Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

musk has done more for soceity than you or anyone in this thread will ever do, including possibly save humanity.

By killing off both Twitter AND the company that makes exploding cars?

edit: anti-gravity cat tax

xtothez fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the cars dont explode

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

man I still haven't got around to reading Ludicrous and now however it ends is going to be incredibly out of date

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the cars dont explode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQlLu5ttOk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to believe it's a bit but I can't see what the funny part is, building a perfect simulacrum of an idiot I guess falls under performance art?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Musk couldn't save 11 kids in a cave but yeah sure he'll save humanity

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mediocre electric cars, tunnels, and dumping e-waste into space, feeling very saved.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

musk has done more for soceity than you or anyone in this thread will ever do, including possibly save humanity.

Twitter isn't that bad mate, steady on

Twitter was running a dev version of the site as live earlier today. Dunno if it still is. He sacked loads of employees despite being told this was a dumb thing to do when he's also trying to start loads of new projects. He decided to get rid of yellow safety lines at a factory because he doesn't like yellow.

I'm sorry you've chosen to worship a moron, but Elon being good at conning fools & separating them from their money makes him no more of a genius than that Sam bloke from FTX.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 12, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

mediocre lol?

teslas have driven the uptake of electric cars, every manufacturer has responded. Like in this thread people reckoned other manufacturers were pulling their ads out of fear of tesla.

not sure about the tunnels...

but yeah we need to leave this planet, anything else is terrible luddite nonsense (dont tell me what the luddites were dont care)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but yeah we need to leave this planet, anything else is terrible luddite nonsense (dont tell me what the luddites were dont care)

If we have the ability to terraform Mars we'll have the ability to fix Earth instead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

blunt posted:

If we have the ability to terraform Mars we'll have the ability to fix Earth instead.

thats not why we need to leave

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

mediocre lol?

teslas have driven the uptake of electric cars, every manufacturer has responded. Like in this thread people reckoned other manufacturers were pulling their ads out of fear of tesla.

not sure about the tunnels...

Yknow, as hosed as earth is I'll take it over Mars thanks. I like my breathable atmosphere & drinkable water

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if the earth was hit by an extinction level meteor it would still be easier to live on than mars.

Also necessarily 99.999% of people cannot leave earth, because getting things into space requires vast amounts of energy. Humanity as a whole is not going anywhere, and if we had fewer musks in the world it might even be quite nice to live here.

If you really want to live in a sealed bunker surrounded by carcinogenic dust you can do that on earth for far cheaper, and you even get a magnetosphere thrown in for for free.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 12, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Elon Musk has done absolutely gently caress all for the world except make it worse and aggrandise himself at the expense of others and the environment, if he flashed into non-existence tomorrow, the world would instantly become an objectively better place

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

well if someone on the discord was saying it

Well, they said it with a cite of the specific legal protection that a lawyer has said they've probably juat tossed away. I was settling in for three hours of great live music and didn't have time to type up fully. Apologies for any confusion caused, for once it's not NJAN's fault.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Scientastic posted:

if he flashed into non-existence tomorrow, the world would instantly become an objectively better place

I think that's probably true for a lot of us.

Has anyone ever been to Arran? My wife's uncle bought a house there and invited us to go and visit. From the pictures it looks bleak as hell and I can't decide if that's in a good or bad way.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

, for once it's not NJAN's fault.

what does this mean?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats not why we need to leave

Why do we need to leave?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

Has anyone ever been to Arran? My wife's uncle bought a house there and invited us to go and visit. From the pictures it looks bleak as hell and I can't decide if that's in a good or bad way.

I've been to Bute which is just north of it.

It's pretty bleak but I imagine it depends on the weather as to whether that is good or bad.

Generally though the Scottish coast is beautiful so it's probably worth a skeg.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what does this mean?

OwlFancier posted:

I want to believe it's a bit but I can't see what the funny part is, building a perfect simulacrum of an idiot I guess falls under performance art?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

You're all wrong, it's Ben Harper circa mid 2000s.

So that's where he went

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

blunt posted:

Why do we need to leave?

been answered

but also for the gently caress of it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One thing that amazes me about right-wingnuts is their ability to correctly identify a problem (that there is a widespread media consensus that does not always properly represent the truth) and then from there dive into the first well of insanity they find (that vaccines are a secret population cull, or the people controlling the messaging are jews / leftists / lizards etc). It's like they hear that the commonly accepted truth is wrong and instantly go straight to "I can believe whatever I want now, because truth is a lie."

Jedit posted:

So there's a non-zero chance that he'll go from being the richest man in the world to bankruptcy.
I mean, Trump's been bankrupt 11 times, once you get past a certain point in the economy the whole 'nobody'll give you credit" thing doesn't count, especially if you've [REDACTED] at one of Epstein's parties and can leverage credit suisse officers over the [PARODY] you saw them and Gislaine doing [IN ROBLOX].

