Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

big black turnout posted:

Hello NHL thread I moved last year to a city with a hockey team, went to a game, and fell in love with watching sports for the first time in my life. Unfortunately for me that team was the San Jose Sharks

If your name is Sam, DM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Sorry no :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

See canucks are being smart, can't lose the lead if you never had it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
nucks baby

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

heehee posted:

nucks baby

All I ask is for the team to get few standings points and for players I like on the team to get many individual points.

They are doing well at that so far.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
100 points for ep, 60 goals for horvat, 10 wins on the season. let's goooooo

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the Canadiens now stand at 7-6-1. It took until game 31 last year to get their 7th win. They were, at one point, 7-25-5. That means the Canadiens could lose their next 23 games, and still have the same amount of wins after 37 games. They were apparently 8-33-7 at some point.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/status/1590559926698795009?s=46&t=JpR3L4fdKr2Z1MGC63FbOA

Potential goal of the year got called back due to an offside review lmao

What a league

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MononcQc posted:

the Canadiens now stand at 7-6-1. It took until game 31 last year to get their 7th win. They were, at one point, 7-25-5. That means the Canadiens could lose their next 23 games, and still have the same amount of wins after 37 games. They were apparently 8-33-7 at some point.

Playing their way out of the Bedard lottery but I don’t mind it too much.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Playing their way out of the Bedard lottery but I don’t mind it too much.

This team is the most fun it's been in forever. Seeing the Caufield-Suzuki-Dach line reminds of the 07-08 Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev line in how it feels they can get one in at any moment. There's still a big Carey-shaped hole in my heart, though. :smith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps-Pens was a pale facsimile of its former glory, though it did get nasty in a way that was on-brand I guess. The Caps were injuring Pens quickly enough to get them down to 3 D at one point and still couldn't score. And Kuemper finally had a stinker of a game.

It's not easy to get hyped for a team with $40M on the IR and running out Sonny Milano and Nicolas Aube-Kubel on the regs. (And no McMichael!)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/status/1590559926698795009?s=46&t=JpR3L4fdKr2Z1MGC63FbOA

What a league

Torts, scowling: Good!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

What a league

Yea that sucked. The rules are the rules but that offsides call was one of those where the player who was offside had no effect on the play and was offside by like the smallest of technicalities, and them being offside didn't have anything to do with the goal that was scored. I've always thought they should tweak the rule so that someone being a millisecond ahead of the play (which is what happened here) while technically offsides, wouldn't get called. Obviously we don't want players cherry picking, but does Player A being across the line .004 seconds before the puck crosses actually impact the game? I don't think it does.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Technically correct is the worst kind of correct when you're stopping a game after one of the coolest moments in recent memory.

Abolish offside reviews.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/1590711232386170881

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens win hooray. Still giant problems with the defense and 4th line. Part of it is usage part of it is personnel. It seems after the big reshuffle this off-season it's more deck chairs on the Titanic than improvement. Thankfully DeSmith had a strong game and Darcy did not.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Technically correct is the worst kind of correct when you're stopping a game after one of the coolest moments in recent memory.

Abolish offside reviews.

I said it in the GDT and I’ll say it again. Offside is offside. You don’t change how it’s called because it was a pretty goal. That’s an unequal application of a very clear rule that they just changed so players aren’t having to drag their feet on the line. Which is cool and good because they’re not in the zone ahead of the puck.

But there’s a very literal line for it here and as soon as it starts being subjective instead of objective you’re opening it up for interpretation and the Tim Peels of the world to mess with outcomes. Is it a bummer that the highlight reel goal was called back because they were in early? Sure, but it’s the same as the puck clearly over the goal line the other night in the NYR v NYI game. If it had been conclusively over the line it’s a goal; if it’s not, it’s not a goal. Subjective refereeing would make this much worse.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If you can't tell the difference between a puck not going over the goal line and a goal called off because it was scored like 30 seconds after a barely offsides play or called off because a guy being offside who had nothing to do with the play then lol

Also we're talking about ice hockey, one of the most inconsistently refereed sports in the world. The standard of interference/hooking/holding that is allowed from game to game is insanely volatile and effects the game (and more importantly the quality of the game) to a much greater degree.

