Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ads in Canada have gone nuts with all the different betting companies trying to get in. Like a third of the ads are betting, but different companies. It's kind of gross, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1590482952059645953?s=20&t=6k8BS1MLMjFf7H9zSAwKVQ

Allard returns to the team that drafted him

I assume he will get DFA'd

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jake Odorizzi....has value? bwoah?!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1590497339906883589
Iirc he had a $6.5m buyout on his option ($12m if picked up) so, Atlanta is paying $3.5m for Kolby Allard, do I have that right or am I misunderstanding?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope, you got it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

odorizzi bad

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so I guess it's just a way to get odorizzis money off next years books and save a couple million

wouldn't want him starting anyway, whatever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
FTX the crypto currency exchange that was sponsoring Umpires this year is about to shut down.

you hate to see it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

odorizzi bad

Now that he's back in the AL West we might get the Odorizzi revenge game. Where we put 15 on him as revenge for his lovely pitching and then getting snippy about it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Popete posted:

FTX the crypto currency exchange that was sponsoring Umpires this year is about to shut down.

you hate to see it

For the longest time I was confused about what those logos were - I assumed it was some technology for replay.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

you hate to see it
So that and Terra, which was all over the Nats stadium at least, are dead. I guess crypto.com is still a thing but I wanna say they bought the arena name for like 20 years which lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'd be glad the Astros were able to parlay a brief window of Odo being good for a trade if that trade hadn't been for Will Smith

Oh well, just glad Odo is gone

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I hadn’t really thought about it but having ads on the umpire uniforms feels like an extra level of money-grab. I’m pretty sure none of the other major sports leagues put ads on referee uniforms.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When it comes to ads I'm annoyed that the highlight of Yordan's homer over the batter's eye will forever have the batter's eye obscured by a superimposed geico ad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

you hate to see it
They also paid for the naming rights for the Miami Heat's arena so I'll be interested to see what happens with that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

yeah at this point getting a single meaningful major league inning out of him and not just one last "gently caress it throw him out there and see" try would be a miracle

TINSTAAPP but also their REALLY isn't any such thing as one when they've been through as much as Whitley

I've heard the org is also very much over his bullshit in a way that makes me shocked he hasn't been traded.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Oh well, just glad Odo is gone

RIP Rene Auberjonois

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ace Jameson posted:

I hadn’t really thought about it but having ads on the umpire uniforms feels like an extra level of money-grab. I’m pretty sure none of the other major sports leagues put ads on referee uniforms.

"The umps are supposed to be neutral neutral but we here at Geico are always on YOUR team"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Now that the season's all over Marco Gonzales' 2022 has got to be a record for the least amount of fWAR per IP from any modern starter who ended up with a positive fWAR at the end of the season.

.000055 over 183 innings gives you his grand total of 0.1 fWAR.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 10, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

so I guess it's just a way to get odorizzis money off next years books and save a couple million

wouldn't want him starting anyway, whatever

Ya this is the type of thing AA has done in the past. That 10 million is probably on this year's payroll and opens it up for next season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Strong late entry for post/handle combo Take of the Year

https://twitter.com/jonbecker_/status/1590529365581832192?s=46&t=wTUl_Y5JdZP8eelRQbe8LA

lobster shirt posted:

odorizzi bad

he sure was

goddamn

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
they say you see something new every time you read a baseball article hot take written by a complete dipshit

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

elentar posted:

Strong late entry for post/handle combo Take of the Year

https://twitter.com/jonbecker_/status/1590529365581832192?s=46&t=wTUl_Y5JdZP8eelRQbe8LA

he sure was

goddamn

it's alan loving dershowitz so i shouldn't even respond into the ether of a dead gay comedy forum but

alan "my 'i settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre' t-shirt is prompting a lot of questions that are answered by my t-shirt" dershowitz posted:

When Robinson was brought up from the Montreal farm team to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, one southern player — appropriately named Dixie Walker — refused to play on the same team as what was then called a Negro. To his credit, Dodger President Branch Rickey traded Walker and kept Robinson. This was not only the right thing to do, but it turned out that Robinson was a better player than Walker (although Walker was pretty darn good). This is an example of how meritocracy can help end discrimination.

the article is talking about the youth pipeline, and not the one that you were a part of in little st. james. to have a meritocracy you need equality of opportunity. baseball as she is played is failing in that regard

eat my entire rear end in a top hat alan dershowitz

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: eh you're right about not bothering to respond so removed my post. needless to say gently caress alan dersh

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 10, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh god I just realized this is going to be the worst/funniest possible free agency period now that Elon has allowed people to purchase checkmarks

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya this is the type of thing AA has done in the past. That 10 million is probably on this year's payroll and opens it up for next season.

