Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

22. The Past Within: This is a co-op point and click adventure in the Rusty Lake series. It is kind of a weird co op in that you don't connect to each other's games, instead there'll be like a puzzle that player one has instructions for player two to carry out, and then it'll switch, so it's constantly verifying that both players have progressed the same amount. It's kind of cool that they managed to do non-networked co op but it did get annoying to have to keep entering codes just to say "I'm at this part now". Otherwise, it was a fine escape room style game, it was like five bucks and played in an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Billie Lurk is a death stranding character that doesn't like to post

lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

90) Fixfox

Strange game, a lot longer than I thought it would be. At any rate, 10 left to meet my goal before the end of Dec.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ArfJason posted:

this is my gang, Billie Lurk, Johnny Sneak and Mark Nonlethaltakedown

perfection! :discourse:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Super Mario Land 2

still pretty good but the cool kids play SML3

Astlibra Revision

Hoo boy, where to even start here. Indie hobby project sidescroller-Ys-a-like that reaches for Chrono/Xeno heights. A desperate struggle across time and space that is frequently interrupted by such things as panty raids. Text all comes off like it was written by a horny teen via machine translation. Art is crude and clip artish but it works. OST is a mixed bag but has some really good tracks. Gameplay is excellent, but the difficulty falls off a cliff in the postgame. I played on Hard but wish I'd gone harder.

There's a demo on Steam of the first few hours of the game, it hooked me.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

91) Super Mario Land

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

56) Ratchet & Clank (PS4 remake)

Very refreshing after trying to replay All 4 One earlier this year. This felt like a much better game, and I'm hoping all the ones coming to PS+ next week show the same level of quality.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

13 sentinels: aegis rim. cool game, liked it a lot, big feels at th end. think i'm ready to play somethin that doesn't have so many words though

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

13 sentinels: aegis rim. cool game, liked it a lot, big feels at th end. think i'm ready to play somethin that doesn't have so many words though

13 sentinels ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

13 sentinels ftw

really was. good writing, lots of good twists, combat was neat. the state of what you thinks happening in the first cutscene versus the ending is fuckin wild in a cool way. i think its a bit too long, but also i dont know what id cut so i think that means it kicks rear end. great switch game too, easy to play in 15 minute drops

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

In my opinion 13 Sentinels is one of the greatest games of all time.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

13 Sentinels wasn't on my radar at all but I will probably pick it up at some point based on what people are saying here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
14. Dark Souls 3
15. Helltaker
16. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1 & 2
17. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
18. The Looker
19. Yakuza 5
20. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
21. Vampire Survivors
22. Timespinners
23. Hollow Knight
24. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
25. Bayonetta 3

Not sure why people are so mad about the story apparently, I thought it was fine and I'm here primarily for the gameplay anyway. Very solid, I like it less than 1 and 2, but I had a lot of fun.

Viola is like playing MGR on crack, and I enjoyed most of the new weapons. The difficulty is somewhere in between 1 and 2 I thought, and there were parts where I was finding it difficult to tell what is even happening in the combat. Hopefully this isn't Platinum's last hurrah before going into the live service mines forever.

Off to God of War Ragnarok now

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arch Nemesis posted:

13 Sentinels wasn't on my radar at all but I will probably pick it up at some point based on what people are saying here.

It's really cool :hai:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Arch Nemesis posted:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

its epic

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
rayman 3:
the one mainline rayman i never finished.
when you jump, you move at like 80% speed of your running speed so it can lead to misjudging jumps at first, and its annoying and sluggish once you get used to it. for a platformer this is a pretty bad thing. the combat is not very interesting despite trying to add a couple gimmicks to it like curve shots or the powerups, which are better used in puzzles but never on a very complicated or interesting way. theres also the combo meter which is too unforgiving with the time it stays active to really do anything with it (but this could be a 60fps issue?), and the scoring at thee nd of the stages meant im definitely not going for 100% completion. theres rarely any "set piece" as cool as that bit in 2 where you get infinite flight and are trapped in cave full of lava and thorns. The tone is some self aware comedy thing that isnt nearly as funny as it thinks it is.
the music has some very outstanding tracks, but for some fuckin reason everything interrupts it; fight sequences have their own loop that interrupts the track, killing every goon plays a fanfare, and the powerup they usually drop also plays a fanfare whenever you pick it up. I dont understand why they do this.
but when those good tracks are given enough room to breathe they usually play along some really cool looking areas, i wish i noticed this game has a photo mode before the end of the game, cause ive been manually print screening a lot.

frustrating game, in a lot of ways, but im still glad i played it. the good moments are pretty good but i wouldnt really recommend it to people unless you really like rayman.

best tracks are pretty much every bit from Land of the Livid Dead, the Hoodoo Sorcerer fights, and not too far behind the snow level and the starting level

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 11, 2022

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they should have given reymon3 a soul patch to keep it in line with its competitor jak3

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
they at least make upf or it in the next game with this design

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Lmao

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ArfJason posted:

france ftmfw

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ArfJason posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Lol

