Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If billionaires cared about people they wouldn't be billionaires, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

boofhead posted:

He could have hired a team of round the clock therapists

Men will literally burn billion dollar social networks to the ground instead of going to therapy.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've been through lots of drug/alcohol therapy and I can safely say that Elon Musk would be an immediate pariah and would never make it in that situation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh it could never work, therapy requires that you put trust in another individual that they can help find wisdom you don't, while acknowledging your own flaws, it's everything Musk is incapable of doing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The problem with philanthropy is that every billionaire already does it. Bezos was in the news recently for giving away 100 million (0.08%) of his wealth. Musk wants to go down in history as a thought leader and Great Man which means doing poo poo that hasn’t been done.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/tesseralis/status/1592293632413138945

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

jeffreyw posted:

Does Musk even have any hobbies? Beyond desperately trying to be a Twitter Superstar, to the point he bought the entire platform to give himself a leg up, he doesn’t seem to have anything to do in his life.

He literally is the most boring individual in the world.

I suppose racism would count as a hobby for a white South African

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

massive spider posted:

The problem with philanthropy is that every billionaire already does it. Bezos was in the news recently for giving away 100 million (0.08%) of his wealth. Musk wants to go down in history as a thought leader and Great Man which means doing poo poo that hasn’t been done.

I was having a conversation with my parents about this tonight, mostly around how anyone who actually has even an inkling of empathy could never become a billionaire in the first place. My mom said MacKenzie Scott (Bezo's ex-wife) cared about people because she donates billions to charities. I had to point out that while she's given away billions, her donations will never cause her to NOT be a billionaire. She could give away $10,000 a day and she'd only lose a billion dollars after about 270 years. Who the gently caress needs at least a billion dollars to live their lives?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592447141720780803

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tried to download my twitter data three days ago, it said it would take a few hours to process, three days later I got a notification it was done but when trying to get it:

Guess 'ol musky turned that microservice off

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

I was having a conversation with my parents about this tonight, mostly around how anyone who actually has even an inkling of empathy could never become a billionaire in the first place. My mom said MacKenzie Scott (Bezo's ex-wife) cared about people because she donates billions to charities. I had to point out that while she's given away billions, her donations will never cause her to NOT be a billionaire. She could give away $10,000 a day and she'd only lose a billion dollars after about 270 years. Who the gently caress needs at least a billion dollars to live their lives?

That seems like a bad example of someone to poo poo on.

Sure she could do a lot more but it far exceeds most donors as a % of net worth, regardless of what she keeps.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

BlackIronHeart posted:

Who the gently caress needs at least a billion dollars to live their lives?

I believe I could have that amount of money and not get corrupted

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlackIronHeart posted:

Doesn't she actually try to donate it all away and literally can't do it fast enough?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I hope someone replied with https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+do+I+quit+vim

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midnight Voyager posted:

Doesn't she actually try to donate it all away and literally can't do it fast enough?

We have an example right in this thread.

boofhead posted:

The rich have already learned long ago that you don't actually need to do philanthropy to get kudos for being a philanthropist, it's a lot cheaper and more effective if you just fake it, as they all do.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
he's aged 16 years in the last 4 years he's clearly compromised

just imagine if you had to constantly acquire companies and shitpost to manically save face like that or the saudis release the files

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Elon just deleted that “He’s Fired” tweet, presumably because that engineer’s response ratio’d him.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
So is Jeffrey planning on snapping up some of these tech free agents? Maybe see if one of them wants a go at the front page.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
btw astral told me this site has to do 600 sql merges per second so if it's slow that's why

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SuddenCactus posted:

I believe I could have that amount of money and not get corrupted

I mean, me too, but thats assuming my billion dollar cocaine orgy and comprehensive health screening is understood to be done from a place of pure desire to help.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

Usually the money is tied up productively in the economy through bonds, stocks/company ownership, loans, etc. Question is why does a woman get to own/control huge chunks of the economy just for having married some dude? Even as a freemarketeer you gotta admit that it would be better for society and the economy if that ownership was spread out over more people. It's not like she is some heroic captain of industry allocating the capital in the most productive manner. She's an author and her wealth is managed by hired financial advisors.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Usually the money is tied up productively in the economy through bonds, stocks/company ownership, loans, etc. Question is why does a woman get to own/control huge chunks of the economy just for having married some dude? Even as a freemarketeer you gotta admit that it would be better for society and the economy if that ownership was spread out over more people. It's not like she is some heroic captain of industry allocating the capital in the most productive manner. She's an author and her wealth is managed by hired financial advisors.

