Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lake county famously devoid of rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Well they voted against it too, so let's guillotine them all.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There's a political analyst named Frank Calabrese? Like the mafia boss?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

His map is wrong for Lake County unless he has some information I'm not seeing on the website.

Yes: 109,024 55.42 percent
No: 87,712 44.58 percent

EDIT: I see my confusion, it's compared to No/blank question. If you include blank, Lake County doesn't pass, it's 49.77 percent.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 14, 2022

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah the amendment was weirdly cast as a property tax thing (I saw several signs saying to vote no on amendment 1 since it will increase property taxes). It’s tortured logic of workers unionize more and ask for more pensions->higher property taxes. So presumably the wealthier people of DuPage county voted against it since they’re afraid of higher taxes on their big houses. That and they’d probably see less benefit from expanded union protection compared to a random citizen.

It was a weird election, I got a mailer against the dem state rep that said “Our schools are failing so don’t vote for the dem because they voted to increase school funding! We need to fix our schools first!”, my brain hurt after that one.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Eeyo posted:

Yeah the amendment was weirdly cast as a property tax thing (I saw several signs saying to vote no on amendment 1 since it will increase property taxes). It’s tortured logic of workers unionize more and ask for more pensions->higher property taxes. So presumably the wealthier people of DuPage county voted against it since they’re afraid of higher taxes on their big houses. That and they’d probably see less benefit from expanded union protection compared to a random citizen.

Yeah, this and "it will only affect government workers" were the two biggest pieces of total nonsense I saw. 1, this amendment to the state constitution doesn't override the Janus decision, which was based on a reading of the federal constitution. 2, if the Illinois Policy Institute could come up with a way to strip collective bargaining from private sector unions they absolutely would do it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
That wording was weird as poo poo. We knew it was pro-union, but it was so tortured in trying to make it sound confusing.

Eeyo posted:

It was a weird election, I got a mailer against the dem state rep that said “Our schools are failing so don’t vote for the dem because they voted to increase school funding! We need to fix our schools first!”, my brain hurt after that one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
McLean County was drat neat 50/50 last I looked, which was running ahead of Pritzker and other Dems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't help that "right to work" is an overloaded and manipulative term engineered to push the common folk in a particular direction.

But I guess it's pointless to get mad about because it passed, closer than I'd like but progress is progress.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Capitol Fax guy reposted this so I’m going to say it’s credible

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrankCalabrese/status/1592181607330623489

That 60% requirement seems pointless then. The 50% of ballots cast will always come first. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's 50% of the maximum number of ballots cast for any statewide race?

like if 1000 people voted for governor and 900 people voted for the referendum, and the referendum got 480 votes, it wouldn't pass

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
it's essentially a failsafe for enough people leaving that blank on their ballots

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Badger of Basra posted:

It's a different kind of rich person in DuPage than Lake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having lived in proximity to both Lake Forest and Naperville, my impression is the north shore is old money and Naperville is yuppies.

Everyone's still too rich for their own good, but yeah, different attitudes.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

xzzy posted:

Having lived in proximity to both Lake Forest and Naperville, my impression is the north shore is old money and Naperville is yuppies.

Everyone's still too rich for their own good, but yeah, different attitudes.

This is the correct impression, yes.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Lake Forest is definitely old money. There's a reason F. Scott Fitzgerald mentioned the village twice in his books. It's biggest claim to fame would be the book and movie Ordinary People.

I always characterized Highland Park as the Democratic version of Lake Forest. The two villages basically cancel each other out electorally.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 15, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

I always characterized Highland Park as the Democratic version of Highland Park.

That’s wild

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

DTaeKim posted:

Lake Forest is definitely old money. There's a reason F. Scott Fitzgerald mentioned the village twice in his books. It's biggest claim to fame would be the book and movie Ordinary People.

