Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ratjaculation posted:

Why do so many accounts on Twitter with hundreds of thousands or millions of followers get only a couple hundred likes on their posts? Do they buy followers? Bots?

Even Musk with 115 million followers in his current headline making post spree is only getting a few hundred thousand likes. I'd expect more.

Generally, not many people like posts.

Elon is getting a lot now because supporting Elon has become a right wing political chud cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ratjaculation posted:

Why do so many accounts on Twitter with hundreds of thousands or millions of followers get only a couple hundred likes on their posts? Do they buy followers? Bots?

Even Musk with 115 million followers in his current headline making post spree is only getting a few hundred thousand likes. I'd expect more.

https://pimpmyacc.com/

There are a few websites like this. $330 USD/month gets you 10k twitter followers .

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume most people just don’t do likes. They see a tweet and just move on unless it goes viral for whatever reason

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
trying to put in my two weeks but elon fired all the guys responsible for that so now im in job purgatory

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The like system is stupid because it's a voting system but it also tracks your likes and associates them with you. So you sort of have to make a decision if you're going to just hit 'like' on every single post you like to make the number go up and show support or if you actually want your likes to mean something and/or want your likes tab to be full of things you might actually want to look back over instead of just everything you've ever seen in your feed.

Sometimes if you find an account with good content you can go into their likes and find a bunch of other stuff that lines up with what they post, but a lot of times it's just white noise because they like every single reply to their tweets or something.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Elon, code in a Twitter leper's colony. tia

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Collapsed pyramid corporate structure

Advantages:
Large man can make dumb tweets, people are afraid to contest the fame which makes for a room full of toadies

Disadvantages:
Things are as codependent as the large man making dumb tweets, but do not move at the speed of his tweets or really with much vector velocity (lmfao) at all

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Ratjaculation posted:

The real answer to this is that social media metrics are even less meaningful then Nielsen ratings.

A person can have their life profoundly changed by information contained in a post and spend the rest of their lives preaching the gospel of the tweet, and never like, share or subscribe.

Conversely a person (definitely not me) can spend $100 on fake Philippine followers to qualify as popular enough for $10,000 in arts grants.

It's all just nonsense.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

How does it feel to tell the ceo of your own company he sucks on your own product

https://twitter.com/sachee/status/1591857120768843776?s=21&t=

Another good one

https://twitter.com/sachee/status/1586044469262299138?s=21&t=

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Waffle House posted:

https://pimpmyacc.com/

There are a few websites like this. $330 USD/month gets you 10k twitter followers .

Oh yeah that industry is fascinating. The podcast Darknet Diaries noticed how no name shows would break into the iTunes Charts despite not having good content or a fanbase and be ahead of major shows, then a week later plummet into obscurity. He dug into it and found an overseas company that for a trivial fee would use their tens of thousands of iTunes accounts to mass subscribe in a way that pleased the algorithm.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Elon would swallow his pride, He would choke on the rime
But the lack thereof would leave Twitter empty inside
Bots swallow his doubt, turn it inside out
Find nothin but faith in Tesla
Wanna put my Twitter heart in a blender
Watch Eve6 troll to a beautiful oblivion

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1591900292463079424?s=20&t=IH3fyBIaY6tl7N5LW-hRvA

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

sugar free jazz posted:

lol open kimono is actually derived from the Japanese phrase 陰茎 which translates to something like casual lunch, a reference to loosening of traditional business formality

Literally perfect.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eve6 constantly dunking on Mousek is not something I would ever have expected to see, and I am here for it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

How does it feel to tell the ceo of your own company he sucks on your own product

https://twitter.com/sachee/status/1591857120768843776?s=21&t=

Another good one

https://twitter.com/sachee/status/1586044469262299138?s=21&t=

"Car engineers" is being extremely generous here

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

"Car engineers" is being extremely generous here

They are saying that Elon got Tesla engineers to review the code, and he's tweeting based on their reports.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah that industry is fascinating. The podcast Darknet Diaries noticed how no name shows would break into the iTunes Charts despite not having good content or a fanbase and be ahead of major shows, then a week later plummet into obscurity. He dug into it and found an overseas company that for a trivial fee would use their tens of thousands of iTunes accounts to mass subscribe in a way that pleased the algorithm.

Yep. Supposedly it's basically pay $1,000 make $3-5, maybe $10,000 a month as long as you keep cranking out garbage.

Given how easy it is to just make that kind of money doing abject bullshit and posting it on YouTube, start thinking about the jobs% and the sizes and dollar amounts involved in this market segment.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I'd be talking in a meeting and say "open the... " and could see every other woman in the room pre-emptively cringing. I add "... vest" and we sail right along without the added blood pressure.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Aramis posted:

They are saying that Elon got Tesla engineers to review the code, and he's tweeting based on their reports.

Yes I understand that, I just would call them something different, like pyromaniacs, for example.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I have no clue what "batched RPC" means and don't think Elon knows either.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Unperson_47 posted:

Elon, code in a Twitter leper's colony. tia

You keep posting terrorist material. Next time it'll ramp up. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

I have no clue what "batched RPC" means and don't think Elon knows either.

Batched RPCs are, for various technical reasons, ridiculously fundamental to having acceptable performance when doing GPU-based Machine Learning stuff in your backend architecture. As long as you are using a decent multiplexing tunnel, like gRPC, they don't really matter much for run-of-the-mill operations like authentication or doing a one-shot fetch from a database.

