Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

DJExile posted:

mods new thread title please

yeah I'm still chuckling at that... jesus Wayne, post more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

They should just get rid of the offside rule who gives a poo poo

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
one way would also be to eliminate the forward pass that i, as a traditionalist, must advocate

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

If the question is "how do we get fans less mad and protect the integrity of the game-watching experience" then I think adding subjectivity into what is right now a very clear rule isn't the way

Ginette Reno posted:

I just really don't like the offsides calls where it happened like 45 seconds ago and it stops a cool goal from being scored. And I absolutely despise how every goal is scored there's a coach just hunched over the bench looking at a replay to see if they can challenge. It takes all the air out of goals being scored because you're always sitting there half wondering if someone was offsides by a millimeter a minute and a half ago.

It's also an indictment of NHL linesmen how often goals get overturned because they're unable to properly call offsides in real time.

It loving sucks when all that happens, I'm not trying to say it's good. I'm just saying that the player who went offside 45 seconds before a goal was scored should share a lot more of the blame than they do currently.

Like, it's odd that when one of these goals gets called back everyone immediately wants the league to change a fundamental rule of the game, or take away their ability to call it correctly, instead of just posting about how some random forward is a dumbass for making a bad play

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Theres multiple things to enjoy about hockey. On one hand you have sick poo poo like different various clappers, guys getting their groin speared and rolling around crying, beaking off, guys going around fast like race cars and deking guys asses off, tackling, punching each other, blowing up the goalie and he might be dead, etc., etc., and on the other hand you have correct accuracy of technical verified via forensic review in offsite HQ using advanced technique and we just wait for it and look at the wall being calm and silent while rule violation is correctly verified. and Theyre equally important to the enjoyment of the game

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Just reviewing it on goal scoring plays is already subjective though, it's a very specific review interpretation. It's not reviewed on plays that lead to a penalty, or a defensive zone draw, or for any other reason. rear end in a top hat 1's offside that leads a to a defensive zone penalty that leads to a goal is gonna count 100% of the time.

So if you're already allowing for some amount of subjectivity, then it would be very easy to limit offsides reviews to plays that directly lead to a goal. IE - player is involved in the scoring play and the goal is within 10 seconds of the offsides. That or get rid of it because who gives a poo poo I'm sick of seeing Sutter hunched over his bench like a goblin looking into an ipad

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The whole point of the offsides rule is to eliminate cherry picking, not if a dude mistimes a zone entry by half a second

I don't know how to rewrite the rule where a bad zone entry isn't offside anymore, but it would be better I think

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also and this is just anecdotal but I'm pretty sure linesmen are leaning way the gently caress more into "this is onside" because of the review rule, knowing that if they're wrong it's gonna get fixed anyway so why prevent a scoring play?

I guess one of the few game flow benefits from this dumb rear end review system

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The whole point of the offsides rule is to eliminate cherry picking, not if a dude mistimes a zone entry by half a second

I don't know how to rewrite the rule where a bad zone entry isn't offside anymore, but it would be better I think

They do that in soccer with an offside position or an offside offense. It leads to more arguments than having a line painted on the ice does.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

xzzy posted:

The game is wayyyy more fun when there's human error in the officiating.

Explain this one to me because I absolutely don’t agree on the face of it.

Edit: the review process in all sports sucks but it could actually be made good if the leagues didn’t insist on making it in to a theatrical production.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The offside rule exists because of that time Matt Duchene was literally 6 feet offside.

The stuff that gets called back was perfectly fine before and nobody cared. The Colorado Avalanche ruined hockey.

Also lol no, NHL players have not been taught to respect the line their whole lives. Until they get to the pros there are no resources to manage that well, you cheat the lines all the time. If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
you should only get 10-15 seconds after a goal is scored to make a challenge. it happened in the Leafs-Knights game the other night that the refs kept going over to Bruce Cassidy seeing if he wanted to challenge, him taking a timeout and then deciding not to challenge. boring as hell! make the decision to challenge if you think it’s a close play or get out of here already!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
As a predators fan, I personally am the biggest victim on earth of the egregious Duchene offsides and imo it was hilarious.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There should be a hard line for the rule but if a review takes longer than 60 seconds just stick to the call on the ice. If it takes that much effort to decide if the call was correct you're not 100% anyway

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Replay official gets 30 seconds to watch the replay a couple times at real time speed. If it's not 100.00% obvious the call was wrong then it stands and we all move on with our lives.

