Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

I extremely need to know if it's intentional or if it's blue on blue.

when your pushing angus for information after succeeding the authority check where harry can shoot himself, if you turn your attention to the old dude he'll shoot you. i'm pretty sure perception notes that he's reaching for a gun as a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Roobanguy posted:

when your pushing angus for information after succeeding the authority check where harry can shoot himself, if you turn your attention to the old dude he'll shoot you. i'm pretty sure perception notes that he's reaching for a gun as a warning.

Oh okay, thought you meant at the tribunal.

Getting hit by a drunk hardy and getting a game over when you're joining them in the fight would have been a hell of a game over.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Okay, hear me out.

Joyce = Hillary Clinton. Everart = Bernie Sanders. In this essay i will

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
As president, I will distribute giant novelty checks...

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can we debate whose more evil between megarich light-bending guy and sunday friend

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MizuZero posted:

can we debate whose more evil between megarich light-bending guy and sunday friend

I don't think anyone has mentioned how Sunday Friend is a sex tourist taking advantage of the marginalized gays in Martenaise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People mention that all the time

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Light bending guy is so incredibly detached from most people's reality that it's hard to call him actively evil. He gets shipped about in his container to see cool things and watch number go up. Yeah he sucks because capitalism is exploitation but from memory he doesn't seem to get down and dirty with it like Joyce.

Sunday Friend is the worst.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vagabong posted:

I'm fairly certain the hardy boys had guns, it's just sort of poorly demonstrated in game. The whole tribunal post Harry getting shot is sort of confusingly laid out.

Also the death squad did at least three murders in Martinaise pre-tribunal as indicated by the kill markings on that one dudes gun and it's entirely unclear whether they were before or after they went rogue.

My presumption was that he'd killed three white people on other deployments, if only because I presume we would have heard of a non-communist-sniper shooting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I don't think they've actually done anything in Martinaise before the tribunal and that's part of why it's such a breaking point because they really want to kill someone but haven't been able to unleash that pent up violent energy beforehand.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

MizuZero posted:

I would say they're on about the same level of neolib- excuse me - *moralist* evil, just with different capacities to execute that evil.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's like arguing which is more evil the knight who kills peasants or the king who tells him to do it.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I've been playing through the game after having fallen off of it on release. I am currently on the 3rd day (Wednesday) and having a blast. I've been focusing on a physical build but spreading points around when necessary. I am glad I waited for the game to be fully voice acted, this is one of the few games where I don't skip over the voice acting after reading the text. I find my self savoring every conversation, hoping for a skill pop up or new interesting take on things from my body. This game OWNS!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My presumption was that he'd killed three white people on other deployments, if only because I presume we would have heard of a non-communist-sniper shooting.

I believe, if your perception is high enough, that you can notice three markings are newer than the others. But it has been a while.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's very fun that my communist apocalypse hobocop just landed his 3% rhetoric check to get in the billionaire shipping container, then was too stupid to come up with a deliberately bad business idea so he got 100 bux.

It's also very fun to be part of 1/166 cool people with good fashion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sebzilla posted:

Light bending guy is so incredibly detached from most people's reality that it's hard to call him actively evil. He gets shipped about in his container to see cool things and watch number go up. Yeah he sucks because capitalism is exploitation but from memory he doesn't seem to get down and dirty with it like Joyce.

Sunday Friend is the worst.

Personally he may be the worst, but institutionally light bending guy is, imo.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's like arguing which is more evil the knight who kills peasants or the king who tells him to do it.

Also this though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The king's zooted on purple cocaine, he doesn't know what he's doing.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Ms Joyce is helping me secure my factory

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The two white figures are at the end; it's pretty clear they've already killed people in martinaise by the time you get to the tribunal, even if they were so unimportant that nobody noticed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just finished a playthrough - kind of wish I played sooner since I ended up a bit colored by watching a friend play through a decent chunk, but it didn't really ruin the experience, since I went for fairly different stats, though I did feel a little guilty for knowing how to prepare for some things.

I will admit I did save scum a little - nothing stupid or absurd like rolling 10% chances back, but if I really didn't like a result or lost a 70-80% roll on a stat I cared about. Overall I definitely kinda pushed for what I assumed would be important to solving the case? I figure I'm probably not going to find time to do multiple playthroughs so I wanted to get a lot of what felt like the bigger bits.

