Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

When the Rays trade for a minor league RP I just assume that he's like, a sidearmer who throws nothing but cutters, and will be closing for them by next summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The only thing, and I really do mean the ONLY thing, I care about this winter wrt the Dodgers is that they retain Kershaw.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1590888503923003393?t=kqAXkbmEQMi9lhZJNjB0CQ&s=19

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

inshallah

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Wouldn't be right if he played anywhere else imo. We need more guys that stick with one team

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Some Numbers posted:

Too much Astros hype and not enough talk about the Mariners!!!

Post your favorite Mariners memories. Here is mine.

https://twitter.com/ApolloHOU/status/1580307291907059713?t=1MdbTwtGD10IwK9TaaBvXA&s=19

DSzymborski
Jun 5, 2010
A key part of the Rays business is they just pick up pasty white dudes from suburban Chipotle parking lots and then somehow teach them a 96 mph two-seamer that afternoon.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Jose Altuve is a silver slugger!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Jose Altuve is a silver slugger!

i think of him more as an aluminum slugger

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cubs reportedly met with boras about bogaerts and correa

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if any of you BLOCKHEADS posts a single fake twitter trade rumor involving the cubs that isn't stupid enough to be funny i will CLEAN YOUR CLOCK, this is a warning.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

kinda missing baseball already

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think of him more as an aluminum slugger

Idgi - is this a short joke?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Idgi - is this a short joke?

no it's the other joke

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
RD has to make Altuve jokes because otherwise he has to face the grim reality of being a Cubs fan in 2022 :v:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

no it's the other joke

Got it. That took me a little bit since trash cans aren't aluminum anymore.

Anyway - Jose had .921 OPS, 160 OPS+ and just won his 6th silver slugger award. This is what Jose did today too!

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1590876872820547585?t=4hSJJmRPF16a3QDdK4CUlw&s=19

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 11, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Maybe there could be a Houston Astros fans offseason thread

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That would be this thread because we're all Astros fans today

Silver Sluggers announced

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590853321702924293

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the 'utility' winner for the Silver Slugger a new thing this year or did I miss it being introduced before now?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Maybe there could be a Houston Astros fans offseason thread

All baseball threads are Astros threads when America's Team is the reigning world series champions.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiroc posted:

Is the 'utility' winner for the Silver Slugger a new thing this year or did I miss it being introduced before now?

Yeah, it's new this year

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That reminds me, I guess Max Fried is a new "win a beer at a bar" trivia answer going forward (last pitcher to win a silver slugger)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals for getting career years out of both Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt that earned them each a SS and definite MVP nods, and still managing to get swept out of the wild card round. :)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shiroc posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590855078025789442
Ohtani was up for it in utility and didn't get it over Arraez, which is a joke :lol:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590855078025789442
Ohtani was up for it in utility and didn't get it over Arraez, which is a joke :lol:

I know that the Silver Sluggers go to "outfield" rather than specific LF, RF, or CF, but it is very weird seeing Julio in left field and Aaron Judge in center field for this.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/mlb-trade-rumors-top-50-free-agents-predictions-2022-23.html

MLBTR's free agent predictions are up. Now it feels like the offseason has officially started. They have Judge going for $332 million over 8 years. $41.5 mil a year :eyepop:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/GDubCub/status/1590834814382657536

So long to ⛵ and the Franimal. :smith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Legend of David Bote :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

No Safe Word posted:

Holy poo poo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pungry posted:

I know that the Silver Sluggers go to "outfield" rather than specific LF, RF, or CF, but it is very weird seeing Julio in left field and Aaron Judge in center field for this.

Aaron Judge actually did play the majority of his games in CF this season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that one feels weird. So long David Bote, I hope you get picked up somewhere nice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bote is still owed $10M in guaranteed money, zero chance he lets that go by electing free agency. He'll accept the assignment to AAA and presumably be up at some point next season when guys get hurt.

Have to imagine Reyes will be non-tendered though. It was a fun couple weeks but he ended up posting a 93 wRC+ with the Cubs which just doesn't cut it as a pure DH.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: I guess "shocked" is a little strong

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 11, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Being shocked no one wanted David Bote is peak Cubsposting

:confused: There's absolutely nothing shocking about it and none of the Cubs posters above seem to have been surprised about it either? Anybody who thought a team would want to claim Bote given his extension contract that guarantees him actual money has their head up their rear end.

What I'm not quite sure of is why everybody is acting like he's gone. He got removed from the 40-man and predictably nobody claimed him, so now he either accepts the outright to AAA and keeps his ~$10M or chooses free agency and throws that away, which he absolutely will not do. If he doesn't get AB's next year with the Cubs even if just as an Iowa shuttle guy I'll be shocked.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah you caught me pre-edit. I reread the posts and revised my take

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Is it Meetings yet?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
meetings just ended. next meetings dec 4

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Yeah you caught me pre-edit. I reread the posts and revised my take

Ah yep so I did, my apologies.

Glad Bote got his money but boy was he an example of Theo's supposed big brain in action. FO convinced themselves he was the next Max Muncy and they were locking him up on a steal and it turns out no he was just another rookie who got hot for a couple months and then couldn't adjust when the book came out on them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bote got a 5 year 15 million contract. It was a pittance for the Cubs to take a very small risk on a guy they could lock up long term who probably wasn't going to be an all star but could be a nice utility or every day guy.

FO didn't convince themselves of anything, it was a low risk bet that sort of maybe didn't/did pay off depending on how you look at it. I remember at the time really liking the deal for the Cubs, mostly because Bote was playing really well but looking at his numbers it totally makes sense why both sides did it, even now it's a big ol' :shrug:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Even retrospectively that's a totally fine deal, don't win em all and 1 good year would have more than paid for 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

If Martin Perez and Tyler Anderson are getting qualifying offers then Holy crap, Rodon is going to get $40 million a year

if Rodon gets $40 then deGrom is gonna get like $75