Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If Russia managed to retreat from Kyiv and Kharkiv with relatively low casualties, I don't imagine retreating from Kherson, where they had more time to prepare, can go much worse. Ukrainian telegram channels spread rumours that ~18k Russian soldiers were left behind and are about to get crushed, but it's very hard to believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Paladinus posted:

If Russia managed to retreat from Kyiv and Kharkiv with relatively low casualties, I don't imagine retreating from Kherson, where they had more time to prepare, can go much worse. Ukrainian telegram channels spread rumours that ~18k Russian soldiers were left behind and are about to get crushed, but it's very hard to believe that.

Kharkiv didn't have any bottlenecks to slow the retreat down.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It was a lot easier to retreat from Kyiv and Kharkiv because you could just... run. Apparently a lot of the bridges are out so the only way to escape is through the river.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

So what do you think will happen to Shoigu, he seems like an obvious scapegoat? I doubt that Vova will give him the good ol' window, after all he's always been loyal and personal loyalty is what keeps this system running. But he can't possibly keep his current job, can he?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I thought the retreat from Kharkiv involved a lot of heavy equipment left behind?

If the river crossing becomes congested, the same thing will play out in Kherson.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought the retreat from Kharkiv involved a lot of heavy equipment left behind?

If the river crossing becomes congested, the same thing will play out in Kherson.

That is what happened, yes.

Also some of the stuff I'm seeing talks about an agreement with the US to be able to retreat without being attacked.

Apparently, according to the Russians, the Ukrainians turned out to not be parties to this agreement and swooped in instead.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

What a very Russian thing to do. Though maybe it's another exaggeration and the guys left behind are supposed to withdraw sometime later and hence no orders were given as of yet. Personally, if I was a mobilized soldier that didn't want to fight, being left behind is probably not a bad outcome. Throw away your weapon, find some white cloth, wave vigorously, and let the UA capture you. You might have to do a little humiliating TV time but you spend the rest of the war in a camp and get fed. If you get withdrawn, your next assignment might involve you being target practice for drones/artillery/planes in some other part of Ukraine.

WarpedLichen posted:

It was Kyiv that they got away relatively scot-free after ditching all the heavy gear that they couldn't flee with. ISW reported that significant casualties occurred at Kharkiv when the Russians sent reserves in to try to stem the flow. When the Ukrainians mopped the floor with them, those who were left fled for the border. With the Dnipro in the way this time, if something similar happens in Kherson, expect a lot of surrendering to be done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kchama posted:

Also some of the stuff I'm seeing talks about an agreement with the US to be able to retreat without being attacked.

Apparently, according to the Russians, the Ukrainians turned out to not be parties to this agreement and swooped in instead.

This is just a dumb conspiracy theory that Russian Z-influencers use to explain to themselves and their audience why things are not going well. It's based literally on nothing apart from their firm belief that people in power are all liars and constantly strike shady deals in secret, while common folks suffer the consequences. People are so disenfranchised and disinterested in politics, they literally can't imagine things being as they are, and there not being some great lie at the centre of it all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Comstar posted:

14km to the bridge in a straight line going off Google maps.

Wait...that's PAST Kherson Airport!?!! Can someone post a map of where this place is?

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. Pretty big deal if they've recaptured it given the airport located there, plus the fact that it's right outside of Kherson city.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

This is just a dumb conspiracy theory that Russian Z-influencers use to explain to themselves and their audience why things are not going well. It's based literally on nothing apart from their firm belief that people in power are all liars and constantly strike shady deals in secret, while common folks suffer the consequences. People are so disenfranchised and disinterested in politics, they literally can't imagine things being as they are, and there not being some great lie at the centre of it all.

Oh absolutely, which is why I said "According to the Russians".

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Besides, it reads like it only makes sense if you already believe that the US is prosecuting the war with Ukraine as a puppet state. Which is apparently the official Russian government's position anyway; it couldn't possibly be that Ukrainians have their own agency and willingness to attack the Russian armed forces for some reason.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Paladinus posted:

There's about 12 boats left to move 20000 troops in 1 day. Which is now being hit by short range rocket artillery.

The Ukrainians are close enough now to get drones giving real time updates on the boat positions. By next week the biggest problem is going to find somewhere to put the POW's.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590835711733026816

It's hard to overstate how bad a rout here would be for Russia. The river is huge and both the bridge and the barge crossing has been taken out leaving only a small number of ferries.

Previous routs have involved soldiers melting away into wooded areas, stealing civilian cars and making their own way back to friendly lines. In this case, they either make it onto a ferry or they swim.

Ukraine is already bombarding the area and this will get worse and worse as they get closer. It'd be hard to organise a withdrawal under these conditions even with perfect discipline and planning.

They desperately need blocking forces to buy them time to get out, if those forces are broken then it'll be a catastrophe.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 10, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The bridge is still perfectly crossable for pedestrians. Well, not at night on the account of giant holes, and I imagine the ends may be getting shelled, but it does exist.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kchama posted:

I refuse to believe this is accurate, that Russia literally ignored Ukraine, negotiated with the USA, and got the USA to say " ok yes, we will not attack you", and then Ukraine proceeds to attack after not being a part of the conversation at all.

