Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm curious what all counts as a "wind" move. Most special flying moves, of course, and I would assume everything that literally has wind in the name (silver, ominous, icy). I could also see twister, and maybe heat wave going off of its Japanese name. Basically all of this is stuff that the tumbleweed would otherwise be weak to, so you might get a lot of value out of wind rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How's the game looking to explore if such a thing can be discerned from whatever is out there? Feel like that's been the weakest part of the last few games and was really dire in Sword and Shield. Very little opportunity to explore off the route, no little side caves with puzzles and rewards, etc. I suppose this one going full open world means technically there is no "route" but I'm concerned it'll just be space with no purpose.

The other issue I had with S+S and the D+P remakes was EXP share being unavoidable and just how generous the game was with XP meaning my team kept levelling up super high so I had to keep swapping stuff out before I really felt like I got a chance to properly use it.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

pospysyl posted:

It's so they can rebalance moves by limiting their availability. For instance,

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1591101084730380288?t=8bgdv3LVLaX-mqZB5HYqWw&s=19

Ugh...annoying. Does this apply to egg moves or move tutor moves?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Eiba posted:

I think that pokemon's gimmick is just its signature move. It's got 75 base attack, so if I'm doing my math right, its 160 base power signature move hits as hard as a 120 base power move from a Pokemon with 100 base attack. It's very much not bad. But it's really reliant on that one move and has to use a much weaker move every other turn.

I have no idea how good something like that will be in competitive, but it seems like it'll be really fun to use "pve" in any case.

It is basically a worse Araquanid. Tinkaton deals slightly less damage with a much worse attacking type. Oh and Araquanid can spam Liquidation where Tinkaton can’t spam Gigaton Hammer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

Is it next week yet? I want to play the new Pokemon already (legally).
nintendo just charged me so we're getting there

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
If what people are saying about paradoxes and battle terrains is true

between the starters, the fire-megamen, the new Grass/Fire type, and the Scarlet exclusives, this is absolutely going to be game where Sunny Day teams are extremely viable

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Araxxor posted:

It is basically a worse Araquanid. Tinkaton deals slightly less damage with a much worse attacking type. Oh and Araquanid can spam Liquidation where Tinkaton can’t spam Gigaton Hammer.

It does have an incredible typing and good support move pool though, so expect people to try to make it work in VGC

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's a really neat and fun pokemon. I like how its stats and moves and design tell a story- it's a little pink fairy, who might be fast and steadfast (special bulk), but it's physically fragile and weak. Unless it uses its giant fuckoff hammer, then it will gently caress you up.

I couldn't care less about its "viability" it's a wonderful pokemon.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

pospysyl posted:

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1591101084730380288?t=8bgdv3LVLaX-mqZB5HYqWw&s=19

I know not everyone is into the competitive scene and might gloss past this, but what the gently caress??

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Eiba posted:

I think that pokemon's gimmick is just its signature move. It's got 75 base attack, so if I'm doing my math right, its 160 base power signature move hits as hard as a 120 base power move from a Pokemon with 100 base attack. It's very much not bad. But it's really reliant on that one move and has to use a much weaker move every other turn.
It's definitely something that's meant to be representative of lugging around a really powerful but also unwieldy weapon, like it has to hoist it back up after every time it swings it

it's good imo. they could've done that in a much more punishing way by making it a hyper beam type move

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's weird that (gameplay/Paradox) one version's Paradox Pokemon get buffed in a specific weather, while the other is buffed in a specific terrain. Could've probably gotten away with Rain since it already has precedent in boosting Thunder's accuracy, plus it'd keep that "Sun vs Rain" theme they've had going with Gen 3 and its main duo, but oh well.

Lux Animus posted:

If what people are saying about paradoxes and battle terrains is true

between the starters, the fire-megamen, the new Grass/Fire type, and the Scarlet exclusives, this is absolutely going to be game where Sunny Day teams are extremely viable

I don't know how I missed this, though having so many leaks to keep track of doesn't help. Which Pokemon is this?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Mega64 posted:

I don't know how I missed this, though having so many leaks to keep track of doesn't help. Which Pokemon is this?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

It's weird that (gameplay/Paradox) one version's Paradox Pokemon get buffed in a specific weather, while the other is buffed in a specific terrain. Could've probably gotten away with Rain since it already has precedent in boosting Thunder's accuracy, plus it'd keep that "Sun vs Rain" theme they've had going with Gen 3 and its main duo, but oh well.