Endgame spoilers:
The one save scum I do feel kind of guilty about was rolling back Ruby shooting herself. My stats were way more tilted towards red and yellow so I had poo poo rhetoric or w/e I needed to talk her down, and very much didn't "earn" it - It just felt like a really awful outcome that I didn't want to go with. Harry doesn't need to remember that.

I feel less bad about another right at the end of the game - it was a perception check and I had decent investment on that stat. I completely misassumed the nature of that check, and I have no idea how to feel about ending up with it. I almost felt like the game was maybe making fun of me for save scumming or something or there was going to be some really weird twist.

To be clear, I'm talking about finding the phasmid. It felt...almost wildly convenient, particularly with it leaving behind a present of a bunch of items that had all gone missing.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
https://youtu.be/pHTf8cEcQWk

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's uncanny and crushingly sad seeing the expression in action. Really sells the drunk hobocop vibe.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMg--oc-xzs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Thesis

Antithesis

Synthesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cBR5uaokE

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Is there a word for someone like Harry deliberately trolling themself?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oxyclean posted:

Endgame spoilers:
The one save scum I do feel kind of guilty about was rolling back Ruby shooting herself. My stats were way more tilted towards red and yellow so I had poo poo rhetoric or w/e I needed to talk her down, and very much didn't "earn" it - It just felt like a really awful outcome that I didn't want to go with. Harry doesn't need to remember that.

Don't feel guilty. My first time at that encounter I miss clicked "Go ahead do it" and no. just no. As someone with mental health issues etc, I'm not accepting that EVER. The game does have an option to just quit into a fail state right then and there also. I managed to pass the Rhetoric check with almost nothing in Rhetoric tho right after, I wanted to give it a try and felt like the game was also giving it to me. But I also had a thought in the cabinet that lowered the success threshold and a pair of dice I think helps with a bunch of checks that might include that one.

KORNOLOGY posted:

Is there a word for someone like Harry deliberately trolling themself?

Being alive.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also can't believe how many seemingly random things pay off and tie together when I found out that the dead guy from the boardwalk actually lived in town - I got a huge sinking feeling. I don't know at exactly what point I went "OH NO." but...yeesh. I actually didn't poke around the room, do you get penalties for doing so?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No, just some very sad details about their life. That part of the game is played totally straight.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can you take advantage of not calling in your missing badge and gun? It seems like your previous partner shows up once the lock opens and you're able to go get your badge, so I assume if you call in after that point it will play out a bit differently, but I also assume the assessment at the end will razz you for not calling in or they will still know your stuff went missing and give you poo poo for not calling it in.

I think I also maybe missed some stuff regarding the cop-off So at the end it gets revealed that you originally came to town with your unit - I'm a bit confused for what that means regarding neither station wanting to take responsibility for Martinaise. The implication I got was Harry + Kim were paired together on purpose as part of the cop-off?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 14, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This should be silly but for some reason it made me cry.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Oxyclean posted:

Can you take advantage of not calling in your missing badge and gun? It seems like your previous partner shows up once the lock opens and you're able to go get your badge, so I assume if you call in after that point it will play out a bit differently, but I also assume the assessment at the end will razz you for not calling in or they will still know your stuff went missing and give you poo poo for not calling it in.

I think I also maybe missed some stuff regarding the cop-off So at the end it gets revealed that you originally came to town with your unit - I'm a bit confused for what that means regarding neither station wanting to take responsibility for Martinaise. The implication I got was Harry + Kim were paired together on purpose as part of the cop-off?

From what I have read you can't really successfully pretend you never lost your memory, not 100% about the badge and gun. I was planning to try a run where my Harry pretended like he knew what was going on but from what I have read online that isn't really possible.

For my first run I went with they physical prebuilt build 1 2 5 4. I am thinking about starting again and doing a 5 3 2 2 or something like a 5 4 2 1, and trying to focus on skills I didn't see much of in my first run. Would I get a good deal of new content from that, any other stat builds worth trying out?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not surprising but a little disappointing. I def want to do a run where Harry does his best to pretend to be normal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Boring Cop is relative

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

so which check was this

https://i.imgur.com/cmBLkHL.mp4

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

savoir-faire for the first, electrochemistry for the second

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Hand/eye coordination

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Conceptualization

wrestling is art

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Conceptualization

wrestling is art

(not sure who to credit this to but I’m still laughing at it days later)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Absolutely not