Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Kobal2 posted:

You mean like starting a storm from halfway across the map with no possible LOS from/to the squad ? Or just the sheer disruption power of a Blightstormer appearing and immediately loving the whole party over ?

Both and more. Just had a run where a Blightstormer trapped our group in a chokepoint. He just kept throwing us back into his storm without a chance to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

im permabanned poster blightstormer88,

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit. I just remembered less of that sort of thing in the Darktide beta. I think you could even deflect Pox Hounds' leap attacks if you were blocking.

the net disable guy seems insane but maybe my beta groups just didn’t know how to react to him

Orv
May 4, 2011

dmboogie posted:

the net disable guy seems insane but maybe my beta groups just didn’t know how to react to him

I really only saw trouble with the net special with teams that already weren’t the best at paying attention. Lots of complaints going around about some of them not having loud enough cues but it seemed fine on my end.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
How was the performance in the earlier beta periods? I have a PC that matches the recommended specs, but will those specs run the game well?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I forget, does the net guy drag characters away, or are they frozen in place? Because that could be the key difference between net boy and hook rat.

Pasha posted:

How was the performance in the earlier beta periods? I have a PC that matches the recommended specs, but will those specs run the game well?

Hard to say. It's one of those deals where someone with a 3080 had trouble running it on low while an older build could run it on high, with the latter getting better framerates. Chalk it up to pre-release build issues, I guess.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 13, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pasha posted:

Very bad!

Pennsylvanian posted:

I forget, does the net guy drag characters away, or are they frozen in place? Because that could be the key difference between net boy and hook rat.

They’re dragged a bit from where they’re shot but effectively go down in place. Unlike the hook rat though if you leave a netter (that sounds bad for some reason) up it can net the entire team.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Orv posted:

Very bad!

Ugh, I guess it is Fatshark after all ... Hopefully they will be able to fix the performance issues, though. Vermintide 2 was one of my favorite games and I am hoping Darktide is great as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oof. I'll be playing with an RTX 3070, hope that's enough get a decent frame rate on the higher settings.

Who am I kidding, as with any multiplayer game I'm just going to end up dropping down to the lowest settings just to squeeze out every frame per second that I can

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ran fine on my 1060

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pasha posted:

Ugh, I guess it is Fatshark after all ... Hopefully they will be able to fix the performance issues, though. Vermintide 2 was one of my favorite games and I am hoping Darktide is great as well.

To be more clear as Pennsylvanian said it was one of those things where your magic confluence of hardware and drivers was more to do than anything specific like requirements. My game ran mostly fine on high with no RTX on but would have pretty bad frame drops during bigger hordes. Putting it on mixed medium low solved the frame drops and turning on RTX at any level of settings would drop it to single digit frames on a 2070 Super.

Like you said, Fatshark and hopefully eventually patched.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the performance was not so much flat-out bad as it was inconsistent. When I first booted it up it was absolutely horrid, like <20 FPS even in the hub. But after fiddling around with some settings (in particular DLSS) I managed to get it to the point where it was comfortably in the 60s very nearly all the time, on a 2070.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Phlegmish posted:

Oof. I'll be playing with an RTX 3070, hope that's enough get a decent frame rate on the higher settings.

Who am I kidding, as with any multiplayer game I'm just going to end up dropping down to the lowest settings just to squeeze out every frame per second that I can

Aside from performance isssues in beta which, it's going to be a very cpu-heavy game. I have an i7700k with a 3070 and it ran like absolute dogshit (40ish FPS @ 1080p on low/medium settings), I'm hoping the preorder beta will alleviate my concerns a bit. For me personally it ran worse than v2, but there's people with substantially worse setups that had better performance, so who knows what's going on.

