Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

so are mario games and kirby games what's your point
Actually they’re not, as evidenced by the games actually being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Mario is “for kids” in the sense that you can let your six year old play Mario Odyssey, and they’ll be able to do stuff and have fun and you don’t need to worry about them seeing anything inappropriate. But Mario Odyssey is also really fun if you’re a Mature Gamer, because the mechanics have depth and the game gives you lots of opportunity to get as technical as you want.

There’s no reason Pokemon couldn’t be “for kids” in the same way, without the constant dumbing down and removal of features they’re doing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Randallteal posted:

Always have been, actually. This whole framing is stupid, though. There's no reason to assume they took out Set Mode because it was too complicated for kids unless you're an adult who's self conscious about playing "kid games". They probably just took it out because their user data showed nobody was using or something.

this is probably it tbh

my anecdotal evidence is that only one person i've talked to IRL knew what that was without googling it and he got real mad about it being gone while everyone else went "oh okay" and moved on with their lives

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't like level scaling. I think FF 8 was bad about it, but I haven't played it in forever.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The true challenging content of some Mario games are the optional stuff like Sunshine's hidden levels, comets in the Galaxies, or the postgame stuff in Odyssey. Pokemon is a similar deal with multiplayer battles or whatever derivative of the Battle Tower they have for that specific game, like I don't see a kid getting Gold Emblems the Battle Frontier.

The only time I'd say the mainline games' campaign is truly "difficult" is Sinnoh's Elite 4.

An Actual Princess posted:

i mean depending on where you go it can get difficult. it's real easy to wander into places way stronger than you

Thinking about that lvl 85 Garchomp you can run into in Legends Arceus when your mons are in their 40s-50s

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 13, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

The true challenging content of some Mario games are the optional stuff like Sunshine's hidden levels, comets in the Galaxies, or the postgame stuff in Odyssey. Pokemon is a similar deal with multiplayer battles or whatever derivative of the Battle Tower they have for that specific game, like I don't see a kid getting Gold Emblems the Battle Frontier.

The only time I'd say the mainline games' campaign is truly "difficult" is Sinnoh's Elite 4.

Thinking about that lvl 85 Garchomp you can run into in Legends Arceus when your mons are in their 40s-50s
I'll have you know things like the Chucksters are not optional, which is hilarious to me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Randallteal posted:

Always have been, actually. This whole framing is stupid, though. There's no reason to assume they took out Set Mode because it was too complicated for kids unless you're an adult who's self conscious about playing "kid games". They probably just took it out because their user data showed nobody was using or something.

it still doesn't make sense if you assume that's the case. it's a behavior that's already built into the game because multiplayer is a thing, all the setting does is make the AI battles behave like the multiplayer battles. It can't be more than a couple lines of code that they can just copy/paste from the previous games, so why go out of their way to remove it? it's even more confusing because Pokemon Arceus battles were automatically in Set mode.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Pokemon has so many problems worse than missing set mode. Like the dogshit story, zero challenge gameplay, zero reason to use any strategy other than picking your beefiest dude and wailing on the opponent, and nothing worth exploring. Pokemon Sw/Sh was so awful that it was basically a worse version of FF13 hallway simulator. Yes the series is aimed toward kids, but kids aren't that loving stupid. Pokemon R/B/Y and B/W2 were for kids and they weren't braindead experiences.

Edit: forgot to add the games are rear end ugly for how poo poo they run.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dpulexed again

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

I don't like level scaling. I think FF 8 was bad about it, but I haven't played it in forever.

FF8 at least gave you the options of stapling spells to your forehead to become super-powerful and to eventually switch off all non-scripted fights to prevent your constant fighting to gently caress you over via level scaling.

I don't know how a Pokemon-version of that would even look like - staple those weird disc-things to your poke peoples' hide instead of learning the skills inside to gain insane stat bonuses? Like, junction 10 electro smog discs to your Pikachu and suddenly, it gets +100 attack

Edit:

In terms of challenge, Poke-games are in a good spot right now. I played through Sword while half asleep, just chilling and collecting my own personal zoo and eventually learning a bit of the mechanics when some of the latter gym masters dumpstered my rear end. I don't get why there has to be a challenge mode, but then again I also don't get why people playing Wizardry 8 start weeping the ninth time a space wizard cast the spell KILL ALL and wiped the entire party at once, so my view of proper balancing may be heavily off balance

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 13, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

PowerBeard posted:

Fight or kiss you cowards! I want that detective Pikachu game they promised for the Switch.

Big :same:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Andrast posted:

pikachu should say gently caress

He should say the c word in the australian version

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tactics Ogre has been a good challenge without properly preparing for some of these battles.

I was going to make a joke about Pokemon Tactics but a quick google shows me "Pokemon Conquest" already exists... surprised I never heard of this one.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On non-Pokemon related things, I've played a bit more of Bayonetta 3 and... I'm feeling mixed now. I'm startinf to see the asset reuse more clearly, and the first two "arcs" have had the literal same formula of Bayonetta visits a new world, meets a cool alternate self, said Bayo gets merked out of nowhere, the big baddy gloats how it's all useless. 1&2 had this whole journey feeling of going towards a destination, even if they were 100% linear.

