Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

not just lazy, wrong and ignorant to boot. ok

It's not wrong, someone signed up for a fake account account called TeslaReal, paid their $8 to be verified without any verification and posted that. Honestly, very glad to that Elon unbanned comedy on the bird site because it's been a blast since he bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

God, why are they such loving cunts. I just... Just why. What goddamn purpose does it serve to be such nimby lovely fucks about literally everything.

well they wont win, case has already been decided in ipswich and hull. but they are right to fight it and try to force the government to instigate a better long term plan to deal with asylum seekers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can not imagine having this level of parasocial attachment to anybody, much less elon musk.

Hell take parasocial out of the equation, I think I have a more balanced and realistic assessment of my closest family than you do about musk god drat.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I can not imagine having this level of parasocial attachment to anybody, much less elon musk.

Hell take parasocial out of the equation, I think I have a more balanced and realistic assessment of my closest family than you do about musk god drat.

theres lots of things you cant imagine like going on holiday, travelling abroad or the desire to have children.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're right, elon allowing ukraine to use starlink for free for a significant period of the invasion is less useful than you faffing about to let a student with an iphone 15 use your lovely old laptop

Remind us why he stopped?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

Remind us why he stopped?

i dunno if he has yet, but because he didnt want to pay for it anymore

yeah actually he is still paying for it, it hasnt stopped.

so you'll retract that inaccurate post?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 12, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dunno if he has yet, but because he didnt want to pay for it anymore

yeah actually he is still paying for it, it hasnt stopped.

so you'll retract that inaccurate post?

he was already being paid by the US government to do so and demanded more money and then threatened to stop if they said no then backed down when his horde of brainlet bazingas like you turned on him

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NJAN99 you're already on a bit of a losing streak today just go to bed while you're merely at a low negative

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Chipzel recreating the metaverse in google sheets was pretty funny today to fair.

And probably more functional.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

he was already being paid by the US government to do so and demanded more money and then threatened to stop if they said no then backed down when his horde of brainlet bazingas like you turned on him

lol he wasn't being paid. some terminals, possibly amounting to 3 million dollars were paid for by various sources. the real money is in continuing to provide the service for those units which isnt paid for hence the argument.

a losing streak? its weird that you want to turn debate and discussion into a zero sum game like that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's weirder still that you chose out of nowhere to say Owlfancier doesn't know what he's talking about 'as usual,' like he's not one of the more consistent and well-argued posters in here.

Like if you're drunk or scared about your eye or have been dumped again, fair enough, just say you were out of sorts tomorrow morning, post normal again, and I doubt anyone will hold it against you.

But you just seem to have gone off on one, and if it's because we're all laughing at Musk publicly making GBS threads himself, it just seems weird to get defensive over the possible hurt feelings of a man who would literally ignore your existence if his car burned you alive.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're right, elon allowing ukraine to use starlink for free for a significant period of the invasion is less useful than you faffing about to let a student with an iphone 15 use your lovely old laptop

Lmao dude don't be a pissbaby

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

There should be a fairly clear-cut case against Musk for enabling incredibly damaging misinformation through misleading claims of 'verification' for unverified accounts, at least.

Also he could actually get them some money back, some twitter troll is never gonna be able to pay up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

kecske posted:

Has anyone ever been to Arran? My wife's uncle bought a house there and invited us to go and visit. From the pictures it looks bleak as hell and I can't decide if that's in a good or bad way.

The critical question that no-one has asked here is how well do you get on with your wife’s uncle? Because if you are staying in a house in Arran with him, depending on what the weather’s like, you may be spending a LOT of time with him, with not much to entertain you

We try to go to different islands quite regularly with my mother-in-law, and I get on with her very well, but when the weather is really bad and you’ve been stuck indoors for a couple of days with nothing to do, things can get a little fraught

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
NotJustANimber99, did you know there's a front page? https://www.somethingawful.com/news/internet-argument-lose/1/

You, like Elon, need to face up to the fact that you just can't post. You're either faking it for laughs, which you aren't generating, or you're being genuine, in which case I highly recommend spending time talking to a therapist instead of posting as you're displaying some disturbing traits here. Hoping you use your inevitable probation time reflecting on your actions, and how to post better in future.

Edit: in fairness, you do seem to have correct opinions on certain matters, and given the right attitude you would be a fine poster. You are just aggressively thin-skinned and whiny when anyone disagrees with you, which is increasingly tiresome. Take breaths instead of making posts, and you'll do well here.