It also has that thing like V2 where one of the lighting settings is crucial to having some depth in the environment, because without it all the maps look like globally lit Quake 2 maps.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Phlegmish posted:

I was running low settings on a old potato with an RTX980 pretty okay for the beta. If you're on a 3070 you'll probably do pretty well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I was on a 3070 and it was definitely dipping below 60fps even with some options off

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Performance drops don’t bother me because I can’t tell a difference between 30 and 120 fps. :toot:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Siivola posted:

Performance drops don’t bother me because I can’t tell a difference between 30 and 120 fps. :toot:

bless your console brain - i honestly wish this were possible for me

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I probably can't tell the difference between 45ish fps and 60fps if it's consistent but any time there's a big shift down it's very easy to see

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I played the beta on a GTX 970 and thought it ran perfectly unless my brain doesn’t know what 60 fps is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pasha posted:

the most recent demo ran like straight garbage on my GTX 1080/i7 8700, no matter what magic tricks I tried to make it not be that way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

2070super, ran okay most of the time (in that I didn't notice any issues) but would occasionally poo poo itself for reasons no one could pin down

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phlegmish posted:

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

3800X and a 2070 Super as well, but I was crashing every 90 seconds for as long as I could stomach it. Was very strange because I didn't change anything on the two days I played and the first day was fine while the second was an absolute poo poo show. Using DLSS it ran pretty well that first day though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
3 more sleeps before I can charge my large ogryn boy through waves of Nurgle cultists.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've got an older ugly monitor and whatever is going on between my card and my CPU has resulted in games that just don't... look... great? They tend to be blurry, shadows don't really render well, and I usually have to play around with AA settings in most games to get something that doesn't look like it was covered in either Vaseline or observed through the wrong of a telescope. It's become a ritual with every new game where I have to gently caress with settings for like forty-five minutes because I can figure out what settings are causing the problem. I used to think it was upscaling but there are some games where I turn it off and it fixes the problem and others where turning it off causes the problem.

I'm sure Darktide will be no different. I got the beta to a point where it ran smoothly but the light/dark areas seemed very matte.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I appreciate having a place to talk about this. Everywhere else I go are people throwing a fit that beta progress won't carry on to full release.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did Fatshark actually officially announce that, or are nerds just being nerds?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have a 3080 and had no issues with the last beta and it was gorgeous. I'm not sure what my fps was as I didn't have a meter up, but it was consistent.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Siivola posted:

Nerds being nerds. They're not guaranteeing it but it's the same as it was for VT2. Unless something really heinous happens or is found everything will carry over and it's most likely to happen in the first few days of the beta if at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Siivola posted:

No announcement other than the earlier “We’d love if it did, can’t promise anything; the further we get from the 17th without a wipe the less likely it is.”

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Siivola posted:

This is the most up to date info we have right now. They want to keep progression, but they can't commit to if or how much is kept.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh wait, I thought the preorder thing was basically just the whole game, not another limited beta.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Oh wait, I thought the preorder thing was basically just the whole game, not another limited beta.

The word is “more content” than the last beta but not all of it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My guess is that it’ll retain so long as the XP curve is working mostly as intended. If it’s designed to require 25 games to hit max level and people are completing it in 6, then expect a wipe.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordja posted:

IIRC if it plays out like Vermintide 2, the first beta weekend is the first act, the pre order early access will have the second act, and the third act will drop on the go-live date.

Expect like 8-10ish maps playable, like the level 20 ranks of talents, and most if not all of the weapons.

I wouldn't expect a full wipe, but we might get character rollbacks if they find something showstopping like equipment duplication glitches or free vendor glitches that throw off the equipment curve.

Edit: There probably won't be carryover from the last beta to this one. That might be what had the nerds riled up because some people totally grinded out level 30. This upcoming beta should carry on into live, :fatshark: not withstanding.

Edit 2: expect the third act to be horribly overtuned because it had the least play testing - skittergate and War Camp were messes on launch.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 14, 2022

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0
While this video is meant for beginners, there's a lot of footage of the later maps and weapons. (including the bolter which looks awesome :getin:)

Edit: He also shows off the hub functions, and there's apparently a holodeck where you can test your loadout against whatever enemies you've unlocked (though only as static dummies unfortunately)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if it is a wipe, learning the maps and the gameplay a bit more makes it easier to sweep through progression when the game goes live, same as with VT.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Exodee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0
While this video is meant for beginners, there's a lot of footage of the later maps and weapons. (including the bolter which looks awesome :getin:)

Edit: He also shows off the hub functions, and there's apparently a holodeck where you can test your loadout against whatever enemies you've unlocked (though only as static dummies unfortunately)

That shantytown at the beginning looked great. Got a timestamp for the bolter?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Mordja posted:

That shantytown at the beginning looked great. Got a timestamp for the bolter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0&t=90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Veteran and Zealot get the bolter it seems, which is cool.