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Donkey Country 3 - less frustrating than 2 since you don't need to collect Jinjos in order to save and move between stages. The best part is the ending where Dixie and Kiddy Kong team up to beat annoying old Cranky Kong to death.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

46) Sonic Frontiers (Hard mode, All Achievements, All 120 Cyberspace missions, Fishing Log Completed)

Fun game that is definitely bigger than the sum of its parts. There's just a nice flow to running around the open world, a sequel to this could really be great.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Industria - a laid back shooter thats very pretty but just ends without any story conclusion. it lists half life 2 in the credits rightfully as this just feels like a mod for it in the unreal engine.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

92) Portal: Reloaded

Been playing this one off and on all year. Puzzles are a good deal more difficult than what you'd find in either of the base portal games, but they can also be a bit janky at times. The last few levels you don't really even use the time travel for more than just grabbing a box or a bridge.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Evil Eagle posted:

46) Sonic Frontiers (Hard mode, All Achievements, All 120 Cyberspace missions, Fishing Log Completed)

Fun game that is definitely bigger than the sum of its parts. There's just a nice flow to running around the open world, a sequel to this could really be great.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Warioland 4: my first warioland, it's great!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sourdough posted:

Warioland 4: my first warioland, it's great!

def play the other three!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

92) Portal: Reloaded

Been playing this one off and on all year. Puzzles are a good deal more difficult than what you'd find in either of the base portal games, but they can also be a bit janky at times. The last few levels you don't really even use the time travel for more than just grabbing a box or a bridge.

There were only like 2 headscratchers, and the writing is exactly how i expected from someone trying to imitate portal and specifically portal 2's, by which i mean not very good and predictable. But despite it all ot was a fantastic lil thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Portal is perfect and Portal 2 is a bit flabby but imo the writing is as funny. Wheatley "solving" the paradox and any Cave Johnson lines are great even if they can feel a bit dated now.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ArfJason posted:

There were only like 2 headscratchers, and the writing is exactly how i expected from someone trying to imitate portal and specifically portal 2's, by which i mean not very good and predictable. But despite it all ot was a fantastic lil thing.

The nature of the puzzles means that messing up the order of operations just a little violates causality enough that you'll probably have to start the puzzle over from the beginning. So while the puzzles of Portal 1 + 2 you can kinda fudge your way through step by step, you have to execute nearly every puzzle perfectly in order to progress. It makes it super rewarding, but also super punishing for a puzzle game, there were several times I would end up at the door and realize that I forgot to press a button and I'd have to spend another 5 minutes just getting prepared to make another run at the puzzle.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

93) Future Proof (all endings)

lovely little RPGmaker game that I got half the endings for like a year ago, finished up the rest of them today.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

38. Wario Land 4 - Hard, all CDs and boss treasures

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Portal is perfect and Portal 2 is a bit flabby but imo the writing is as funny. Wheatley "solving" the paradox and any Cave Johnson lines are great even if they can feel a bit dated now.

Oh yeah dont get me wrong i think protal 2s writing was tight and all but it felt like a step down from 1 and leaned more into the wackyness and when you take that as your baseline and do it badly you get the writing in reloaded

Plebian Parasite posted:

The nature of the puzzles means that messing up the order of operations just a little violates causality enough that you'll probably have to start the puzzle over from the beginning. So while the puzzles of Portal 1 + 2 you can kinda fudge your way through step by step, you have to execute nearly every puzzle perfectly in order to progress. It makes it super rewarding, but also super punishing for a puzzle game, there were several times I would end up at the door and realize that I forgot to press a button and I'd have to spend another 5 minutes just getting prepared to make another run at the puzzle.

Agreed. Despite that i didnt feel super challenged which is a shame cause spatial puzzle games like portal as so few and far between that cruising thru them means you barely get to enjoy them, especially one as short as reloaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
6) Armoured Commander II
7) DEADBOLT
8) Shadowrun: Hong Kong + 'Shadows of Hong Kong' bonus campaign
9) Gun Mute
10) A Plague Tale: Innocence
11) Hotline Miami
12) Batman: Arkham Knight
13) Intravenous
14) The Hong Kong Massacre
15) Shadwen
16) The Dark Pictures: House of Ashes
17) The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
18) The Dark Pictures: Little Hope (5/5 characters survived)

It was alright - not sure if I like it more or less than Man of Medan, but House of Ashes is definitely head and shoulders above the other two, I believe. (So judging from what others have said in another thread in here, I should possibly check out The Quarry at some point, once it's on sale) Also, although I've had all five characters survive in each game, I dunno... it kinda seemed like everything was a bit riskier in HoA? Hard to say, I guess. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like a much more tense experience

Much like MoM, I figured out what the gist of the main plot twist would be, although it wasn't quite as obvious to me. Eh, in any case, it wasn't too bad - I don't have anything to do with witch trial related media in general (IIRC there have been a few semi-popular shows in the US, etc. on that topic in the last decade or so) so I haven't been over-exposed to that kind of nonsense, so it was at least a little different for me, in that regard!

Anyway, that's my spooky trio of games done! I think I'm due for an action game, where I can actually straight-up beat the enemy in a fight :D