No, the biggest claim to fame is that Mr. T lived there and got in trouble for cutting down a bunch of trees on his property

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Lake Forest story is there was this mansion we'd drive past on the way to grandma's house and they would always have two giant fluffy sheepdog types sitting in the driveway. Dead of winter or the hottest day of summer, didn't matter. The same two dogs would be on the driveway every single time.

Don't know why anyone would get a couple dogs just to use as part of the landscaping but rich people gonna rich people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hah, apparently Dave Wasserman was in Bloomington yesterday looking for dinner recommendations.

He chose well Epiphany Farms and didn't listen to the terrible people who were (presumably) trying to trick him by recommending Avantis.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Capitol Fax had an article about a secessionist movement called New Illinois. As soon as Bailey loses, all the talk of kicking Chicago out returns (oh wait, they say that this is not about kicking Chicago out, but kicking themselves out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJzXbqyU8A

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Capitol Fax had an article about a secessionist movement called New Illinois. As soon as Bailey loses, all the talk of kicking Chicago out returns (oh wait, they say that this is not about kicking Chicago out, but kicking themselves out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJzXbqyU8A

They will bleat about that forever. Its never going to happen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Frankly, I enjoy it when the talk about leaving. Always good for a laugh.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How lazy were the original settlers that they had the chance to name a town on a recently discovered continent and they just tacked on New to whatever town they come from in England?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oracle posted:

They will bleat about that forever. Its never going to happen.

Every state with a huge blue city and a lot of red land bleats about it. Oregon, California, and Washington have people constantly bringing it up. I assume any other state that has recently taken a democrat majority has the same issues I just haven't heard about 'em yet.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

Every state with a huge blue city and a lot of red land bleats about it. Oregon, California, and Washington have people constantly bringing it up. I assume any other state that has recently taken a democrat majority has the same issues I just haven't heard about 'em yet.

Red counties in eastern Oregon voted to join Idaho. :lol:

I think it was the Daily Show that did a thing on it earlier this year and they even talked to randos in Idaho about it.

“What do you think about eastern Oregon joining Idaho?”

“Sounds okay.”

“It would cost this many millions of dollars.”

“Oh… no thanks.”

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Geshtal posted:

And a week and a half later they’d be bitching about all their taxes going to St. Louis.

and ironically there’s been some people here in STL wanting to secede from MO and join IL ideally!

(We’d still be ignored by state government, but we would be in a state that fits our profile)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

and ironically there’s been some people here in STL wanting to secede from MO and join IL ideally!

(We’d still be ignored by state government, but we would be in a state that fits our profile)

Illinois would absolutely take you and promptly gerrymander the gently caress out of the southern part of the state leading to maybe 1 or 2 republicans left in public office at the state level. Just hope you don't own property cuz our property taxes are like second highest in the nation after NJ lol.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How lovely are things in Missouri that STL wants to join up with east St Louis?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

Have you seen Missouri politics?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

xzzy posted:

Honestly it would help ESTL because a lot of the people and interests that want to help it cannot do so as much now because they’re all on the 314 side of the river.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xzzy posted:

Well they’d get their abortion rights back for one.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Oh yeah, Darren Bailey is starting a podcast! What would you name it?

https://capitolfax.com/2022/11/21/question-of-the-day-3516/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is the Daily Grifter taken?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Is the Daily Grifter taken?

eh, the daily freeper?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Farmer's Lonely

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The Darren Wastelands

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Ringo Star Get posted:

The Darren Wastelands

:vince:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

The Darren Wastelands

winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Popete posted:

How lazy were the original settlers that they had the chance to name a town on a recently discovered continent and they just tacked on New to whatever town they come from in England?

They might just have been homesick. Or it was named after a person and not directly after a city, like New York (named for the Duke of York at the time)

Also, Lake and Fulton counties ended up voting for the amendment:

https://twitter.com/FrankCalabrese/status/1595214186476437504?s=20&t=bQI3hAUai7O-MhxCaTNJhQ