At most offsides should only be reviewable within 10 seconds of the offsides and only if the offsides player is directly involved in the scoring play. That or abolish it. There's nothing subjective about either of those solutions. Everyone will get hosed equally and we'll get rid of the tediousness of every piece of poo poo coach looking at his ipad after every cool goal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
lol everything else in refereeing is subjective, if I wanted to sit around and watch rules wrangling instead of sport I’d watch the NFL.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils scored a lovely grindy goal that was called off 29 seconds after an offsides against Calgary. It's such an awful rule

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

T-Bone posted:

The Devils scored a lovely grindy goal that was called off 29 seconds after an offsides against Calgary. It's such an awful rule

nah it's good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

nah it's good

example of a good review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDmq_Yc6s0

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I've said it before, but "it didn't even affect the play!" is an indictment of the player going offside, not the rule. The blueline has been there for these players' entire lives, the rule is very simple and straightforward, the NHL even made reviews more lenient this year by switching to the plane instead of skate on the ice. There's no reason for a player to jump the play, it's as undisciplined as a puck over the glass or an unintentional icing, and we should look at it that way.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

I'm not opening this and assuming it's got something to do with Blake Coleman

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/arhockeystats/status/1590720950219247616?s=46&t=KBrXxIVmPHu5k_jhNhE7Nw

Kid played out of his mind last night, was worth braving a hurricane for!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

I've said it before, but "it didn't even affect the play!" is an indictment of the player going offside, not the rule. The blueline has been there for these players' entire lives, the rule is very simple and straightforward, the NHL even made reviews more lenient this year by switching to the plane instead of skate on the ice. There's no reason for a player to jump the play, it's as undisciplined as a puck over the glass or an unintentional icing, and we should look at it that way.

Yea but being milliseconds ahead of the play, especially when the puck is in motion, is not an indication of being undisciplined. If it's blatantly offside, the player has been standing flat footed in the zone well before the puck crossed, or obviously crossed seconds before the puck did, then obviously it shouldn't count even if the player had no effect on the scoring play. But in a case like this where there's like a centimeter of space between the player's skate and the blue line before the puck crosses, I think thats nitpicky.

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 10, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

I'm not opening this and assuming it's got something to do with Blake Coleman

For the like the past 15 years, every time I've turned on NHL network during the day they've been replaying the 1994 ECF.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ive never complained about reffing in my life except for once when Martin Gelinas got crosschecked in the face, while on his knees, in the playoffs between the Oilers and the North Stars in 1991 and they didn't call it and my dad and I realized the whole thing was fixed, to end the glorious Oilers dynasty and try and help the North Stars stay in Minnesota, and I asked him if I was allowed to huck a full rear end cup of pop onto the ice at the ref and he said sure.

This is the second time I'm going to complain: the officiating in general seems to be getting kind of bad and way more game managementy than it ever was before - and brother let me tell you it was pretty that way before

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/arhockeystats/status/1590720950219247616?s=46&t=KBrXxIVmPHu5k_jhNhE7Nw

Kid played out of his mind last night, was worth braving a hurricane for!

imagine the depth the Panthers could have if they didn't give Bob that insane contract. They're paying almost 15m for goaltending the next three years :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea but being milliseconds ahead of the play, especially when the puck is in motion, is not an indication of being undisciplined. If it's blatantly offside, the player has been standing flat footed in the zone well before the puck crossed, or obviously crossed seconds before the puck did, then obviously it shouldn't count even if the player had no effect on the scoring play. But in a case like this where there's like a centimeter of space between the player's skate and the blue line before the puck crosses, I think thats nitpicky.

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

I think this is why humans calling offsides in real time is the way to go. It will catch the blatant bullshit and the rules lawyer crap that needs high resolution slow mo cameras to determine can gently caress off forever.

The game is wayyyy more fun when there's human error in the officiating.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah, you don't want a goal overturned? Don't go offside. It's entirely in the player's control and "I just cheated a little" isn't an excuse. These aren't 5-year olds flying ovet the line because they literally don't know how to stop. That said, I think the review standards should be changed/enforced so that it's just clear and obvious mistakes that get overturned.

