Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jeebus bob posted:

Continually amazed that Keir's reaction to stuff like this isn't "welp, might as well back the strikes since the torys will claim I do so regardless of the truth", and instead tries to oppose the very concept of striking even harder.

There needs to be handy terms for the two approaches to being called something you're not

"they keep calling me racist" -> "so I might as well be a racist" (we've seen this one a lot)

"they keep calling me a racist" -> "so I'll publically declare all racists should be burned at the stake without trial, along with their families" (is controversial enough to dominate the news cycle and immediately put to bed any idea that you support racists, a sort of dead cat gambit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH the former is the case of a spoon being called a spoon and then saying "well if you're going to CALL me a spoon"

And the latter is protesting too much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

There needs to be handy terms for the two approaches to being called something you're not

"they keep calling me racist" -> "so I might as well be a racist" (we've seen this one a lot)

"they keep calling me a racist" -> "so I'll publically declare all racists should be burned at the stake without trial, along with their families" (is controversial enough to dominate the news cycle and immediately put to bed any idea that you support racists, a sort of dead cat gambit)

Suggest "the Bors cycle" for the first one in honour of the OG

https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1027247065783574528?t=bvfjlOi4nmZrek2ZlrayBg&s=19

(Plus it sounds vaguely scientific)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

"the Bors cycle"

Differentiated from the Bohr model in that those that undergo the Bors cycle are not orbited by a minor but do the opposite,

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Suggest "the Bors cycle" for the first one in honour of the OG

isn't that when you side with Lancelot after his infidelity has been exposed?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's not it a cycle though.

"the Bors pipeline" maybe

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

It's not it a cycle though.

"the Bors pipeline" maybe

Yeah fair enough, "Bors transition", or what u said

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Bors worst

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Boers' worst

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

please do not post giant images of Epic Divorce Guy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It is just me or is there a notable decrease in poppy wearing this year?

More weird dioramas in supermarkets for sure, but I don't see that many people wearing them,

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wonder if it's a fallout from working from home becoming more common meaning less chance to come across a poppy seller or if the pandemic wiped out all the olds who'd sell them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

More weird dioramas in supermarkets for sure, but I don't see that many people wearing them,

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
When you are expected to pay a grand more from this winter onwards to stay warm, most may second think buying £2 pieces of plastic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

When you are expected to pay a grand more from this winter onwards to stay warm, most may second think buying £2 pieces of plastic.

Wow imagine being so selfish as to snub our brave boys just so you can stay alive. Our brave boys didn't get to stay alive did they? They died so that you can live, and now you mock their deaths by choosing to live??

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The nation pays touching tribute to the fallen of WW1 by collectively freezing to death over the winter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is there another city which properly respects the poppy and is in line to take over as capital?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

At least they'll always have the politicians market, who can be relied upon to always have poppies to show how much they care.

Maybe the British Legion or whoever it is could hire a strategic consultant (like me) to propose new revenue streams? More than one poppy = more respect for the war dead.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there another city which properly respects the poppy and is in line to take over as capital?

The race is on.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Microplastics posted:

Wow imagine being so selfish as to snub our brave boys just so you can stay alive. Our brave boys didn't get to stay alive did they? They died so that you can live, and now you mock their deaths by choosing to live??

I clapped for Captain Tom, and look where that got him!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Captain Tom didn't die just so some blue haired wokeerati could call me a poppy nonce on the computer.

Is this good?

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1590684904643182592?t=Adb-u5RlVdDD0ij7f4x8Zg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if jeremy corbyn had won then everybody would be on strike, that's why I'm glad I voted conservative

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

UK capital moved to Ballymena for maximum respect to British flag and British flower and British pile of British wooden pallets.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There is going to be a general strike soon I suspect.

