Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

They don’t seem to get that politics came first, and is driving option 4, possibly option 3 as they seek a non-military solution.
This the main and only weird thing about this conflict. Everyone has an idea of what US and Kiev want, nobody knows what the people in Kremlin are thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

This the main and only weird thing about this conflict. Everyone has an idea of what US and Kiev want, nobody knows what the people in Kremlin are thinking.

what they are thinking? the people in the Kremlin are liberals, they don't think

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, I took the statement as more figurative, they had to pay for American imperialism even if explosives weren’t not on the invoice.

The issue is letting a technicality hold up the greater argument. It is a smoke screen; but people buy it.

gently caress the technicality and gently caress the US for what it did, full stop

Seeing you cuss is like seeing my 2nd grade teacher, or my kindly grampa cuss.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well they did another infrastructure strike overnight that did a lot of damage but it feels like these are coercive diplomacy rather than serious attempts to knock Ukraine out of the war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“We are still talking about a SMO. And it is indeed still a SMO. The SMO has sufficient forces, resources and equipment allocated to fulfil the political objectives. But not in a head-on battle. Which is not the goal at all. Yes, I’m sure, Russia won’t hesitate to kill the whole Ukrainian able-bodied population on the battlefield. If the Americans keeps sustaining the Ukrainian resistance, maybe this is, what eventually will materialize. But it is NOT the objective. The objective is to spare as many soldiers as possible. The conquered Ukraine will need to be incorporated back into the Russian sphere. Every additional killed Ukrainian is one more problem, that will express itself in hate for maybe three generations of Ukrainians. Yes, Russia plans long-term. No one assumes, that after the war everyone will love Russians in (middle and western Ukraine).

Russia keeps on functioning economically, nearly, as there is no war. Is say, nearly. It keeps on integrating itself in the new emerging world order. Not only integrating but building as a main actor. Had Russia chosen a full declaration of war and doctrinal warfare, it would need to stop most of its international trade relations and switch to wartime economy, to sustain a totally different dimension of logistics and troop accumulation, training and preparing of new and reserve formations in the rear.

That’s why I assume, that, even after the partial mobilization, the war will be conducted as a SMO, unless the General Staff comes up with an assessment, that the political objectives can’t be achieved any longer in the format of a SMO. And this should be avoided by any means. If Russia transform its economy to sustain a highly mobile and supplied, doctrinal Russian army, then I’m not sure what geopolitical implications this could bring. At least some mobilizations waves throughout Europe as well. This should NOT happen for many reasons.

For the time being, Russia will further on need to deal with scarce resources. Even though there is a political committee established, to support the war efforts, it is not the same as in WW2. It has very tight restrictions, to shield off the economy as much as affordable. The highest scarcity in resources is in the troops. The Generals can’t simply order large scale operations, where you need necessarily to calculate with a huge percentage of losses. For example, if you want to storm quickly a highly protected city with a 3:1 advantage (this is totally made up, since there are so many factors not considered) you can calculate with a casualty rate of 30%. This is impossible in the format of the SMO.”

Chess and its consequences have been a disaster for all mankind

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Iamthisnotthat1/status/1592542817360150528

so the nafos are really mad that the UN human rights office said the Ukrainians might have done some bad things too

speng31b posted:

new UN human rights office statement on findings about torture and treatment of prisoners by both russia and ukraine:

https://ukraine.un.org/en/207332-more-8-months-russias-armed-attack-ukraine-and-ensuing-escalation-hostilities-un-reports

needless to say, there's some pretty graphic descriptions of torture in here, so warning for that. both russia and ukraine are torturing people brutally, and there are credible reports of both torture leading to death (by the Russians) and summary executions of prisoners (by the Ukrainians).

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Crymetimeboys posted:

Does Ukraine have a historical grudge against Vietnam too?

Absolutely. They defeated the US, Ukraine's closest ally.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Branco28615401/status/1592483611458306048

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Well they did another infrastructure strike overnight that did a lot of damage but it feels like these are coercive diplomacy rather than serious attempts to knock Ukraine out of the war

Admittedly, I don’t know what a strike to fully knock the Ukrainians would look like within reason. I guess you could try to max their political objectives as soon as possible but I do think supply isn’t necessarily infinite as far as drones/precision munition.

That said, I think both sides are very far from seeing anywhere eye to eye so it is just going to drag on.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Donrf posted:

There are two versions of why this happened today. It was well done by the way, there was only one civilian casualty, and that was either an intercepted missile or a SAM.

The first onee is optimistic - the strikes are carried out after the repairs are complete. They reserves are all fine finished, the industrial capabilities are done, the air defense has to be removed from the front, and it doesn't help much.

The second one is bad. Strikes are carried out with an disciplinary purpose. Having no data on repairs (from scraps on the net it is clear that they have not yet recovered from the past strikes) and from the negotiations, one can believe either in the first or in the second. Or you can get hysterical about betrayal and victory, like the two refugees, who crossed all reasonable boundaries in the fight for the pennies of the Russian Federation.
(from t.me/donrf22/9205, via tgsa)

Donrf posted:

And the outcome is interesting...extinguished for a long time. After the last time it was barely breathing, now...But this is far from the end of the story. Only the middle of the story. And which version is correct time will tell
(from t.me/donrf22/9210, via tgsa)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I don’t know what a strike to fully knock the Ukrainians would look like within reason. I guess you could try to max their political objectives as soon as possible but I do think supply isn’t necessarily infinite as far as drones/precision munition.