It's no surprise that Tesla engineers have a strong bias in favor of them. And Elon not understanding that the logic doesn't transfer is not surprising either.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 13, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Owned by your own web site.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Aramis posted:

Batched RPCs are, for various technical reasons, ridiculously fundamental to having acceptable performance when doing GPU-based Machine Learning stuff in your backend architecture. As long as you are using a decent multiplexing tunnel, like gRPC, they don't really matter much for run-of-the-mill operations like authentication or doing a one-shot fetch from a database.

It's no surprise that Tesla engineers have a strong bias in favor of them. And Elon not understanding that the logic doesn't transfer is not surprising either.

Remote procedure calls are also how twitter translates the external timeline API (graphql) to the internal API (gRPC)

One external call = many internal calls. This is how you split up work effectively, because a team can have their own internal API that they own.

But if you can most of the teams everyone touches everything, like at Tesla. That's worked out great for them I be- oh that car just parked it's way into that brick wall via those people. Ok.

Edwardly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 13, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wonder how many laughing, crying emojis ol' Musk is gonna give this one

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Aramis posted:

Edwardly posted:

Remote procedure calls are also how twitter translates the external timeline API (graphql) to the internal API (gRPC)

One external call = many internal calls. This is how you split up work effectively, because a team can have their own internal API that they own.

But if you can most of the teams everyone touches everything, like at Tesla. That's worked out great for them I be- oh that car just parked it's way into that brick wall via those people. Ok.

Thanks for educating my ignorant rear end, friends <3

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Owned by your own web site.

Elon Musk bought Twitter but he is the one who got owned

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

elon was going to fight the bots until one of the engineers pointed out he'd lose over 80% of his followers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think a big reason for the low likes/engagement on a tweet from an account with millions of followers is that the vast, vast, vaaaaaast majority of the follows are extremely low engagement users, most of whom probably signed up, added a bunch of famous people they know, and then got bored/distracted and never logged in again.

It’s actually kind of hard to be a casual twitter user, you’re getting hit with a firehose of constantly updating and changing content and you might be completely lost when you peek back in because you have no idea what everyone is on about in the latest twitter bruhaha.

This was my experience when I started to step away, it got easier the longer I stayed off it because at a certain point you kind of don’t feel connected at all to it so it just doesn’t grab you the way it does if you’re constantly refreshing it.

E: and that’s not even counting the number of bots, which could be better organized to like posts of certain people they are tasked to follow etc.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1591903774062288897

drat

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 14, 2022

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
It's also because a lot of big accounts make lovely posts and just aren't good at using twitter. As Musky is currently learning right now, just because you can buy followers doesn't mean you can buy goodwill or posting prowess, and if your posts suck nobody is going to like them.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Musk: "🤣🤣"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

pablo gbscobar posted:

It's also because a lot of big accounts make lovely posts and just aren't good at using twitter. As Musky is currently learning right now, just because you can buy followers doesn't mean you can buy goodwill or posting prowess, and if your posts suck nobody is going to like them.

To give him a tiny bit of a defense here, Elon's twitter account is probably one of the 3-4 that could credibly have a ton of bot-followers without having bought them.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

More Tesla lols

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1591918229089390593?s=20

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

priznat posted:

Anyone who complains about “woke poo poo” or wants to fight “wokeism” is just telling on themselves in the most pathetic way.

Hearing that is the quickest way to make me realize this person’s opinions are terrible and is probably a huge rear end in a top hat.

Oh, Liberal-kun, I'm so happy to find you in this server room. giggle I'm trying to find the Woke Algorithm machine but maybe a strong, woke, Obama liker, might be able to help me find it.

Have you noticed that it gets so dang hot down here? I just had to .... open my kimono... Liberal-kuun~

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 13, 2022

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Elon has a fully fledged case of conspiracy-brain, at this stage there is an inevitable deterioration until Musk is a flat-earth QAnon believer.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591895343570243585
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591898909126922240
Preserved for when he takes the coward's path of deleting his posts:

This is the conspiracy theory Musk is on board with:
https://twitter.com/CaptainTRB/status/1591917778793287682

In other news, with Musk raiding the couch cushions around Twitter HQ for spare change:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591885013913849856
https://twitter.com/_hawko/status/1591909771124539393
Even if he wasn't lying, the daily cost per employee is obviously going to be different now that he's ordered everyone back to the office full-time. So why justify cancelling free lunches based on a circumstance that no longer exists? Rhetorical question obviously, it's because Musk is an idiot.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 13, 2022

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I just hope @dril has a home and big platform after Twitter burns. I love that person so god drat much.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

my prediction is that Elon sells Twittter to Yilong Ma for ¥250,000 in April

money... uhh... give to ya. this is the best possible outcome.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Big fan of current and former Twitter employees directly contracting Elmo. Tastes good every time.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is it just me or is the guy with the afro that Musk apparently has hate boner for in that picture doing an uhhh, sterotypical hand gesture and pose?

Like for gently caress sakes you Apartheid gently caress, just say you are an anti-semite already, it's so loving obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
A video of my product killing two people after losing control?
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1591834989829951490?s=46&t=TqDt_RUKMS5kz-gmpqeNpw
🤣🤣🤣