I mean, I know the Russian official line is that Ukraine is a puppet regime and its really the US making all the decisions and that there's no point to talking to the puppet, you should instead negotiate with the USA, etc. But privately they had to have known they needed to talk to Ukraine, right?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OddObserver posted:

The bridge is still perfectly crossable for pedestrians. Well, not at night on the account of giant holes, and I imagine the ends may be getting shelled, but it does exist.

At this point, even that's a maybe

https://twitter.com/NLwartracker/status/1590775585344983040

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590840382052765696

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590835711733026816

It's hard to overstate how bad a rout here would be for Russia. The river is huge and both the bridge and the barge crossing has been taken out leaving only a small number of ferries.

Previous routs have involved soldiers melting away into wooded areas, stealing civilian cars and making their own way back to friendly lines. In this case, they either make it onto a ferry or they swim.

Ukraine is already bombarding the area and this will get worse and worse as they get closer. It'd be hard to organise a withdrawal under these conditions even with perfect discipline and planning.

They desperately need blocking forces to buy them time to get out, if those forces are broken then it'll be a catastrophe.

There's probably also anarchy on the left bank at disembarking of the ferries.

It's going to be a mess for the Russians but I don't think they really care about the howevermany dudes are still on the right bank.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Chalks posted:

At this point, even that's a maybe

Wait, why would they blow up the Antonovkyi bridge unless they were mostly evacuated already? Isn't that one of the main ways out?

Why not leave an option besides the ferries?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

WarpedLichen posted:

Wait, why would they blow up the Antonovkyi bridge unless they were mostly evacuated already? Isn't that one of the main ways out?

Even for all the boneheaded mistakes Russia has made in this war blowing up the bridge before their own forces finish retreating would make the top of the list. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical.

Now, if I were in charge of the Ukrainian forces I might try to let half the Russian forces retreat then blow up the bridge.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's like Dunkirk but with idiots.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I guess they're more scared of the Ukrainians advancing over the river than they are of losing 20,000 troops and equipment.

It's insane but the whole war has been a series of unbelievably bad decisions.

Just to confirm, the 20,000 figure is from Russian sources. This sounds like a complete disaster

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1590839531057852417

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1590838418342232065

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rigel posted:

I refuse to believe this is accurate, that Russia literally ignored Ukraine, negotiated with the USA, and got the USA to say " ok yes, we will not attack you", and then Ukraine proceeds to attack after not being a part of the conversation at all.

I mean, I know the Russian official line is that Ukraine is a puppet regime and its really the US making all the decisions and that there's no point to talking to the puppet, you should instead negotiate with the USA, etc. But privately they had to have known they needed to talk to Ukraine, right?

I mean, every time a huge calamity they've preferred the "We're completely incompetent and owned ourselves!" to "Ukraine had a victory", so it does seem like the sort of lie they'd tell.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bremen posted:

Even for all the boneheaded mistakes Russia has made in this war blowing up the bridge before their own forces finish retreating would make the top of the list. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical.

Well you see the General who ordered it told a Colonel to do it who found a Engineering Captain to do place the explosives who told a corporal to not touch the button without his say so.

quote:

The Allies had only learned of the French evacuation at 7:00 on the morning of the 19 October.[54] Soon thereafter between 8:00–9:00 am they launched a full-scale assault from the north, south, and east against the retreating French. But they were held up in Leipzig because of a ferocious street-to-street rearguard action fought by Marshal Oudinot's 30,000 troops.[54] As the Russians and Prussians entered the city through the Halle and Grimma gates they fell upon barricades and houses full of French soldiers. Civilians were forced into hiding as the bloody urban combat raged throughout the city.[57]

[]b]Napoleon's retreat continued smoothly until early afternoon when General Dulauloy, tasked with destroying the only bridge over the Elster, delegated the task to Colonel Montfort.[54] The colonel then passed this responsibility to a corporal, who was unaware of the carefully planned time schedule.[54] The corporal ignited the fuses at 1:00 in the afternoon while the bridge was still crowded with retreating French troops and Oudinot's rearguard was still in Leipzig.[/b][54] The explosion and subsequent panic caused a rout that resulted in the deaths of thousands of French troops and the capture of 30,000 others.[58] Both Oudinot and MacDonald managed to swim their way across but Poniatowski, hampered by his wounds, was one of the many who drowned while attempting to cross the river.[53]

So Putin losing 20000 is less bad than Napoleon did. Op Success.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 11, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How did Ukraine end up with some many casualties? Don't they have an enormous advantage since they're defending?

And in other news,

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1590834205956923393?s=20&t=Tfv7G1e4w-Jq5Ju2cDplMQ

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1590834230220972032?s=20&t=Tfv7G1e4w-Jq5Ju2cDplMQ

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1590836286704988161?s=20&t=Tfv7G1e4w-Jq5Ju2cDplMQ

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1590838166679736320?s=20&t=Tfv7G1e4w-Jq5Ju2cDplMQ

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Is there a map of the area where the Russians are attempting to retreat from in relation to the remaining bridges (if they exist) and to Ukrainian and Russian-occupied territory?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A few days ago the Royal United Services Institute (a UK defence and security think tank) published an in-depth look at the air-war so far. I've not had a chance to read it properly yet, and frankly I'm qualified to critique it...
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/russian-air-war-and-ukrainian-requirements-air-defence/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How did Ukraine end up with some many casualties? Don't they have an enormous advantage since they're defending?