A lot of the older people are still wearing them, the poppies, but I have seen a lot of people just not bother.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

if jeremy corbyn had won then everybody would be on strike, that's why I'm glad I voted conservative

*everyone is dead except for me*

Yeah but if corbyn got in I'd be dead too!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

They'll order him to call Corbyn something like "a demented spaz" as a test of loyalty during PMQ and when he refuses send Jess Flips in to knife him (in the front, literally figuratively)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

They'll order him to call Corbyn something like "a demented spaz" as a test of loyalty during PMQ and when he refuses send Jess Flips in to knife him (in the front, literally figuratively)

truly a reverse-Dolchstoß

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm wondering now if anyone will turn up to my wedding tomorrow wearing one. I kinda didn't even think about it when we chose the date.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I hope the officiant gets to "Do you, Mega Comrade, take Other Person to be your lawfully wedded spouse?" at exactly 11:11 and has you sweating.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm wondering now if anyone will turn up to my wedding tomorrow wearing one. I kinda didn't even think about it when we chose the date.

Carefully crafting it so that the vicar says "speak now or forever hold your peace" just as the clock hits 11:00 and one frustrated guy at the back has to sit there in silence, a single tear rolling down his face

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skulker posted:

I hope the officiant gets to "Do you, Mega Comrade, take Other Person to be your lawfully wedded spouse?" at exactly 11:11 and has you sweating.

god loving drat it

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Was in a pub in Quebec last week drinking beer and eating poutine and they had a local ice hockey discussion thing on the TV, and every one of the french speaking hockey guys talking in an incomprehensible accent was wearing a poppy. Unexpected.
Nobody in the pub was, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Move the capital of the UK to Saguenay, replace Parliament with the Canadiens. It is the only way to ensure the paper flower is respected.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

Have fun! I'm thoroughly enjoying being married a few weeks now. Do not Ponder the Poppy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Move the capital to Kabul, they love and kiss the poppy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

I think it's funny that Ed didn't serve in Corbyn's shadow cabinet & Kieth did & it's Ed who is the left-wing radical
Kieth went undercover to stop Corbyn from dragging the country to Russia, while Red Ed is such a radical leftist that he thought Corbyn was too right wing.

Rappaport posted:

Let's gameyfy twitter! With your GOLD SPECIAL PLUS subscription, just $9.99 a week for your first 6 weeks, lifetime subscription included you will receive a +13 MODIFIER to your SICK ICE BURN ROLLS when tweeting witty insults to your CELEBRITY POSTING ENEMIES! Our new AI PHRASING COMPANION will ensure your ENEMIES will be PWNED and/or DEVASTATED by your new, increased POSTING POWER! Sign up today! Elon loves you!

And given that current AI technology invariably turns into an incredibly racist monstrosity, this would appeal directly to Twitter's core market base. poo poo, hire me Elon, we can still fix this
You joke, but I think you could actually do this. The algorithm puts your account level up against the person you're replying to, then makes sure your tweet is put in front of like-minded posters and posting enemies in a ratio that matches the ratio between your account levels.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

UK capital moved to Ballymena for maximum respect to British flag and British flower and British pile of British wooden pallets.

Dunclug deserves all that it gets. :colbert:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Answers Me posted:

So is Mastodon going to be a viable alternative for people who need social media to promote their creative work, or is it just methadone for the people addicted to saying whatever will Make Number Go Higher?

Everything I know about Mastodon and how it works points to the answer to this question being, unfortunately, just the following: "lol"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jaete posted:

Everything I know about Mastodon and how it works points to the answer to this question being, unfortunately, just the following: "lol"

:same:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Traditions die off, either by ennui or by some other war being more relevant.

In Northern Ireland the poppy always signified loyalty to the British crown instead of some overly-politicized "recognition" of the long dead, so we never had to wear it.

If I see someone wearing it on the street I'm not going to tell them they shouldn't, but I will quietly think they wasted their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The navy still observes Trafalgar Day, they do a remembrance thing on board HMS Victory. I assume they'll keep doing that as long as there's a navy, because they're definitely not doing it for anyone that lived through it any more, it's been added to the continuing body of traditions of the service.

Most of the general public couldn't even tell you what day that was though, it's definitely not part of the general body of accepted knowledge any more.

I can see similar happening with Armistice Day/Remembrance Day, the armed forces will keep observing it, but it will slowly detach from the public side.

That or it'll become one of those American-style 'holidays' where it's all about mattress stores declaring war on high prices and storming the beaches of double spring comfort! Adverts with guys dressed as WWI Tommies happy that they have a mattress in their trench.

I hope that doesn't happen though.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1590704635433844737