Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It makes sense to me, Zelensky knows about people and emotions work. Ronald Reagen was also just quite good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Isn’t there some convention about nations not targeting the heads of other nations during war?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn’t there some convention about nations not targeting the heads of other nations during war?

There are a few conventions Russian isn't exactly adhering to...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't know how much of a political party the military is in Ukraine (probably enormous) gen. Zaluzhny tweeted thet he will accept nothing less than 1994 borders

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Sekenr posted:

I don't know how much of a political party the military is in Ukraine (probably enormous) gen. Zaluzhny tweeted thet he will accept nothing less than 1994 borders

What's the difference between the 1994 and pre-2014 borders?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kibibit posted:

I think they use 1994 because that year refers to this particular document.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kibibit posted:

Ukraine lost Crimea and the DPR/LPR areas in 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think they use 1994 because that year refers to this particular document.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum

This, the borderline itself not changing between then and the annexation of Crimea.

Sekenr posted:

It was not particularly political before 2014, or even up until this February, but it has been garnering an increasingly high level of public trust. Even if no military figurehead ends up being tempted by politics later down the road, their words misplaced could have an inappropriate influence.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 15, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sekenr posted:

His appearance is indeed historic as gently caress. It just blows my mind how Zelensky the actor does so well as wartime president while Zaluzhny the general is somehow so good at war he just wins and wins wtf?

There does seem to be a certain amount of "cometh the hour, cometh the man" going on.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Plus even if Russia takes him out, he's not directing the military. There's no tactical value in killing him at this point (vs the 3 day plan where they'd want to decapitate the govt to get it to fall faster). While he'd no longer be around to pull at the pursestrings of other countries, it could be argued that killing him would galvanize even more the Western resistance to Russia--such an act is fairly rude, as international relations go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

No, you are at war and they are the commander in chief of the armed forces. The US certainly tried to bomb Saddam in 2003 but failed to locate him.

You may be thinking of the US policy adopted during cold war that gosh maybe CIA shouldn't try to send Castro poisoned cigars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11905

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Popete posted:

It may be that Ukraine doesn't have a pressing need for aircraft right now. Russia's air force is massive compared to Ukraine's they are not going to win air supremacy with a few dozen F-16. Ukraine has already done a fantastic job mostly neutralizing the RuAF with ground based air defenses but Russia also has a lot of that on their side which means neither side really has much ground attack capability except for long range stand off munitions which are very expensive and in limited supply (at least for Russia).

Ukraine absolutely has a pressing need for aircraft right now and it's worth noting that while Russian airpower is suppressed due to Ukraine having a bunch of modern air defense, that situation is not permanent without Ukraine continually being replenished with missiles for those systems and, ideally, modern western aircraft, which would have an especially large deterrent effect given how cautious Russian aviation has and continues to be.

Charliegrs posted:

I too sometimes wonder why the west isn't doing some things differently in regards to helping Ukraine. Like the aforementioned lack of supplying and training of western aircraft and armor. But then I remind myself that actual experts on this subject are involved in the planning process and this is the course they have decided to go on so I have to assume it's probably the correct way to go.

Experts seem to believe they should be provided, it appears the holdup is political in nature. Literally from day 1 (and more precisely since months before the invasion) expert discussions of how to support Ukraine focused around supporting Ukrainian air-defense capabilities as one of the two or three capabilities most vital to keeping Ukraine in the fight. NASAMS are a step in the right direction of providing Ukraine with more tools for dealing with Russian airpower, but Ukraine's airforce still has some glaring gaps and is heavily outclassed wrt air to air capability (and every other capability, too, strictly speaking).

Frankly getting Ukraine f16s is important enough that anyone who gives a poo poo probably should get in touch with their representatives and make some noise about it.

ChubbyChecker posted:

i'd be really surprised if some ukrainians haven't been training western tank and plane stuff for months already in some nato country

Not impossible and it's certainly possible that someone closer to Ukraine is providing training, but if it's happening it's being both completely denied and us DoD is putting energy into explaining why it isn't happening and the American political situation has not progressed to the point of pushing for it to happen.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 15, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There are pretty strong international norms against killing heads of states because 1) it causes incredibly unpredictable instability 2) generally just makes a martyr out of whoever you kill while galvanizing a nation against you and 3) usually they're replaced by someone who hates you even more than the last leader

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Chalks posted:

Feels like there's a big misinformation campaign going on in the south near Kherson. I don't believe any of these rumours but this sudden uptick in crazy reports may indicate that they're trying to drown something significant out with noise

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1592259355663302656

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1592220614290714624

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1592199509152759808

It's very peculiar.