That said, I think both sides are very far from seeing anywhere eye to eye so it is just going to drag on.

the amount of damage that would need to be inflicted on population centers to bring the war to a close through infrastructure attacks is pretty hard to imagine.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Flag twitter demands to defund the UNHRC

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

the amount of damage that would need to be inflicted on population centers to bring the war to a close through infrastructure attacks is pretty hard to imagine.

I mean I guess I could see it but it would be pretty much driving most of the population out of the country and creating such a circumstance that the AFU’s ability to fight would be diminished etc. It couldn’t happen over night.

I long suspected the ultimate deciding factor from the beginning would be attempt to “break” the will of the Ukrainian population but I don’t think that is close to happening, such an undertaking would likely result in the total destruction of the country.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Nov 15, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can see whatever you want when looking at tealeaves.

Ꙃаставный posted:

Today. Naryshkin flies to Iran after discussing nuclear issues with the Americans in Turkey. Lavrov leaves the G20 summit in Bali prematurely. Peskov unequivocally calls Kherson the capital of Russia's Kherson Oblast and claims that a decision on the grain deal has not yet been announced. Patrushev unequivocally names the denazification of Ukraine as one of the NWO's goals, and promises that it will be achieved. Putin names Mariupol and Melitopol Cities of Military Glory. Afterwards, a massive missile attack is launched on Ukraine.

The deal didn't happen.
(from t.me/zastavnyii/2107, via tgsa)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

You can see whatever you want when looking at tealeaves.

(from t.me/zastavnyii/2107, via tgsa)

lol russia is just lando on cloud city at this point

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It will likely result just in the total destruction of the country.
*always was*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I hope this turns out to be a false rumor.

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1592583150081036288?s=46&t=fzvHTpV91IDEBBXs__Aw4w

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what are they gonna do about it that they are not already doing? i'm pretty sure nato doesn't want to go to full nuclear war and thats pretty much the only escalation that is left

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1592581319758053376

lol the replies are so psychotic. screaming for article 5. hell yeah!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Time to set fire to the atmosphere to own the Russkies

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rutibex posted:

what are they gonna do about it that they are not already doing? i'm pretty sure nato doesn't want to go to full nuclear war and thats pretty much the only escalation that is left

Poland should be happy, this is the war they've been hooting and hollering for.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as credible as these sources are, horny for nuclear death to all, it seems more likely it's a grain elevator explosion. apparently these are...somewhat common?

https://knobelsdorffenterprises.com/grain-elevator-explosions-what-are-they-and-how-to-prevent-them/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

Eh, Poland, NATO, and Russia all have levers that would suck and inflict hardship or death on more people without going to nuclear war.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Article V doesn't mean what people think it means. A stray munition accidentally landing in your territory doesn't mean you're suddenly at fullscale war, and if Poland tried to suggest it obligated everyone in that way they'd be told to shut the gently caress up.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/CheneyStan/status/1592583875565613056

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's incredible how many people are praying to be incinerated in a nuclear holocaust

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1592581319758053376

lol the replies are so psychotic. screaming for article 5. hell yeah!

this got me looking for pyramids in Poland and sure enough

Ancient pyramids older than Egypt's found in POLAND

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

seems true insofar as the PM convening an emergency meeting

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1592585156384415744

https://twitter.com/TOPTVPINFO/status/1592583208448581632

quote:

#TVPInfo | @PremierRP
Mateusz Morawiecki urgently convened the Committee of the Council of Ministers for National Security and Defense Affairs. Tomasz Dunowski is in front of the #KPRM.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the americans aren't going to allow some off-target missile to cause ww3, even assuming that the poles (who have actually been pretty cagey about this whole affair) want to have a go

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Article V doesn't mean what people think it means. A stray munition accidentally landing in your territory doesn't mean you're suddenly at fullscale war, and if Poland tried to suggest it obligated everyone in that way they'd be told to shut the gently caress up.

Yeah.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

speng31b posted:

as credible as these sources are, horny for nuclear death to all, it seems more likely it's a grain elevator explosion. apparently these are...somewhat common?

https://knobelsdorffenterprises.com/grain-elevator-explosions-what-are-they-and-how-to-prevent-them/

Grain elevators are basically big ol bombs because moving the grain produces tons of dust that can ignite in a flash from a cigarette or even just a hot piece of metal.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i mean this IS Poland we're talking about here - are we sure they didn't just draw their border in the wrong spot because they were holding the map upside down?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Poland should be happy, this is the war they've been hooting and hollering for.

a genie appears to a Pole and grants him one wish. The Pole immediately wishes for a horde of Mongols to invade Poland and raze the country to the ground. The genie is shocked and asks the Pole why he hates his country so much. The Pole responds that he loves his country, he just knows the Mongols would have to go through Russia first

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RedPrecariat/status/1592566651152728067

time for more tea leaf reading

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Calibanibal posted:

Submarines don't exist. Have you ever seen one?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's incredible how many people are praying to be incinerated in a nuclear holocaust

They've been telling us it would happen since at least first grade some of us are tired of waiting

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
nevermind, should've refreshed

heel turn has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Nov 15, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can't wait for Poland to let everyone down and not try to end the world over a grain silo.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol just do a google maps search for Przewodów, it's not near anything. no way this was a missile that just happened to hit a highly explosive-prone agricultural thing in the middle of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
when i see a grain elevator explode i usually think russian missiles and not that thing grain elevators do