Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kingo Ligma posted:

The majority of European nations also have actual employment law, so good luck mucky

Musk is prepared to fight those laws. The man fires rockets. $8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Heath posted:

What is the basis for "corrupt" exactly, that they're not who they say they are?

The issue was that verified users could change their profile name without losing or having their verified badge contested. So scammers would steal the account of some random verified nobody, change the name to Eion Mysk and promote crypto scams

A sensible person would say "maybe don't allow verified users to change their profile name" an as a quick solution force verified users back to the original name they verified under, but nah, mush has decided that turning the whole system on the head and making the badges worthless is the way forward

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, you can't scare a company that was losing $4 million a day(even before it was run into the ground by musk) with fines. That's a $1.5 billion loss a year. You pathetic million dollar fines $ are just a roundig error :smug:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kingo Ligma posted:

The majority of European nations also have actual employment law, so good luck mucky

Oh yeah, here in Ireland, we've already had our head of government say that the 'redundancy' agreements twitter has offered are on extremely dodgy legal ground.
Elon is an ignorant, insular, stupid, smug, spoiled, gigantic heap of poo poo, and I hope he gets dogpiled by every regulatory agency in every part of the world.
He really is the oldest 12 year old on the planet
Imagine being 55, and still being such a stupid baby.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I wonder if all the WFH people coming in will have anywhere to sit, or if they'll all be crammed in conference rooms and lobbies

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

GABA ghoul posted:

Lol, you can't scare a company that was losing $4 million a day(even before it was run into the ground by musk) with fines. That's a $1.5 billion loss a year. You pathetic million dollar fines $ are just a roundig error :smug:

FTC fined Facebook for 5 billion. They aren't playing with chump change million dollar fines.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

After the disaster in the midterm elections, the GOP is in no position or mood to go to bat for Elon, because they will be too busy knifing each other for the next two years. Biden's also emboldened enough to let the regulators go after him, given his recent comments.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

The issue was that verified users could change their profile name without losing or having their verified badge contested. So scammers would steal the account of some random verified nobody, change the name to Eion Mysk and promote crypto scams

A sensible person would say "maybe don't allow verified users to change their profile name" an as a quick solution force verified users back to the original name they verified under, but nah, mush has decided that turning the whole system on the head and making the badges worthless is the way forward

None of this has anything to do with what musk is calling "corrupt" which is that they verified the woke moralist cultural Marxists that turned his kid trans or whatever

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
$8 more like -$8B shortly

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I thought the "corrupt" part of checkmarks was the rumor that Twitter was basically taking bribes to verify certain users.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/shadowpowerup/status/1590789818854027264?s=46&t=2RfckFyUyMLVjOOT6Bzcwg

Twitter dying will be one of the great contributions to humanity’s future
i dont think the 'algorithm boost for verified accounts' thing has even been implemented yet so anyone buying in now is absolutely a sucker

if its actually provably happening then yeah maybe but who sees elon make a promise like that and trusts that hell actually deliver on it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

kazil posted:

I thought the "corrupt" part of checkmarks was the rumor that Twitter was basically taking bribes to verify certain users.

I wonder if that ever happened or was just invented by musk to try getting out of the deal

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Pookah posted:

He is quite possibly the stupidest man in history.

Well he hasn't marched on Moscow, or committed his land armies to Asia.

Yet.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 10, 2022

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1590781281037492224

Things are fine.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
corrupt meant that people who he didn't personally like were getting verified

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Unlike the US government and the states as a country, you can actually easily and safely leave Twitter behind.

where'd I put that sharez0ne image...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why does he keep posting 8? All of Twitter isn’t paywalled yet it makes no sense

He’s trying to start a meme of saying “$8” to anyone who complains, to own the libs, somehow

all he wants is to be a popular and respected poster and it’s the one thing his money can’t buy

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/shadowpowerup/status/1590789818854027264?s=46&t=2RfckFyUyMLVjOOT6Bzcwg

Kind of weird to argue that Twitter Blue is cool and good as long as it's a business account

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I was searching to see if there is an official goon Mastodon server and I guess, no?