Unfortunate too because some of the past Pokémon are weak to fire. So setting up sun just fucks them over.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm curious what all counts as a "wind" move. Most special flying moves, of course, and I would assume everything that literally has wind in the name (silver, ominous, icy). I could also see twister, and maybe heat wave going off of its Japanese name. Basically all of this is stuff that the tumbleweed would otherwise be weak to, so you might get a lot of value out of wind rider.
There's probably more than these , but just doing a search of the move list for "wind" turns up Gust, Icy Wind, Air Cutter, Defog, Hurricane, Ice Burn, Fairy Wind, Springtime Storm, Bleakwind Storm, Windbolt Storm, and Sandsear Storm as likely triggers. (There's also Max Wyrmwind but I dunno if that will count, since I was mostly going by descriptions rather than names.)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
It's probably anything with the word "wind" literally in the name.

Kind of like how Tierno used "dance" moves in gen 6

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Watch them take away Freeze Dry too

(Honestly though the Water type was due for a hit and amazingly removing Scald alone might be enough)

Mega64 posted:

Which Pokemon is this?

the horrid garbage monster kappa-pepper, seen above in YOLO's post

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I love the new Pokemon, the new typings, the new designs, and the new regional forms (in all the varieties). Also excited to see how all these changes are gonna shake up competitive.

Hyped.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Thing is there aren't too many "wind" names. Razor Wind, Silver Wind, and Ominous Wind are all defunct this gen, too. And Whirlwind doesn't do damage. So I'm looking at stuff like
"Ice Burn
The turn after using this move, the user surrounds the
target with an ultracold, freezing wind to inflict damage.
This may also leave the target with a burn."

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

Ugh...annoying. Does this apply to egg moves or move tutor moves?

All moves. Transferring a Pokémon in will just reset its moves to its normal level up moves. This already happened with BDSP 'mons, much to my chagrin after breeding some Pokémon for certain moves only to lose them upon transfer.

On the other hand, they've kept the PLA system where you can just reassign any level-up moves (maybe TM moves too?) after they've learned them at any time from the menu, no need to go to an NPC or use Heart Scales or whatever.

It will definitely shake up the metagame, hopefully for the better, by removing some broken combos, even if it means some previous time spent was for naught.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kind of like how Tierno used "dance" moves in gen 6

I basically never trust this heuristic after Iron Fist not boosting Sucker Punch

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I know not everyone is into the competitive scene and might gloss past this, but what the gently caress??

theres a nerfed replacement that lowers attack stage by 1 rather than burning, which is left out of this

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Countblanc posted:

I basically never trust this heuristic after Iron Fist not boosting Sucker Punch

Bulletproof doesn't negate Bullet Punch :colbert:

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

SV looks fantastic so far, pretty much everything I could want from new Pokemon. The starters are great and I like how they are giving a lot to different types of players, from competitive to just catching and exploring.

The uniforms are the only thing that I'm not liking at all, why do all the players have to be dressed like dweebs? Such a strange omission when everything else is fleshed out so well, especially with all the new multiplayer features. Crossing my fingers for some big fashion DLC.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Dracula Factory posted:

why do all the players have to be dressed like dweebs?

Search your heart...

It's actually this:

Dracula Factory posted:

big fashion DLC.
Nintendo, crying, as they're forced to release digital style packs purchased in micropayments that they can trickle out over the game's lifespan

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Cause sucker punch in the original japanese is called something like sneak attack. :ninja:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

RME posted:

theres a nerfed replacement that lowers attack stage by 1 rather than burning, which is left out of this

At 50 BP I wouldn't call Chilled Water a replacement for Scald. The only pokemon using Mystical Fire as a primary STAB attack was Moltres, and 1) Mystical Fire has 70 BP and 2) that set got outclassed very early on in the metagame. What made Scald so good is that at 80 BP it was viable as a primary attack and the consequences of getting burnt were universally terrible so it was hard switching anyone into it. Chilled Water is much easier to manage/ignore, to the point where I don't know if it fits on any set except as water coverage for pokemon that otherwise wouldn't have it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

pospysyl posted:

At 50 BP I wouldn't call Chilled Water a replacement for Scald. The only pokemon using Mystical Fire as a primary STAB attack was Moltres, and 1) Mystical Fire has 70 BP and 2) that set got outclassed very early on in the metagame. What made Scald so good is that at 80 BP it was viable as a primary attack and the consequences of getting burnt were universally terrible so it was hard switching anyone into it. Chilled Water is much easier to manage/ignore, to the point where I don't know if it fits on any set except as water coverage for pokemon that otherwise wouldn't have it.

yeah its a nerfed replacement what do you think that means lol

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

All moves. Transferring a Pokémon in will just reset its moves to its normal level up moves. This already happened with BDSP 'mons, much to my chagrin after breeding some Pokémon for certain moves only to lose them upon transfer.