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1592179516151320582?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w
https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1592249051101143043?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w
https://twitter.com/BA_Friedman/status/1592228100410335232?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w

The logistical difficulties of a large scale crossing of the Dnipro makes it a questionable idea to say the least given that the AFU is already on the east side in Zaporizhia. It seems like this, if it's not complete bullshit, could maybe be a limited operation with SOF crossing in small boats.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There are pretty strong international norms against killing heads of states because 1) it causes incredibly unpredictable instability 2) generally just makes a martyr out of whoever you kill while galvanizing a nation against you and 3) usually they're replaced by someone who hates you even more than the last leader

Plus they then have a freer hand to start assassinating your government officials.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nenonen posted:

No, you are at war and they are the commander in chief of the armed forces. The US certainly tried to bomb Saddam in 2003 but failed to locate him.

You may be thinking of the US policy adopted during cold war that gosh maybe CIA shouldn't try to send Castro poisoned cigars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11905

Or when they decided to stop trying to kill Hitler because honestly he was harming the Axis war effort more than he was helping.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
looking at the topography of the spit, it's less than half a mile wide and only a few miles long, almost completely flat, with some sparse trees and buildings for cover

it seems like ukraine actually attempting a sustained landing there would be like the us marines fighting the island hopping campaigns, only without naval superiority, air superiority, artillery superiority, logistical superiority, or numerical superiority. obviously the russians don't have the moral or cohesion of the japanese, but christ if they could actually gain a lodgment on this ground it would be because the russian army in front of them has effectively ceased to exist

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

looking at the topography of the spit, it's less than half a mile wide and only a few miles long, almost completely flat, with some sparse trees and buildings for cover

it seems like ukraine actually attempting a sustained landing there would be like the us marines fighting the island hopping campaigns, only without naval superiority, air superiority, artillery superiority, logistical superiority, or numerical superiority. obviously the russians don't have the moral or cohesion of the japanese, but christ if they could actually gain a lodgment on this ground it would be because the russian army in front of them has effectively ceased to exist

Until there's actual photos of heavy equipment and a substantial number of troops I assume it's just a couple of squads blowing poo poo up and making a ruckus in the hope the Russians divert their forces to deal with it.

If Russia doesn't interrupt them and they're actually able to establish a bridgehead, well, lol

I guess it could have started out as a deception but if Russia doesn't take the bait Ukraine might decide to turn it into an actual offensive.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Wouldn't Ukranian artillery from the mainland be able to cover them?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's got:

1- No built defenses there
2- One road that is easily targeted by Ukrainian artillery and drones
3- Nearly 200km from the closest Russian Rail Head
4- Is very easy for light infantry to attack and any heavy vehicles will sink
5- Was one of the Ukrainian Marine's pre-war training location

Now I doubt the Ukrainians could use it Initially as a jumping off point beyond the edge of the peninsula, but it's the same problem as Snake Island for the Russians. They can hold it...at the cost of throwing every defender into a fire. Pre-HIMAS the Russian Artillery would be enough to stop it. That is no longer the case.

And the Ukrainians CAN use it to help a break out at the right time with support across the Dnieper. Which they will at some point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I guess it could have started out as a deception but if Russia doesn't take the bait Ukraine might decide to turn it into an actual offensive.

Any larger scale operation would be logistically difficult. But I pity any Russian conscripts placed in the direction because chances are there are Ukrainian special forces in the area conducting recon. I would be freaking out at any sounds at night.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also that peninsula the Ukrainian troops landed on yesterday is so loving swampy it makes Florida look like a rocky desert:

I mean it will be importand to hold that to control the Dniepr, but good loving luck moving any heavy machinery in the vicinity.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Usual suspects

https://twitter.com/alex_owski/status/1592283279666855942

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Voting to recommend (even if UNGA has no power to make any of it happen) actual consequences for Russia, would always attract less support than just a mealy mouthed 'This is bad mkay'

Symbolic principles vs symbolic consequences

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Owling Howl posted:

It's very peculiar.

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1592179516151320582?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w
https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1592249051101143043?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w
https://twitter.com/BA_Friedman/status/1592228100410335232?s=20&t=auRpZHOZM2vQjbwY2B7Y3w

The logistical difficulties of a large scale crossing of the Dnipro makes it a questionable idea to say the least given that the AFU is already on the east side in Zaporizhia. It seems like this, if it's not complete bullshit, could maybe be a limited operation with SOF crossing in small boats.

Speculating, but maybe they are trying to lure elements of the Black Sea Fleet within range of Harpoons.