OTOH, the captains of industry these days are some bigass fuckwits

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GABA ghoul posted:

being married to a billionaire involves more emotional labor than the amount of any type of labor being done by the billionaire

also you gotta touch their peeny sometimes, yuck

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure almost anyone would fall into the same trap if they ended up with billions of dollars as much as they would want to believe they'd be different.

This is why we need a support system in place to make sure people are never afflicted with having lots of money and prevent this scourge from taking hold.

I volunteer to collect and appropriate all the cash.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Give it a few weeks and we'll be able to afford to buy Twitter ourselves

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I genuinely thought Musk taking over Twitter would basically mean business as usual in the short term, with some staff quitting because they didn't want to work for him, but overall a relatively minimal level of drama. Even the retrograde "everyone back in the office for 40+ hours a week" edict was forseeable given that's what he did previously with Tesla, so not really dramatic.

This was more than I ever dared hope for.

Even him publicly dragging on his employees, getting shown up for his ignorance by them and then saying "you're fired!" like it's The Apprentice is extremely funny, since I know those engineers dgaf and have plenty of options, if they weren't already halfway out the door.

Come to think of it.. maybe Musk basically is Trump lite back on Twitter at this point.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dont have a twitter and I am not signing up.

But I would love for one their engineers to explain what the cost to build a twitter 2.0 from scratch would be.

Like Elon coulda spent 2 billion on servers and coders and make his own twitter his own way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

But I would love for one their engineers to explain what the cost to build a twitter 2.0 from scratch would be.

Like Elon coulda spent 2 billion on servers and coders and make his own twitter his own way.

If you used mastodon's open source code as your base, less than you'd think (but also more than you'd think). Although that would be locking you into open-source. But the issue with doing that is nobody would use it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is ridiculous

how much cocaine can one man imbibe without dying

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mx. posted:

this is ridiculous

how much cocaine can one man imbibe without dying

let's just say that's the real reason he sold 4 billion tesla stock the other day

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

Twitter's only real value is in the userbase, and thus inertia.

The technical and implementation side of it isn't particularly noteworthy (no offence to sysadmins), the architecture is no different than any other entity needing to serve X requests concurrently, with the capacity to scale on demand.

It would take more than what we've seen already to destroy Twitter, but it certainly is possible. Anyone who doubts that need only look at MySpace.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Durzel posted:

The technical and implementation side of it isn't particularly noteworthy (no offence to sysadmins), the architecture is no different than any other entity needing to serve X requests concurrently, with the capacity to scale on demand.

Eh, the noteworthy engineering challenge with twitter is its capacity and loadbearing at scale, and they've done a pretty impressive job stabilising that at radically high traffic nowadays, as compared to the old fail whale era.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Durzel posted:

It would take more than what we've seen already to destroy Twitter, but it certainly is possible. Anyone who doubts that need only look at MySpace.

So twitter has alot of debt. Elon used stock to barrow to buy twitter. Yeah I get that that the userbase is what he was buying.

But again he coulda had his own twitter with black jack and people saying the N word and what ever else with no debt.

Oh good point about mastodon

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Eh, the noteworthy engineering challenge with twitter is its capacity and loadbearing at scale, and they've done a pretty impressive job stabilising that at radically high traffic nowadays, as compared to the old fail whale era.
Yeah, I’m not saying it’s not important or impressive technically, just that it’s not something that any super popular company doesn’t need to do. Amazon, Facebook, etc all have the same challenge.

The real value is in the captured userbase (while it lasts).

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

MikeJF posted:

Tried to download my twitter data three days ago, it said it would take a few hours to process, three days later I got a notification it was done but when trying to get it:

Guess 'ol musky turned that microservice off

I believe this would be in violation of GDPR and CCPA. If you request that data then you need to get it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

Anyone who doubts that need only look at MySpace.

Myspace is a just an empty shell of what it once was, with most of the content lost to the void. I guess it was also quite a simple setup compared to what Twitter is now, so not sure it's fair to compare the two. Twitter can't remain operational as it stands at the moment, and it'll degrade to the point of inoperability. He's sacked anyone who could turn things around for him, and so it's just a waiting game now.

Twitter will survive in some form, but so does altavista and ask jeeves I guess...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Twitter will become X, the app that does everything from feeding you right wing conspiracy theories, unlocking your car (signal required, subject to car flammability) and even letting you buy into the newest crypto scam

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wonder what Tom MySpace thinks about this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure the outcome is going to be the worst case scenario: it gets sold off after the last collapse, and Zuck buys the corpse and has his way with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is he paying people in company scrip yet?