Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Russia is close to pulling off a successful war and it’s making people really upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1592556527612989440

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AndrooHiss/status/1592557060067299329

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Russia is close to pulling off a successful war and it’s making people really upset

Russia is done

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Nov 15, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

laughs IRAishly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you want peace maybe negotiate idk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Ukraine to the Urals, final offer

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Russia is done

Other than threatening to nuke people, I think they've pretty much shown their hand when it comes to national defense. And it is not pretty.

Anyone neighboring Russia not already part of NATO at this point is probably at least side eyeing joining NATO

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

euphronius posted:

The Russians have hosed it from a height. But I do think they have decided that its going to be a protracted conflict. What I really wonder about is what kind of shape the separatists are in? They have provided the political power in the conflict, and we only hear about russia and russians, not eastern Ukrainians. I mean, they are Russians now since the vote, but have all the hardliners from the Donbass etc died in the fighting already? What of their children and relatives? Open warfare followed by tit for tat violence can fuel a conflict indefinitely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s tough to say without seeing how much land Ukraine is about to give up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Other than threatening to nuke people, I think they've pretty much shown their hand when it comes to national defense. And it is not pretty.

Anyone neighboring Russia not already part of NATO at this point is probably at least side eyeing joining NATO

completely done, no hope of coming back, Slava 100%

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

babe, new al-saqr just dropped

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

The Russians have hosed it from a height. But I do think they have decided that its going to be a protracted conflict. What I really wonder about is what kind of shape the separatists are in? They have provided the political power in the conflict, and we only hear about russia and russians, not eastern Ukrainians. I mean, they are Russians now since the vote, but have all the hardliners from the Donbass etc died in the fighting already? What of their children and relatives? Open warfare followed by tit for tat violence can fuel a conflict indefinitely.
They've been fighting this war for almost 9 years and they'll keep fighting until they win or the nazis kill all of them.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

russia and ukraine need to come to the $10000 table

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

ardennes finally broke

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Man, you guys are too easy to get , wtf

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you want to know about Ukrainian separatists you can just read what they post.

Former DNR militia that might have fought with Girkin I think https://t.me/s/donrf22

Odessa doctor that did terrorist attacks against Kiev regime https://t.me/s/ghost_of_novorossia

Murz Russian nazbol, sergeant in LNR militia mostly working on radio communications and field medicine? https://t.me/wehearfromyanina

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Yeesh.

South Vietnam took out loans for stuff like roads, electrical infrastructure, and a lot of grain imports to feed people.

There was some billion dollars worth that South Vietnam received in military assistance, but of course Vietnam was never going to pay the US for that for a combination of political, moral, and practical reasons. The US wrote that part off as the cost of militarily backing the loser.

If one starts from the perspective that Vietnam isn’t run by the most spineless idiots on Earth, it’s natural to be skeptical of the claim that Vietnam paid the US for the US bombs dropped on Vietnam.

The simpler answer is that the US and IMF etc have created an economic system where they can and do deny financial aid or normalization to their political opponents. This includes, in this case, saddling Vietnam with grain and infrastructure debts incurred by South Vietnam in time of crisis and war. It’s hosed up exploitation, but it’s not a tale of the Vietnamese leadership agreeing to pay for the pleasure of getting bombed in a war that they won. They would never agree to that.

It's very funny how carefully you've avoided the realities of war funding. Nowhere in your assessment is the concept that a state at war may need to buy weapons or pay soldiers or that those expenses could come from other areas (like infrastructure and agriculture) in the form of debt.

On top of all that is working backwards from the premise that Vietnam was free to choose whatever it wanted to rather than facing coercion by a unilateral trade bloc.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Nov 15, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russian telegram understands the military problem but unless this has leaked into the public sphere, doesn’t solve politicians being unwilling to do it so plus ca change.

“Troops are needed. Larger maneuvers are needed. Area denial and logistics disruption is needed. Encircle, suffocate, force surrender. For that, troops are required. That's it. It's rather simple. Russia needs infantry. Not Internet speculation about how easy it is to destroy clearly difficult-to-destroy engineering marvels.”

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ardennes posted:

Ardennes... thank you for finally seeing the light... I am always the shoulder you can cry on....

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Ardennes... thank you for finally seeing the light... I am always the shoulder you can cry on....

Ah drat I forgot to put the country I was talking about in the post

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well it is a politician’s war, and ultimately it is going to come down to who gets a little more leverage down the line (or no one does).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ardennes posted:

Ah drat I forgot to put the country I was talking about in the post

weren’t you talking about Russia being done?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i'm worried about ardennes now :ohdear:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

i'm worried about ardennes now :ohdear:

Slaba America

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/LunaOi_VN/status/1470759874766147585

luna oi links to a voa vietnamese article to encourage people to learn more about vietnamese debt. in the article it says (machine translated)

quote:

AP news agency quoted dâgn information of the US Financial Institution for the book, in 145 million dollars in 76 million dollars is the principal of loans for agriculture, transportation, factories… which was the loan of Saigon to Washington's loan when the statistic ended the Southern Competition in 1975 and the remaining 70 million dollars was profit for 24 years. US officials said no loan was used to fund military operations in the South.

now its from voa, which, lol, but presumably if it wasn't true she would have linked to something else? just my opinion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Sorry, this is the Vietnam thread now.