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 12, 2022

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
yeah keep posting those correct opinions and you’ll be a fine poster son. keep your chin up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr Phillby posted:

Elon is so bad at running twitter it has to be on purpose.

He can't really be so dense as to think the blue tick existed just as a status symbol when he runs the company. He came up with a whole secondary verification system that while it begged the question 'why not just have a different icon for twitter blue?' Actually adressed the issue somewhat but he dropped it outright so he knows theres a reason verification exists.

He had weeks of people not only explaining the current problems his new system would cause but blue checkers on mass impersonating him as very clear demonstration of the chaos he was unleashing.

He wants to turn the site around and get a return on his investment quickly but he's out there lolling along at verified but fake nintendo accounts posting mario flipping you the bird as advertisers gently caress off in their droves. He also can't imagine that 8 bux from a parody account that he'll ban before their second subscription payment is even due will counteract the hellscape of misinformation he's just created.

Like its actually unbelievable, nobody could be this self destructive by mistake right?

I don't think hes stupid at all but I do think hes got a huge ego and a temper which when combined made him make the stupid offer to buy twitter. Think exactly the same reasoning behind him calling that diver in Thailand a pedo. He was embarrassed and lost his temper at someone so lashed out and luckily for him the consequences weren't anything more than reputational.

The problem is when he did this to twitter it tanked their stock price so badly they held him to it. Musk realised pretty quickly how poo poo of an investment Twitter would be for him and the months of trying to get out of it has directly lead to this insanity. But he couldn't, it would have ruined him financially so here we are. Let me try and explain how I think we've got to this point.

1. Advertisers wouldn't commit to buying 2023 adverts early. Twitter sells about 20-25% of its advertising revenue for the next year early. Almost none of the 2023 spend came in due to the uncertainty of what was going on at Twitter with the legal case they had against Musk pulling out of the sale. 92% of Twitters $5 billion revenue in 2021 was advertising. Losing an almost guaranteed $1 billion dollars is absolutely massive and leaves the entire company on the precipice.

2. Musk comes in and spooks the advertisers even further straight away by saying he will effectively stop banning hate speech. Brands don't want to see their statements retweeted by white nationalists these days which to be frank was the sole reason Twitter started cracking down on it in the first place. Anecdotal reports which seemed to be confirmed by Musk himself are that Twitter has lost almost half of its advertisers by November (Not half of its income, just half of its advertisers total).

3. Tesla stock now being linked to Twitters performance. Auto manufacturers like Ford and Audi have already pulled their advertising because who wouldn't want to smash the poo poo out of a competitor for free?

Twitter has made a loss for the last 2 years, 2020 was $1.3 billion in the red and in 2021 it improved to only 220 million down. However this recovery was due to a $1.3 billion growth in its advertising revenue on 2020. If that tracks into 2022 with the current drop offs from now until the end of the year its looking like they will be between $400-$600 down by the end of the year. If nothing changes I'd expect 2023 figures to be back at the 2020 levels. Goodbye Twitter stock price.

Musk needs to find at least a billion dollars by the end of the year and then recover the lost advertising spend for a period of time until the advertisers come back. Which they will because performative corporation actions only last as long as peoples attention on that issue. At least a year to 18 months in my opinion.

Twitters entire business model revolves around advertising which can't rescue him at this point so he has to turn to the only other easily monetisable inventory he has and do it quickly. The users. Twitter reported about 450 million active monthly users and if half of those users bought a Twitter blue subscription for just one month he's fixed the revenue gap. If 10% of them bought a subscription for a year its $3.6 billion dollars. Problem solved, who needs advertisers now.

Only issue there is that Twitter already had a subscription service and no-one used it so there needs to be a massive incentive. Paywalling the entire site is right out. I roughly remember a report from one of the newspapers (Times maybe?) that said paywalling lost them 80% of their online views and while Twitter only needs 10% of its userbase, they're not going to keep paying if 80% of the sites engagement is gone.

He needs to do it quickly so he doesn't have time to rewrite twitters algorithms to prioritise subscribed posters and drop others to the bottom. Again this risks losing a lot of the user base straight away so it needs to be phased in over a very long period to avoid significant drop offs.

Which I think is how we get to today where the offer to have the blue tick so coveted by posters is now purchasable for the low low cost of $8. Is a blue tick enough incentive to get 45 million people to subscribe to twitter?

Maybe.

