he was also up-and-down hosed by a bunch of shady financial ghouls and their gibbering legal homunculi. Does that sound about right?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

My first play through as a GOOD COP is validated.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

The barrage of conflicting hearsay, obvious media manipulation, and bizarre public statements has left me with the following picture: Robert Kurvitz is probably a shithead, but he was also up-and-down hosed by a bunch of shady financial ghouls and their gibbering legal homunculi. Does that sound about right?

Probably yea. "Kurvit is a shithead yes BUT HE'S ALSO THE BEST drat GAME DEV AROUND!" -Kim probably

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s ok to just not know where things stand

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s ok to just not know where things stand

But...what would I post about, then?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The only evidence for him being a shithead is what the people who stole from him are claiming. The evidence he's not is that there's at least three other people who actually know him who decided to stand by him for this.

I'm sure he has personality flaws, as do most of us, but this doesn't look good for the moneybags so far.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Even if you're willing to settle here, I'd definitely add "a lot of people act like shitheads when they're being treated like poo poo". It's pretty elementary triangulation to gently caress someone over, let them get steadily more pissed off and unwilling to do their job, then tell everyone else they're a problem who has to go.

I've had bosses who behaved in absolutely unacceptable ways — screaming, throwing things, tearing into subordinates — but who were also at the tail end of months of hundred-hour-a-week crunch, drunk, depressed, sole survivors of huge purges that had taken out all their friends and colleagues, sometimes the ones required to carry out the purges, and fully aware they were being used as circuit breakers by management. By circuit breakers I mean they'd been put in position to take the fall for poor decisionmaking higher up in the org. This isn't an excuse, you should never scream or throw things or cuss out you subordinates, but...people aren't always glowing saints when they're being treated badly. People do not have unlimited control over their own behavior under stress. Resources get depleted, people break down. Part of the responsibility for good personal conduct is on the company to provide an environment that treats people well.

"Get rid of all the bad people" is very much necessary in a lot of places, but "we treated this person like poo poo, and now, regretfully, we must admit they are toxic and abusive" is an easy and cynical way to take advantage of that.

I have no idea how to tell the difference from outside, though, except I guess to believe specific allegations rather than general companyspeak. Although that puts the onus on victims to come forward on the record and blrughrgre now I'm depressing myself

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Megazver posted:

The only evidence for him being a shithead is what the people who stole from him are claiming. The evidence he's not is that there's at least three other people who actually know him who decided to stand by him for this.

I'm sure he has personality flaws, as do most of us, but this doesn't look good for the moneybags so far.

Oh, it looks real, reeeeal bad for the moneybags. There's some real "song as old as rhyme" vibes there. I'm just extending the courtesy of assuming Kurvitz is a shithead because, well, when is it not a safe assumption that somebody is a shithead?

e:

General Battuta posted:

Even if you're willing to settle here, I'd definitely add "a lot of people act like shitheads when they're being treated like poo poo". It's pretty elementary triangulation to gently caress someone over, let them get steadily more pissed off and unwilling to do their job, then tell everyone else they're a problem who has to go.

I've had bosses who behaved in absolutely unacceptable ways — screaming, throwing things, tearing into subordinates — but who were also at the tail end of months of hundred-hour-a-week crunch, drunk, depressed, sole survivors of huge purges that had taken out all their friends and colleagues, sometimes the ones required to carry out the purges, and fully aware they were being used as circuit breakers by management. By circuit breakers I mean they'd been put in position to take the fall for poor decisionmaking higher up in the org. This isn't an excuse, you should never scream or throw things or cuss out you subordinates, but...people aren't always glowing saints when they're being treated badly. People do not have unlimited control over their own behavior under stress. Resources get depleted, people break down. Part of the responsibility for good personal conduct is on the company to provide an environment that treats people well.

"Get rid of all the bad people" is very much necessary in a lot of places, but "we treated this person like poo poo, and now, regretfully, we must admit they are toxic and abusive" is an easy and cynical way to take advantage of that.

