Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cool, RU ministry of justice proposed to make public the "foreign agent" and "extremist" databases including home addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Cool, RU ministry of justice proposed to make public the "foreign agent" and "extremist" databases including home addresses.

Ah yes, doing a Mirotvorets on steroids after moaning about it for 10 years.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sekenr posted:

"It's understandable that our patriots get mad at these traitors, unfortunately, our police has more important work to do than babysit them 24/7. Better move them into camps for their own protection."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Reading the law, the address part is only for organisations, it looks like. For individuals, it's 'only' their tax ID and social security ID. On the plus side, they'll have to publish why the person is considered a foreign agent. Previously, just to find out, you had to go to court and try to prove you are not one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Reading the law, the address part is only for organisations, it looks like. For individuals, it's 'only' their tax ID and social security ID. On the plus side, they'll have to publish why the person is considered a foreign agent. Previously, just to find out, you had to go to court and try to prove you are not one.

Ah, that is in fact fine enough change, then.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

I beg people for the love of god to stop paying attention to Putin's Dark Professor. He's not part of the "propaganda machine" -- he's not influential and has essentially been removed from the establishment.

Sounds like he's about to be removed from Russian society and probably existence very soon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Putin being removed as a precondition was never a serious demand, it was clearly never gonna happen. So I wouldn't read too much into this either.
It was probably in there as a mirror of Putin's regime change demand, which is v smart.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lots of rumours of UA crossing the Kinburn Spit near Kherson and a potential flanking attack on the forces across the river. This feels like it might be intentional misinformation designed to distract Russia and prevent them from moving all of their forces to the eastern front. If it's true, however, it could be a huge problem for Russia. UA will have fire control over that whole area and all approaches.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1591853699407958016

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1591867141707689984

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1591906563983376384

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kinburn rumours beg to ask what sort of bridging equipment would they be running, assuming that the intended implication is that this is a non-comedy force capable of routing Russian forces at the banks, where there should be weeks work of fortifications work over a 15 kilometres deep coastal buffer zone.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kinburn rumours beg to ask what sort of bridging equipment would they be running, assuming that the intended implication is that this is a non-comedy force capable of routing Russian forces at the banks, where there should be weeks work of fortifications work over a 15 kilometres deep coastal buffer zone.

Apparently the area is pretty swampy and hard to actually fortify (and supply), and the only well defended area was the western portion of it. I was hearing speculation that Ukraine would relatively quickly be able to retake that area for days now. Of course, this is also an issue for Ukraine of actually using the position to make any real further gain beyond that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The implication from the footage is that it's mostly just boats rather than an actual bridge. It's pretty suspect though, lots of stuff like this that gives you no context for where they actually are:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1591868195736289280

I'm not sure how well any entrenched Russia forces will do in that area due to the artillery Ukraine could focus there. It'd be a very unpleasant place to try to hold for the Russians, but it just seems way too risky compared to what we're used to from Ukraine.

I think they're probably just making lots of noise about it so that Russia is forced to keep more troops there to repel them just in case.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 13, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's a shallow coastal cape, not much you can do to make it defensible when you are within artillery range. Neither does it offer much value for either side except as an observation post. So kind of like Snake Island.

Expect to hear more about Ukrainian special forces operating on the river. All those little swamp islands in the middle of the stream need to be secured to make sure that Russians don't leave a hidden forward observing post right across Kherson centre.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nenonen posted:

It's a shallow coastal cape, not much you can do to make it defensible when you are within artillery range. Neither does it offer much value for either side except as an observation post. So kind of like Snake Island.

Expect to hear more about Ukrainian special forces operating on the river. All those little swamp islands in the middle of the stream need to be secured to make sure that Russians don't leave a hidden forward observing post right across Kherson centre.

Ya there's going to be a lot of stories about "offensives" that are just positioning skirmishes in the coming weeks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Apparently the area is pretty swampy and hard to actually fortify (and supply), and the only well defended area was the western portion of it. I was hearing speculation that Ukraine would relatively quickly be able to retake that area for days now. Of course, this is also an issue for Ukraine of actually using the position to make any real further gain beyond that.

I meant fortifications as in getting anywhere useful, like the opposite end of the Antonovskiy bridge. The delta swamp is only interesting in terms of sweeping it for scouting installations or caches for Russian contingent left blending in. As in, that this is going to be made to be made much more to be than it is in practice, for now anyway.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

I expected more from Defmon.........

So you are telling me that your proposal intends to try and build up forces across the waterway which has to be supplied by watercraft and purposely leave yourself trapped in a peninsula and *this* is the springboard for the next attack? Please.

Maybe there are some UA guys there. Sure. But to suggest that this could end up being one of two prongs of a major movement to clear the rest of the Kherson district on the Russian side of the Dnipro as depicted seems exceedingly unlikely. How do you get your food, ammunition, and vehicles over there in the quantities needed for something like this?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Hannibal Rex posted:

If only there was some sort of convention about the treatment of POWs, that prohibited publishing videos of them.