So bloodthirsty nationalists mad the invaders aren't bombing every adjacent country despite that inevitably starting a nuclear war is perfectly on topic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Due to current events, it's difficult to escape comparisons to Ukraine, and in the sense of "prevent a bordering nation from falling into the sphere-of-influence of another large rival", China was far more successful at it with respect to Vietnam (with the USSR as the rival), than Russia seemingly has been with Ukraine (with US/NATO as the rival). As well, relations between Vietnam and China have grown warmer since, whereas from what we can tell from Europe, Ukraine is only going to become more and more hostile to Russia over time. That said, it did take the better part of a decade for China to get there, so who knows how this comparison will play out over the next decade.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Here's a DNR train engineer turned aid worker:

https://t.me/s/lisenko1972

https://www.youtube.com/user/lisenko1000

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Agreed Russia must unconditionally surrender

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s not negotiating

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What Ukraine wants doesn't matter anymore. They had a choice to give in to Russian demands so that they'd still have some freedom left in other areas.

Now they set themselves on a road they can't turn back from. Now it's only about what US and Russia want, Ukraine will only get what either side decides to give them if anything at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Well it is a politician’s war, and ultimately it is going to come down to who gets a little more leverage down the line (or no one does).

It’s a bit weird because the commissariat realizes that but seems split on if that’s fine or not

“These two tragic fates of the Sixth Army illustrate the salient issue today: how do we parse the difference between military and political decision making? More specifically, to what do we attribute the shocking Russian decision to withdraw from the west bank of the Dnieper in Kherson oblast, after annexing it just a few months ago?”

“I would like to parse through this issue. First off, one cannot deny that the withdrawal is politically a significant humiliation for Russia. The question becomes, however, whether this sacrifice was necessary on military or political grounds, and what it may signify about the future course of the conflict.”

https://bigserge.substack.com/p/surovkins-difficult-choice

“As I see it, the withdrawal from west bank Kherson must be driven by one of the four following possibilities:

1 The Ukrainian Army has defeated the Russian Army on the west bank and driven it back across the river.

2 Russia is setting a trap in Kherson.

3 A secret peace agreement (or at least ceasefire) has been negotiated which includes giving Kherson back to Ukraine.

4 Russia has made a politically embarrassing but militarily prudent operational choice”

They don’t seem to get that politics came first, and is driving option 4, possibly option 3 as they seek a non-military solution.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Nov 15, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

new UN human rights office statement on findings about torture and treatment of prisoners by both russia and ukraine:

https://ukraine.un.org/en/207332-more-8-months-russias-armed-attack-ukraine-and-ensuing-escalation-hostilities-un-reports

needless to say, there's some pretty graphic descriptions of torture in here, so warning for that. both russia and ukraine are torturing people brutally, and there are credible reports of both torture leading to death (by the Russians) and summary executions of prisoners (by the Ukrainians).

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speng31b posted:

new UN human rights office statement on findings about torture and treatment of prisoners by both russia and ukraine:

https://ukraine.un.org/en/207332-more-8-months-russias-armed-attack-ukraine-and-ensuing-escalation-hostilities-un-reports

needless to say, there's some pretty graphic descriptions of torture in here, so warning for that. both russia and ukraine are torturing people brutally, and there are credible reports of both torture leading to death (by the Russians) and summary executions of prisoners (by the Ukrainians).

russia and ukraine tortured some folks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1592227644615131136

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

russia and ukraine tortured some folks

Barack UKRAINE Obama

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s a bit weird because the commissariat realizes that but seems split on if that’s fine or not

“These two tragic fates of the Sixth Army illustrate the salient issue today: how do we parse the difference between military and political decision making? More specifically, to what do we attribute the shocking Russian decision to withdraw from the west bank of the Dnieper in Kherson oblast, after annexing it just a few months ago?”

“I would like to parse through this issue. First off, one cannot deny that the withdrawal is politically a significant humiliation for Russia. The question becomes, however, whether this sacrifice was necessary on military or political grounds, and what it may signify about the future course of the conflict.”

https://bigserge.substack.com/p/surovkins-difficult-choice

“As I see it, the withdrawal from west bank Kherson must be driven by one of the four following possibilities:

1 The Ukrainian Army has defeated the Russian Army on the west bank and driven it back across the river.

2 Russia is setting a trap in Kherson.

3 A secret peace agreement (or at least ceasefire) has been negotiated which includes giving Kherson back to Ukraine.

4 Russia has made a politically embarrassing but militarily prudent operational choice”

They don’t seem to get that politics came first, and is driving option 4, possibly option 3 as they seek a non-military solution.

I would say mostly 4, the Russians held it until the costs came too high. Admittedly, I think they could have taken more measures to drag it out but it was clearly a pre made political decision as far as the rest of the war. The “weird tricks” have been rooted in a constant fit for tat but at the same time, we haven’t seen true hard fighting since Mariupol.

Admittedly, I do think it makes sense the US would want to push negotiations now since they have a little more leverage but at the same time as long as Russia has for missiles and drones, then it is going to use them. It is why I would assume pressuring Iran and its arms has got to be in the list.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Deeply strange, as the modern Ukrainian state would surely agree - true Ukrainians wouldn't be found in those Soviet graves. They would be in the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Barack UKRAINE Obama

russia and ukraine torturing people to death and executing prisoners is surely just a regrettable action of some misguided, low-level enlisted personnel and not deliberate policy articulated and implemented by those with command and control