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Why? Just take your PTO and let it burn down while you search for a new job

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Seeing Musk buy Twitter and destroy it within 2 weeks has been the most fun I've had in a long time. Just watching it implode has been so exciting which I guess sounds kinda weird.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Squiggly posted:

Because they would be liable on paper when those laws are broken and Elon is doing whatever he wants without regard for laws.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

random driveby posting but there's someone replying to the dril tweet called proletariatpussy@cumcommie3

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

SpartanIvy posted:

Because they would be liable on paper when those laws are broken and Elon is doing whatever he wants without regard for laws.

Not the people resigning, the ones staying on to prevent it from going off the rails

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lol Twitter is not an actual institution, it is software that could easily be replaced and better by the same people who left it.

They should all quit.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Squiggly posted:

Noone is going to hire a security officer who oversees a massive data leak (they already got caught exposing ad buyers' credit card details in plain text today) and Chief Compliance Officer is personally liable for a bunch of stuff. If you can see the wind is changing, bail with the millions you already made and walk in to some other 6 figure Silicon Valley job.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Lol just say you're worried about finding a new job in the current tech climate instead of this fake justification bullshit

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was way too optimistic in that "when will Elon either lose or destroy Twitter" pool.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Another idea for a purchased blue-check: a fictional character like The Joker and start posting like you are a part of the rights owner's marketing. I'm sure other companies will be thrilled.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

So I was searching to see if there is an official goon Mastodon server and I guess, no?

We have the forums.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess some people working there actually believe in their company and product

lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Lammasu posted:

If there's one thing I trust it's uhh goons behaving well enough to keep from being defederated from every major instance

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

lol

If Trump's administration goes off the rails: nuclear annihilation

If Musk's twitter goes off the rails: even worse

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

When I first entered the workforce I was also like "PTO caps are some bullshit, unlimited PTO is awesome!" but eventually came around to exactly what you posted here. If your PTO is unlimited then you simply never take it, or don't take as much as you should. It's the kind of policy that Elon Musk should love: it sounds great but is fundamentally not good for work-life balance in practice. And that's why it stands some chance of surviving

At our company we have a PTO bank that's got a cap of basically whatever amount you'd earn for 2 years of work (if you earn 5 weeks per year, then the bank can hold up to 10 weeks). Everyone takes their annual PTO because it feels like you're taking a pay cut if you don't, but it's nice having that extra bank capacity in case you have a busy year; it just makes you take more breaks the following year

I'm with a tech company that has its HQ in the US and a few satellite offices in Europe. I was a bit annoyed when I found out the US employees had unlimited PTO while we were limited to the statutory amount of PTO mandated by law. When I failed upwards into a management position and got to see figures, I was shocked at how little PTO US employees take compared to their EU counterparts.

Treating PTO as a privilege that shouldn't be abused, with an arbitrary definition of what counts as abuse, is a horrible system. Treating PTO as a right with mandated minimums works much better. For the last month I've been sending out reminders to people that they have x days unused PTO this year, and that they better start using them up or making arrangements to carry them over into next year.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Data Graham posted:

twitter honestly seemed like it was a genuinely nice place to work, as far as nightmarish tech megacorps go

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1590810660887461888

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

“Sorry that this is my first email to the company, but there is no way to sugarcoat the message,” Mr. Musk, 51, wrote in one email. “The economic picture ahead is dire.” Twitter is too heavily dependent on advertising and vulnerable to pullbacks in brand spending, he added, and will need to bolster the revenue it gets from subscriptions.

lmfao

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
is he going to have a "I told u I was hardcore" moment?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

$44 billion dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I just had one of those "smirk becomes huge grin and then the laughing starts god help me" moments irl