On the other hand, they've kept the PLA system where you can just reassign any level-up moves (maybe TM moves too?) after they've learned them at any time from the menu, no need to go to an NPC or use Heart Scales or whatever.

It will definitely shake up the metagame, hopefully for the better, by removing some broken combos, even if it means some previous time spent was for naught.

If you can go to the menu and just add back what they knew previously then I don't care. But wiping out moves I spent hours breeding into em' is yet another slap in my face after hidden power. Like they keep making GBS threads on people who actually put some measure of effort into the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Awww watched a clip of the anime happenings. I don't care if he's overused, I love Pikachu so much. What a sweet little guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Anime spoiler

Our boy done did it. :cry:

looking at this you’d think Lucario won the trophy and just let Ash hold it for the photo

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Flopsy posted:

If you can go to the menu and just add back what they knew previously then I don't care. But wiping out moves I spent hours breeding into em' is yet another slap in my face after hidden power. Like they keep making GBS threads on people who actually put some measure of effort into the game.

Not part of the objective market of the games, which actually is kids who never saw a pokemon in their life and those that still wish it were 1996 and had just began playing Red/Blue

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

Remember that they can only relearn level-up (and maybe TMs they were taught in SV) moves they can currently learn in SV.

They wouldn’t be able to relearn an egg move you taught them in SwSh, etc.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

looking at this you’d think Lucario won the trophy and just let Ash hold it for the photo

Lucario's mouth is so hosed up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Avalerion posted:

Cause sucker punch in the original japanese is called something like sneak attack. :ninja:

I'm aware, but that just means I would have to check the Japanese name for any move to see if any given ability affected it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pospysyl posted:

I am glad Scald is dead

Mega64
May 23, 2008

(Anime) Ash has been doing this poo poo for 25 years despite doing this in a like 2-3 year span actual-time so he better be drat good, plus he has a loving Dracovish and a Gamesharked Pikachu so of course he's gonna pull off some cheap-rear end poo poo.

Maybe I should actually watch some of this? Haven't watched the anime since like halfway through Johto but this current arc sounds badass and full of Pokemon action.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am glad Scald is dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHWsU_jcYW0

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For people who order physical copies, what's the best place to order from that might result in a Thursday arrival rather than Friday? I know back with swsh people were posting 1-2 day early shipment arrivals pretty regularly

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Remember that they can only relearn level-up (and maybe TMs they were taught in SV) moves they can currently learn in SV.

They wouldn’t be able to relearn an egg move you taught them in SwSh, etc.

Let me phrase it like this; Say for instance you play a pokemon game, level up some mons and transfer them only to find they've been reverted to level one, suddenly un-evolved and any investments you made into them are wiped clean. Does that feel good to you? All that work reverted to nothing and you have to start from scratch? Yeah that's kinda how I feel whenever they do some new dumb poo poo like this. Sorry if it seems like I'm snapping at you in particular it just makes me think dark things are on the horizon if they keep pulling this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mega64 posted:

(Anime) Ash has been doing this poo poo for 25 years despite doing this in a like 2-3 year span actual-time so he better be drat good, plus he has a loving Dracovish and a Gamesharked Pikachu so of course he's gonna pull off some cheap-rear end poo poo.

Maybe I should actually watch some of this? Haven't watched the anime since like halfway through Johto but this current arc sounds badass and full of Pokemon action.

No actual time has passed in the anime. Like...all of his past adventures happened. He met everyone. But, he's still 10 years old. They make sure to restate this often. He. Is. Still. 10. We just don't question it any more.

Anyway, the battles for the Masters 8 have all be pretty great. But if you actually want to watch an awesome season all the way through, go with the Alola season. By far the best the anime has ever been.