Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

what the gently caress is an "enhanced human"

genetic modification idk seems like they found someone off the street after he was born but there's some crazy bio-science stuff going on

In Elan's case, I'd assume it involves somehow infusing his nervous system with Permet in order to lessen the strain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ninjewtsu posted:

what the gently caress is an "enhanced human"

genetic modification idk seems like they found someone off the street after he was born but there's some crazy bio-science stuff going on

Unless there’s something in the show that says otherwise, it could just be surgery. Wolverine is an enhanced mutant and nobody messed with his genes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just wanna say I enjoyed seeing people's reactions to Elan from those who are new to Gundam and the cyber newtype trope as a whole.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The insane theorycrafting is fun so long as you don't take it too seriously.

Yeah, this I agree with. It's interesting reading everyone's theories on what's going on so long as it doesn't devolve into getting heated and accusing others of not having basic media literacy or whatever. Just have fun with it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My theory is that Guel will challenge Shaddiq, and then show up hours late wielding a mobile suit sized bokken and soundly defeat him.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Buschmaki posted:

My theory is that Guel will challenge Shaddiq, and then show up hours late wielding a mobile suit sized bokken and soundly defeat him.

That would be amazing, Guel needs a W.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Unless there’s something in the show that says otherwise, it could just be surgery. Wolverine is an enhanced mutant and nobody messed with his genes.

Once you introduce "we stole your face and replaced it with this kid's face" nothing's off the table, and in fact escalation is likely

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The big monkey wrenches thrown in from episode 6 are the mention of a 21-year old vendetta and Elan's vision of spectral Eri(s).

The former necessitates something weird going on if Belmeria is referring to the attack on Fólkvangr, or knowledge of another unspecified event if not. If Fólkvangr, Suletta has to be 8 years older than the 17 she supposedly is now to make the dates line up.
In Fólkvangr's favor: it's the biggest impact we know of in Elnora's life that she'd want to take revenge for, and 21 years seems a bit more fitting for the aging of Delling and Sarius.
Still, it's unlikely anybody from Vanadis made it out of Fólkvangr alive beyond the two in Lfrith, so presumably she was a colleague that was off-station at the time. Bel knows of Prospera's daughter and doesn't give any indication that she should be older than she is. And she's not questioning if the Lfrith was upgraded, so either she was in the dark about that project, or the Aerial is too different for Bel to believe it's the same machine.

The Eri appearance linked specifically with Aerial is certainly food for thought, especially with the potential of the bits being separate entities as well, but there's not a whole lot to read further on that front - Suletta's pretty consistent in talking directly to and hearing Aerial's voice - the only "everyone" is when she's directing the other bits to protect and free the trapped one during the fight. Plus, most of the symbolism in the music videos around Eri links her with Aerial, but doesn't really show multiple others.

On the latter, at least, I think the key is Permet - remembering that the glossary says that one of its properties is sharing information between individual pieces. If we think of Eri representing Aerial, then the bits can just be linked directly giving her multiple "bodies". We also haven't seen the blue interfacing lines appear since the Prologue. My own feelings are that the AI modeled itself on Eri when they were freely Permet-linked back in Lfrith, and she's just never updated her self-image since then. I'm also hesitant to believe Suletta must be a clone, since we don't really have that established as a major technology in the setting, Prospera's resources are not likely to have been as extensive as Peil Technologies (which was about neck and neck with Jeturk in the earnings chart) who have only really gone as far as extensive cosmetic surgery and alterations, and Elnora's own strengths having been apparent in mobile suit piloting and engineering, and AI development; there's no biological work involved beyond human-machine interfacing through Permet. It's possible that whomever she's working with is working in that field, I'm not really gonna rule anything out of hand, but just going on what's definitely known it doesn't really fit the puzzle pieces. Though, even with modern real-world technology, sperm can be preserved for quite a while, so it's also not impossible that Suletta is simply a second child of Nadim, either.

We're still probably in for some twists to shock, anyway.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Didn't notice this on the first watch through, but I think we have Bel's full name.