Or they feel that the thread of Harpoons is enough to ensure over water supply of the flanking force won’t be interdicted.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As posted before, everyone always underestimates ammunition expenditure in human history. In the late 1800s with the advent of magazine-fed bolt action rifles, many countries initially viewed the magazine as "for emergencies only" and had a cutoff that forced the soldiers to fire single shots and reload one round at a time, in an effort to conserve ammunition expenditure. NATO famously ran out of PGMs over Libya in a week and a half.

It's a fairly interesting acquisitions problem, because it takes time, effort and knowledge to produce various kinds of munitions, and the more complex they are, the more pieces of the supply chain exist where you have to maintain institutional knowledge and capability. It's relatively easy to produce more dumb 152mm artillery rounds (the Bulgarians are cranking them out these days), but it's relatively hard to ramp up production of something like GMLRS rockets. Now, there are so many more consumables that are very high complexity compared to prior at-scale industrialized war. In WWII you can convert a typewriter factory over to making rifles. I don't think there's any kind of logical conversion program to make most of the advanced weapons and ammunitions that are required in a modern war. In an ideal world the war would lead to better procurement practices for consumables, but this has been happening for a long time and I doubt there will be huge changes.

Most of the efficiency gain is in miniaturization, and the tech for that is really cutting edge in modern manufacturing. Unfortunately actually making it is slow and expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qifd3yn9S0

Problem is that it's going to take another world war to see production ramp enough and sudden acceptince of more experimental designs in response to challenges to change designs and see substantial numbers made.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Kinburn is not particularly strategically important today but it was very important historically, and it’s a famous spot.

Kinburn was the site of the last major battle of the Crimean war. The Anglo-French fleet bombarded Russian forts guarding the entrance to the Dniper in to rubble. It’s notable because the French used then-new iron plated warships and their performance was deemed very impressive. Lessons learned kicked off the Anglo French ironclad building programs, arguably the first industrial era arms race.

There was also a landing by the Ottomans in 1787 to try to capture the same fortress, which was unsuccessful. The victory is part of Suvorov’s legacy and at one point the Russian Navy (imperial edition) planned the name for a Borodino class battle cruiser during the dreadnought arms race. She was broken up incomplete during WWI.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Russia’s response to losing Kherson: cruise missile barrage at Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/elintnews/status/1592504576888172544?s=46&t=UCKcI7NF8aRcIUp7oflOAA

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1592513005224615940

More tantrums with zero strategic value it seems

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1592513005224615940

More tantrums with zero strategic value it seems

Well i mean those kindergartens and walking bridges aren't going to bomb themselves

Part of me feels like they just have a bunch of cruise missiles that they know are poo poo and can't precision strike anything so they just toss it at a whole rear end city but I will admit by now we know wasting good cruise missiles for petty terror bombing is not out of the question lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also note: When the US says it is low on munitions, it means it’s low given baseline stores and requirements to support several contingency plans.

So you could have thousands of a special munition and still say you don’t have enough to spare any.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Good job hanging out with mass murderers, 19/20 G20 "world leaders".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As miserable as it is for civilians, it's unfortunately probably "better" for long term outcomes if the Russians keep throwing Kinzhals and other advanced missiles at various parts of Kyiv rather than trying to hit more strategically useful targets.

Goes without saying that the best outcome would be "none of the above" but well, here we are.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Everyone saw this big barrage coming but I think its still shocking they did it in the middle of the G20

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

Everyone saw this big barrage coming but I think its still shocking they did it in the middle of the G20

Why wouldn't they?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This is a big one

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1592539565910548480

gently caress Putin, I look forward to Ukraine liberating every inch of territory.

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1592540241583570944

Time to see how effective UAs AA has become since Feb 24th

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 15, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kibibit posted:

It's also the first black-on-white agreement with security guarantees from the US and UK, which they then reneged on because once you've lost your nukes WGAF about what you think.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The timing for these strikes is just weird. You'd think they'd do it after a prolonged stalemate where spirits might drop among Ukrainian population, to tilt it to a unfavourable stance and maybe force some talks. But just after a morale booster like taking Kherson? I know pettyness is the answer, but it just feels so dumb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mikojan posted:

The timing for these strikes is just weird. You'd think they'd do it after a prolonged stalemate where spirits might drop among Ukrainian population, to tilt it to a unfavourable stance and maybe force some talks. But just after a morale booster like taking Kherson? I know pettyness is the answer, but it just feels so dumb

it's not about ukranian morale, it's about russian morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1592385930270121986