Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Randalor posted:

Part of me would love to know his thought process behind that tweet thing. The same part that wants to break out the popcorn, stare into the abyss and wave when it stares back.

There's a real argument underneath there that the GOP is much wiser to go with Trump because their only hope of winning in 2024 is to drive turnout like Trump did in 2020, there's no evidence Desantis could revive the weird coalition of Trump voters many of whom never voted before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kalit posted:

If this is true, I bet he's pissed that he didn't announce it the eve of election night

And you have to wonder, if he'd said he was running on Monday, would that have driven even MORE people out to the polls to vote against all his shitbird candidates or what?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

nine-gear crow posted:

And you have to wonder, if he'd said he was running on Monday, would that have driven even MORE people out to the polls to vote against all his shitbird candidates or what?

TBH, I doubt it would have made a difference.

But then if he loses in 2024, he could have used the underwhelming performance of the 2022 midterms dampening his glorious announcement as an [additional] excuse.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 10, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
God willing, one of DOJ/NY/GA has Trump in jail for 2024.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Silly Burrito posted:

God willing, one of DOJ/NY/GA has Trump in jail for 2024.
Brief pedantry: This would certainly alter his campaign operation, but neither conviction nor incarceration would render him ineligible for office, even under the ResistDemKrassenstein (or Laurence Tribe) reading of 18 U.S.C § 2071.

Congress (for obvious reasons) can't make a law restricting someone's eligibility for president beyond what exists in the constitution.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

He can run if he's indicted or in jail, but yesterday basically showed us that would be futile. That would be absolutely disastrous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FishBulbia posted:

All trump had to do was say it was a chinese bioweapon and chuds would still be walking around in p100 full face respirators

He pretty much did. Thing is that the messaging is one thing, but chuds literally cannot accept the idea that they have to take personal responsibility or even the minimum level of basic caution in the face of an actual threat.

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you talking about talk radio? Because this is not remotely close to being true. They loving love the dude and one guy I caught today was actually ragging on DOnald for loving this Red Wave up for the GOP, much to my suprise.

Truth. Trump said it because everything has to be about him, plain and simple. No one else, especially another MAGA weirdo, is permitted to be popular or well like without his permission and anyone who is is because of him or something he said/did.

Anyone familiar with pro wrestling understands this, Vince McMahon, Trump's actual friend and possible half-brother, has spent years strangling half his talent in the crib because he can't abide anyone becoming popular without him making it so.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DeSantis using his weather machine to go after Trump.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1590469987806109696

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
If Trump dies from a hurricane this week that would be extremely poetic.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

God punishing Florida for its election sins.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Youth Decay posted:

I'm not saying I want Trump to die in a hurricane surrounded by all the remaining evidence of his many crimes which we know drat well the DoJ hasn't gotten all of but I forgot how I was going to finish this sentence.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jaxyon posted:

I'd say I hope that this election made it clear that the "lets overturn the election" poo poo was a political loser, but I know in my heart it's not going to.

eh nothing in politics is ever a clear final victory or defeat, but this was clearly a major shift from 2020 and I'm happy to see American institutions and ~the peaceful transfer of power~ get a dub

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Twitter will last long enough for them to get around to selling red check marks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mizaq posted:

I wonder if Twitter will last long enough for them to get around to selling red check marks.

Green check marks to round it out.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm saving up for those inevitable yellow stars.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

At least the midterms are over and indictment watch is in full effect now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Is this that "red wave" they're talking about?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kalit posted:

If this is true, I bet he's pissed that he didn't announce it the eve of election night

That would have pushed up the Dem turnout enough to at least flip the WI senate seat and a few more house seats.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

aventari posted:

I'm saving up for those inevitable yellow stars.
No, orange stars. Yellow moons. Green clovers and blue diamonds!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

I'm not saying I want Trump to die in a hurricane surrounded by all the remaining evidence of his many crimes which we know drat well the DoJ hasn't gotten all of but I forgot how I was going to finish this sentence.

You wouldn't want him to die in a hurricane because that would be him getting away too easy. Now, rendered homeless, even just temporarily, as the hurricane scours his property from the face of the planet? I'm fine with that.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Isn't there a clause in the contract for MarLaGo that Trump can't live there?

Rich people almost always escape justice unless they are harming other rich people. I have a feeling nothing is going to happen to Trump but a slap on the wrist if that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ManBoyChef posted:

Isn't there a clause in the contract for MarLaGo that Trump can't live there?

Rich people almost always escape justice unless they are harming other rich people. I have a feeling nothing is going to happen to Trump but a slap on the wrist if that.

They're beyond the concept of laws or contracts

quote:

Town officials in Palm Beach, Florida, will not block former President Donald Trump from living at his club Mar-a-Lago, the Palm Beach Daily News reported Friday, after residents in the town had objected to Trump moving in after he left the White House due to the terms of the 1993 agreement establishing the club.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/05/07/trump-can-legally-live-at-mar-a-lago-palm-beach-says/?sh=1e2ed9906046

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Zotix posted:

At least the midterms are over and indictment watch is in full effect now.
Heads up: Biden’s rhetoric has changed after the midterms to be “We need to look forwards, not backwards. We need to heal the country.”

This is the same rhetoric used when Obama stopped the Iraq War investigations on the Bush Administration.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It would be pretty funny if the town regulations of Palm Beach ended up being the only laws of God or man that could bind Donald Trump though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Good news, looks like inflation may be decreasing:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/11/10/business/inflation-cpi-report

Inflation went from 8.2% annual to 7.7% annual, it was projected to go to 7.9%. So even better than expected. Wished it happened a lil’ earlier.

Not looking forward to the winter tho.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Heads up: Biden’s rhetoric has changed after the midterms to be “We need to look forwards, not backwards. We need to heal the country.”
Is there a source for this quote?

In Dems Republicans in Disarray news:
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1590703319240298496
The House Freedom Caucus seeks to enshrine the unofficial policy of the House's most famous child predator unless, apparently, it conflicts with their other goal: getting to force a vote on anything that half of their membership agrees to cosponsor.

There are many flaws with the relatively recent emergence of the strong speaker structure in the House but this is the Freedom Caucus opening the (potential) speakership contest with a demand that the speaker cede most of their negotiating power off the jump and the right to force their colleagues into damaging votes on irrelevant and unpassable amendments at any time. Fuller doesn't highlight this in the tweet but don't sleep on the motion to vacate either. Been a minute since American Parliament has had the ability to table a vote of no confidence.

The reason people are talking about the potential chaos of a slim majority is this: Even if you assume that 75% Tortilla Coasters are all bark and no bite and aren't willing to let absolutely everything burn to get their way, the remaining quarter of the caucus can easily deny the votes necessary to be named speaker (or pass any bill without Dem support). If the speaker candidate does agree to the extortionate demands, he (or she?) can look forward to every military spending bill including an amendment the house must vote on to rename all the renamed confederate bases after the patriotic political prisoners of January 6. On the other hand, if the 218-217 scenario comes to pass, Newhouse and Valadao could kill all GOP-only legislation unless they're promised that only Republicans who didn't oppose impeachment are allowed in leadership. More realistically: If two whip candidates each find one ally who refuses to vote for the speaker unless their buddy is named whip, there's no speaker. The outgroup homogenity that fuels the myth of GOP uniformity is about to get a real asskicking if they do manage to scrape a house majority.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Assuming the Dems don't pull off a miracle on top of a miracle and eke a one-seat majority, the parliamentary chaos the next two years are likely to hold is a delightful silver lining. A strong leader with a disciplined caucus would absolutely prefer a tiny majority to a tiny minority, even if they'd have to buy a two year supply of antacid in advance. For failson like McCarthy, that calculus is a lot harder.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The GOP whip Scalise is already making a move for the seat and they don't even officially have the majority, so yeah, McCarthy is going to have a fun two years

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 10, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If the freedom caucus nutjobs take over de-facto (or actual) control of the house leadership won't that just allow for defections for R's in swing districts or Rs in D+ districts?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

davecrazy posted:

If the freedom caucus nutjobs take over de-facto (or actual) control of the house leadership won't that just allow for defections for R's in swing districts or Rs in D+ districts?
The same dynamics that give the Freedom Caucus the ability to pick their leadership does the same for the wouldbe defectors. No reason to switch parties when you can just tell the Freedom Caucus to gently caress off and try again. The bigger question (that I've not seen anyone look into in the updated environment) is if there are any Republicans in states where Dem governors can appoint a replacement. The old "trick" of giving a cabinet position to opposing members is probably ineffective at this point thanks to Sessions very publicly experiencing the downside of the trade (it's for an atwill position), but if there are 1-3 congresscritters who'd trade a purple seat in a blue state for a lifetime appointment to the federal judiciary....