Right before Ariel's EMP burst (17:30 in the Crunchyroll stream), Elan says "Belmeria Winston, your diagnosis missed the mark."

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Didn't notice this on the first watch through, but I think we have Bel's full name.

Right before Ariel's EMP burst (17:30 in the Crunchyroll stream), Elan says "Belmeria Winston, your diagnosis missed the mark."

Yeah, all the characters have cards with their names on the site.

https://en.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/witch/character/29/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like the cryo fan theory more.

They drifted to Mercury in the Lfrith over 8 years in hibernation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Interview with the character designer, Mogumo.
Some insights:
The director, Hiroshi Kobayashi, was the one that decided on the rough aesthetic for the school uniforms before character-specific adaptation with style and accessories The uniforms were inspired by western military academies, but Kobayashi didn't want them too modern/contemporary, but rather, a sort of "timeless" look that'd be iconic and easily memorable.
Suletta needed to look like a meek and shy country girl who nevertheless could sell the idea of someone that can reliably step up when needed.
Miorine was tailored to complement Suletta's design and look good together next to her - things like their hair-styles being similar but Suletta's being fluffy while Miorine's is straight.
Suletta was always going to be the tallest girl and Miorine small even compared to most of the other girls.
Miorine's uniform was the hardest to design - in the original drafts of the story, she wasn't even a student, and had a "skimpier, more high-class" outfit. When they gave her a uniform, it was a bit extra-plain at first so some reworks to make it stand out a bit had to be done.
Chuchu is slightly shorter than Miorine and slightly thicker than most of the other girls as well.
Guel is meant to have a versatile look where he can appear mean, cool, or silly for the scene.
Elan was always meant to have a classic "prince" look, but originally he had white tights and that seemed a bit much so they settled on a jabot instead.
Shaddiq is meant to seem different from the other students. He may appear easy-going and relaxed, but he's also the one that's closest to the adult world.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What's the takes so far? I heard some really enjoyed the first ep. I'm optimistic, but the school setting and whatnot has me a little less excited. Although I did enjoy Code Geass, by this writer I think.

I like my Gundam a little more oldschool-ish, and it seems every anime is kids in school more than ever. Plus I liked how even High School anime characters in the 80s or 90s seemed like they were 27. Kind of like in 80s and 90s films. But if it rocks it rocks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Heavy Metal posted:

What's the takes so far? I heard some really enjoyed the first ep. I'm optimistic, but the school setting and whatnot has me a little less excited. Although I did enjoy Code Geass, by this writer I think.

I like my Gundam a little more oldschool-ish, and it seems every anime is kids in school more than ever. Plus I liked how even High School anime characters in the 80s or 90s seemed like they were 27. Kind of like in 80s and 90s films. But if it rocks it rocks.

It's not a normal high school. So far it seems very unlikely that's gonna be a culture festival episode or anything like that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Don't pretend that a cultural festival episode with Gundams wouldn't rule.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just imagine a Gundam Maid Cafe. Gundam turning over giant takoyaki at a stand outside.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We survived a hot springs episode, we can take a matsuri too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The setting is a school, but it really hasn't...actually focused on any school stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That could be pretty funny. Hot springs eps are classic, Outlaw Star yes indeed.

Miorine Rembran is probably my other deterring factor, I don't really dig that kind of character design for this universe. Blushing young lasses, seems like it's pandering to the same popular trends. They just keep going to that well. But if the thread considers it good Gundam, I gotta try it some day.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I Am Fowl posted:

Just imagine a Gundam Maid Cafe. Gundam turning over giant takoyaki at a stand outside.

Dolores, I was ahead of its time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Miorine is not really a blushing young lass, she is full of anger and violence.

Not as much as Chuchu, but we can't all be Chuchu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just wanted to be creative and not say moe character marketed with lots of merch etc. The design is what I find blah, I'm sure the character does badass stuff.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

It's The Tempest meets Utena

Heavy Metal posted:

Miorine Rembran is probably my other deterring factor, I don't really dig that kind of character design for this universe. Blushing young lasses, seems like it's pandering to the same popular trends. They just keep going to that well. But if the thread considers it good Gundam, I gotta try it some day.