I'm assuming the big thing is where that money counts towards the luxury tax. This year, next year, on the rangers books? I thought maybe since Koby is a lefty first round pick by Atlanta this could be a redemption story but the guy has almost no chance to make the roster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590720353055436802

Knew it was coming but still, dang. I don't think he'll be back

e: yes I did view their profile and make sure their check was for being verified instead of twitter blue, just in case I missed a letter trick in the name :v:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 10, 2022

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Intruder posted:

e: yes I did view their profile and make sure their check was for being verified instead of twitter blue, just in case I missed a letter trick in the name :v:

LOL twitter is dead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590720353055436802

Knew it was coming but still, dang. I don't think he'll be back

Nor should he be, he's going to want (and is likely worth) something well north of $40m aav and probably multi-year and the Astros should not give it to him. Someone is going to offer him 3/$130+ and imho it is an insanely bad idea to give a huge contract to a 40 y.o. power pitcher who may either be returning to dominance or had one hell of a fluke season. I hope it's the former and not the latter and I hope he proves me wrong on the Tigers and not the Yankees. Astro's depth at SP is too good, with 2 Cy candidates (provided Javy's fastball really is unfigureoutable) at the top and 4 strong rotation guys, any one of whom could make a leap next year (probably not Uriquidy). I mean they literally have a 25 year old JV clone on the roster. Also, and I concede this is eye-test BS but the man just does not have his stuff in the WS. His G5 win was purely determination and Dusty giving him the leash to get the W, for whatever reason he pitches like dogshit in the world series. This is a nice problem to have of course, but with expectations being appearing in the world series since that's what the Astros do, it's actually a pretty salient factor imo. Now if he wants to take a sweetheart hometown deal because he's best friends with Jim Crane, well I'll just smile and grit my teeth during games 1 and 5 of the 2023 WS but it would have to be a hell of a deal.

What they need to sell out on is a short term deal for Jose Abreu

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

JV wants a longer term deal. We'll see what happens but if he doesn't stay our rotation is still pretty drat good.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am sad to see verlander go but i think the astros will be alright. hell of a run he had with our team though.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sign Montero back, get a legit DH (Brantley) and 1st baseman (Abreu). Sorry Yuli, time to hang up your cleats.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I agree that the rotation is still good without him but that doesn't change the fact that it's a blow. Spending the money elsewhere (like on Abreu as zoux said) would make me feel better but it's not like they spent the Correa money last year so who knows?

WS jokes aside, a playoff rotation where Garcia takes JV's spot isn't nearly as enticing. Maybe Brown steps up but despite his numbers his wildness concerns me. McCullers is gonna have to recover a little something of what he was but a full offseason program should help him with that instead of struggling to come back toward the end of the season

MrMidnight posted:

Sign Montero back, get a legit DH (Brantley) and 1st baseman (Abreu). Sorry Yuli, time to hang up your cleats.

I would rather get a legit LF and move Yordan back to DH. I don't know who that would be though. I've seen some speculation about Joey Gallo which lol oh god no

Maybe they could make the Conforto thing happen this time? Unless they bring Uncle Mike back in which case I promise you I'd be more than happy

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 10, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Very much within Cashman's range for the Yankees to sign him and get 2004 Kevin Brown.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

I don't trust Montero, he reeks of the one-season wonder reliever, and I think he's going to command much more than he's worth. Abreu in the set up spot is way better. JOSE ABREU ಠ_ಠ

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Come to the jays

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Oh god I just realized this is going to be the worst/funniest possible free agency period now that Elon has allowed people to purchase checkmarks

you mean to tell me that Carlos Correa didn't sign a 9 year deal with the Twins this morning??????

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Verlander strikes me as one of those signings where if he goes somewhere else he'll be good still and everyone will go Cashman :argh: , but if he comes to NY he'll pitch like Clemens did that first year after he came over from Toronto

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Verlander strikes me as one of those signings where if he goes somewhere else he'll be good still and everyone will go Cashman :argh: , but if he comes to NY he'll pitch like Clemens did that first year after he came over from Toronto

or the year after Clemens retired from the Astros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JV was apparently a different guy mentality wise this season. I'm sure you guys all remember the rumors from last year about how JV never showed up to anyone's birthday parties and the team wouldn't let him throw out the first pitch in the '21 WS or whatever. I don't know how true that stuff was but from the interviews he's given, tearing his UCL and staring down the end of his career out of nowhere really hosed him up and scared him and this season he's been smelling the roses, so to speak, and any time you see him in the dugout he's cutting it up with the guys, he's always one of the first ones out of the dugout to congratulate people, etc. Apparently he's just been a sterling teammate this year and you put that together with both the personal and team accolades that he earned this year, I don't know how that affects his decision. Houston loving loves JV, they love Kate, they are immeasurably big fish here, so is that worth $10m extra a year to go to NY and get booed if you gently caress up? Probably, that's af uckload of money