Is the fall out from 45 million people having blue ticks and being able to easily impersonate and piss off your remaining advertisers going to cost you even more $ than they generate. Absofuckinglutely. I'm not even going to speculate if it did get a 10% takeup because I believe it was no-where near that number. The speed with which they've rolled back on it suggests it cost far far more than it brought in.

TL;DR

Musk needed a fast way to generate cash due to running his mouth, leading to him effectively killing it faster. It wont kill Tesla, im sure theres an out on the loan agreements in there somewhere.

Numbers and stats were from here:https://www.businessofapps.com/data/twitter-statistics/

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 12, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That all sounds profoundly stupid to me, but I'm just a no money loser

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I did some digging and according to the API only about 45 thousand people bought twitter blue for the check mark.

So yeah. $360,000 dollars which I would imagine is almost entirely offset by the further drop in advertising.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1591228892773482497

:allears:

e: lol, this escaped my radar from a couple of days ago. It's a shame that there's not a comms dept anymore to read it at Twitter. It's also a LOL that the tory govt is writing to people telling them to respect laws. https://twitter.com/guardiantech/status/1590784366929924098

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 12, 2022

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
More Twatter nonsense, just noticed:

Trending in United Kingdom
Covid
561K Tweets

Did they not get the memo, tsk tsk.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but yeah we need to leave this planet, anything else is terrible luddite nonsense (dont tell me what the luddites were dont care)

Can you walk me through settling on another planet? Like

A. Elon Musk talks about it

Z. Humans have a thriving, self-sustained living space on Mars.

I'd be interested in how we terraform Mars, how we get the rockets out there with all the supplies, how we get all the water there (in separate rockets), how we mass produce the 10,000 rockets we need to get anything started there, etc. I've been playing a lot Factorio with the Space Exploration mod, and it's really hard to build a cargo rocket and fly into space.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1591348859351207936

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Starve da beast baby!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That's a good way to get all the striking essential workers on side, definitely

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'd be interested in how we terraform Mars

Practice using the world-leading simulations already produced for this very purpose.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I've been playing a lot Factorio with the Space Exploration mod, and it's really hard to build a cargo rocket and fly into space.

You're doing it wrong, clearly. It's Kerbal Space Programme.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I relented, and watched some Wanksock footage on twitter

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1591330214088278018

loving hell. He's really winning the hearts and minds of the public, isn't he?

e: gently caress the 'line should be drawn' bollocks that the other tory contestants are trying to spin... I'm not sure the others are going to follow suit. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 12, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sorry KSR, but terraforming Mars is just a gigantic waste when there's millions of great, mineral-rich rocks floating through the solar system just waiting to be hollowed out and operationalised as habitable O'Neill cylinder type things. gently caress a gravity well.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 12, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

fuctifino posted:

I relented, and watched some Wanksock footage on twitter

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1591330214088278018

loving hell. He's really winning the hearts and minds of the public, isn't he?

e: gently caress the 'line should be drawn' bollocks that the other tory contestants are trying to spin... I'm not sure the others are going to follow suit. lol

Nauseating

They should be spitting on him constantly. They should be taking turns so when one person's mouth gets a bit dry they can swap out

'Just looking for a bit of forgiveness :unsmith:' show some actual contrition then, you gently caress

And then go home and spend the rest of your life thinking of the thousands you killed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"We all make mistakes" gently caress off none of us directly caused the deaths of thousands of people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress a gravity well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
No he fucks pigs not gravity wells

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lesser known Panic! at the Disco song.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol Labour:

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1591097809406566401?s=46&t=3lv5iPr6BPp_KFuGd_8VxA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

But remember kids, vote Labour to keep the Tories out.

Rayner is an appalling sellout

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Looks like someone needs to be reminded that Musk initially said he was going to pull Starlink service from Ukraine because they couldn't pay for it, and only u-turned grudgingly after half the known world pointed out that to do so would be supporting an illegal war of aggression with associated genocide.

Also laughing my rear end off at the idea that you think you're on first name terms with the oval office.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's good of njan99 to follow the example of brilliant genius elon musk and have a protracted internet meltdown solely to defend the honour of elon musk

Mebh posted:

God, why are they such loving cunts. I just... Just why. What goddamn purpose does it serve to be such nimby lovely fucks about literally everything.

i can't say for sure that they're deliberately publicising the location of asylum seekers to encourage the worst kind of people to take it into their own hands, but it's definitely a very obvious side effect that they have no reason not to be aware of

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Paying attention to British politics is probably itself a sign of onset dementia at this stage , certainly feels like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i still think that “thatcher” covers it,if not in mind, but in spirit