Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Telltolin posted:

Oh neat! I thought the ASCII version was just going to be released on b12, didn't know the steam version would have both :)

They did say classic mode (which I assume is the ASCII mode) may not make the release date, it’s one of a couple things that may come after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Classic mode is adventure mode if I read the press release correctly.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
Nah I think classic is just the version you don't have to pay for, adventure mode is a separate thing that also is gonna be delayed til after release

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

that was a whole pandemic and massive inflation spike ago!

If a million people buy it, then he'll be fine but I dunno

I don't know how many people are going to play it but I think a *lot* of people are going to buy it just because there will be a fair bit of media attention around it. The graphic version of dwarf fortress is a gaming story in a way that the average game release isn't.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Strike the earth!

I still am hosed up by the move to 3D, so maybe it is finally time to learn all over again.

Sometimes I wish there was an “origin” mode where the Z axis was disabled (or reduced to *very* few layers) and the map followed the simple, original River-mountain face-underground river-chasm-lava river-adamantine-HFS format.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know how many people are going to play it but I think a *lot* of people are going to buy it just because there will be a fair bit of media attention around it. The graphic version of dwarf fortress is a gaming story in a way that the average game release isn't.

I most likely won't play it much but I will absolutely buy it because it'll help some good guys who've given some very interesting talks and indirectly generated a shitload of good content

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I was playing at the same time while watching a Kruggsmash stream recently. There's a weird recurring issue about mothers drowning their kids. Like if the tide or water moves and they're forced to swim at any point, they drop the baby and even if it's absolutely retrievable, they'll just stand there and watch the kid drown. And infants not smart enough to go towards the ramp leading out soooo...

between the 1 he lost on stream to the sea and like 4 that I lost to the river, the water spirits hunger for the lives of children it seems.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drakenel posted:

I was playing at the same time while watching a Kruggsmash stream recently. There's a weird recurring issue about mothers drowning their kids. Like if the tide or water moves and they're forced to swim at any point, they drop the baby and even if it's absolutely retrievable, they'll just stand there and watch the kid drown. And infants not smart enough to go towards the ramp leading out soooo...

between the 1 he lost on stream to the sea and like 4 that I lost to the river, the water spirits hunger for the lives of children it seems.

The mermaids are getting their revenge.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Classic mode is adventure mode if I read the press release correctly.

Adventure mode was addressed separately in the same update post, pretty sure they aren’t the same thing.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sometimes I wish there was an “origin” mode where the Z axis was disabled (or reduced to *very* few layers) and the map followed the simple, original River-mountain face-underground river-chasm-lava river-adamantine-HFS format.

You can change the world settings (increase cavern openness, decrease passage density) to make the caverns become one or two giant open caves instead of a bunch of tiny winding passages. You still have to dig like 20 layers down to reach them, but it is much less of a headache once you do. It feels a lot more like playing the old way.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

worm girl posted:

You can change the world settings (increase cavern openness, decrease passage density) to make the caverns become one or two giant open caves instead of a bunch of tiny winding passages. You still have to dig like 20 layers down to reach them, but it is much less of a headache once you do. It feels a lot more like playing the old way.

You can also change worldgen settings to alter the number of layers between each cave layer and the Hidden Fun Stuff. You can set it as low as 1, IIRC, though I don't think you can control how many layers the caverns themselves take.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
In preparation for the December 6th celebration, I'm playing Dwarf Fortress again. :toot:

Here are two really banger dwarf songs. I'm posting them mostly so I don't forget the links.

Song of Durin by Colin John Rudd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU

Danger Room by Simon Swerwer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02nLHpSLTxo

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

my dad posted:

Learned about Boatmurdered while browsing TV Tropes on a highschool computer (someone left a tab with that website open and I was bored), learned about the LP archive, got banned from TV Tropes for calling the mods pedos (they were, in fact, pedos, it turns out), read the LP archive a bit, started lurking on Something Awful shortly after that. Boatmurdered was already a few years old at that point.

God drat I also learned about BM from TV Tropes. We're members of the same migrant wave, brother!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Starting in 18 minutes.

