Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chief McHeath posted:

If I were the Yankees I’d simply cease to be losing rear end losers

One weird trick, division rivals hate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm fine with the Montero deal cause it's only 3 years which I'm figuring is the end of our current window anyway

Lumpy posted:

I'm probably :thejoke: but you should see how he made the money he used to buy the Mets. There's a good book titled Black Edge about him and his firm.

:thejoke: was that the reason the Mets did the Bobby Bonilla deferred deal was the interest on it was less than the Wilpons were earning on their investment with Bernie Madoff but I'll check that book out thanks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps it is Yankee fans who lack the will to win?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It also pisses me off that Cashman didn't trade the farm for an Ace is Carlos Rodon at the deadline, so I agree with everything he's saying.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The Yankees are like Tinkerbell. If only the fans really believed in them they would be real.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the yankees just need to harness their willpower by drinking the juice of sapho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic is incapable of internalizing the concept of postseason chaos. It’s all completely deterministic in his yankeebrain. If you lose it’s cause you’re a Loser who can’t Win, no other outcome was possible. Admitting otherwise would imply that the Great Yankees of his youth also got a bit lucky sometimes, instead of all being supermen with special Yankee Winner Mojo.

This is bullshit. The Yankees group from 98-2002 was great in the playoffs. The Astros have owned the Yankees in the playoffs. Those aren’t coincidences. Certain people respond better to pressure filled situations than others.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

zoux posted:

For the record I absolutely would prefer that the New York Yankees keep doing what they're doing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
glad to hear McMagic will not be whining ceaselessly when Judge signs elsewhere, as Judge is a losing loser whose WAR this season meant nothing because he's a loser who is sad he was booed in the playoffs (which he wouldn't be if he wasn't such a loser)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think the Yankees should keep doing what they're doing, except with even more losing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

god dammit lmao

:hfive:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1591472371545919493

Would be extremely Cubs to overpay Dansby for his career year and immediately get saddled with another Heyward situation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
#1 Trea Turner
#2 Xander Bogaerts

Anyone else

Dansby Swanson
Carlos Correa

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Trea is going to be an instant upgrade anywhere he goes. I have a feeling he'll be a Phillie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh hey there’s like 50 new posts. I wonder if something happened.

Oh.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just a picture of my brand new Astros World Series Champion trash can.

Bringing this to opening day

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 12, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
They're going to sell so many of those

mcmagic posted:

This is bullshit. The Yankees group from 98-2002 was great in the playoffs. The Astros have owned the Yankees in the playoffs. Those aren’t coincidences. Certain people respond better to pressure filled situations than others.

Gonna use a range of years that includes them losing on a broken bat bloop over the drawn in infield to prove that luck isn't a part of it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll defend mcmagic a little bit and say it does kinda suck the Yankees get rolled by the Astros every single time while NL East teams manage to compete and sometimes best the Astros

I guess I should put my money on the Astros beating the Mets next year for some easy money

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

glad to hear McMagic will not be whining ceaselessly when Judge signs elsewhere, as Judge is a losing loser whose WAR this season meant nothing because he's a loser who is sad he was booed in the playoffs (which he wouldn't be if he wasn't such a loser)

Mcmagic would find something to whine about even if the Yankees won 3 straight rings

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Judge signs elsewhere it will simply be a three part harmony of “lol Judge is a loser”, “lol Team X signed a terrible deal”, and “lol the Yankees didn’t spend”. It’s predictable and boring and pathetic. Everyone’s a loser.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I have to imagine the Yankees are going to offer a dump truck full of money to Judge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I can’t imagine them playing games or seeing a way to spin losing Judge. They played hardball with him last spring and this is the cost. Losing him now would be the sort of poo poo fans talk about for generations.

But who knows? Just gotta wait and see.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe the Yankees keep losing in the post-season because deep down they know that their fanbase doesn't deserve a championship team.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I can’t imagine them playing games or seeing a way to spin losing Judge. They played hardball with him last spring and this is the cost. Losing him now would be the sort of poo poo fans talk about for generations.

But who knows? Just gotta wait and see.
Well don't forget that Hal has to take the "banks and bond holders into account" :lol: before dumping said truck full of money on his doorstep.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 12, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

They're going to sell so many of those

Gonna use a range of years that includes them losing on a broken bat bloop over the drawn in infield to prove that luck isn't a part of it

Thanks for making my point for me. They lost in 2001 on a bloop hit and 2004 on a stolen base and they won the world series in 98, 99 and 2000.