Miorine is a gamer gal who calls her father a "lovely dad" and challenges him to duels.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I just wanted to be creative and not say moe character marketed with lots of merch etc. The design is what I find blah, I'm sure the character does badass stuff.

You dum.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“You can’t just assume they have cloning tech. Now let’s assume they have cryogenic tech.”

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm not, I just don't enjoy a trend and style that you do as much.

Technowolf posted:

It's The Tempest meets Utena

Miorine is a gamer gal who calls her father a "lovely dad" and challenges him to duels.

Right on. If it looked and sounded like Utena, it'd be a done deal. We just need to rewind anime trends 25 years is all.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it is okay for a show's aesthetics and character archetypes to deviate from a show made 30 years ago. Also the best Gundam character, Turn A Gundam, contains the most moe protagonist

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I didn't bring up that show, just saying it had a great style more unique than this one. Some shows today have cool character designs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Honestly in that case I'd just wait till the end of the cour. So far the show's very fun and good and I have faith in it but who knows, it could just absolutely faceplant in the last couple eps of the cour or whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus I liked how even High School anime characters in the 80s or 90s seemed like they were 27. Kind of like in 80s and 90s films. But if it rocks it rocks.

what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amuro was two years younger than Suletta is here.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

miorines not even moe????????????

:dafuq:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is a pretty known thing, y'know like Luke Perry and Kristy Swanson in the Buffy movie, or 30 year olds in 90210 etc. And people joking about characters from 90s street tough anime shows etcs being portrayed or seeming like they're in their 20s. That Chad guy in Bleach etc. He's 16, so is the cast of this Witch show. And definitely Amuro is a great style and portrayal that I like.

Its a lighthearted stylistic thing that some find unrealistic, the older style high school cast. Having more childish or whatever adjective characters in a school setting may make some sense, but it's not as appealing to me as the older vibe. Especially for a war show. Plus it just seems like every show has the same thing, people were talking about the pale haired girl in Cyberpunk too.

I get the vibe that a different take on this is seemingly unwelcome, but hey I'm one of the gang. I have Martian Successor Nadesico on DVD etc.

edit: My take in a nutshell: that GaoGaiGar/Code Geass guy does the character design, everybody wins. Or Masami Obari. (Anybody see that funny Masami Obari episode of Pop Team Epic?)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 10, 2022

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

We already established the most moe character in the show is Ariel.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it wrong that I find this absolutely adorable?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

galagazombie posted:

“You can’t just assume they have cloning tech. Now let’s assume they have cryogenic tech.”

Girls, girls. They're both dumb ideas.

Waffleman_ posted:

Amuro was two years younger than Suletta is here.

Char was like 20. Dude was a true freak.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

amuro runs off into the desert with one can of beans and the gundam, extremely 15 year old move

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
One bit of evidence against the '21 years ago' line referring to the Vanadis attack is that in episode 2 during the interrogation, they ask her if she's part of Vanadis, which is a bit of a weird question to ask a 17 year old if the organization was destroyed four years before she was born.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Cirina posted:

One bit of evidence against the '21 years ago' line referring to the Vanadis attack is that in episode 2 during the interrogation, they ask her if she's part of Vanadis, which is a bit of a weird question to ask a 17 year old if the organization was destroyed four years before she was born.

I mean it's a weird thing to ask of a girl who would have been four too.

Though apparently my cousin in Germany was asked if she was ever part of the Stasi when she applied for a teaching position there, despite being a child when the Berlin Wall fell, so who knows.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not sure how you can simultaneously claim you don't like moe but you want CLAMP to design the characters.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
It's on the sheet, they have to ask if it's on the sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I mean it's a weird thing to ask of a girl who would have been four too.

Though apparently my cousin in Germany was asked if she was ever part of the Stasi when she applied for a teaching position there, despite being a child when the Berlin Wall fell, so who knows.

She turned up out of nowhere in what looks an awful lot like a Gundam, and the concern is probably more that there's some lingering/returning element of the known "Terrorist" organization still around fielding machines like the alleged Aerial Gundam.