Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: don't think being doused in slurry is sufficient punishment for his ministerial performance, but oh well can't gouge 200k eyes from a single head so this will have to do

There's still time for Nature to jump in

e: Just like this chap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So is Mastodon going to be a viable alternative for people who need social media to promote their creative work, or is it just methadone for the people addicted to saying whatever will Make Number Go Higher?

I mean, ideally we go back to the world of blogs and RSS feeds, but I can’t see that happening unfortunately.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

So is Mastodon going to be a viable alternative for people who need social media to promote their creative work, or is it just methadone for the people addicted to saying whatever will Make Number Go Higher?

I mean, ideally we go back to the world of blogs and RSS feeds, but I can’t see that happening unfortunately.

RMT has set up on mastodon. (Whoever does their account on twitter has the patience of a saint). I haven't joined it as I can't think of a username or an answer to the Why Do You Want To Join question.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
watching a billionaire throw a tantrum over a case of severe buyers remorse while also loving up so badly is absolutely fantastic to watch

probably won't kill twitter, fucker will get bored and gtfo soon I reckon

at a massive loss

lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He's going to reach the "Lowtax equilibrium", a stable point where he's so annoyed by the site that he doesn't spend any time there, preventing him from seeing things that annoy him too much and attempting to change them.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm certain the Tesla shareholders will make sure he doesn't have time for Twitter

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And they actually are kind of right, if you care about poppies.

smuggling some other political message into your poppy is pretty disrespectful of the initial symbol.

The initial symbol was the "clap for the NHS!" of its day, ie "we're going to do gently caress all about the actual problem or the cause but here's something to make everyone feel they're helping". So bollocks to it.

(Also the same as in anyone who points out it's bollocks in public gets curbstomped...)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm glad she got that good pipe. Kind of horrifying that Major is legitimately the most fuckable PM of my lifetime tho, they really are an extremely mutated bunch

How quickly we forget Big Bear Gordy Brown

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Runcible Cat posted:

The initial symbol was the "clap for the NHS!" of its day, ie "we're going to do gently caress all about the actual problem or the cause but here's something to make everyone feel they're helping". So bollocks to it.

(Also the same as in anyone who points out it's bollocks in public gets curbstomped...)

At least poppies raise money - clapping for the NHS did gently caress all. In fact it was probably a net negative for the NHS with all the sprained wrists

Edit: wasn't there a story ITT about some goon's grandmother who went out into the garden to clap for the NHS but tripped on her patio and hosed her foot up?

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 10, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

I'm certain the Tesla shareholders will make sure he doesn't have time for Twitter

I'm not sure why you'd think that, and apropos of nothing here is a picture of Tesla's share price with the day he formally took over Twitter highlighted

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The original poppy campaign was "the qing emperor is a prohie oval office and even his own court and portmasters agree, let's burn his poo poo and steal his gold" and we should go back to that one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Never understood the appeal for dramatized shows of current events.
You just don't know what bits are faked and changed to make the story more appealing for the audience.
Like when Diana went to Paris, decided to retire, phone up Charles and said he was right all along, disappeared and went to live on a farm for the rest of her life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then out of nowhere when she was tending the chickens prince philip smashed a white fiat uno over her.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:qq:
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1590640752530374656

Diet Crack posted:

Elon doesn't actually do any work, he just tweets

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just realised that Dodi Fayed was the maternal grandson of Muhammed Khashoggi, making him cousins with Jamal Khashoggi.

That family can't catch a break.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Whomst among us

https://twitter.com/livechonews/status/1590618260558553089

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Soup Heil! Get a great replacement deal on your hot drink!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Online friends can be very good friends as I have found out in my personal life!
Hope you recover well from your injury.

Oh absolutely! And thank you :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I still think it's really funny he changed his name in prison, not to something more white power like GOODBLOOD STRONGRACE but to Fjotolf Hansen, which just makes me think of the FYAD poster "frolf jorts"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

What am I looking at here? Musk sold all his tesla stock in the past few days?

That column says "top insider trading", does that mean he's doing something illegal

You can't just post a spreadsheet and not caption it :argh:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They're coming for Red Ed

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1590652394362507264?s=20&t=rD8aZtOHUP7PwmCRO4yaWQ

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

josh04 posted:

He's going to reach the "Lowtax equilibrium"

Horizontal and not moving :pray:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

They're coming for Red Ed
The known antisemite Ed Miliband, with his antisemitic kosher kitchens.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

What am I looking at here? Musk sold all his tesla stock in the past few days?