I have no idea how to tell the difference from outside, though, except I guess to believe specific allegations rather than general companyspeak. Although that puts the onus on victims to come forward on the record and blrughrgre now I'm depressing myself

Yeah, without anything actually specific to look at, the safe guess is that the (remarkably generic) claims against Kurvitz are 1) invention, 2) overblown, or 3) an understandably human reaction to a clearly toxic business arrangement. But since we don't have that "anything actually specific", it's a lot more juicy and fun to wildly speculate that everyone involved is some kind of bridge troll.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 10, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Being a shithead is endearing actually.

I'm being serious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean it wouldn't surprise me if Kurvitz was kind of lovely on a personal level. Harry is a toxic alcoholic in such a specific way it's hard to think he didn't draw on something lived and true to get to that point. But I also fully believe that the guy caught doing fraud might very well have done another fraud.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Haha yea if those sources are for real it’s awesome he treated women he worked with like poo poo. What a guy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Helen still likes him.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Megazver posted:

besides that, there are the other dismissals (Rostov, Luiga, Hindpere et al). Is the same being said of them all? Luiga came out for Kurvitz even though they had creative animosity. Escalating that "someone can be hard to work with" to shithead, rear end in a top hat etc to tarnish them is something often done in retaliation: like, how many musicians have been put in an awful light because they went against garbage practices by studios?

and they do it because it works. It's pervasive. A lot of people respond to this thing where they evaluate the matter in terms of personal dynamics, but for real, what relevance it has to the point that their poo poo got stolen from under their feet? It's not about whether Kurvitz, Luiga and the others would be good friends to hang around with, it's about having their labor of more than a decade being usurped

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i just don't see why the people trying to hijack the studio and steal the intellectual property rights on behalf of the first man convicted of investment fraud in the country would be dishonest, especially about something that would be incredibly convenient for them based on zero evidence

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What if the first man convicted of investment fraud in the country also said that women don't like his enemies?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

i am a moron posted:

Haha yea if those sources are for real it’s awesome he treated women he worked with like poo poo. What a guy

Is anyone actually saying this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i heard that ZA/UM is doing an official auction for an NFT of the of the martinaise drawbridge and I cannot wait to buy it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

There was an article posted by someone who supposedly has sources in the company that I’m assuming no one read.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/disco-elysium-studio-zaum-confirms-former-employees-were-fired-for-misconduct

quote:

"They treated their co-workers very badly," Kompus told the Ekspress. "Despite talking to them repeatedly, things did not improve. Therefore, the company was forced to fire them. Robert [Kurvitz] is said to have been known for belittling women and co-workers in the past, but this was previously unknown to the company. It would be very short-sighted of a growing international company to tolerate such behaviour."

One source that spoke to GamesIndustry.biz, who asked to remain anonymous, described the situation as "not black and white," and said that long-term staff were reluctant to speak out about Kurvitz’ behaviour because they respected him, and felt like they owed him for their positions. Our source claimed staff hired later on did not have a clear picture of the situation and felt uncomfortable speaking out on behalf of others.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Omg he was rude :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

according to the person who scammed them out of their property and an anonymous source that definitely isn't the other person that scammed them

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As a rule of thumb, I always believe the fraudster being sued for fraud because I am a moralist and I believe in second chances :angel:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

i am a moron posted:

There was an article posted by someone who supposedly has sources in the company that I’m assuming no one read.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/disco-elysium-studio-zaum-confirms-former-employees-were-fired-for-misconduct

It was posted and reacted to earlier in this thread, I am a moron. Don’t sign my posts

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea I’m sure ZAUM is an iron fortress and it’s impossible to find an employee and ask them questions. They probably have a seven foot Estonian supremacist guarding the front door and there’s no way whoever wrote this article has the physical instrumentation necessary to get in and ask questions

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

General Battuta posted:

It was posted and reacted to earlier in this thread, I am a moron. Don’t sign my posts

Someone literally asked ‘is anyone saying this’

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Whoever is the largest gets to call the shots, it's called Marxism, maybe look it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i am a moron posted:

This is the same article where this same guy who "confirmed" that they were fired for misconduct also claims that they were scheming to steal ZA/UM's intellectual property. The IP which Kurvitz, Hindpere and Rostov had been working on since 2001, about 15 years before the studio even existed.