Combat is... fine, I do feel like enemies have too much bloat unless you spa summons, and having moves linked to the R button is too much for my brain so I barely use unlockables. Viola is fun to play but blocking is kinda hard when enemies love to cover the screen with their rear end. At least Chesire is OP and her theme rocks.

Funniky enough I enjoy the big gameplay swerves unlike most reviewers, they do serve a nice break from the combat loop for me, and the one where you fight reject Monkey King with Madame Butterfly while she takes a cloud bath was 10/10. And also the fact levels have tons of collectables to incentivize exploring.

I do hope I warm up as I advance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Funniky enough I enjoy the big gameplay swerves unlike most reviewers, they do serve a nice break from the combat loop for me, and the one where you fight reject Monkey King with Madame Butterfly while she takes a cloud bath was 10/10.

that was the fuckin worst! it's a goofy and fun concept sure but holy poo poo was it dreadful to actually play. she takes a whole drat year to do one loving attack!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Electromax posted:

Tactics Ogre has been a good challenge without properly preparing for some of these battles.

I was going to make a joke about Pokemon Tactics but a quick google shows me "Pokemon Conquest" already exists... surprised I never heard of this one.

Pokemon Conquest was a very fun but basic game and a sequel that really refined and expanded on it would have been perfect. Maybe it will be a pokemon snap situation and 10 years from now it will come

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is Chrono Trigger seriously not available on the Switch

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

it’s truly baffling

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've had a Switch for four months, and the A button now takes more effort to press. I use to be able to gently tap it with the side of my thumb, now I have to firmly press down on it. Is this a common issue with joycons? Is there another type of controller that doesn't wear out like this?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 14, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Escape Goat posted:

It's on my Snes classic mini... :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mister Facetious posted:

:hfive:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A button being harder to press sounds like the opposite of wearing out. It's getting stronger. Or you're getting weaker

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the button is winning the power struggle

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Chamale posted:

I've had a Switch for four months, and the A button now takes more effort to press. I use to be able to gently tap it with the side of my thumb, now I have to firmly press down on it. Is this a common issue with joycons? Is there another type of controller that doesn't wear out like this?

Theres cum in it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chamale posted:

Hori Split Pad Compact

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Combat is... fine, I do feel like enemies have too much bloat unless you spa summons, and having moves linked to the R button is too much for my brain so I barely use unlockables. Viola is fun to play but blocking is kinda hard when enemies love to cover the screen with their rear end. At least Chesire is OP and her theme rocks.

Viola's combat so far to me seems like "poke the enemy uselessly with sword swings, hit the Cheshire summon at the end and they suddenly explode." I don't recall Bayonetta's combo summons being so back-loaded on damage and I'm wondering if I missed something/

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Pokémon games are for literal children.

Nintendo/GameFreak deliberately targets people in their 30s by constantly going back to Kanto/Generation 1 Pokemon. The games are for children first, sure, but they know that adults are buying these games too otherwise they wouldn’t constantly be marketing things to nostalgic millennials.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bruceski posted:

Viola's combat so far to me seems like "poke the enemy uselessly with sword swings, hit the Cheshire summon at the end and they suddenly explode." I don't recall Bayonetta's combo summons being so back-loaded on damage and I'm wondering if I missed something/

I feel like weapon attacks are built for comboing and Demon Slave for damage. Viola is just stronger in that aspect because Chesire does his own thing and Viola can attack, which is probably more damage.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Bruceski posted:

Bayo's combos also tend to be pretty backloaded with most weapons.

I'm not going to pretend to be a Viola expert (I do not have the muscle memory for her block offset, I screw it up all the time) but in addition to charging attacks for more damage she has some really good attacks on her special inputs. The R+forward+A blade toss in particular seems really great: it charges very quickly, and it does a ton of damage in a huge lingering hitbox while letting you do hand to hand combos at the same time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone play the Densha Go games on Switch? I love the idea of buying the controller and being a train boy. How are they?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

I'm disappointed by the emulator selection not having many RPGs in general. I think there's just Phantasy Star IV, depending on what you put into that pile?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s because most JRPG games from that era worth a drat have already been remastered or rereleased in some capacity and they don’t want to compromise that by by putting a rom of the original on the service. Same reason you don’t see like the megaman games for example

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Bruceski posted:

I'm disappointed by the emulator selection not having many RPGs in general. I think there's just Phantasy Star IV, depending on what you put into that pile?

So soon we forget about Earthbound after the years of fighting for it. And surely Mother 3 will follow right behind it soon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

earthbound is not a jrpg, it's an earthbound-like

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Augus posted:

earthbound is not a jrpg, it's an earthbound-like

But they're right, I did forget about it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mister Facetious posted:

With the full orchestral soundtrack?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Does anyone play the Densha Go games on Switch? I love the idea of buying the controller and being a train boy. How are they?

Why Densha Go buy them and find out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chronojam posted:

With the full orchestral soundtrack?

Pretty sure the snes mini doesn't have the physical storage for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I saw some of the leaked Pokemon evolutions.

I'm still gonna stick with :420: Cat, but :gay: Duck looks absolutely fabulous.