That column says "top insider trading", does that mean he's doing something illegal

You can't just post a spreadsheet and not caption it :argh:

It suggests that Musk has had to sell $4bn of Tesla stock in the past week. For what purpose? Well, likely he owned someone who has the capacity to give his shins the hammer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hmm something seems off about suggesting a Jewish man is running things behind the scenes. Hmm I'm sure it'll come to me :thunkher:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Answers Me posted:

So is Mastodon going to be a viable alternative for people who need social media to promote their creative work

I don't think so.

The appeal of twitter is that any idiot can post (and call brit journalists dickheads) fairly easily. The bar to entry is low.

Mastadon seems too aimed at computer touchers and linux understanders. Very complicated, steep learning curve, high bar to entry.

At a brief glance it does seem sort of like a modern usenet which is cool, but I can't see it having the mass appeal of the bird app.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Hmm something seems off about suggesting a Jewish man is running things behind the scenes. Hmm I'm sure it'll come to me :thunkher:
I heard that Ed Miliband desecrates Christian altars by touching them with a bacon sandwich at night, then logs into an anonymous facebook account to post "u look like someone left a BNP councillor in a damp room" on Wes Streeting's wall.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Horizontal and not moving :pray:

I am having an existential crisis as I don't know whether to go "ooof" or "lmao". Maybe a bit of both?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Miliband doess better at PMQ's than Keir does.
So no wonder they want rid of him.
Can't shine brighter than our dull boy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

It suggests that Musk has had to sell $4bn of Tesla stock in the past week. For what purpose? Well, likely he owned someone who has the capacity to give his shins the hammer.

I mean hes sold more like 20billions worth this year, whats another 4?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

let's have some Chaos With Ed Miliband

Let the Party Burn

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1590600148643635201
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1590615241100066816

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think it's funny that Ed didn't serve in Corbyn's shadow cabinet & Kieth did & it's Ed who is the left-wing radical

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's funny how even when Labour go out of their way to not endorse strikes, the Tory press just say that they do anyway.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Continually amazed that Keir's reaction to stuff like this isn't "welp, might as well back the strikes since the torys will claim I do so regardless of the truth", and instead tries to oppose the very concept of striking even harder.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Noxville posted:

It's funny how even when Labour go out of their way to not endorse strikes, the Tory press just say that they do anyway.

Its why I increasingly feel the truth doesn't really matter so long as the media (mostly newspapers, but the general alliance between the Tories and most major outlets) continues to exist in its current form.

The power they have to dictate public narratives is almost impossible to work around, and whilst there are occasional shocks to the system (like Corbynism, Brexit fallout, Truss budget, Cost of Living/Inflation) that they can't immediately contain or control, eventually they are find an attack angle that sticks and are able to influence and change the public perception over time.

Regardless of what else they do, if Labour does get in and doesn't find a way to break the newspapers (preferably by forcing them into new ownership models so they can't have their editorial direction set by billionaire owners, maybe something based on a Trust model...) it will have all been for naught, as we'll simply be back in this situation again in a few years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/10/im-a-celebrity-mps-and-peers-vote-for-matt-hancock-to-do-grim-tasks-says-minister

quote:

A large number of politicians in parliament are voting for Matt Hancock to perform “grim” tasks on I’m A Celebrity, a senior minister has suggested.

After the former Conservative health secretary was pelted with sludge and insects on his first night in the Australian jungle, a former cabinet colleague said even technophobic peers back home in Britain were downloading an app used to vote contestants into performing gruesome “bushtucker trials”.

Immediately after Hancock joined the show on Wednesday, the public voted for the MP to face another grisly challenge the following day – named the “tentacles of terror”.

Chris Heaton-Harris, the Northern Ireland secretary, said that “quite a lot of people” in the Commons and Lords were taking to downloading the app, and added with a grin: “I’m not sure if that’s a good thing.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tigey posted:

Its why I increasingly feel the truth doesn't really matter so long as the media (mostly newspapers, but the general alliance between the Tories and most major outlets) continues to exist in its current form.

FWIW this is a principle of how fascism propagates. Replacing objective reality with subjective 'truth' and forcefully removing all that dare reject this subversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tories print a big poster saying "Keith Starmer eats all YOUR PIES" and all he can do is stamp his feet and squeal "no I don't! No I don't!!! I don't even like pies!!!!! I DON'T EAT PIES!!!!!!!!"