Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ColdBlooded posted:

The Yankees need to move on from that loser Aaron Judge and bring in Known Winner David Eckstein to replace him

It's as easy as 123

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1591812834509615105

That's insanely good news and I want this guy to be the next manager of the Astros but he's gonna get poached if he doesn't get the big job soon

Espada has been interviewing for five years. Starting to seem like he's not much of an interview.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

when do we enter the deal zone?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Traxis posted:

when do we enter the deal zone?

Stuff doesn't usually pick up until the Winter meetings (in December).

Do the Astros have a GM yet?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Do the Astros have a GM yet?

I heard Aaron Judge is out of work right now, they should give him a call.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

I heard Aaron Judge is out of work right now, they should give him a call.

Brian Cashman doesn't have a contract either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Brian Cashman doesn't have a contract either.

It's in his certificate of adoption as an official member of the Steinbrenner family.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/HelloCullen/status/1591297231659098113

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Already taken by Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez

Wow both those films came out in the same year, just months apart. Little Big League came out a year later. What an era for baseball movies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

Wow both those films came out in the same year, just months apart. Little Big League came out a year later. What an era for baseball movies.

Major League 2 as well.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Goddamn that movie fuckin sucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Griffey as a dickhead villain who wins was loving dope.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Goddamn that movie fuckin sucks.

Major League 2? Yeah, it does indeed suck. And somehow Back to the Minors is even worse.

But, remember: The list of actually good comedy sequels is very short.

Timby fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 14, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1591866241635209217

The headline is slightly misleading because it's but all about Meyers. Crane apparently told Click to get deals since with Hendricks and Marte and both deals are at the finish line when Click mixed them both

Crane was apparently frustrated with Clicks "Tampa Bay mentality"

Crane wasn't happy they didn't make a big splash at the trade deadline this year as well. Hey Crane how did it work out though

e: it's also pretty funny that this is about relief pitching and center field specifically considering that Click built the best pen in the league and Chas made massive, massive plays with both his bat and glove throughout the playoffs

It's also pretty telling that Click balked at giving huge contracts to relievers because he understands how fungible they are from year to year, and the second he's out the door they give a huge contract to Montero who is coming off the only good year of his career and was showing a lot of cracks toward the end of the season

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 14, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CF was a huge headache all season, it wasn't clear Chas was the guy until the end of September. Turns out out of all of em George Springer was the guy they should've resigned.

Anyway, that all seems like reasonable personnel and baseball philosophy and not any kind of eViL aStRoS FO CuLtUre. It does concern me mainly because meddlesome ownership never works out. I think that Montero contract is going to prove to be a real bad idea but it's not like they handcuffed themselves to Albert Pujols for the 10 shittiest seasons of his career.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's another thing. There's an insistence Crane was willing to spend the money to make these moves happen.... so why not spend the money to keep Springer and not have to worry about it at all

Unless Springer just wanted out to get away from the banging

(granted Springer signed a significantly larger contract than Marte)

e: But yes there does seem to be a massive disconnect between the team philosophies the two wanted and the owner's always gonna win that one

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 14, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
How likely is Triston McKenzie to improve upon 2022? He's almost never mentioned (because Bieber), but I wonder if people think his '22 is flukey.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I personally think McKenzie is very good. I doubt he ever improves on a 2.96 ERA but do think low-mid threes and 180+ innings is pretty feasible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Crane wasn't happy they didn't make a big splash at the trade deadline this year as well. Hey Crane how did it work out though

Uh didn't Click have a trade lined up for Contreras that Crane nixed? :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crane nixed it on advice from Dusty, who "heard from somebody" that Contreras would be bad for clubhouse chemistry. Also it was a bad deal anyway!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I just think it's funny that Click had a deadline deal ready to go for an AS player that Crane said no to, and is now crying about how Click didn't make any sweet deadline trades.

Crane kinda seems like an rear end in a top hat, not that that's a particularly amazing revelation for an MLB owner.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Crane has always been a giant piece of poo poo, look up his hiring practices pre buying the Astros.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm starting to think Jim Crane might be -- like all owners -- bad!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Crane can be as much of a dickhead as he wants if we keep winning but this is worrying in that it could be the start of a slide

I'm actually not as down on the Montero deal as most Astros fans specifically because it's only 3 years and because I have faith that the Astros really do have a coaching staff that can markedly improve pitchers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's 33

Also how long are you supposed to bask in the glow of a world championship before you start to feel hungry for another one

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crane has always been a giant piece of poo poo, look up his hiring practices pre buying the Astros.

Past issues of discrimination hiring minorities and women, taking on a controversial domestic abusing closer and then the whole Taubman incident.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

How likely is Triston McKenzie to improve upon 2022? He's almost never mentioned (because Bieber), but I wonder if people think his '22 is flukey.

I feel like if he put on 30lbs he would start throwing 5 MPH faster but it might be a reverse Sabathia situation where he lost weight and pitched worse.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Crane nixed it on advice from Dusty, who "heard from somebody" that Contreras would be bad for clubhouse chemistry. Also it was a bad deal anyway!

I'm assuming Dusty thought it would be bad for chemistry because there's no way you can trade for Contreras and not start him over Maldy. Vazquez got to ride the pine most of the time he was here

Dusty is incredibly set on starting certain guys, such as Maldy or for whatever reason giving Dubon so much playing time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I'm assuming Dusty thought it would be bad for chemistry because there's no way you can trade for Contreras and not start him over Maldy. Vazquez got to ride the pine most of the time he was here

Yeah it's this, Maldonado had a good rapport with the Astros pitching staff and Dusty was afraid making them all suddenly work with a new catcher who he'd be obligated to start and does not have a very good reputation as a game caller/pitcher manager.

Granted, making your starters learn how to work with a new catcher out of nowhere down the stretch is always a concern, even with guys who are known as good defenders. It's the reason big splashy trades at the deadline usually aren't for catchers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mancini was supposed to be the answer at DH, it just didn't pan out unfortunately. Anyway the Astros traded for position players for their two worst performing positional batters and then sat them for most of the rest of the season. Of course Yuli ended up raking in the playoffs and Silver Slugger Finalist Martin Maldanado is probably a big reason the Astros staff was so good this year (and everyone on the staff absolutely loves him), so it all ended up working out.

I don't know if another major league team has a catcher who bats as poorly as Maldy play every day, and not for his defensive ability, which is average, but for his game-calling skill.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's wild how long Maldonado's career has been considering he's a 72 OPS+ hitter. I remember when he was with Milwaukee thinking he wouldn't be in the league very long or anything but a backup catcher.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every team could have a Maldy behind the plate if we implement my plan for a 2nd DH for catchers

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Shine posted:

Griffey as a dickhead villain who wins was loving dope.

It's pretty accurate and awesome. Super underrated movie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1592240723805761537

Adios Heyward, thanks for the rain delay speech. Now it's time for the Cubs to start the next era by signing one of the SS FA's to a massive 8 year deal and watch them also immediately turn into a pumpkin.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

come home jason, you can't be worse than ozuna

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Is there anybody left on the Cubs from the 2016 team now? Assuming Contreras leaves

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MrMidnight posted:

Is there anybody left on the Cubs from the 2016 team now?

Hendricks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Is there anybody left on the Cubs from the 2016 team now?

"Cool" Kyle Hendricks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hendricks himself had a pretty miserable couple months before getting shut down with a shoulder injury so who knows what his role will be in 2023. I'd love for him to have a bounce back but it kinda feels like between all the young arms and FA's the Cubs are supposedly looking at like Senga I wouldn't be shocked to see Kyle end up in the pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Closer Kyle