Things that shouldn't be done to pows:
1. Murder
2. Torture
3. Used as human shields
4. Starved
5. Denied medical care
2999. Video recorded

Honestly who cares.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Things that shouldn't be done to pows:
1. Murder
2. Torture
3. Used as human shields
4. Starved
5. Denied medical care
2999. Video recorded

Honestly who cares.

Thread rules do.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MikeC posted:

I expected more from Defmon.........

So you are telling me that your proposal intends to try and build up forces across the waterway which has to be supplied by watercraft and purposely leave yourself trapped in a peninsula and *this* is the springboard for the next attack? Please.

Maybe there are some UA guys there. Sure. But to suggest that this could end up being one of two prongs of a major movement to clear the rest of the Kherson district on the Russian side of the Dnipro as depicted seems exceedingly unlikely. How do you get your food, ammunition, and vehicles over there in the quantities needed for something like this?

Food and ammo crossing is doable*, and the whole peninsula is in artillery range from the other side of the gulf so infantry can be supported, even if light on vehicles. I still think it's an unlikely COA, because I'm not sure what the peninsula buys you except for sea lane access to Kherson which seems of questionable utility, but my armchair is only lightly used.

*logistically. Probably. I am not a Marine.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

piL posted:

Food and ammo crossing is doable*, and the whole peninsula is in artillery range from the other side of the gulf so infantry can be supported, even if light on vehicles. I still think it's an unlikely COA, because I'm not sure what the peninsula buys you except for sea lane access to Kherson which seems of questionable utility, but my armchair is only lightly used.

It blocks the approaches to Mykolaiv, a major sea port, so securing it is probably economically (if not militarily) important.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1591830842178936834

Someone needs to tell these people that they won the dang midterms

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

saratoga posted:

It blocks the approaches to Mykolaiv, a major sea port, so securing it is probably economically (if not militarily) important.

I suppose the threat of Ukraine forces on the left bank is enough to both force Russia to commit forces to defend it, forces that would otherwise be heading off to Bakmut now. And that threat also means Russia can't put their artillery as close to the river as they would otherwise. So even without turning it into a full-on attack, the presence of limited Ukrainian forces on the left bank has some use.

If it's a light, mobile force they can pick up and go with ease, and to aid that they got lots of US intel to warn them of Russia's moves. So this seems only a bit bold but not crazy, if true.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ukraine is investigating 400 war crimes in Kherson

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63619280

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1591465600211382272?s=20&t=ngAftPvphRgCGfcqv9c_OQ

Satanists beware.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Everybody wants to have their own private army, especially when power struggles are on the horizon

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1591830216669732864?s=20&t=lf4-f31LpHJB4O8fu9qq-g

How in the hell would western countries ever have fought a war with Russia? Just the act of supplying a third party with arms is now depleting their ammo reserves I can't imagine what it would be like if NATO countries fought Russia (or China) directly. I know the military industrial complex must be LOVING this though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1591830216669732864?s=20&t=lf4-f31LpHJB4O8fu9qq-g

How in the hell would western countries ever have fought a war with Russia? Just the act of supplying a third party with arms is now depleting their ammo reserves I can't imagine what it would be like if NATO countries fought Russia (or China) directly. I know the military industrial complex must be LOVING this though.
It was expected that a conventional world war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact would at most last one or two months. Either the Reds reach the channel or the Soviet army and economy collapses.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The last time NATO was seriously concerned about a full scale Russian invasion was 30+ years ago. Equipment and priorities have changed.

Also the U.S. and other NATO countries aren't sending everything they have. They need to ensure they have sufficient stocks for their own forces.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

The implication from the footage is that it's mostly just boats rather than an actual bridge. It's pretty suspect though, lots of stuff like this that gives you no context for where they actually are:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1591868195736289280

I'm not sure how well any entrenched Russia forces will do in that area due to the artillery Ukraine could focus there. It'd be a very unpleasant place to try to hold for the Russians, but it just seems way too risky compared to what we're used to from Ukraine.

I think they're probably just making lots of noise about it so that Russia is forced to keep more troops there to repel them just in case.
I've seen the video in that tweet posted a couple of times, but I've not seen anything that definitely connects it to operations in Kinburn. Has anybody got a source to confirm that...? I mean given the opsec conditions that Ukraine seems to be operating under I don't see a reason why they would release this unless it was older footage or from a different area...
====
St Andrew's cross but St Javelin's goddamn pissed....

