Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tristeham posted:

i'm not sure he's even good enough for the liga nos anymore.

it must eat at him that messi is still playing well.

You must not watch any Ligue 1, it's a very bad league. A ton of fun to watch but the standard there is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

tristeham posted:

i'm not sure he's even good enough for the liga nos anymore.

it must eat at him that messi is still playing well.

yeah thats fair, he legit might not be

the loss of a child is something i dont think people ever can really get over and idt its a coincidence that his weirder behavior is all coming after that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You don’t have to sympathize with the rapist

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tbp posted:

yeah thats fair, he legit might not be

the loss of a child is something i dont think people ever can really get over and idt its a coincidence that his weirder behavior is all coming after that.

It's quite easily explained by his massive ego, he was still playing and turning up last April when his son died during childbirth. I'm not even sure why that's being used as a crutch for all this. The club gave him compassionate leave when his daughter was ill in the summer. This all started when he got back for what was left of preseason and Mendes had been trying to shop him around to Champions League clubs.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m just waiting for Ronald to announce that it is in fact the Jews that are the problem.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Supposedly there's a second half releasing on thursday so you might get your wish

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

I’m just waiting for Ronald to announce that it is in fact the Jews that are the problem.

Ninpo has been saying this since 2006.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I feel like he's going to want to keep playing and scoring goals *somewhere* until Messi retires because he needs to be #1 and he's only about 20 goals ahead right now I think

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 14, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just go down the romario route and start adding up goals scored in friendlies, exhibition games, back garden kickabouts etc

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Didn't Pelé do that as well?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shrapnig posted:

You must not watch any Ligue 1, it's a very bad league. A ton of fun to watch but the standard there is not good.

being french i watch it, and i quite enjoy it, the standard has been improving recently, some teams like lens, lorient and rennes are playing enjoyable attacking football. of course it doesn't help when most of the best players are sold to the PL every year. in any case messi has also been good in the champions league, where the standard is higher.

tristeham fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 14, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

Pele adds goals he dreams about

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I guess he can only score in his dreams these days anyway

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bea Nanner posted:

couldnt find a full transcript so i stole some choice quotes from reddit:

Cristiano Ronaldo quotes:
"Yes [he's being forced out]. Not only the coach, but another two of three guys around. I felt betrayed."
"People should listen to the truth. Yes, I feel betrayed and I felt that some people didn't want me here [at #mufc], not just this year, but last year too."

On Rangnick
“If you’re not even a coach, how are you going to be the boss of #mufc? I’d never even heard of him."
"A big club like Manchester United bringing in a sporting director like Rangnick surprised not only me but all the world.This guy is not even a coach."

On Ten Hag
"I don't have respect for him because he doesn’t show respect for me."

On Wayne Rooney
“I don’t know why he criticises me so badly, probably because he finished his career and I’m still playing at high level. I’m not going to say that I’m looking better than him, which is true..."

On his return
“The progress was zero, since Sir Alex left, I saw no evolution in the club. Nothing had changed.”
"Nothing changed [at #mufc]. Not only the jacuzzi, the pool, even the gym. Even some points of technology, the kitchen, the chefs - who I appreciate, lovely people! I thought I would see different things, technology, infrastructure."

Other:
He (SAF) knows better than anybody that the club is not on the path they deserve to be. He knows. Everyone knows. The people who don’t see that… it’s because they don’t want to see; they are blind.”
“I think the fans should know the truth, I want the best for the club. This is why I come to Manchester United."
“But you have some things inside that don’t help (us) reach the top level as City, Liverpool and even now Arsenal . . . a club with this dimension should be top of the tree in my opinion and they are not unfortunately.”
"I love Manchester United, I love the fans, they’re always on my side. But if they want to do it different… they have to change many, many things.”

Ronald- "I've been Hen-Tagged!"

Pepperidge Farms Poll:
Did Ronald celebrate?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TheRat posted:

Any excuse to post the goal that Pele claims he scored, but there were no cameras so it was recreated with CGI...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD70ECy5E2k

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Pele adds goals he dreams about

Aka doing a Kane

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mods rename TRP the Ronald McDonald House (of meltdowns and clownshoes) pls.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly Ronaldo has been struggling in the Europa League this season against Moldovan and Cypriot teams. Sure the team's not set up around him but I'm not sure how much that would help, and I dunno how well he'd go in a lower tier league. I really think he's done :fork:

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

webmeister posted:

Honestly Ronaldo has been struggling in the Europa League this season against Moldovan and Cypriot teams. Sure the team's not set up around him but I'm not sure how much that would help, and I dunno how well he'd go in a lower tier league. I really think he's done :fork:

For those Europa league games the stye of play hadn't changed much from the previous season once the ball got to the final third. They played out from the back and then it was the Ronaldo show past midfield. Most of the team (Dalot, Antony and Bruno in particular) was still passing up almost every other scoring opportunity to force the ball to Ronaldo, especially vs Omonia and Sheriff. He managed 2 goals in 6 games, one of which was a penalty for someone else being fouled. I get why people think he might be able to continue in a weaker league but if he can't score against Moldovan and Cypriot teams while playing in a PL side against teams from weaker leagues...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jettisonedstuff posted:

For those Europa league games the stye of play hadn't changed much from the previous season once the ball got to the final third. They played out from the back and then it was the Ronaldo show past midfield. Most of the team (Dalot, Antony and Bruno in particular) was still passing up almost every other scoring opportunity to force the ball to Ronaldo, especially vs Omonia and Sheriff. He managed 2 goals in 6 games, one of which was a penalty for someone else being fouled. I get why people think he might be able to continue in a weaker league but if he can't score against Moldovan and Cypriot teams while playing in a PL side against teams from weaker leagues...