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1590411762221797376

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
World gen looks to be so much faster. Went thru 100 years in like 20 seconds.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Did they also improve save speed?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Popete posted:

World gen looks to be so much faster. Went thru 100 years in like 20 seconds.

They're probably using a hyperpowered rig but still, it looks niiiiiice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Zack mentioned that world gen performance was significantly improved.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone know if they are going to upload these to YouTube too? Twitch is blocked at work

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone know if they are going to upload these to YouTube too? Twitch is blocked at work

They said at the end they would upload it somewhere. Not sure if that means YouTube.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Eric the Mauve posted:

World generation was sped up exponentially because they found and fixed a history lookup placeholder recursion (that was absolute hell when it came to books looking up other books) that Toady left in by accident.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Ă°ÂŸÂ‘Â½
The recording is up! Looks so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLN8cOcTjdo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

The recording is up! Looks so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLN8cOcTjdo

Thanks! Gonna give this a watch in a bit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
do we know if the procedurally generated art will be reflected in the actual art? e.g., if you make a golden statue of a goblin, will it look like a gold goblin?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

do we know if the procedurally generated art will be reflected in the actual art? e.g., if you make a golden statue of a goblin, will it look like a gold goblin?

my understanding is that it will 'eventually'

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Have they revealed the UI for assigning labors in the new version? Is it the same menu it's always had?

Wondering if I'm going to have to choose between waiting for Dwarf Therapist or figuring out the menu I've been avoiding for 10 years.

edit: ah it's at 31:20 of that youtube tutorial. Looks vaguely usable!

esquilax fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2022

animist
Aug 28, 2018

esquilax posted:

Have they revealed t he UI for assigning labors in the new version? Is it the same menu it's always had?

Wondering if I'm going to have to choose between waiting for Dwarf Therapist or figuring out the menu I've been avoiding for 10 years.

i think it's a template-based thing. Dwarves do whatever by default but you can assign them to work crews that have toggles for the various jobs

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not sure where else to ask this: are the donation crayon drawings considered to be NFTs? And if so, how valuable are they

I believe that I own the only canonical depiction of a draltha, and therefore I also own the concept of a draltha. yes?

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 14, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I use the autolabor plugin so much that just having to assign jobs instead of having everyone just do jobs when I want them to seems impossible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Calibanibal posted:

Not sure where else to ask this: are the donation crayon drawings considered to be NFTs? And if so, how valuable are they

I believe that I own the only canonical depiction of a draltha, and therefore I also own the concept of a draltha. yes?

Extremely valuable.

That's worth at least 1 PHC (Plump Helmet Coin).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jokes aside, if you got a Toady/ThreeToe crayon drawing on a draltha, you should upload it to the Draltha page on the wiki.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I genuinely would love to see what the Adamses depiction of the draltha looks like.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I genuinely would love to see what the Adamses depiction of the draltha looks like.

I have good news for you: in about three weeks,

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

I predict the first weeks reviews will be about 50/50 positive/negative, with 99% of the negative ones being from people with <30 minutes played posting things like OH MY GOD YOU CANT EVEN MOVE YOUR GUYS OR TELL THEM TO DO THINGS WHAT IS THIS poo poo

nah Prison Architect has prepared the masses for the mechanics

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I assume they aren't just leaving it as-is, but haven't followed development that closely this cycle; in any case, "what did they do with the military screen" is the biggest thing for me in terms of people still having Dwarf Fortress shock.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

shame on an IGA posted:

nah Prison Architect has prepared the masses for the mechanics

rimworld too.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

As you can see... unexpectedly, they are lion-rodents. I like the detail of the gross yellow beaver teeth

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
i hate prison architect, utterly vile game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sebmojo posted:

rimworld too.

rimworld gives you a fair degree more direct control over your guys though. like technically not more than DF if you're willing to put every soldier into their own squad and micromanage burrows and so on, but it lets you do all of the things those mechanics enable non-obviously and clumsily in DF via point-and-click or close to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Calibanibal posted:

As you can see... unexpectedly, they are lion-rodents. I like the detail of the gross yellow beaver teeth

I was not expecting that they'd look like that, excellent

Thanks Calibanbal!!