Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unperson_47 posted:

A comment on this tweet calls it $8chan lol

:guffaw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Random Stranger posted:

$44 billion in dollar bills is roughly 55,000 cubic meters of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUWDrLazCg

$44 billion as a stack of dollar bills would be about 4,400 kilometers tall. Or laid on its side, it's the road distance from Tijuana to NYC.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MikeJF posted:

So I know that the US barely has any labour laws and employment contract law, and the 'work from the office NOW NOW NOW' is an attempt to get lots of people to quit without severance, but constructive dismissal is a thing and promissory estoppel is a thing

and they've been going 'we have a permanent work from home policy' for three years now and people have made employment decisions and life decisions and moved based on that policy

surely instead of lots of people quitting it's going to be lots of people suing on being forced to quit by the unreasonable sudden employment condition change.

Quoting this for this page and lolling

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Speaking of which, someone needs to ask Elon how he feels about the 'Steen

Don't quote Guy Mann, tia

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 11, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
doublepost

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one cares about your beef with the twitter guy

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What timezone does my pick of next Thursday for the death of Twitter run out today? Even if it's US east I'm feeling pretty good.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I have never understood this attitude in this industry. I work with people who fawn over Musk, and I don't get that, either. I made a joke about cryptocurrency the other day and found out one of my teammates is into it... just... how? Why?

Turns out nerds are bitch rear end losers, op.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

big nipples big life posted:

What timezone does my pick of next Thursday for the death of Twitter run out today? Even if it's US east I'm feeling pretty good.

To be safe it's probably end of closing bell, so 4 pm EST, 11/17/22

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

postmodifier posted:

To be safe it's probably end of closing bell, so 4 pm EST, 11/17/22

my next thursday was today so I guess I missed, but I bet I was close.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta keep it together for another 11 months so I can win, Elon, you got this buddy :glomp:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I have never understood this attitude in this industry.

There are three tech workers.

Senior Devs who have made themselves irreplaceable by being the only one who knows how something works. They don't want to rock the boat.

Senior Devs who have built up skills enough that they can migrate from company to company with better offers all the time, unionising might look bad to a hirer and a union would make it harder to get hired.

Junior Devs who are just out of college who are aware of the millions of new grads every year breathing down their neck and how replaceable they are in an industry that's all set up to easily cycle and replace them and they're scared and don't want to risk it when companies could just replace their entire junior dev teams in theory

Also every one of these people is antisocial

Also half of them think they're geniuses who'll be ceo of the next breakout app they're working on in their spare time

Also most of them are vulnerable to Twitter chuds who convince them being anti union is smart

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 11, 2022

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I still don't understand this whole Mastodon server business.

it's like open sores twitter richald stalmman will give you tender embraces

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
re: tech unionization. It also really depends on the company's existing labor structure. The NYT tech/product engineering overwhelmingly voted to unionize this year and part of it was the existing union structure on the other side of the house: https://nytimesguild.org/tech-vote-count/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

goatface posted:

We have the forums.

Wario64 doesn't post here.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe the activist groups have now moved on to forcing twitter employees to resign.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sure friend. "The twitter guy" :rolleyes:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wifi Toilet posted:

Can't believe the activist groups have now moved on to forcing twitter employees to resign.

:rubby:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

"Twitter guy" is noted forums dipshit Guy Mann/Sleeveless/...of SCIENCE! who has been 100k quasiperma'd for being at odds a lovely poster, a gross weirdo, and overall sourpuss who is trying to make a claim to being a Something Awful historian by scraping the Sagas thread for topics to post about to try his damnedest to develop a Twitter/YouTube following in spite of the fact that he is widely hated here

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TesIaReal/status/1590829623876915200

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Heath posted:

"Twitter guy" is noted forums dipshit Guy Mann/Sleeveless/...of SCIENCE! who has been 100k quasiperma'd for being at odds a lovely poster, a gross weirdo, and overall sourpuss who is trying to make a claim to being a Something Awful historian by scraping the Sagas thread for topics to post about to try his damnedest to develop a Twitter/YouTube following in spite of the fact that he is widely hated here

He's also publicly posted about trying to court a book deal doing an expose on SomethingAwful history as he remembers it.... so yeah bigtime bottom-feeder parasite energy.

No need to feed that.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Good to see the $8 blue checks do exactly what everyone other than Elmo said they would do

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sounds like forums beef that nobody cares about. Post more musk tweets where he continues to show the world how dumb he is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Sounds like forums beef that nobody cares about. Post more musk tweets where he continues to show the world how dumb he is.

The jock clown is like, the lamest loving clown

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Guze posted:

Good to see the $8 blue checks do exactly what everyone other than Elmo said they would do

But hey, Elon gets their $8. :smuggo:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
A question: Do the companies/people that get impersonated have any sort of legal recourse against Twitter?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Someone ought to do the lettuce thing with Twitter. Maybe throw in a few bunches of coriander too as I feel the lettuce may be slightly too tough.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
$8

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gros Tarla posted:

Someone ought to do the lettuce thing with Twitter. Maybe throw in a few bunches of coriander too as I feel the lettuce may be slightly too tough.

Maybe a banana?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Someone actually paid money *then* posted the joke?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

SuddenCactus posted:

A question: Do the companies/people that get impersonated have any sort of legal recourse against Twitter?

Yes, that is how the blue check mark came into existence in the first place.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e;fb

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Wasn't it ruled a while ago that social media platforms aren't responsible for what their users post? I remember that being a big talking point/campaign promise when Trump was in office.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1590885672654553088?s=20&t=en7BO3hvE1JxTZxVb_2Xqg

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590884973535711232?s=46&t=m6ll5gSbcuk0-Ep6wDUOmQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

He said this like two days after buying Twitter and it didn't work then either

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
furthermore any post made ironically must end with “(ironic)”

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

My brain can no longer behold a tweet and not think it's Elon tryharding

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SuddenCactus posted:

I think a legal argument could be made that this was something Twitter is liable for since two weeks ago it wasn’t a problem, the new verification was introduced before roll-out and people predicted this would happen, and then it launched and everything people said would happen, happened. You even have Musk engaging with the criticism before the rollout, and hand-waving issues away in a manner that could be described as “negligent.”

How it hashes out probably depends on how quickly the accounts shutdown, and how long new accounts keep popping up. One day? Probably doesn’t go to court. A week or longer, including press coverage for certain companies or individuals? Now we’re talking.

Another what-if: what if Eli Lilly is trying to contact Twitter right now, and can’t get anyone? What if they’re talking to Elon and he keeps redirecting the conversation to ad buys. Now we’re in extortion territory. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Here's a good summary of yesterday and today's insanity, with a couple nuggets I hadn't seen in this thread yet

https://www.platformer.news/p/inside-the-twitter-meltdown

quote:

Those last two words would loom larger in the hours afterward, when Roth and Wheeler indeed tendered their resignations. So did John Debay, director of software engineering. That left massive holes in the product, trust and safety, and sales organizations, further increasing the difficulty for Musk as he attempts to retain and recruit advertisers.

quote:

The company has been working to make that a reality. On Nov. 4 the company named Esther Crawford, who has been leading the rollout of the new Blue, CEO of Twitter Payments, according to a screenshot viewed by Platformer. The company is currently seeking a money transmitter license in Washington, according to the message.