Also because of the way the Yankees spend right now plus the Stanton contract, the Yankees are probably better off letting Judge walk because signing him will completely take away any flexibility they have with the roster and they aren't willing to spend enough to make up for it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What if it turned out that the price to pay for having Jeffrey Maier helping kick-start their 1990s dynasty was that the Yankees basically had to become MLB's Sisyphus of the 21st Century?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd rather have Nico at short than Dansby.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Judge is gonna be one of those contracts that everyone simultaneously recognizes

1) is going to be an albatross at the end (where 'the end' starts is of course subject to debate)
2) one the Yankees HAVE to sign or their fans will revolt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's going to be the contract we thought Pujols would be except Pujols regressed immediately instead of five years down the line

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

It's going to be the contract we thought Pujols would be except Pujols regressed immediately instead of five years down the line
Well it turned out Pujols' specific problem was that he signed for the Angels. If he'd stayed with St. Louis he'd probably have 4,000 hits and 900 home runs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yay
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1591615338269089793

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I was watching Rookie of the Year and I don't get why Chet Steadman's nickname is Rocket when The Jet is better.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If your bar is "the 98-02 Yankees" then you are going to be sorely disappointed probably for the rest of your life.

I was going to keep my nerd poo poo to myself because it's all very unscientific, but out of genuine curiosity to how the Astros current run fits in with "dynasty" level runs for MLB teams in the World Series era, I started creating some models. In doing so, I was reminded how insane the Yankees were between about 1996 to 2004. Obviously the Yankees from the late 1920s through the mid 1960s are the biggest dynasty the sport will likely ever have (19 WS titles in 36 seasons, averaging well over 60% win rate in the regular season, etc.), but aside from that era the late 90s Yankees are the strongest dynasty by a longshot. In fact, the ten-year run of 1996-2005 is right up there with a lot of the first-half of the century Yankee runs. If you narrow it down to a 6-year window, they are on par with a lot of the 6-year windows of the first-half century Yankees.

After that, depending on which window you choose (6, 8, 10 years are what I did) it's a significant drop to the Cardinals of the 1940s (the era of Stan the Man), the Reds of the 1970s (the "Big Red Machine"), the Philly Athletics in the 19aughts to the 1910s (the era of Connie Mack and the "$100,00 infield") , the Oakland A's of the late 60s and early 70s (the "Swingin' A's" and "The Mustache Gang"), or yes even the current Astros. Just to put some of my BS numbers to it, the 90s Yankees grade out anywhere from 25 to 50% stronger than the 1940s Cardinals, which was consistently the strongest non-Yankee dynasty for each of those windows.

We are unlikely to see a team put together a run like the late 90s-early aughts Yankees again in our lifetime, especially now that free agency exists and there are 30 teams.

e: for my fellow Astros fans, no matter how I tweak the scoring/coefficients, this current Astros run is at least a top-10 dynasty :unsmith:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is apropos of nothing but I was listening to a podcast that referenced Ser Barrold hitting a dinger on a swing that broke his bat and I had to look it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Xs0sNh3ZM

I'll be goddamned. Real life isn't The Sand Lot and anything that breaks the bat/ball is just energy spent on that effort rather than being imparted on the ball and its crazy that he did this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Barry Bonds single handedly ushered in the maple bat era and should be tried with attempted murder on Tyler Colvin.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

General Bullshit posted:

I was watching Rookie of the Year and I don't get why Chet Steadman's nickname is Rocket when The Jet is better.

Already taken by Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm has MLB considered the decline of youth interest in baseball corresponds exactly with the end of movies in which 12 year old boys are contrived to join and in many cases run major league baseball teams

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1591812834509615105

That's insanely good news and I want this guy to be the next manager of the Astros but he's gonna get poached if he doesn't get the big job soon

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 13, 2022

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
The Yankees need to move on from that loser Aaron Judge and bring in Known Winner David Eckstein to replace him

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1591812834509615105

That's insanely good news and I want this guy to be the next manager of the Astros but he's gonna get poached if he doesn't get the big job soon

Maybe there's a secret "as soon as Dusty retires you get automagically promoted to manager" clause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

since Judge is an acknowledged loser then nobody in The Bronx will be upset when he loses out on MVP to Our Perfect Boy