Most killing is done with artillery, and Russia had a massive artillery advantage until HIMARS started blowing up ammo dumps

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

A few days ago the Royal United Services Institute (a UK defence and security think tank) published an in-depth look at the air-war so far. I've not had a chance to read it properly yet, and frankly I'm qualified to critique it...
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/russian-air-war-and-ukrainian-requirements-air-defence/

Kinda confirms what we've seen, neither side is capable of operating aircraft near the front and no clear air superiority. This is a win for Ukraine as their air defense systems have mostly neutralized Russia's far superior and numerous air force except for long range and expensive stand off missile attacks. Downside is they also cannot really operate to support their ground forces.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The tl;dr (although it's a good read) is that the narrative that Russia has been holding back its air force isn't actually true - there have been multiple phases of the air war over the last 9 months and at every stage both sides have been giving the maximum effort possible.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Cool so a full 6% of the newly mobilized could become POW's in like a day if that 20K trapped is at all accurate. Even worse if a substantial number of those are from "better" trained units from earlier in the war

It sure won't end things, but that's a LOT of very needed manpower to lose in one go.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Orthanc6 posted:

Cool so a full 6% of the newly mobilized could become POW's in like a day if that 20K trapped is at all accurate. Even worse if a substantial number of those are from "better" trained units from earlier in the war

It sure won't end things, but that's a LOT of very needed manpower to lose in one go.

Nothing a second mobilization wave can’t fix!

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Nothing a second mobilization wave can’t fix!

What was it like 70K men that fled Russia during mobilization wave 1? It'll be fun to see Mob Wave 2: No-economy-boogaloo result in more people fleeing than being recruited.

It's a weird but nice feeling that, due to delays in info getting out, it's entirely possible Kherson is already liberated. I'd be surprised if clearing it lasts a week from all the news we're hearing today. Especially with truly historic orders like "grab clothes off the clotheslines and run in some direction, I don't care which"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Comstar posted:

There's about 12 boats left to move 20000 troops in 1 day. Which is now being hit by short range rocket artillery.

The Ukrainians are close enough now to get drones giving real time updates on the boat positions. By next week the biggest problem is going to find somewhere to put the POW's.

But Ukrainians were in no rush to storm Kherson. I know I may be severely underestimating the level of incompetence at play, but Russia could have spent more time evacuating soldiers by air, for example, they didn't have to announce they were leaving for sure, while there are still thousands of troops there. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Paladinus posted:

But Ukrainians were in no rush to storm Kherson. I know I may be severely underestimating the level of incompetence at play, but Russia could have spent more time evacuating soldiers by air, for example, they didn't have to announce they were leaving for sure, while there are still thousands of troops there. Makes no sense whatsoever.

They haven't told their own troops on the ground for a week after it started getting posted on twitter and a month after there were news reports. Russian media started reporting it this week and the armed forces admitted to it a few days ago.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I do not buy any narrative that Russia is masterminding some grand plan here, the scale and volume of the discontent from basically every corner on the Russian side is way too great. Much simpler explanation is that a huge loving debacle is underway.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Rigel posted:

If Russian leadership would like to sort this out, just slide into my DMs. I am fully authorized to negotiate with you.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's going to be hilarious if in later years we learn that Shoigu or whomever called Secretary Austin and asked, "If we leave Kherson will you shoot us?" and a slightly confused Austin replied, "Um, no," while thinking, "We haven't shot you yet why would we start now?"

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's like Dunkirk but with idiots.

Dumbkirk

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paladinus posted:

So Russia was caught between a rock and a hard place here. Clearly preparations were made for a more orderly pullback (let us take the news coming out so far at face value). There are two ways to do it. Ensure the survival of your best and most capable units by withdrawing them first and hope the lower quality troops left behind will be up to the task of playing rear guard or have your most capable units screen the defense to mitigate the chance of an uncontrolled collapse of the crossing sites. Someone mentioned Dunkirk and it is important to remember the French actually did the British a huge solid defending the evacuation beaches.

We know which option the Russians took and indications are that the units filled with mobilized troops with minimal training are now panicking. The Ukrainians don't even appear to be exerting a real amount of pressure right now either. But I guess from the Russian viewpoint, as long as your contract regulars got out, the rest are relatively expendable and you just take another black eye.

Will be interested in the total capture count in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I do not buy any narrative that Russia is masterminding some grand plan here, the scale and volume of the discontent from basically every corner on the Russian side is way too great. Much simpler explanation is that a huge loving debacle is underway.

I think the closest to a "grand plan" they possibly had was to ferry their good troops over while ferrying mobiks to replace them to hold the line. But given how much high-end equipment seems to have been left behind, that's probably not true either.