Like just 1 live speed look each from ice level and the overhead (maybe reverse angle of the on-ice if available). If it's not obvious from that, call on ice stands. Gets rid of blatant errors and doesn't gently caress up game flow that much. If it takes piecing together 4 different shots going frame by frame to see, it's not a fuckup on the ice.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

In the past couple games I've noticed some pretty crazy non-calls - some fuckin Flame catching the puck in the d zone out of the air and straight up Tom Bradying it down the ice or the funny one the other day after Foegele blasted some bitch in the numbers and the other lightning dude got mad and confused and dropped the gloves and started wailing on Kailer Yamamoto who had gently caress all to do with it with no call.

Anyway if youre gonna no call that poo poo (fine, whatever, I'd wail the gently caress out of Yamamoto too that would be fun as poo poo) then having this whole weird rear end other mechanism to call goals and poo poo back via time travel and toe position that seems not great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Golden Man posted:

I'd wail the gently caress out of Yamamoto too that would be fun as poo poo

mods new thread title please

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Ive never complained about reffing in my life except for once when Martin Gelinas got crosschecked in the face, while on his knees, in the playoffs between the Oilers and the North Stars in 1991 and they didn't call it and my dad and I realized the whole thing was fixed, to end the glorious Oilers dynasty and try and help the North Stars stay in Minnesota, and I asked him if I was allowed to huck a full rear end cup of pop onto the ice at the ref and he said sure.

This is the second time I'm going to complain: the officiating in general seems to be getting kind of bad and way more game managementy than it ever was before - and brother let me tell you it was pretty that way before

NHL refs just have no balls to actually call games. It all has to be game managed so that no team gets an unfair amount of powerplays. God forbid we let like Connor McDavid get a bunch of powerplays that wouldn't be fair.

Koopa Kid posted:

I just really don't like the offsides calls where it happened like 45 seconds ago and it stops a cool goal from being scored. And I absolutely despise how every goal is scored there's a coach just hunched over the bench looking at a replay to see if they can challenge. It takes all the air out of goals being scored because you're always sitting there half wondering if someone was offsides by a millimeter a minute and a half ago.

It's also an indictment of NHL linesmen how often goals get overturned because they're unable to properly call offsides in real time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These stupid challenges are also taking all the fun out of people spending an entire off season whining about how the refs hosed them. Leafs fans are still upset about the Gretzky non call and that rules

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I could sit here and pull up a bunch of examples of missed offside calls changing the game negatively, including ones that previously couldn't have been reviewed. But I'll just drop the one for the FAS.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/a-coachs-challenge-might-have-changed-history-for-flyers-and-pat-quinn

Offside is offside. No one cares about the fractions when it doesn't impact the game with a goal. It's only checked when it's changed the game by the puck going in the net illegally. When one player on your team is in early, the whole team is put offside, that's how it works and applying the rules correctly is something we should hope the officials do. The whole reason it's there is so that some teams don't get an advantage that other teams did not.

Penalties I'm 100% in agreement that they're incredibly subjective most of the time. It's not good enough. But we don't need to insert that subjectivity into something that has a line painted on the ice. Offside is offside, and the whole of the puck must cross the whole of the line. If the Ducks had scored a normal looking goal no one would really be caring that much about this.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
you don't have to pretend to be in favor of offsides just because Zegras scored a sick as hell goal on the team you're a fan of

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't watch hockey to watch rule enforcement. For me, hockey is an entertainment product, and it's far more entertaining watching teams play hockey rather than watching them spend five minutes sitting on the bench while Toronto looks at replays. Challenges completely kill the fun of the sport and destroy the pace of the game which is usually breakneck fast. I would be perfectly fine going back to the pre-challenge days and letting the Matt Duchene vs. the Predators goal happen every 1,000 games rather than having teams taking 1-2 goals a game off the board for extremely nebulous rule-breaking.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

you don't have to pretend to be in favor of offsides just because Zegras scored a sick as hell goal on the team you're a fan of

I am always a fan of offsides being called clearly and correctly. It's the least ambiguous part of the game along with seeing if the puck crossed the goal line. I can dig up as many more as you'd like.

Here's one you might remember where the review worked in favor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePov14LxKVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If the league gave a poo poo they could have spent $10M+ on an automatic instant offside video review system instead of the garbage rear end virtual board ads.