That's the obvious and natural way to do it. No sport does it. The owners it's better for their financial interests to do it the way they're doing it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

It loving sucks when all that happens, I'm not trying to say it's good. I'm just saying that the player who went offside 45 seconds before a goal was scored should share a lot more of the blame than they do currently.

Like, it's odd that when one of these goals gets called back everyone immediately wants the league to change a fundamental rule of the game, or take away their ability to call it correctly, instead of just posting about how some random forward is a dumbass for making a bad play

I guess my contention is that being offsides by like 0.2 seconds isn't "a bad play". It's totally within reason and oftentimes no one can say the player is offside until they dissect the video from multiple angles. Being 6 feet offside is a bad play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Explain this one to me because I absolutely don’t agree on the face of it.

Edit: the review process in all sports sucks but it could actually be made good if the leagues didn’t insist on making it in to a theatrical production.

Because sports are an analog thing and humans are imperfect, there's variance in every play. Rules are important to define the structure of the sport and prevents it from turning into calvinball, but despite everyone generally trying to follow those rules fuckups will happen and the officiating should tolerate human variability.

Screeching the action to a halt so a crew can squint at a looping clip is a waste of everyone's time. It's unrealistic to expect centimeter precision from athletes, and the officiating shouldn't be centimeter accurate either. If a ref can't spot offsides at game speed then I opine it has no impact on the outcome of the game.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1590741123114631168?t=psaiXpeXR340d2SfppVgrA&s=19

:allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLnVgyeUD0

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I just want goddamn consistency. legitimately agree that offsides should just be fine. you should be allowed to slash one person as hard as you can per game.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/citizenkwarren/status/1590767492468998147?s=46&t=5ypyFtMuOcj2mF9I0pbb-w

Weird seeing a Blues legend working for another org

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're sister organizations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Golden Man posted:

In the past couple games I've noticed some pretty crazy non-calls - some fuckin Flame catching the puck in the d zone out of the air and straight up Tom Bradying it down the ice or the funny one the other day after Foegele blasted some bitch in the numbers and the other lightning dude got mad and confused and dropped the gloves and started wailing on Kailer Yamamoto who had gently caress all to do with it with no call.

Anyway if youre gonna no call that poo poo (fine, whatever, I'd wail the gently caress out of Yamamoto too that would be fun as poo poo) then having this whole weird rear end other mechanism to call goals and poo poo back via time travel and toe position that seems not great

Twice in the panthers game, McCarron dropped the gloves and throwing fists against someone who wasn't fighting him, one against someone who wasn't expecting it.

One was over a completely missed hit because the guy fell before he got hit.

Yeah, okay, keep your fighting when both players are up to it, but if a 6'6" dude drops the gloves and starts wailing on people when he gets mad, that seems like more than a 2 minute roughing problem.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

alright that's pretty good

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cherry picking kicks rear end tho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Give each team a designated cherry picker but they're only onside if it's a tape to tape 3 line pass.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mennoknight posted:

I just want goddamn consistency. legitimately agree that offsides should just be fine. you should be allowed to slash one person as hard as you can per game.

A 'fair call' rule, but for violence.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Charlie McAvoy is back for the Bruins, which is great because they weren't good enough already.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Aphrodite posted:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

This rules.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

tarbrush posted:

I've been very impressed with Cassidy. He's been good about trying new things a few at a time and reverting if they're not working (broke up the Misfits and then put them back together). His defensive system is limiting other teams to outside shots and also generating a lot of turnovers.

Just need to juice the powerplay now.