(sry - had to)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Charliegrs posted:

I thought it was because their doctrine leans heavily on air supremacy, not artillery. Anyway, I can’t see Ukraine seeking peace talks before they have cut the Russia/Crimea corridor at some point. Unless smaller agreements like ‘we don’t stop your water supply/ you stop bombing our electricity network’

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's seemingly contradictory signaling going to Ukraine, but imo it's not really as contradictory as it at first appears. On the one hand you have some 'look if you're going to do this you'd better do it sooner than later' messaging, but you also still have restatements of resolve to keep supplying Ukraine with everything necessary to do what they're trying to do.

I read that as signaling that 1) this is not going to turn into a forever war boondoggle or permanent supply of weapons 2) there's almost certainly a timeline in mind for when Ukraine could likely have this wrapped up and 3) they're pushing Ukraine to keep using the initiative that they've seized. The last part is more purely speculative, but it seems likely that there's a belief that Russia is closer to withdrawing a withdrawal to 2013 lines than they are to being pushed back to those lines militarily, so might as well have some negotiation lines of communication open should that start to seem preferable to eating another 8 months of himars strikes.

Charliegrs posted:

missiles and airpower, two things that the US has given Ukraine almost none of the total supply of, outside of a couple specific models of GMLRS.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 14, 2022

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

More than likely, this is the allies telling Ukraine to start trying some diplomacy.

There probably is some worry that the loss of cheap Russian natural gas does make it a pain to manufacture ammo in Europe. But the US could supply Ukraine indefinitely. The US did not pull out of any decade long conflicts anywhere because of lack of supplies.

On the other hand. Is this more about lack of old Warsaw Pact equipment to hand over? At what point does Ukraine end up a defacto NATO member because because everything got replaced with NATO equipment?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Charliegrs posted:

US has a massive stockpile of air-launched PGMs. In a real war, that's what was expected to do the real work. But since Ukraine has no western-pattern aircraft, they can't utilize them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Popete posted:

The last time NATO was seriously concerned about a full scale Russian invasion was 30+ years ago. Equipment and priorities have changed.

Also the U.S. and other NATO countries aren't sending everything they have. They need to ensure they have sufficient stocks for their own forces.

NATO can probably afford to send most of their war stocks simply because Ukraine is fighting the war those stockpiles were intended for. After this there is no significant military threat in Europe for several decades at least.

The Russian conventional forces are already a shadow of their pre-war selves, in 8 months they've burnt through stockpiles that took the entire Cold War to accumulate and it's going to take a long time to rebuild them to that level. In reality, given Russia's economy is a bit smaller than Italy's so unless they go North Korea-style with the military spending they're probably not getting close to their pre-war combat power.

The only other significant military threat to the western nations and their allies comes from North Korea and China, and US air and naval power is probably sufficient to take care of that for some time yet.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

I've seen the video in that tweet posted a couple of times, but I've not seen anything that definitely connects it to operations in Kinburn. Has anybody got a source to confirm that...? I mean given the opsec conditions that Ukraine seems to be operating under I don't see a reason why they would release this unless it was older footage or from a different area...
====

St Andrew's cross but St Javelin's goddamn pissed....

(sry - had to)

I smiled. :)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Properly organized Russian defense spending should go pretty far. They just try to do a lot of things at once: huge and modern land army, more planes than EU combined, strategic bomber forces, massive stockpiles of nukes with various delivery systems. And also navy, that's more than a couple subs for that extra nuclear revenge.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

More than likely, this is the allies telling Ukraine to start trying some diplomacy.

What kind of diplomacy could Ukraine even do esp with a enemy that does not negotiate in good faith and clearly still wants to genocide the entire country?

The allies also unerstand that as well. There's no diplomacy to be had until the Russian see some sort of sense. an thats still obviously some time away

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Russians are closing in on 8,000 major pieces of equipment, including 1500 tanks, visually confirmed lost. :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1592068009941946369

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

alex314 posted:

Properly organized Russian defense spending should go pretty far. They just try to do a lot of things at once: huge and modern land army, more planes than EU combined, strategic bomber forces, massive stockpiles of nukes with various delivery systems. And also navy, that's more than a couple subs for that extra nuclear revenge.

Don't forget the various steps in this process where money just dematerializes, while military leaders miraculously gain giant mansions.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What kind of diplomacy could Ukraine even do esp with a enemy that does not negotiate in good faith and clearly still wants to genocide the entire country?

The allies also unerstand that as well. There's no diplomacy to be had until the Russian see some sort of sense. an thats still obviously some time away

Ukraine successes should kick the war fatigue complaints from the allies down the road - they show results and pictures of happy liberated people should work on both politicians and ordinary people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tuna-Fish posted:

US has a massive stockpile of air-launched PGMs. In a real war, that's what was expected to do the real work. But since Ukraine has no western-pattern aircraft, they can't utilize them.
If only someone started training on NATO aircraft and armor 9 months ago :thunk:

I can see there being issues with some specific items like soviet artillery or tank shells but even there there's been time to ramp up production there. I assume this is just the regular "talks are good" post.