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like anyone suing would be fighting an uphill battle to prove that a social media site is actually capable of and responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their verification system.
Isn't there a whole legal mechanism that says social media sites aren't responsible for the things their users post? I seem to remember there being a whole thing about it a while back, when Zuckerberg had to answer questions in front of congress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think honestly they come at the idea that the media doesn't tell the truth from a completely different angle most of the time. For them it isn't a holistic critique of media, it's that the media does not sufficiently affirm the things they want to believe all the time. They start out believing what they want to believe and thus arrive at the idea that the media is lying because it occasionally disagrees with them.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Arran is very bleak and amazing geologically. The strata are tilted so the north is very old, the south of the Island is much younger. Amazing fossils to find. Seals regularly seen in the sea. Take waterproofs, warm clothes, wooly thermals, and a spare liver.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

kecske posted:

I have been to Arran many times and like many of the Scottish Islands it is both bleak and beautiful. Sometimes at the same time.

I would recommend it. There are relatively few places a strong cyclist could take in a day and enjoy awesome seafood, a wee dram, some epic hills and a cosy fire in a beautiful pub.

OzyMandrill posted:

Arran is very bleak and amazing geologically. The strata are tilted so the north is very old, the south of the Island is much younger. Amazing fossils to find. Seals regularly seen in the sea. Take waterproofs, warm clothes, wooly thermals, and a spare liver.

Forgot to.emtion the fossils. Want to see the tracks of centipedes a foot wide? Arran is your venue. Also yes bring waterproofs.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 12, 2022

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One thing that amazes me about right-wingnuts is their ability to correctly identify a problem (that there is a widespread media consensus that does not always properly represent the truth) and then from there dive into the first well of insanity they find (that vaccines are a secret population cull, or the people controlling the messaging are jews / leftists / lizards etc). It's like they hear that the commonly accepted truth is wrong and instantly go straight to "I can believe whatever I want now, because truth is a lie."

I mean, Trump's been bankrupt 11 times, once you get past a certain point in the economy the whole 'nobody'll give you credit" thing doesn't count, especially if you've [REDACTED] at one of Epstein's parties and can leverage credit suisse officers over the [PARODY] you saw them and Gislaine doing [IN ROBLOX].

Isn't there a whole legal mechanism that says social media sites aren't responsible for the things their users post? I seem to remember there being a whole thing about it a while back, when Zuckerberg had to answer questions in front of congress.

They can't be treated as if they were the authors or publisher of user-created content, but that thing at issue isn't whether the original statement is pursuable, but whether Twitter is responsible for the thing they DID make themselves, namely the thing that says that an account has been verified.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This week I spent 10 minutes finding a working laptop at work that a young person could borrow to do college work. I'm pretty sure this alone is more good than Elon has ever contributed to this world

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

kecske posted:

You mean rugged, like much of Scotland. Of course you should go, it’s fantastic.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

This week I spent 10 minutes finding a working laptop at work that a young person could borrow to do college work. I'm pretty sure this alone is more good than Elon has ever contributed to this world

you're right, elon allowing ukraine to use starlink for free for a significant period of the invasion is less useful than you faffing about to let a student with an iphone 15 use your lovely old laptop

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Rarity posted:

We don't have a like button here. We should get the Devs on that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:yeah:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

Arran is like a lot of the less inhabited parts of Scotland, yeah, it is bleak but in a really gorgeous way. Great place if you like getting away from it all, going for a walk in the lovely empty countryside. But I'm a big proponent of that hugely empty barren bleakness that is massive chunks of Scotland, I find the train journeys between Inverness & Perth and Glasgow & Fort William/Mallaig some of the most beautiful I've ever been on. Everyone should go from Glasgow to Mallaig at least once in my totally biased opinion. You get to go through Rannoch Moor, one of the few last true wildernesses in Europe. If you've seen Trainspotting the scene where Renton goes on about it being "shite being Scottish" is filmed at Corrour.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/paulbristow79/status/1591134256356810752

:(....

e: There's an article:

https://twitter.com/peterboroughtel/status/1591144286380527616

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 12, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're right, elon allowing ukraine to use starlink for free for a significant period of the invasion is less useful than you faffing about to let a student with an iphone 15 use your lovely old laptop

I might be wrong but I'm like 98.7% sure Elon Musk isn't going to gently caress you

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

seems pretty likely then

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That's needlessly lovely, come on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its ten minutes of rarity's time dissed by an idiot on the internet?

i havent even got a blue tick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm too lazy to find a screenshot of it but all I'm thinking of now is the @TeslaReal tweet offering to send 10,000 cars to Ukraine because they are the most explosive devices on the market

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I'm too lazy to find a screenshot of it but all I'm thinking of now is the @TeslaReal tweet offering to send 10,000 cars to Ukraine because they are the most explosive devices on the market

not just lazy, wrong and ignorant to boot. ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

God, why are they such loving cunts. I just... Just why. What goddamn purpose does it serve to be such nimby lovely fucks about literally everything.