I'm glad that a lot of the things that were up in the air before the season started (Stone's back surgery, Eichel's top end after his surgery, Lehner being out, trading Patches away, new coach/system) went right so far.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Cherry picking kicks rear end tho

I agree, but the NHL doesn't

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

As a predators fan, I personally am the biggest victim on earth of the egregious Duchene offsides and imo it was hilarious.

I will never not be mad about game 1 of the 2017 Cup Finals.

Enterprise must have opened an office in New Jersey.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess my contention is that being offsides by like 0.2 seconds isn't "a bad play". It's totally within reason and oftentimes no one can say the player is offside until they dissect the video from multiple angles. Being 6 feet offside is a bad play.

We expect players to be in control of their bodies. If a guy is pumping his arms skating and his stick passes an inch in front of a guy’s face it’s fine, but an inch the other way it’s a penalty. If a player bats a puck out of the air a little too early on the way down we call off a goal. Icing, puck over glass, these are all plays where if a guy does something close but not close enough they’re penalized in some way.

So there’s tons of cases where the difference between a play continuing or stopping comes down to a player action being a little more or less than what they did, and offside isn’t any different. The only change is how long it takes in game time for the infraction to be called, and while that’s annoying I don’t see why we consider the league to be at fault when in all others cases a player is at fault.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

We expect players to be in control of their bodies. If a guy is pumping his arms skating and his stick passes an inch in front of a guy’s face it’s fine, but an inch the other way it’s a penalty. If a player bats a puck out of the air a little too early on the way down we call off a goal. Icing, puck over glass, these are all plays where if a guy does something close but not close enough they’re penalized in some way.

So there’s tons of cases where the difference between a play continuing or stopping comes down to a player action being a little more or less than what they did, and offside isn’t any different. The only change is how long it takes in game time for the infraction to be called, and while that’s annoying I don’t see why we consider the league to be at fault when in all others cases a player is at fault.

I was going to disagree with you, but I've actually come to enjoy analyzing offside and/or goal footage like it's the Zapruder film. HFBoards in particular used to be full of grainy screenshots and armchair physicists. if we're gonna have it, we should go back to 240/480p and have some fun with it.

I would also be totally okay if they got rid of all that poo poo and just let the game go. I like it when referees have grudges and put their own personal spin on the game.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/status/1590559926698795009?s=46&t=JpR3L4fdKr2Z1MGC63FbOA

Potential goal of the year got called back due to an offside review lmao

What a league

Yeah that sucks.

Purely luck that there even existed a camera frame that proved the offside too, it was that close. The timing of that apparently 60-fps camera could've been ever so slightly different and they couldn't have proved the offside. But as it was, this was the one and only frame that showed the play was offside:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I was going to disagree with you, but I've actually come to enjoy analyzing offside and/or goal footage like it's the Zapruder film. HFBoards in particular used to be full of grainy screenshots and armchair physicists. if we're gonna have it, we should go back to 240/480p and have some fun with it.

I would also be totally okay if they got rid of all that poo poo and just let the game go. I like it when referees have grudges and put their own personal spin on the game.

I will admit, there is at least sometimes actual drama in a challenge and I’ve been legitimately interested/amused

And I’d also be perfectly ok with not having video replay for this stuff either. I’m just saying the next time the Leafs get a goal disallowed because Rielly couldn’t keep the puck in at the line or Nylander was a step ahead of the puck carrier I’m going to be calling those players dumbasses in the GDT instead of proposing rules changes here

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I will admit, there is at least sometimes actual drama in a challenge and I’ve been legitimately interested/amused

And I’d also be perfectly ok with not having video replay for this stuff either. I’m just saying the next time the Leafs get a goal disallowed because Rielly couldn’t keep the puck in at the line or Nylander was a step ahead of the puck carrier I’m going to be calling those players dumbasses in the GDT instead of proposing rules changes here

i hate to say it, but you really are out of practice here if that's the case. The Pens have been out in the first round for years, but Eric + Rex would be writing Infinite Jest-length posts about how his heel was actually on the line if you normalize the camera angles and take into account the camera lens distorting the image and how [insert opponent here] should be banned from the league because they're the actual cheaters. how do you expect to get out of the first round posting like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Aphrodite posted:

:eyepop: