Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I mean, they just won a WS, but it feels like it's hard to cheer for these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Astros FO is far worse than any player cheating scandal. It seems like a pretty toxic culture.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

The Astros FO is far worse than any player cheating scandal. It seems like a pretty toxic culture.

Remember Crane's disastrous first press conference after the cheating scandal broke? It's... bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

I mean, they just won a WS, but it feels like it's hard to cheer for these people

I don't cheer for the loving gm. I cheer for 450 foot back breaking homers that clear various national monuments.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Red posted:

It's actually quite easy to cheer for them because I like the players

If we were cheering for the owners then I don't know who would cheer for anyone

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

You out there rooting for the Ricketts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't these fans simply boo their own team, and hate them?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

99% of Astros fans won't give a gently caress because they just won a WS. It would be a bigger deal if they were losing.

They didn't get along for over a year. It was going to happen no matter what. Crane could have handled it better

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

You out there rooting for the Ricketts?

The FO is more than just the owner. The Astros FO had a guy taunting a female reporter saying how happy they were to have hired a domestic abuser. The culture there seems particularly bad.

But ok, sure. Can't criticize the Astros because other people exist.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh poo poo I hope they get rid of him soon

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The fact Taubman felt comfortable doing that in front of other employees and reporters says a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

Why don't these fans simply boo their own team, and hate them?

No see, you can't do that either. Just stand perfectly still at all times in silence.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

I don't cheer for the loving gm. I cheer for 450 foot back breaking homers that clear various national monuments.

I love the Phillies despite the fact that half the players are apparently Q-anon chuds. But that's the team I grew up with. I'm with them even if Middleton turned them into the '22 Reds. I'm sure there's a point where I throw all my Phillies stuff away, but thankfully that thing hasn't happened.

I don't know how some Rays fans felt when some of their players threw a shitfit about wearing a Pride Night patch.

It must suck to be a Nats fan right now, but I feel like a lot of their fans are casual anyhow.

I think a lot of Cubs fans hate the owners, but it's not become dire, and it's not much different than the team was pre-2016 championship.

Anyway. You take the team as a whole, and at some point, something becomes lovely enough where maybe you move on. If the FO ends up destroying the Astros in a few years through incompetence, then is that enough after the cheating thing, or do you just shrug and keep wearing the hat every day?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

If we were cheering for the owners then I don't know who would cheer for anyone

The Mariners' new owner and front office seem less detestable than most.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

The fact Taubman felt comfortable doing that in front of other employees and reporters says a lot.

Shame on the Astros for being the one place where an employee who would later be fired for it acted like an entitled rear end in a top hat

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Shame on the Astros for being the one place where an employee who would later be fired for it acted like an entitled rear end in a top hat

Popete made a totally reasonable statement that the Astros FO seems like a lovely culture and you are now going out of your way to defend them which seems like a poor use of time? He didn't conflate being a fan of the team with being a fan of the FO.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

I love the Phillies despite the fact that half the players are apparently Q-anon chuds. But that's the team I grew up with. I'm with them even if Middleton turned them into the '22 Reds. I'm sure there's a point where I throw all my Phillies stuff away, but thankfully that thing hasn't happened.

I don't know how some Rays fans felt when some of their players threw a shitfit about wearing a Pride Night patch.

It must suck to be a Nats fan right now, but I feel like a lot of their fans are casual anyhow.

I think a lot of Cubs fans hate the owners, but it's not become dire, and it's not much different than the team was pre-2016 championship.

Anyway. You take the team as a whole, and at some point, something becomes lovely enough where maybe you move on. If the FO ends up destroying the Astros in a few years through incompetence, then is that enough after the cheating thing, or do you just shrug and keep wearing the hat every day?

Y'all are gonna be back to booing Bryce Harper for going 0-13 in July.

Inspector_666 posted:

Popete made a totally reasonable statement that the Astros FO seems like a lovely culture and you are now going out of your way to defend them which seems like a poor use of time? He didn't conflate being a fan of the team with being a fan of the FO.

It's also ignoring that *something happened* between Taubman and today that might mean the front office composition has changed, isn't it.

Like seriously trying to pretend that the 2019 astros FO is identical to the 2022 astros FO after everything that happened. Come the gently caress on.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 11, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see the point in bringing up a guy who was fired 3 years ago for the action in question under an entirely different FO other than to try to make Astros fans feel bad for liking the team they like

e: (not necessary)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 11, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

Y'all are gonna be back to booing Bryce Harper for going 0-13 in July.

Yes, but I'll be wearing my Phillies hat when I do so

quote:

It's also ignoring that *something happened* between Taubman and today that might mean the front office composition has changed, isn't it.

Like seriously trying to pretend that the 2019 astros FO is identical to the 2022 astros FO after everything that happened. Come the gently caress on.

Didn't it take forever to actually fire Taubman

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Red posted:

Didn't it take forever to actually fire Taubman

It took less than a week

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When did I say Astros fans should feel bad about liking their team? You can still cheer for your team well recognizing lovely things. gently caress Tom Ricketts I wish he would sell the team but I'm not gonna stop being a Cubs fan.

Taubman and the entire Osuna hiring was gross and I remember reading at the time a number of stories that did not paint the Astros FO in a good light. The discussion at the top of this page was about the optics of the pseudo firing of a GM who just won the team an untainted World Series.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Intruder posted:

I don't see the point in bringing up a guy who was fired 3 years ago for the action in question under an entirely different FO other than to try to make Astros fans feel bad for liking the team they like

IMO, considering Philly fans still get poo poo for throwing snowballs at Santa before most of us were born, I feel like trying to make Astros fans feel bad for something that happened 3 years ago (or 5 in the case of the cheating scandal) is perfectly valid on its own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

IMO, considering Philly fans still get poo poo for throwing snowballs at Santa before most of us were born, I feel like trying to make Astros fans feel bad for something that happened 3 years ago (or 5 in the case of the cheating scandal) is perfectly valid on its own.

Excuse me, it was batteries, and it was Jesus Christ.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1591126280225062912

I assume Bob is acting as Crane's mouthpiece here

If Bob's acting as Crane's mouthpiece, he's not making the guy look any better.

LMAO Astros. Not getting rid of Crane is the worst punishment MLB could have levied against the team.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also all fans and all teams are dogshit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It seems pretty clear Crane gave Click an offer he knew he would refuse just so he could say he gave him an offer

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
The entire edifice of professional sports is completely hosed top to bottom, if you want to pretend that your enjoyment of it is perfectly moral and that Astros fans' or whoever's is bad all you're gonna do is force yourself to ignore a bunch of heinous poo poo. It's all fundamentally compromised and caught up in myriad systems of domination and exploitation. It's all a matter of degree. Criticizing that poo poo is obviously good, but people love to dress up their continued outrage over 2017 (or whatever other thing they're mad about) as pure moral concern and not just the (totally understandable) emotional response that it is. Powerful men feeling like they can treat women badly and get away with it isn't unique to the Astros, it's completely endemic to our entire society and goes much deeper than "the team I hate is bad".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me when ppl ask how can I possibly like the two time world champions:

https://mobile.twitter.com/overtime/status/1591101398204104704

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If Bob's acting as Crane's mouthpiece, he's not making the guy look any better.

LMAO Astros. Not getting rid of Crane is the worst punishment MLB could have levied against the team.

Crane is the MLB, and they would never sanction cutting off someone's head because to tomorrow it might be their head

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/juanctoribio/status/1591144278830460928

more time to post on r/the_donald at least! bright side, Blake!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tatsuta Age posted:

https://twitter.com/juanctoribio/status/1591144278830460928

more time to post on r/the_donald at least! bright side, Blake!

lmao owned

Thankfully for the Dodgers it's Friedman so he'll cobble together a group of castoffs to replace Treinen/Kimbrel/etc who'll all be better and cheaper, then at the deadline they'll trade some subway coupons for a guy with a 5 ERA and inexplicably unlock him into a relief ace.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

lmao owned

Thankfully for the Dodgers it's Friedman so he'll cobble together a group of castoffs to replace Treinen/Kimbrel/etc who'll all be better and cheaper, then at the deadline they'll trade some subway coupons for a guy with a 5 ERA and inexplicably unlock him into a relief ace.
next year: 121 wins before they get swept out of the first round on the back of an 0-for-30 with RISP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Personally I place the blame for all this posting on the front offices for not signing anyone or doing anything exciting

Come on do something you jerks

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Popete posted:

When did I say Astros fans should feel bad about liking their team? You can still cheer for your team well recognizing lovely things. gently caress Tom Ricketts I wish he would sell the team but I'm not gonna stop being a Cubs fan.

Taubman and the entire Osuna hiring was gross and I remember reading at the time a number of stories that did not paint the Astros FO in a good light. The discussion at the top of this page was about the optics of the pseudo firing of a GM who just won the team an untainted World Series.

You recall trading for Aroldis Chapman as the final piece to deliver the Cubs a World Series right?

Baseball orgs are filled with bad people who do bad things - except Jose who is perfect and spending his week with cancer patients who love him deeply

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Personally I place the blame for all this posting on the front offices for not signing anyone or doing anything exciting

3/90 for Verlander. Utilize that $$$ saved on Click

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm going to personally sign a shortstop this week.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

In a tradition between the past and current World Series winners I hadn't heard of until now (apparently coined by the Sox in '14), Atlanta bought pizza for the Astros front office yesterday.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

This is kind of wild, right? Won the WS, got a one-year offer?!
First GM to leave a World Series winner in 75-80 years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya I'm pretty sure the only GM I can find even close to doing that is Dombrowski getting canned the next summer and Pat Gillick giving the Jays a one year notice after 93.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

No see, you can't do that either. Just stand perfectly still at all times in silence.

thats boring as gently caress man

just like baseball now that i think about it hmm