I'd actually need to think on that more. A 1:1 trade of conservative house member for lifetime conservative judge is very bad for Dems in a vacuum, but the merits may change when it means flipping the House.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

davecrazy posted:

Yes, that's the fun of it: if you appease the squishy vulnerable Republicans (like, say, the ones who narrowly won in NYS districts that a competent Dem could easily take in 2024), you risk your screaming death cultists grinding everything to a halt or worse in a fit of pique. Vice versa, too, although the vulnerable Republicans are probably more likely to just block things and less likely to do big showy gently caress-you things. If there's one thing Kevin McCarthy is almost certainly glad of right now, it's that they'll probably still have a Democratic Senate to send their bills to die, which will make it somewhat easier to get rebellious Reps on board for show votes on dumb things.

e: oh, no, nobody's switching parties, but on a vote by vote basis? Imagine four Joe Manchins on the edge of a caucus.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The markets have spiked up a lot today due to the October CPI coming in lower than expected.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/treasury-yields-dip-ahead-of-consumer-inflation-report.html

I think we've gone into detail about how gamed the CPI is as a measurement, but the Democrats still could have used this news last week.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

The same dynamics that give the Freedom Caucus the ability to pick their leadership does the same for the wouldbe defectors. No reason to switch parties when you can just tell the Freedom Caucus to gently caress off and try again. The bigger question (that I've not seen anyone look into in the updated environment) is if there are any Republicans in states where Dem governors can appoint a replacement. The old "trick" of giving a cabinet position to opposing members is probably ineffective at this point thanks to Sessions very publicly experiencing the downside of the trade (it's for an atwill position), but if there are 1-3 congresscritters who'd trade a purple seat in a blue state for a lifetime appointment to the federal judiciary....

I'd actually need to think on that more. A 1:1 trade of conservative house member for lifetime conservative judge is very bad for Dems in a vacuum, but the merits may change when it means flipping the House.

The big difference is that for the first time in as long as I can remember there's a meaningful push for Rs to move towards the center (or at least not openly wage war on women and democracy). The brinksmanship calculus was different when the question was just 'right or even more right?'

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The big difference is that for the first time in as long as I can remember there's a meaningful push for Rs to move towards the center (or at least not openly wage war on women and democracy). The brinksmanship calculus was different when the question was just 'right or even more right?'
You may be right but I generally see the Republican "split" less in culture war right/center and more in a difference between obstruction and a proactive agenda. With the margins so slim, the few true culture warriors and the few remaining "socially liberal, fiscally conservative":jerkbag:s could disrupt things all by themselves, but I think the controlling dynamic is the same as what spared us the Grand Bargain, choked on the AHCA and showed up on stage in 2012 with the primary question about the ratio of tax increases and spending cuts.

There's been nothing to indicate to me that the party has even started to shift towards "we'll let Democrats get a thing if it means we'll get ten bigger things". Until that happens, I don't see a change in brinksmanship culture.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'd argue that it isn't a culture shift it's that the writing is on the wall about what makes you viable and what kills your campaign dead in competitive districts.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Is there a source for this quote?

In Dems Republicans in Disarray news:
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1590703319240298496
The House Freedom Caucus seeks to enshrine the unofficial policy of the House's most famous child predator unless, apparently, it conflicts with their other goal: getting to force a vote on anything that half of their membership agrees to cosponsor.

There are many flaws with the relatively recent emergence of the strong speaker structure in the House but this is the Freedom Caucus opening the (potential) speakership contest with a demand that the speaker cede most of their negotiating power off the jump and the right to force their colleagues into damaging votes on irrelevant and unpassable amendments at any time. Fuller doesn't highlight this in the tweet but don't sleep on the motion to vacate either. Been a minute since American Parliament has had the ability to table a vote of no confidence.

The reason people are talking about the potential chaos of a slim majority is this: Even if you assume that 75% Tortilla Coasters are all bark and no bite and aren't willing to let absolutely everything burn to get their way, the remaining quarter of the caucus can easily deny the votes necessary to be named speaker (or pass any bill without Dem support). If the speaker candidate does agree to the extortionate demands, he (or she?) can look forward to every military spending bill including an amendment the house must vote on to rename all the renamed confederate bases after the patriotic political prisoners of January 6. On the other hand, if the 218-217 scenario comes to pass, Newhouse and Valadao could kill all GOP-only legislation unless they're promised that only Republicans who didn't oppose impeachment are allowed in leadership. More realistically: If two whip candidates each find one ally who refuses to vote for the speaker unless their buddy is named whip, there's no speaker. The outgroup homogenity that fuels the myth of GOP uniformity is about to get a real asskicking if they do manage to scrape a house majority.

https://youtu.be/eSdukteb9k8

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
An unlisted video that has nothing to do with Biden or Politics?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If Trump dies from a hurricane this week that would be extremely poetic.

Insh'allah

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

An unlisted video that has nothing to do with Biden or Politics?

Whoops one second, YouTube must’ve stuck an ad url in my clipboard

Edit: https://youtu.be/61fPzTdjhgI

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alex Jones just ordered to pay another 473 million to Sandy Hook families, breaking on WaPo.