Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Borscht posted:

If I worked at Twitter rn, I would be robbing the place blind.

If I still worked in twitter, I'd be commiting to working on new stupid features then roaming the building so no one can actually find me, then claiming credit when the feature I was tasked with developing gets wiped out.
I'd say I spent 120 hours a week developing tweetsweets, a new feature that allowed users to tweet images of their favorite sugary snacks, a thing that did not exist before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Big nytimes article this morning, non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/...&smid=share-url

quote:

On Oct. 30, Mr. Musk received word that the rapid approach could cost millions of dollars more than laying people off with their scheduled bonuses. He agreed to delay, four people said.

But he had a condition. Before paying the bonuses, Mr. Musk insisted on a payroll audit to confirm that Twitter’s employees were “real humans.” He voiced concerns that “ghost employees” who should not receive the money lingered in Twitter’s systems.
motha

loving

ghost employees

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CapnAndy posted:

motha

loving

ghost employees

ALMOST a legitimate concern given how easy it is for bullshit reblogger talking head types on permanent laptop-and-sandals vacation in the carribean to squirm their way onto payroll these days

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

If the richest man in the world bitching about "the elites" isn't peak grifter chuddism, I don't know what is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1590903448039755778?cxt=HHwWhMDUxbmQg5QsAAAA

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

CapnAndy posted:

motha

loving

ghost employees

stay safe twitter ghost

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Endorph posted:

snatcher is good, maybe if elon had worked on that id cut him some slack
If Kojima had to spend any time with Musk he would end up bashing his head in with a mike stand.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1591152301817102336
edit: lmao
https://twitter.com/usedgove/status/1591106207494066178

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

How does it keep getting better

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hollismason posted:

Any estimates on exactly how much money was lost by the tweet that crashed the insulin company?

20 billion apparently, unfortunately if you look at the stock progress over a year or two it's more of a blip. Still funny though. (Edited to fix number)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CapnAndy posted:

motha

loving

ghost employees

Tesla employee: oh hey ur back early
Elon: twitter's haunted
Tesla employee: what?
Elon: *loading a pistol and getting back in the car* twitter's haunted

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

the neopet is what makes it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Twitter is haunted?

Makes sense.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kw0134 posted:

We are legitimately in uncharted legal territory. Defamation might be in the cards for whoever created the account and tweeted out "we're assholes who shouldn't be charging for insulin," particularly since they used a handle that made it look official. Damages would be limited to the PR cleanup though, since stock prices recovered. But it's still a real harm.

But what about Twitter? We can get real deep in the weeds and can go into a bunch of statutory and common law implications, but I'm not sure this thread is ready for a legalese filled effort post. Suffice it to say there are problems for Twitter that could create precedent for years no matter who wins.

Even more that he was bragging about keeping the 8 bucks from the scammers and making it seem like this is their new business model

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon is ending Work From Haunted Home

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

motha

loving

ghost employees

it's a whole thing, there's a culture around "over employment", people realized they don't need to do 40 hours of work for a 40 hour a week job, so they'll take several jobs at once https://www.reddit.com/r/overemployed/

It's dumb poo poo and not something that Musk should worry about, it would be such a marginal fraction of a percent of lost twitter money if there were anyone there doing it. At his "pay" it cost more for him to worry about ghost employees than the money they could ever take from him

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The really disturbing thing about that insulin company is that those lost dollars are from investor confidence that the company could make money... from price gouging insulin.

Some laughs:

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1591173926704455680

Not even a month.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
With IPG out and now OMD then Twitter is in a bad spot. Desntu as far as i know has more performance clients which don't care as much for twitter. That leaves WPP or Publicis.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Enigma89 posted:

With IPG out and now OMD then Twitter is in a bad spot. Desntu as far as i know has more performance clients which don't care as much for twitter. That leaves WPP or Publicis.

What do any of these acronyms mean, and what are desntu and publicis?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

I know people have covered this angle a million times but what is wrong with musk? Like people have said, he could be living the most absolutely amazing life as a billionaire possible, where we'd never even know he existed, like most of the other billionaires.
I've daydreamed about what I'd do if I hit the lottery and usually it starts with "pay off all my friends school loans". Imagine having the power to pay off them all, while still being a billionaire at the end of the day, and not doing it.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/kloogans/status/1591157039652569088?s=20&t=HeqqXYqMwWxMhvLL-O2ERg

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Enigma89 posted:

The gently caress does any of this mean?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

The Fattest PI posted:

I know people have covered this angle a million times but what is wrong with musk? Like people have said, he could be living the most absolutely amazing life as a billionaire possible, where we'd never even know he existed, like most of the other billionaires.
I've daydreamed about what I'd do if I hit the lottery and usually it starts with "pay off all my friends school loans". Imagine having the power to pay off them all, while still being a billionaire at the end of the day, and not doing it.

It's almost like there are no good billionaires.

I think you either need to be an rear end in a top hat to get that much money, having that much money makes you an rear end in a top hat or both.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Insane Plown Gossie and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.

They're Marketing companies. Big uns

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

kazil posted:

These are all advertising companies. My GF used to work for a Dentsu subsidiary and placing ads on websites was her jam.

I'm guessing OP is saying that advertisers are backing the gently caress off twitter since its poison right now and there aren't many advertising networks left.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Company wild reply alls are the absolute best thing and the most fun to watch burn. I bet this one is especially juicy and I wish I could be the fly on the wall to see it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

kazil posted:

ad agencies.

they're huge, unavoidable, titanic forces you want to stay on friendly terms with if you want to sell ads on your platform.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Glumslinger posted:

Even more that he was bragging about keeping the 8 bucks from the scammers and making it seem like this is their new business model
There are whole new vistas of liability that would be fascinating to explore if Twitter doesn't burn itself completely to the ground before they can be adjudicated before a court.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Borscht posted:

If I worked at Twitter rn, I would be robbing the place blind.

You could probably show up to work with a handcart and roll out with a bunch of servers and appliances and people would notice but I doubt anyone has the time or interest to stop you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Fattest PI posted:

His dad is a turbo rear end in a top hat and never loved him which made elon crave attention and validation. Being older and super rich he now craves the validation and acceptance he never got as a child, which is something that money can't buy.

It's why he inserts himself into everything and does it all for the memes, he's trying to be cool for once

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at musk making the same CC / BCC mistake as that one regressive twitter ripoff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

wait I just realized why Elon Musk is so angry about ghost employees: Because it's literally what he does, gathering paychecks from several jobs at once.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
his dad hosed and married his step sister.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

ilmucche posted:

What do any of these acronyms mean, and what are desntu and publicis?

There are the big 4. IPG, Publicis, WPP, Dentsu and OMD. I realize there are 5 in that list. There is the traditional big four and the other holding group that had joined their ranks, i am at an airport on mobile so I forget which one is the 5th. They are the largest advertising agencies in the world. They own a poo poo load of companies under them. Like Saatchi and Saatchi, Ogilvy, iProspect, etc.

If two of them have recommended to their clients to cut funding then a significant amount of money has been cut off. OMD and IPG are out.

The advertisers with the other holding groups are going to notice this and pressure their agencies for a decision.

Basically advertisers are circling their wagons and Twitter is being left out.

With so much as dollars being taken from fb to go to Tiktok. It's probably easy to just shift those twitter dollars back to fb or to go bigger in TikTok.

Not saying it's over for twitter but this is not good for them.

I just quit my job and am taking off before i start my new job in January but i work in advertising. The last brand i worked at was one of the largest advertisers in the world

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Fattest PI posted:

He's a friendless nerd that desperately wants to be cool and liked

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Fattest PI posted:

Midlife crisis on an extreme level, thinking of his long term legacy.

You think too hard about your own mortality in your 50s, you think about how in 100 years no one will remember or know who you were, and you have normal people money? You might go a bit into debt buying a sports car and try to outrun those dark thoughts.

You have billions of dollars, and could actually make an impact with that money? You're going to build the Bender "Remember Me" statue from Futurama, instead. In this case it's been him trying to push forward electric cars, space exploration, and now some weird obsession with owning a social media platform that he sees as the modern "center of town" where people talk about everything.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I work for an OMD subsidiary and there’s been no overarching “lol don’t use Twitter” from on high but we’re also not stupid and have stopped advertising on twitter

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ilmucche posted:

His dad is a turbo rear end in a top hat and never loved him which made elon crave attention and validation. Being older and super rich he now craves the validation and acceptance he never got as a child, which is something that money can't buy.
Basically, Michael Jackson but none of the productive output and memorable cultural impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This was deleted, anyone get a screenshot?