He doesn't care about his Europa league tally or even lifting the loving thing. Get him in games where he can set/cement personal records he cares about and he'll start banging them in again.

At 37 knocking on 38 even a small drop in effort/sharpness can be the difference between a goal and looking like a defender ten years younger than you is very much ten years younger than you.

Or, of course, this season is a season too far on him and this is the resulting tantrum over it. Even in the shape he keeps himself in, explosiveness and pace leaves you as you approach your 40s.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
He doesn't care about winning the Europa league, but goals he scores in that competition add to his career club goals tally, which he definitely cares about.

He left it too late to come back and get back to full match fitness and once you hit a certain age you can't get back to your previous peak. He's several steps slower than everyone else on the pitch now. I think it was against Southampton that he got a 3 metre headstart on one of their CB's and was still overtaken.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jettisonedstuff posted:

He doesn't care about winning the Europa league, but goals he scores in that competition add to his career club goals tally, which he definitely cares about.

He left it too late to come back and get back to full match fitness and once you hit a certain age you can't get back to your previous peak. He's several steps slower than everyone else on the pitch now. I think it was against Southampton that he got a 3 metre headstart on one of their CB's and was still overtaken.

This is also a good point. As I said in an earlier post, Ronaldo's hardly been singled out by ten Hag until he's done something beyond the pale like refusing to be subbed on and stormed off before full time. Casemiro didn't walk into the team either.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

He doesn't care about his Europa league tally or even lifting the loving thing. Get him in games where he can set/cement personal records he cares about and he'll start banging them in again.

At 37 knocking on 38 even a small drop in effort/sharpness can be the difference between a goal and looking like a defender ten years younger than you is very much ten years younger than you.

Or, of course, this season is a season too far on him and this is the resulting tantrum over it. Even in the shape he keeps himself in, explosiveness and pace leaves you as you approach your 40s.

100% we would have lost the last game to Fulham if Ronaldo had played. The opening goal where Bruno has the awareness to tap it back across the goalmouth and Eriksen can slide it in at the far post, Ronaldo would have been occupying Bruno's space, taken an off-balance shot with his left and blootered the ball into the Thames

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

webmeister posted:

100% we would have lost the last game to Fulham if Ronaldo had played. The opening goal where Bruno has the awareness to tap it back across the goalmouth and Eriksen can slide it in at the far post, Ronaldo would have been occupying Bruno's space, taken an off-balance shot with his left and blootered the ball into the Thames

Yeah it's a shame he hasn't been able to force ten hag into playing him every week

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

webmeister posted:

He was shooting, the ball was deflected into Eriksen's path.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He was hilariously useless against Villa, which is the only time I have seen him play recently. If that’s what he is bringing to the table these days, ten Hag is right to keep him out.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He was hilariously useless against Villa, which is the only time I have seen him play recently. If that’s what he is bringing to the table these days, ten Hag is right to keep him out.

He's been that bad - or worse - every game this season.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah he's played plenty of matches and he's been poo poo in basically all of them

Ten Hag has done nothing wrong

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

:hmmyes:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1592499464010620929

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
what else is left? stationery?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Chelsea gonna have a striped top next season

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Love to watch my best team Chelsea at the Stamex. Come on you c-gulls

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Palace rivalry might finally make some sense now.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Love to watch my best team Chelsea at the Stamex. Come on you c-gulls

Chelsea fans on West Street every other weekend somehow sounds even worse than usual.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Paperhouse posted:

Yeah he's played plenty of matches and he's been poo poo in basically all of them

honestly, everything I've heard out of the club is that Ten Hag has gone above and beyond to try and get something out of him this season, and has had not a great deal to show for it

unsurprisingly, that's now off the table, and we're now at the stage of working out the Dutch for "gently caress off, and then when you're through with that, keep loving off some more"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think 'Swaffelen' works

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

honestly, everything I've heard out of the club is that Ten Hag has gone above and beyond to try and get something out of him this season, and has had not a great deal to show for it

unsurprisingly, that's now off the table, and we're now at the stage of working out the Dutch for "gently caress off, and then when you're through with that, keep loving off some more"

thats oliwan

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

TheRat posted:

He's been that bad - or worse - every game this season.

The team statistics bear this out as well. He's played most of his minutes against weaker clubs and gets tons of service but does nothing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's pretty obvious that he makes the team worse and finally got a coach willing to acknowledge that and use him as a bit player instead of a superstar, which his ego can't handle. Now he's burning his bridges by agitating for a move and throwing everybody but himself under the bus, and a few accidentally correct observations about the state of the club won't change that - if anything they make it worse, because everybody knows the club has problems but everybody except him can also recognize that he was signed specifically to paper over those cracks and quiet down the unruly fans who aren't happy about making no progress in the last decade.